Tipping on excursions

Klala

Guest Belle Vue

We've cruised/w Regent in the Mediterranean and tipped $10 per complimentary excursion and occasionally $20 if the guide was exceptional.

We usually tip 5 driver and 5 guide.

I was going to tip the guide on Bora Bora, but when an emaciated dog came out to beg for sympathy at the side of the road where we'd stopped to see the crabs, she had the driver pull away quickly so we wouldn't see much. I said something about the poor dog and she made a contemptuous shooting motion with her hand.

I understand that the locals don't like dogs. But I just couldn't meet her attitude. I *did* thank her at the end of the trip, while she was happily counting her ample tips. I think she did all right that day. I doubt the dog lived much longer. (She was, otherwise, a very engaging and humorous guide.)

So what I hear is that excursions are not really "all inclusive" as regents states they are? I went to sales pitch for Regent recently and they clearly stated they were all inclusive and I never had to reach in my pocket. why would they mislead the public this way.

I was going to tip the guide on Bora Bora, but when an emaciated dog came out to beg for sympathy at the side of the road where we'd stopped to see the crabs, she had the driver pull away quickly so we wouldn't see much. I said something about the poor dog and she made a contemptuous shooting motion with her hand.

I understand that the locals don't like dogs. But I just couldn't meet her attitude. I *did* thank her at the end of the trip, while she was happily counting her ample tips. I think she did all right that day. I doubt the dog lived much longer. (She was, otherwise, a very engaging and humorous guide.)

Anyone mean to animals won't be getting a tip from me. I bought a bag of dog chow in Tahiti to feed an emaciated mother dog we found on the beach. And the thing is, spaying and neutering aren't expensive at all.

So what I hear is that excursions are not really "all inclusive" as regents states they are? I went to sales pitch for Regent recently and they clearly stated they were all inclusive and I never had to reach in my pocket. why would they mislead the public this way.

The moment you look at Regent excursions you know that only some of them are included -- not all. Some excursions in our upcoming cruise are as much as $625.00/person. However, approximately 34 excursions on our 10 night itinerary are included.

On all luxury "all-inclusive" cruise lines there are exceptions. Ultra premium wines and alcohol have a charge. If you go into the Boutique, you certainly have to pay for what you purchase. Until Canyon Ranch became the supplier of spa services, tipping was extra. It is now included and the prices are higher than you see anywhere. Internet and phone useage also have a charge. IMO, Regent isn't trying to mislead the public although some of the advertising for luxury cruise lines are taken literally. ALL of them have charges for some things.

In the case of excursions, Regent literature makes it very clear that tipping to the tour guide and driver is not included. Some of us wish that excursions were not included. The bottom line is that there is no such thing as an all-inclusive cruise -- not on Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal or any other line. Most people do understand this.

• 2 weeks later...
The moment you look at Regent excursions you know that only some of them are included -- not all. Some excursions in our upcoming cruise are as much as $625.00/person. However, approximately 34 excursions on our 10 night itinerary are included.

On all luxury "all-inclusive" cruise lines there are exceptions. Ultra premium wines and alcohol have a charge. If you go into the Boutique, you certainly have to pay for what you purchase. Until Canyon Ranch became the supplier of spa services, tipping was extra. It is now included and the prices are higher than you see anywhere. Internet and phone useage also have a charge. IMO, Regent isn't trying to mislead the public although some of the advertising for luxury cruise lines are taken literally. ALL of them have charges for some things.

In the case of excursions, Regent literature makes it very clear that tipping to the tour guide and driver is not included. Some of us wish that excursions were not included. The bottom line is that there is no such thing as an all-inclusive cruise -- not on Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal or any other line. Most people do understand this.

When I went to the sales presentation it was mentioned that excursions over $200 would have a charge and premium alcohol would too. BUT it was emphasized that one could do their cruise without incurring any extra charges and still have a luxury vacation. IMHO when you pay $10,000 for a weeks cruise tipping should be included. I have sailed on National geographic as an example and all the naturalists and expedition leaders are not tipped, it is included. When I spend $10,000 for 1 week trip I expect not having to reach in my pocket for more, that's just plain greedy of the ship, they should be able to take care of all the service people but as I said it My opinion.

