Will I like Carnival Liberty after 5 Disney cruises?

hygienist999

We leave on the 14th of April for a 7 night cruise on the Liberty. I have really been looking forward to it, until reading several reviews. We are Disney Vacation club members, therefore we have only cruised with Disney in the past. Our last cruise was last summer for 11 nights on the Disney Magic in the Med. All five past cruises have be magical.

Will I really be that disappointed with Carnival? I'm not a foodie, I don't mind waiting in lines, and I believe in having an appropriate attitude. So, I'm thinking I should have a blast, right?

That's probably the best idea, Firefly. I'm looking forward to sitting in a chair, looking at the ocean and reading a great book. I'll probably eat the same thing most days as I don't care for trendy foods. I like the basic filet, and grilled chicken. Based on some of the past reviews I've read, I think the people were a little bit uptight.

We leave on the 14th of April for a 7 night cruise on the Liberty. I have really been looking forward to it, until reading several reviews. We are Disney Vacation club members, therefore we have only cruised with Disney in the past. Our last cruise was last summer for 11 nights on the Disney Magic in the Med. All five past cruises have be magical.

Will I really be that disappointed with Carnival? I'm not a foodie, I don't mind waiting in lines, and I believe in having an appropriate attitude. So, I'm thinking I should have a blast, right?

I was worried about sailing Carnival and my first cruise with them was on the Liberty (never been on Disney though). It was good. Check my review in my signature for more details.

Have never sailed on Disney, but from what I've heard about it from friends who have, probably not. If you go on the Liberty expecting Disney's first class everything, you'll be disappointed. If you go looking for a great cruise, great service and good food, you'll get that. There is no comparison to Disney's quality.

I love the Liberty and it is my favorite ship. I think Carnival's food is a better quality and you have more choices than on other lines I've sailed. Carnival's entertainment is good, and there is always something going on. I love Carnival and it is my favorite cruise line. Don't compare, just go and expect a good time. And, yes, you will have a blast -- you're on a cruise, right?

My review and pictures of one of our Liberty cruises is below in my signature as well.

I read and enjoyed your review Rottweiler. Basically the only bad thing was the food, which was just passable. I hate that, hopefully they have improved since your last cruise. I will say, the food on the Disney cruises were fabulous. We are going to eat at Harry's Steakhouse and as long as my steak is Well done I will be pretty satisfied. I have yet to hear a complaint about Guy's Burgers, that may be the go to place to eat. lol

You are so right, Terre. I will be on a cruise, sailing on a beautiful ocean. I really wasn't the one comparing Disney to Carnival, it was friends and family that kept throwing it up. I told them I wanted to do something different, get a different experience. I do love Disney and your right, it is first class. But, I also don't mind flying coach. The only huge negative for me would be if the ship and our cabins were old and dirty looking. The food doesn't have to be out of this world, but a little better than just edible would be great. I do hope the big shows they have are good, and we do like to hear comedy acts, so hopefully they are good.

I'm just ready for some relaxation with gorgeous scenery.

I enjoy the food on carnival. I was so impressed the first time I cruised. I couldn't stop talking about it. I'm certain there were food items that were so so, but someone else was cooking, I'm on vacation, and I ate things I have never eaten before. Highlights for me were the Trout Almondine in the MDR lunch menu! The Creme Brulee, the fruit soups and cheese and fruit platters were divine. I always was in awe! But I suppose I'm easily pleased. :)

Marcia

I've sailed both Disney and Carnival (and my next two cruises coming up are the Disney Magic and the Carnival Dream).

I found the same great service on Carnival that I did on Disney. I liked the food better on Carnival than I did on Disney. There was so much going on during the day on Carnival.

If I have two describe each cruise line with one word:

DCL "nice"

Carnival "fun"

It's a different vibe but different can be good (though I do miss the movie theatre when I sail on Carnival - love being able to pop over and see the latest and greatest Disney or Buena Vista picture).

None of us can tell you if you will be disappointed. Go with an open mind, but do not expect Disney. As you know Disney is a magical place and for all that is good about CCL, it is not going to be compared with Disney.

