Thanks RCCL for making it so easy....

.....to walk away from your company and all of its ships forever.

First let me say that cruising for well over 30 years I have never had a bad cruise that would make me not want to return to a specific line or ship. Problems, yes, annoying issues, yes, boneheaded ship board officers and staff, yes, but, each and every cruise was well enjoyed overall and that includes multiple RCCL trips as well.

So what's the problem you might ask? Last week we booked a 9 day cruise for two cabins with our usual travel agents. On a hunch, RCCL was contacted the next day to see if there were any deals that we might qualify for. To our surprise we were offered the same cabins for $600 less, a total savings of $1,200.

We tried to book but were told we needed to cancel our arrangements with our travel agent first. It was late, so we sent an email to our agent to cancel. We called RCCL again, explained we were waiting for the agent to confirm the cancellation, were quoted the same $1,200 savings and we requested to book different cabins and put through a second down payment. They refused, said don't worry the price will not change they have to wait for the cancellation. We hung up tried another Rep who offered to contact our agent through their channels to cancel the booking, which they did, while also quoting the $1,200 price reduction.

I guess you can tell where this is going. The next morning we received the cancellation notice from our travel agent. She wasn't happy but got over it as it cost us $210 to cancel, which we knew about, but combined with the $1,200 savings was well worth it. Immediately called RCCL to book the two cabins and they quoted a price $900 more than just 6 hours before and $300 more than the price we originally had booked with our agent.

RCCL's comment was they could not do anything. WHAT????? You quote a price, say don't worry the price won't change and go out of your way to contact my travel agent and then refuse to honor your quote? We called corporate, explained the story. Gave the three names we talked and there official response "prices change".

So now I have a travel agent pissed at me, relatives pissed at me because they can't afford the $400 increase in fare and fees and two disappointed teenagers pissed at me who lost out on a promised graduation present.

THANK YOU SO MUCH RCCL!!!!! I would like to say I'll miss you but the truth is I'm sorry I ever went on one of your ships and you will never see me again!

, said don't worry the price will not change they have to wait for the cancellation.

That is where I would have been very skeptical. Prices change HOURLY sometimes!

I hope you can find a cruise line that would have done things any different and enjoy them.

Also, thanks for reminding me, yet again, why I will NEVER use a Travel agent. :) Had you booked directly through RCI they could have taken care of it for you immediately. Are the "extra" perks your TA gives you REALLY worth all that?

Not to me :)

First let me say that cruising for well over 30 years I have never had a bad cruise that would make me not want to return to a specific line or ship. Problems, yes, annoying issues, yes, boneheaded ship board officers and staff, yes, but, each and every cruise was well enjoyed overall and that includes multiple RCCL trips as well.

So what's the problem you might ask? Last week we booked a 9 day cruise for two cabins with our usual travel agents. On a hunch, RCCL was contacted the next day to see if there were any deals that we might qualify for. To our surprise we were offered the same cabins for $600 less, a total savings of $1,200.

We tried to book but were told we needed to cancel our arrangements with our travel agent first. It was late, so we sent an email to our agent to cancel. We called RCCL again, explained we were waiting for the agent to confirm the cancellation, were quoted the same $1,200 savings and we requested to book different cabins and put through a second down payment. They refused, said don't worry the price will not change they have to wait for the cancellation. We hung up tried another Rep who offered to contact our agent through their channels to cancel the booking, which they did, while also quoting the $1,200 price reduction.

I guess you can tell where this is going. The next morning we received the cancellation notice from our travel agent. She wasn't happy but got over it as it cost us $210 to cancel, which we knew about, but combined with the $1,200 savings was well worth it. Immediately called RCCL to book the two cabins and they quoted a price $900 more than just 6 hours before and $300 more than the price we originally had booked with our agent.

RCCL's comment was they could not do anything. WHAT????? You quote a price, say don't worry the price won't change and go out of your way to contact my travel agent and then refuse to honor your quote? We called corporate, explained the story. Gave the three names we talked and there official response "prices change".

So now I have a travel agent pissed at me, relatives pissed at me because they can't afford the $400 increase in fare and fees and two disappointed teenagers pissed at me who lost out on a promised graduation present.

THANK YOU SO MUCH RCCL!!!!! I would like to say I'll miss you but the truth is I'm sorry I ever went on one of your ships and you will never see me again!

If you have been cruising for over 30 years, you should know that prices change constantly. Why didn't you just put a courtesy hold on the cabins so you could keep the lower price?

Good luck on whatever cruiseline you decide to cruise with but understand, prices change, book it or lose it.

The RCI rep should not have said the price wouldn't change because we all know that is not true. Couldn't you place a 24 hold? Anyways, when the price does change, it locks. They cannot, and no cruise line does, go back and honor the old price unless there was a hold. Hate to sound like a cheerleader here, but to some degree, I have to agree with xeriod. You took a gamble and it did not help you weren't in control of your booking...an unfortunate result of using a TA (sorry, my TA friends;)). By the way, why did it cost $210 to cancel with the TA?

Since all calls are recorded, and if an RCI agent quoted me a lower price and then went on to add "don't worry the price will not change", and then when I went to book found out that wasn't the case, I would have definitely asked to speak to someone in Resolutions.

By the way, why did it cost $210 to cancel with the TA?

I'm assuming the agency had a cancellation fee. The one I used was $50 per room.

I'm also curious why you didn't do a 24 hour courtesy hold. I've only used rci once but even I know to use that to guarantee the price.

Sent from my Droid Charge with Tapatalk.

I'm assuming the agency had a cancellation fee. The one I used was $50 per room.

I'm also curious why you didn't do a 24 hour courtesy hold. I've only used rci once but even I know to use that to guarantee the price.

Sent from my Droid Charge with Tapatalk.

Because its much better to complain about it, and blame RCCL for everything... Surprised he didn't blame the agent too.

True only because I know better.:D

Its really a shame the OP didnt come here and ask what to do first. The knowledge here is SO MUCH better and much more correct than what 90% of the "agents" at RCI give out.

If he had asked what to do here, he would have been instructed to put a 24 hour hold on the cabins and this would all be a non issue.

Oh well, maybe the OP will find another cruise line that will do things differently. I think he will be hard pressed to find such a cruise line though.

JMHO.

Since all calls are recorded, and if an RCI agent quoted me a lower price and then went on to add "don't worry the price will not change", and then when I went to book found out that wasn't the case, I would have definitely asked to speak to someone in Resolutions.

I agree. Yes, it's true, prices change all the time. Yes, the OP should have put a courtesy hold on the cheaper cabins. Nevertheless, I'd be ticked off too if someone from the company told me that they would honor their prices, and then didn't.

I think that the OP should pursue this and see if they can't dig up the recording. If the agent really did say, unambiguously, that they would honor the price without a hold, then RCI should do the right thing and honor the price. Then they should do some re-training of their call staff. (Yeah, I know, they should do it anyway.)

IMO, "the call staff doesn't know what they're saying" is a very weak argument. They are the official representatives of the company, and should be able to authoritatively state the company's position on whatever customer-service matter is at question. And if they can't, that's not the fault of the customers; it's the fault of the company, and it should be on the company to make things right.

I think I must have read something wrong. Were you completely trying to cancel the original cruise altogether to book a different ship? If it was the same cruise, wouldn't that have just been a price drop? Or were you trying to cancel to rebook during a special sale? I don't understand what you were trying to do. But in either situation, your TA could have taken care of everything and at the same time, ensured that your price did not go up. Did she understand what your goals were here? I only ask because I am pretty sure that a lot of TA's would work hard to make their customer happy to keep their business. Seems like someone should have double or triple checked that price BEFORE the official cancel was done.

IMO, "the call staff doesn't know what they're saying" is a very weak argument. .

While a very weak argument indeed, its a true argument nonetheless.

The OP could probably go through Resolutions and get this settled to his liking.