When I went to the sales presentation it was mentioned that excursions over $200 would have a charge and premium alcohol would too. BUT it was emphasized that one could do their cruise without incurring any extra charges and still have a luxury vacation. IMHO when you pay $10,000 for a weeks cruise tipping should be included. I have sailed on National geographic as an example and all the naturalists and expedition leaders are not tipped, it is included. When I spend $10,000 for 1 week trip I expect not having to reach in my pocket for more, that's just plain greedy of the ship, they should be able to take care of all the service people but as I said it My opinion.

Interesting perspective. As you no doubt know, Regent is the only luxury cruise line that includes excursions. I am personally against it for many reasons. I suppose if Regent added tips in with their included excursions, they could no longer afford to offer the excursions at no cost (another good reason to drop them).

I'm not sure what sales presentation you attended. . . . hope they explained that their "included" alcohol were excellent brands (Godiva liquer, Grey Goose vodka, etc.) As I've mentioned previously, all luxury cruise lines charge for ultra-premium wines and alcohol. Even at $10K/week (usually more), a cruise line cannot afford to give away unlimited Veuve Cliquot champagne for instance.

I am not familiar with National Geographic cruises. It sounds like the excursions and tips are included. Are their ships completely all-inclusive (alcohol, etc.)? Are they all-suite ships with balconies? IMO, all of this needs to be taken into consideration.

If you haven't cruised on Regent, perhaps you should give it a try. Perhaps you could also look into Silversea as they have smaller ships with a more intimate feel (but do not include excursions):)

I have sailed on National geographic as an example and all the naturalists and expedition leaders are not tipped, it is included. When I spend $10,000 for 1 week trip I expect not having to reach in my pocket for more, that's just plain greedy of the ship, they should be able to take care of all the service people but as I said it My opinion.

There's a major difference though: on the National Geographic ship, the naturalists and expedition leaders are mostly members of the ship's crew (or perhaps an occasional park service employee). On Regent -- and all other cruise lines covering more traditional ports -- the excursions are done by independent, local companies and individuals. I'm sure Regent and other cruise companies don't contract with each individual; they use local agents and intermediaries in many cases, and I would think it would be difficult to include tips for every guide and drive and boat crew and pilot and driver. Maybe not impossible, but difficult. And I don't think Regent is being "greedy" by not trying to change the business ecosystem they're a small, small participant in. And that's my opinion. ;)

-- Eric

You will not stop some people tipping anyway. Many tip their butlers, stewardesses, favourite bar tenders and so on. So no matter what Regent say, many will still tip. Drivers and guides become to expect it.

IMO, drivers and guide deserve it and work extremely hard for it as this is what helps feed their families.

I agree that some people tip on Regent in spite of what is suggested. It is really too bad because I feel it changes expectations and makes for a different experience than Regent management intended. The way I see it, those who insist on tipping should make sure they go down into the laundry and tip the men and women who work in very warm conditions and make sure they tip them as well as the crew cleaning the decks, painting the ship, prepping the meals, washing the dishes, etc.

I do hope you are incorrect when you stated "many".

Back to the subject, on recent excursions I would estimate that 80% did not tip the tour guide or the driver.

IMO, drivers and guide deserve it and work extremely hard for it as this is what helps feed their families.

I agree that some people tip on Regent in spite of what is suggested. It is really too bad because I feel it changes expectations and makes for a different experience than Regent management intended. The way I see it, those who insist on tipping should make sure they go down into the laundry and tip the men and women who work in very warm conditions and make sure they tip them as well as the crew cleaning the decks, painting the ship, prepping the meals, washing the dishes, etc.

I do hope you are incorrect when you stated "many".

Back to the subject, on recent excursions I would estimate that 80% did not tip the tour guide or the driver.