You are so right, Terre. I will be on a cruise, sailing on a beautiful ocean. I really wasn't the one comparing Disney to Carnival, it was friends and family that kept throwing it up. I told them I wanted to do something different, get a different experience. I do love Disney and your right, it is first class. But, I also don't mind flying coach. The only huge negative for me would be if the ship and our cabins were old and dirty looking. The food doesn't have to be out of this world, but a little better than just edible would be great. I do hope the big shows they have are good, and we do like to hear comedy acts, so hopefully they are good.

I'm just ready for some relaxation with gorgeous scenery.

Having stayed extensively in Disney resorts I can tell you that you are not going to be disappointed about the cabins. They do not look old or dirty, but they are small, much smaller than Disney cabins and the bathrooms are not even close to being the same. Here is a typical CCl cabin:

3412339881_604589f5a5.jpg

3412340347_04c50a41a9.jpg

3412045363_7bb884744f.jpg

if you cruise on Disney for the "magic", you may not like Carnival. However, you did pick a great ship to "transition" into the Carnival brand.

Liberty is one of the more toned down and tasteful ships in the fleet (by Carnival standards). She will give you a great feel for what Carnival has to offer.

Keep in mind that Carnival is indeed a budget cruise line. You're paying considerably less for a reason. That doesn't mean that it will be a bad experience. Just go with realistic expectations and you'll have a great time!

Strip that layer of "All things Disney", and that's what a Carnival cruise is. Although, I've never experienced service like you get on Disney!

I read and enjoyed your review Rottweiler. Basically the only bad thing was the food, which was just passable. I hate that, hopefully they have improved since your last cruise. I will say, the food on the Disney cruises were fabulous. We are going to eat at Harry's Steakhouse and as long as my steak is Well done I will be pretty satisfied. I have yet to hear a complaint about Guy's Burgers, that may be the go to place to eat. lol

Honestly many people on the same sailing liked the food, I am a bit spoiled and eat at high end places often so that did taint my experience. The food was definitely not horrible or anything for the most part. It sure wasnt enough to turn me off of Carnival as I am booked again.

My cruise was last year before the upgrades and I hear good things about the burgers.

My main advice for Liberty is get to the shows at least 20 minutes early.

You will have a great time. Maybe not Disney but then you look at what you paid for what you get, you wil be very pleased. I would say me experience was definitely worth more then what I paid for my cruise.

We are also on the April 14th sailing on the Liberty. It's our second time on the Liberty and we're really looking forward to it. The first time was September 2010 and it was great. The cabin was spotless and we enjoyed the food. There was always something available in the MDR or buffet that we really liked.

We also sail on HAL, Princess and Celebrity, but we try not to compare the different lines. We just have fun and go with the flow. You will enjoy the Liberty, but really there is no comparison to Disney. Just go with an open mind and have fun. See you onboard!!!

Hygenist999, I recognize you from the DISboards (user id.):)

Ditto what most everyone here has said. Disney is our family's ultimate favorite, but we love Carnival too! To me, Carnival comes closet to Disney as far as 'family fun.' (Singing and dancing waiters in the MDRs come to mind.) And, I think you will really enjoy the steakhouse. Our family has never been disappointed with the service on Carnival, and are impressed as well with the staterooms. The beds are very comfortable too!

I've sailed both Disney and Carnival (and my next two cruises coming up are the Disney Magic and the Carnival Dream).

I found the same great service on Carnival that I did on Disney. I liked the food better on Carnival than I did on Disney. There was so much going on during the day on Carnival.

If I have two describe each cruise line with one word:

DCL "nice"

Carnival "fun"

It's a different vibe but different can be good (though I do miss the movie theatre when I sail on Carnival - love being able to pop over and see the latest and greatest Disney or Buena Vista picture).

I will agree on everything! And this coming from a Disney nut and DVC member as well!!!! Even my kids loved Carnival more than the Disney cruise!!!! Its like comparing apples and oranges, you can't, or like staying in the park and off, you really can't!! Go with an open mind, and remember, your on vacation not home!!!!

oh ps if you go on wdwmagic I'm Dixiegirl!!

