Drinking water and re-filling bottles

I_heart_vaca

First cruise ever here...so all information appreciated.

We do not use bottled water in our home, period (it is a conscious choice) but we drink lots of water (no soda and rarely other drinks). At home we use Brita pitchers and the smaller Brita filter bottles for travel. This works well for us.

I have been reading a ton of threads on here (most have been non-Princess and I could not find one Princess related and recent) and have gotten conflicting information about the water on board and re-filling bottles...so here is my question, can we fill our Brita bottles at the buffet and bring that water back to our rooms? If yes, is there a self serve water 'tap' or pitcher in the buffet? Do we fill glasses and bring them to the table to fill the bottle or take the bottle to the station? Do you have to ask servers?

I know many drink the water in the room direct from tap but as water taste is subjective I want to find out what we can do if needed to avoid any issues, or rule breaking, when we get there. This cruise is a mother's day gift to my mom who drinks water throughout the night and to take meds before bed. My goal is for her to be as comfortable as possible.

You guys always know so much, so thanks in advance. :D

We really can't wait!!

Yes, there is cold water at the coffee areas on horizon deck. Fill up a often as you like. It is the same water sourcee a in the cabins, generally desalinated seawater, or from the drinking water at selected ports.

The water in the cabin is first-rate.

Steve

The water on board Princess is good, never had a problem with it. The reason they do not want you to refill bottles from the Horizon Court dispensers is one of sanitation. It is possible to touch the mouth of a used water bottle to the dispenser and possibly transfer some germs.

However, if you pour it into a glass and pour the glass into the bottle there is no problem.

There are a minimum of people the really require bottled water. but the idea of lugging two cases of water on board IMO, is silly. Many of the bottled waters are filtered by reverse osmosis from tap water the same way the ship's water is.

You can't fill directly from dispensers in the HC, you can fill a glass and then fill the bottle.

That said, the water in the HC tap is the exact same water feed to the cabin, just chilled. All drinking, cooking and washing water on the ship comes from the same system.

First cruise ever here...so all information appreciated.

We do not use bottled water in our home, period (it is a conscious choice) but we drink lots of water (no soda and rarely other drinks). At home we use Brita pitchers and the smaller Brita filter bottles for travel. This works well for us.

I have been reading a ton of threads on here (most have been non-Princess and I could not find one Princess related and recent) and have gotten conflicting information about the water on board and re-filling bottles...so here is my question, can we fill our Brita bottles at the buffet and bring that water back to our rooms? If yes, is there a self serve water 'tap' or pitcher in the buffet? Do we fill glasses and bring them to the table to fill the bottle or take the bottle to the station? Do you have to ask servers?

I know many drink the water in the room direct from tap but as water taste is subjective I want to find out what we can do if needed to avoid any issues, or rule breaking, when we get there. This cruise is a mother's day gift to my mom who drinks water throughout the night and to take meds before bed. My goal is for her to be as comfortable as possible.

You guys always know so much, so thanks in advance. :D

We really can't wait!!

I always refill my water bottle at the buffet, using glasses of cold water, it would not be sanitary to put my bottle directly under their water dispenser. I've done this at the water/coffee station and at a table, no problem either way. You can keep cold water in the frig for your Mom to use in her cabin and ask your steward to replace the ice every day.

Since the cabin water is exactly the same water as that in the restaurants, it is simplest to just fill your bottles there. You also won't be holding up other people who just want a drink. They say that ship's water is purer than bottled water, by the way, as it has to meet much higher standards.

Fill your bottles in your cabin and put them in the fridge, saves lugging them up and down to the HC. I always bring at least two refillable bottles so that one is chilling while I use the other.

When out in the HC or dining rooms, just drink the water as it comes, it tastes fine, and there are lemon slices available to give it some flavour if you like.

I fill my bottles from the faucet in the sink but since the sinks are a little small might need a small glass or paper cup to fill the bottle. You can also ask that your refridgerator be cleared so that you can keep water bottles there.

I consider myself to be a taste snob for water and I consider the water on the ship to be excellent. No taste variation and no smell. Bottled water on the ship is not needed and does add to the waste footprint on earth.

Yes, please use a clean glass to transfer ice and water to your personal container. We took Tervis insulated cups with lids and the ice stayed for a long time. http://www.amazon.com/Tervis-Tumbler-Margaritaville-24-Ounce-Insulated/dp/B0031QPMYY/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1332168160&sr=8-35 Be sure to order lids and the straws do fit, even though the description says they don't.

We also got water from our sink tap, but it was never cold, thus melting the ice too quickly.

Yes, please use a clean glass to transfer ice and water to your personal container. We took Tervis insulated cups with lids and the ice stayed for a long time. http://www.amazon.com/Tervis-Tumbler-Margaritaville-24-Ounce-Insulated/dp/B0031QPMYY/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1332168160&sr=8-35 Be sure to order lids and the straws do fit, even though the description says they don't.

We also got water from our sink tap, but it was never cold, thus melting the ice too quickly.

We love our Tervis Tumblers! They now make a water bottle too that is insulated. The lid unscrews and is different from the drinking spout so it should cut down on spreading of germs, etc.

Thanks. Now I just spent $70 on more Tervis stuff (bigger tumblers, handles and lids and a water bottle)

The in-room fridges do not have a freezer section so are incapable of making ice. You can get it from the Horizon Court. Or your room steward will leave a small pitcher of ice in the fridge at least once if not twice per day however these are large ice cubes. You can also get a buck of large ice cubes delivered by room service.

We fill our bottles in cabin, top it off with some ice from the bucket and we're good to go. Just keeping it in the fridge will cool it after some time has elapsed. We are one of those who use up their ice bucket each time it is filled.

We've also ordered the room service bucket of ice (and it's HUGE).

The in-room fridges do not have a freezer section so are incapable of making ice. You can get it from the Horizon Court. Or your room steward will leave a small pitcher of ice in the fridge at least once if not twice per day however these are large ice cubes. You can also get a buck of large ice cubes delivered by room service.

I guess some 'fridges are different, ours have always made ice.:)

john

I have always refilled my water bottle at the HC -

i hope you fill using a glass....the amount of people that dont know or dont care about filling the bottle without using a glass

I always have filled my sport bottle at the water spigot in the HC as well as put ice in the bottle. I keep the opening away from everything when filling ice or water. I have never had a problem and no one has ever said anything to me. I drink a lot of water to stay hydrated on the ship. However sometimes my water in the bottle has additives to disinfect the water. :D

Archived