I have no problem with tipping guides and drivers except in the larger picture I would prefer that those people were paid a wage which did not "force" them to rely on tips to feed their families. I am surprised at your estimate of 80% non tippers. Because of mobility problems we are usually last off the bus and I see most people tipping.

As far as "many" is concerned, I do find it fairly commom on the last evening to see tips handed over. And you only have to read these threads (and on the Seabourn board for example,) where several openly say they tip and intend to continue doing so.

I have no problem with tipping guides and drivers except in the larger picture I would prefer that those people were paid a wage which did not "force" them to rely on tips to feed their families. I am surprised at your estimate of 80% non tippers. Because of mobility problems we are usually last off the bus and I see most people tipping.

As far as "many" is concerned, I do find it fairly commom on the last evening to see tips handed over. And you only have to read these threads (and on the Seabourn board for example,) where several openly say they tip and intend to continue doing so.

I don't normally pay attention to whether a person tips or not. I did on our recent Middle East cruise because there were several very long, tedious excursions and I have never seen such a group of grumpy passengers on Regent before.* The tour guides had their hands full. They seemed to remain grumpy when getting off the bus and headed off to the ship without even a nod to the tour guide.

Definitely agree that people should be paid a wage that does not make them depend upon tips.

*A couple of examples of problems on the tour buses: Some people wanted the shades down as the sun was hot on the windows and passengers on the other side of the isle had the sun in their eyes. The moment the shade was lowered, a few passengers quite rudely shouted to open the shade because they wanted to see out of the window. This continued on and off for a long time. There was the discussion of "it's too hot" vs. "it's too cold". There was a man who had a walker but only made use of it to get off of the ship first. It was stored in the bus and was not taken out again -- no matter how far he had to walk. This was upsetting on many levels. One passenger wanted the bus to detour and drop her off at the hotel. It seemed as if a small handful of passengers made it uncomfortable for the whole bus. My DH and I kept out mouth shut and gave each other special looks that indicated what we were feeling:confused: Bottom line, the tour guides and drivers really deserved a tip.

This thread has amazed me. There are people who are "assuming" that tour guides aren't paid a living wage similar to service people in the US and many cruise ship employees.

Tipping in the US is based on people not being paid a living wage and depending on their tips. In many other countries these same types of workers are paid a fair living wage and don't expect to receive tips. The previous we know for sure. What isn't known is how tour guides and drivers are paid and if they are like the people we typically tip in the US or those same type of employees who are not normally tipped in other countries.

In addition, tipping is a strictly personal decision and should be left that way. I'm not siding with those who say we should tip or those saying we shouldn't. What I am saying is that no matter what people recommend, the decision is a personal one and people should stop judging others by how they do or do not tip. This thread has run its' course and needs to be closed as all that can happen is more posts denigrating one side or the another and no correct answer to this issue exists.

Hopefully Host Dan will close this thread and allow people to make their own decision without suffering demands from others.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do, so with that said, I really enjoyed Hambaghale's (Gerry's) post. She lives in Switzerland and knows the customs of her country.

I used to live in Sweden and actually worked as a tour guide for several summers during my college years. I was paid very well. I liked getting tips of course, who does not like extra money, but I did not depend on them for my income. My company paid me very well.

I don't think we can assume that everything is like it is at home in North America. When we go to our grocery store at home, we don't leave the cashier a tip, even though s/he is doing a service to us, neither do we round it up. In Sweden, the price of the meal OR the service is included in the price. I don't think anyone will be offended or reject a tip, but it is truly not expected everywhere in the world.

In addition, guides who take you to a store--we had guides who told us where to have lunch, buy our gelato etc. Then she came in to the restaurant to see who was there of her people, Kickbacks anyone?

I suspect, but do not know, that guides make less than bus drivers, who probably are more

likely to be organized and get a better wage. Thus we usually tip guides somewhat more than the driver.

I suspect, but do not know, that guides make less than bus drivers, who probably are more

likely to be organized and get a better wage. Thus we usually tip guides somewhat more than the driver.