It sounds like the OP is done with RCI though and doesnt want to do that.

I wish the OP best of luck in finding a cruise line that would handle this any differently.

I am sure many of us have been caught up in the moment with the "positive" aspects of something only to realize later on that there was much more to it.

Aww Puff, the voice of reason. Indeed.

OP, sorry to hear of this. I'd be upset too, but with myself - no one else.

While a very weak argument indeed, its a true argument nonetheless.

I agree. "The way things ought to be" versus "That's the way it is." Remember, though, that most cruisers don't know about the amazing resource that is Cruise Critic, and so they would naturally assume that the call-center agents would give accurate information. Certainly I would have, before I came here and learned differently.

I find it a bit disheartening that so many posters wish to pile on the OP for making a mistake that anyone could have -- and probably would have -- made, if they weren't among the cruising elite who have found their way to this website. I think his anger at RCI is justified in this case, and I hope he can find a resolution that will meet with his satisfaction.

, and I hope he can find a resolution that will meet with his satisfaction.

Me too :) With that said, the OP has been a member of this forum for almost 4 years so its not like he just stumbled up on it today. Looking at previous history, it would appear the OP has been looking for a reason to leave RCI anyway and this was just the straw that broke the camels back.

I wasnt piling on him. I just hope he finds what he is looking for in another cruise line and thanking him for reminding me why I always book directly through RCI . :)

Sorry for your troubles. I'm also not one to use a travel agent for any travel arrangements. I always book onboard or through the company's web site. Perhaps you can insist that you speak with a supervisor in customer relations. I also write down the persons name and time of call to pinpoint my conversations.

Good luck to you

Tom

Sounds like there was a communication error between you, RCI, and your travel agent.

That's what happens when you use a "middle man" to book your cruise.

If you book through a travel agent, you have to do EVERYTHING through the travel agent. Royal can't touch reservations that aren't booked either by calling or using their website (you can, however, go through a lengthy process of getting your reservation taken from your TA if necessary).

There's also this awesome service called a courtesy hold. You can actually have Royal hold your reservation and quote for 24 hours with no fee. You can do it on the RCI website, and probably on the phone, as well.

You didn't have to cancel your existing reservation first! Always, always book your new reservation before canceling your current... you don't want to be stuck without a reservation and get a worse price than you had. And that way, instead of canceling and losing your deposit, you can transfer your deposit to pay off your total on the new reservation.

Yesterday I noticed a "senior" rate on my upcoming Monarch cruise . . I called immediately and upgraded from a K to at SO for the same $ That rate only lasted about 4 hours . .. I went to show my husband later in the day and that price was gone. Prices DO change and very quickly sometimes.

I would have been miffed is a rep told me to wait, and then the price changed. I lost a cabin on a sold-out TA cruise once because I had a cabin on hold with RC and i wanted my TA to pick it up so I could get the bennies they were offering . .. the cabin got lost because it took to long for the TA to do the paperwork. I was Bull___ ! But these things happen.

Sounds to me like the OP TRIED to hold the cabins at the new price and was willing to pay a new deposit, but the RCI rep said no.

Look guys thanks for the input but there's a certain line that was crossed. Sure I know that prices change constantly but when you call 3 different agents and they all quote a price that are supposedly members of the "company", no its not acceptable.

Those of you who have asked why no hold, RCCL refused to do that.

Those that asked if it were a different ship and cruise, no the exact same sailing on the exact same floor in the exact same room category.

And yes, if I were dealing with Joe Blows travel agency I would agree, buyer beware, but this was RCCL itself.

And those of you that think I'm done with this company you are right too.

I thoroughly enjoy cruise critic and have for years, just never again on the RCCL threads.

Thanks for the memories

bjlaac,

Perhaps you can give just one more call to RCCL and speak to their "resolutions" department. Maybe you can pinpoint the time of the original call, and who you spoke to. I would be persistent and not take no for an answer. Keep requesting a supervisor or their supervisor etc...

Just my opinion...

Archived