Please take a look at my pics of Liberty. It's in very good condition, and as I said, it's my favorite ship. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the food, in my opinion, Carnival has the best food of the lines I've cruised (RCCL, Princess, Norweigan, & Celebrity.) You'll love it, trust me. Here's the link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572916545UcwYmN

I'm a bit disturbed by all the "don't expect the fabulous service/food/experience/etc. that you get on Disney and you'll be fine" comments.

I've gotten bad service on one cruise ever....Disney Wonder. Worst stateroom steward EVER!

I hated the food in the Carnival Fascination's buffet and MDR at breakfast, but other than that, the food on Carnival has been consistently better than the food on Disney was.

The shows on Carnival are very good. They just have different themes. And lets face it, that isn't a fair comparison anyway. ;)

Disney is Disney and Carnival is Carnival. Neither is better, IMO. Just different.

I have never been on a Disney cruise, so I cant compare. As for Carnival and Carnival Liberty, I will say that while I have been on two other cruise lines, which I did enjoy, I have since always returned to Carnival. With Carnival's prices being very good, I suggest OP, you just try one, and decide for yourself.

I am middle aged, and sometimes cruise with friends or with my Mom, and we are not party animals, but do like to unwind and have some fun. We have never been disappointed, always lots of fun and meet great people. When you want to spend a little quiet time, there are a few places, ie serenity deck, and mostly that deck 3 off the Atrium, very quiet, not many people, and you can hear the waves....! As for the food, I have liked most of it, it is not 5 star gourmet, but it is very good, in my opinion. And the variety available on board during the day around the ship, and the variety on the MDR menu, is very good.

Just saying, Carnival has a bit of everything, so I think you might just have to try it once and decide. Remember though, that Carnival is priced lower than most other lines, and therefore it will not be the same.

Liberty is a very nice ship, probably my favorite.:)

I've cruised lots of CCL and only one Disney. I've done CCL mainly for the pricing, it used to be cheap for a solo cruiser. I'm able to dismiss the juvenile entertainment on CCL - the hairy chest contest, the non defunct "team" red, white and blue contest, the trivia, as well as the garishness of the decor. I've cruised the Valor the most, a half dozen times, and it is the most ostentatious of all CCL ships. So if you can be like me, you'll enjoy CCL. You won't miss the crab legs and lamb chops I got on the D. Dream for sailaway brunch. You won't miss having two bathrooms in your cabin. You won't miss having a two sets of interior curtains to keep your cabin dark at night. If you have kids, they won't miss the electronic game of hide and seek using LED pictures throughout the ship or the interactive clubs and MDR. You won't miss the Aquaduck because CCL gives you a waterslide. CCL is good for the price, and since you haven't cruised with them before, you'll never notice the cutbacks in service that have occurred over the last 10+ years.

Please, be like me and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I have looked at many photo's of the Liberty and think she is a beautiful ship. I now think we will have a fabulous time.

Our youngest just started college, so it will be just me and my husband. I'm 41 and he is 51, and I'm glad we won't have to worry about entertaining kids for a change. I'm hoping this will be the first of many cruises on carnival. There are so many ports I would love to visit and carnival does have the best prices around.

I think we will spend a good bit of time on deck three and the serenity area. Both area's sound great. The piano bar sounds awesome also. Disney had something called the Dueling Piano's at one time and it was a favorite, this sounds like it is similar.

From everyone's comments, I find myself thinking of Carnival as a Las Vegas on the ocean. Which is fine by me, as we love Vegas with all of its fakeness.

Also, some of the complaints I've seen on Carnival I personally didn't view as a complaint. I'm glad to know the cabins are clean and the beds sleep very well.

One thing that I'm reading about Carnival is that the food is better everywhere else except the MDR. Is this correct?

Lady Arwin.

The ship must be really good for you to sail again on her. I was glad to read of your great experience on this ship. As I look at more and more photo's, I'm getting excited. I'm also excited as it will just be me and my husband.

See ya soon, as we don't have many days left.

Archived