Brazilian Visa

Times change, so my last experience may no longer hold up.

In the past, I've obtained my visas all from Brazilian consulates in San Francisco or Dallas. At the time of the first one, there would have been an extra fee (charged by the consulate) if I'd used a service, but not for applying in person. (That would have been on top of whatever fee the servicing company charged.) It sounds from some of the above that it may no longer apply.

Note that Brazil is unflinching: if you are required to have a visa and don't, you get sent back on the first flight out .. and your airline will be stuck with a whopping fine; which means they won't board you in the first place.

I have used ZVS many times for different visa applications, and they've always served well.

As to Yellow Fever vaccinations: when in doubt, get one. I have been asked for my yellow international inoculation card a couple of times around the world (bring it with you when ever you go to your regular doctor for recording even normal stuff, like tetanus and Hepatitis , as it's a good record and may help someday.) Most times arriving in Brazil, I was never asked. However, it was required the time I entered Brazil directly from Bolivia.... so it may very well matter where else you've been prior to arriving in another country.

Don, really interesting information. The U.S. really "sticks it" to many countries (Brazil included). They respond in kind. In terms off Brazil, the cost of a visa is currently fairly expensive. Anyone who has dual citizenship (two passports) can really benefit from using many non-U.S. passports. My DH uses his British passport and has no requirement to purchase a visa.

Does anyone know if this is still current. I have a dual passport, one of which is a British one and will be visiting Brazil this year. Thanks.

We are considering the Rome to Rio crossing December 2013 since our original cruise from BA to Lima was cancelled. In our quotes from Regent via our TA, they are now charging $399 for securing the visa. This thread has been very helpful in determining that we will secure our own either through a service or traveling to DC. It would be even more wonderful if the reciprocity changes to no visa required!:)

If you are going to obtain the visa yourself be sure to check ahead of time to see what form of payment the Brazilian government will accept. I have heard that they do not take credit cards.

Correct, nor do they accept cash. Only form of payment is with a US Postal Money Order and you need separate money orders if you are buying more than one visa

I checked out the website for the Consulate in Houston and nd it seemed pretty straightforward...except: You have to complete the application online before getting an authorization to make an appointment for submission. Ok. can do that. Must show proof of payment of the fee as part of the application process. Wait. How does that work if you have to use a USPS money order?

Although they cautioned it could take up to 12 weeks, the site also indicated that they may issue the visa the same day, at their discretion. