Upgraded Mariner level during Cruise

iflyrc5

Our TA contacted HAL and was told that a guest would not be upgraded in their Mariner Level (one star level to the next) if they went over the threshold for the higher level during a cruise except during a "world cruise". That said - we were talking to a couple on our recent cruise and they had been upgraded from a 2 star to 3 star during a previous cruise and it was a normal 14 day cruise. Wondering what others experience has been in this situation. Any first hand input with details as to ship, star level, etc. is appreciated.

We will be within 3 days of moving to our 4 Star when beginning our next 21 day collector cruise and would sure like to get the free laundry during this cruise.

However, if you reach the next level in the Mariner Medallion Program during a cruise, you will receive your Medallion on the cruise during which you reach the new level of days.

Interesting information - the folks we talked to said they had a notice to come to the front desk and were given their new Ship Cards showing that they had been upgraded from a 2 star to a 3 star during their 14 day cruise. I forgot to ask which ship this happened on but it would have been within the last 18 months.

Just looking to see if anyone else had this happen to them.

Interesting information - the folks we talked to said they had a notice to come to the front desk and were given their new Ship Cards showing that they had been upgraded from a 2 star to a 3 star during their 14 day cruise. I forgot to ask which ship this happened on but it would have been within the last 18 months.

Guess what happened fits under the "stuff happens" category but when we crossed our threshold, literally the first day we sailed on an 11-day cruise, it didn't happen. Even talked to the Neptune Lounge concierge about it and he was very clear our new status wouldn't take affect until our next cruise. This was 11 months ago.

Hi,

My tablemates on Rotterdam in Oct. complained rather loudly and were given the perks on the second half of our Collectors Voyage, but as you can see from previous posters it is unusual. Is it a battle that you want to fight?

I love HAL, but if there is 1 thing that bugs me is the inconsistency from ship to ship when it comes to Collectors Voyages--some only give an Indonesian lunch, some give a cocktail party, some give gifts etc,etc, and obviously some move people from 1 Mariner status to another.

Happy sailing

Could it have been a 14 day b2b that included two 7-day cruises...and they reached the status on the first cruise?

Could it have been a 14 day b2b that included two 7-day cruises...and they reached the status on the first cruise?

That's what I was thinking. If the passenger booked it as two separate cruises, back to back, I would believe they are indeed rightfully entitled to the upgraded status if achieved prior to the second cruise beginning. Booking a 'Collector Cruise' combining two (or more) cruises back to back is supposed to be beneficial to you in way of reduced fare, perks given on board, etc. It should not 'penalize' you and deny your reaching higher Mariner status as a result. JMHO.......

If that's true, then I'm jealous! We were just two days short of three star status when we began our 11 day Zuiderdam cruise last month--but no recognition was given.

A Collector's cruise is sold as one cruise. Not every back-to-back is a Collector but if it is, you get one confirmation number and it is one cruise.

Yes, that is what I meant. :o

If you are on a back-to-back that is not a Collector's, you could move from one Star level to the next at the start of your second segment. If it is a Collector's you don't,,,,,,, unless HAL inconsistency visits. :D

However, if you reach the next level in the Mariner Medallion Program during a cruise, you will receive your Medallion on the cruise during which you reach the new level of days.

I don't understand I am only level one I was on cruise last June. I got the little plate which I love, at the lunchleon. at that time I only had one cruise (11 days) my last cruise was 14 days. I have 27 . I will be going on 14 day cruise in June. Is the little plate a medallion? So I will be a 2 star mariner before this cruise ends. Just not sure what you are mean as the medallion. I would love to get the discount of a 2 star.. Is this the pin? I thought I read some where they stopped giving out the pins

It usually takes something like 5-7 days for your credit from a cruise to post to an account. If you do 2 cruises very close together (either b2b or with a day or 2 in between, is there a way to get credit on the new cruise even though the account would'nt normally be updated before it begins?

Roy

I believe the policy was changed fairly recently and you may have talked to people who were onboard prior to the change and you are now subjected to the new policy. We will become 4 star during a cruise to Australia but will have to wait to enjoy the benefits.

I don't understand I am only level one I was on cruise last June. I got the little plate which I love' date=' at the lunchleon. at that time I only had one cruise (11 days) my last cruise was 14 days. I have 27 . I will be going on 14 day cruise in June. Is the little plate a medallion? So I will be a 2 star mariner before this cruise ends. Just not sure what you are mean as the medallion. I would love to get the discount of a 2 star.. Is this the pin? I thought I read some where they stopped giving out the pins[/quote']

The "little plate" is commonly called a tile and you should get them on every HAL cruise. They are given away at the mariners meeting and if you do not go you can ask to receive one from the guest services desk. There are pins for mariners and medallions begin after 100 actual sea days.

It might have been a 7 and 7 B2B. If the got their status on the first leg, then it might have been upgraded to the 3 star on the second half of the cruise. A b2b usually counts as two cruises.

Your TA did recieve the correct information. I was 5 days from getting my next star on a 17 day cruise and did not get the new level until the cruise was completed and I returned home. (My dad was one day away and did not receive his until he got home as well.

Debboe

That's what I was thinking. If the passenger booked it as two separate cruises, back to back, I would believe they are indeed rightfully entitled to the upgraded status if achieved prior to the second cruise beginning.
The problem is that the credit days from the first cruise aren't calculated and posted until about a week after completion. I've heard of some ship front desks being "talked into" giving the new level for the second cruise, and others refusing.
Just not sure what you are mean as the medallion. Is this the pin? I thought I read some where they stopped giving out the pins
The medallions given at 100 days (copper)' date=' 300 days (silver), 500 days (gold), and 700 days (platinum) are like an Olympic medal - a large chunk of metal on a ribbon, but oval instead of round. There are also lapel pins at each level that are small versions of the medallions. There no discounts or special benefits associated with these medallion levels, and the days are actual sea days only, not bonus "credit days" for on board spending or suite occupancy. The medallions are still being given out, but I don't think any of the ships still have the pins to give out.

The "Star level" is a different program, with rectangular pins given at 30 days (2*), 75 days (3*), and 200 days (4*). These levels carry discounts and other benefits, and are based on both actual days and "credit days".

CLICK HERE to see a 3* pin.

Have a wonderful cruise on the Maasdam, John and Carol. Will you be waving to us from the Port side?

Weather permitting, I'll be wearing a red shirt and waving from the aft pool side. Don't know about John! :D

The "little plate" is commonly called a tile and you should get them on every HAL cruise. They are given away at the mariners meeting and if you do not go you can ask to receive one from the guest services desk. There are pins for mariners and medallions begin after 100 actual sea days.

Thank you I heard about the pins. I never heard of the medallions or even saw one. Do they change when you cruise more.

Mary

Thank you I heard about the pins. I never heard of the medallions or even saw one. Do they change when you cruise more.

Mary

John described both the Medallion and the Star Mariner Programs earlier in this thread. Here is what he posted in his excellent description:

The problem is that the credit days from the first cruise aren't calculated and posted until about a week after completion. I've heard of some ship front desks being "talked into" giving the new level for the second cruise' date=' and others refusing.[/size']

The medallions given at 100 days (copper), 300 days (silver), 500 days (gold), and 700 days (platinum) are like an Olympic medal - a large chunk of metal on a ribbon, but oval instead of round. There are also lapel pins at each level that are small versions of the medallions. There no discounts or special benefits associated with these medallion levels, and the days are actual sea days only, not bonus "credit days" for on board spending or suite occupancy. The medallions are still being given out, but I don't think any of the ships still have the pins to give out.

The "Star level" is a different program, with rectangular pins given at 30 days (2*), 75 days (3*), and 200 days (4*). These levels carry discounts and other benefits, and are based on both actual days and "credit days".

CLICK HERE to see a 3* pin.

Archived