Interesting comment about drivers probably being more organized. Hadn't thought of that. We do usually tips guides about 50% more than the driver. A lot depends on whether the driver assists guests on and off of the bus (if they need assistance).

There's a major difference though: on the National Geographic ship, the naturalists and expedition leaders are mostly members of the ship's crew (or perhaps an occasional park service employee). On Regent -- and all other cruise lines covering more traditional ports -- the excursions are done by independent, local companies and individuals. I'm sure Regent and other cruise companies don't contract with each individual; they use local agents and intermediaries in many cases, and I would think it would be difficult to include tips for every guide and drive and boat crew and pilot and driver. Maybe not impossible, but difficult. And I don't think Regent is being "greedy" by not trying to change the business ecosystem they're a small, small participant in. And that's my opinion. ;)

-- Eric

Point well taken. We sailed on the Marco Polo, Celebrity's expedition and these also included all excursions and no tipping was required. The expedition did have an open bar, not the Marco Polo. A major factor in most peoples argument is a "living" wage. Just what exactly is a living wage in many of these countries? How can we possibly talk about taxes on expected wages when we don't know what these countries do about taxes, many have a VAT so the people don't have taxes as we do here in the USA.

Point well taken. We sailed on the Marco Polo, Celebrity's expedition and these also included all excursions and no tipping was required. The expedition did have an open bar, not the Marco Polo. A major factor in most peoples argument is a "living" wage. Just what exactly is a living wage in many of these countries? How can we possibly talk about taxes on expected wages when we don't know what these countries do about taxes, many have a VAT so the people don't have taxes as we do here in the USA.

You actually made my point (and the reason for my posting information on tips within the United States) -- we don't know wages in all parts of the world -- not even in the country we live in. Do the tour guides and/or drivers receive any type of salary or are they expected to live on the tips they make? Are they taxed -- is there a tax in the country (as you pointed out)? Because we don't know and because Regent states in writing that tips for tour guides/drivers are not included, would it really hurt anyone on a Regent cruise ship to hand over a few dollars/euros/GBP or ??? These men and women work hard. If you feel the excursion was poor, it's a bit of a different story.

I read a post on a board here in Florida recently saying that restaurant tips of 15% were no longer good enough, and that the norm was rapidly becoming 18-20%. I know that restaurant employees down here often make less than minimum wage (and even minimum wage is outrageously low.)

So I guess it really depends on the circumstance. Back home, I believe 15% in a restaurant is still considered fine, although I guess I should ask my son, who is a bartender to correct me on this.

I know this isn't strictly related to tipping guides, so it's a bit OT. But relevant I think.

I've always assumed that the guides were paid better than the busdrivers, by the way.

Wonder what I should expect to tip in Alaska, where the excursions are going to be extensive, and the staff mostly American, I would think.

Have to add my two cents...

Tipping for me really varies...a Spectacular guide..will get a spectacular tip.

(generally about 1/3 of the time we have guides like this.)

Spectacular quides speak understandable English, have a sense of humor, have enthusiasm for their area. They also know how to pace visits and keep everyone on time. Their facts are interesting and not just a history lesson.

They don't stand in the hot sun and lecture for long periods. they share information on the tour bus and hand out maps and other information.

We also love guides that have clean rest room opportunities every hour and a half or so. (with Western style toilets.)

General ok service gets a normal tip which for us is $5 per person per half day.

Horrid service gets no tip. This would include..not following the itinerary, being rude to anyone on or off the bus.., not following timing. This happens for us about 10% of the time.

We tip drivers if they drive safely and if they help make getting on and off the bus easier...lower bus, provide step, provide and arm to hold on to getting off the bus keep temperature good.

We love reasonable shopping opportunities. Local crafts etc not tacky souvenirs. Frequently shops are visited due to the afore mentioned bathrooms. this doesn't bother us. (Of course we signed up for the shopping tour in Colombo....best tour ever.)

Archived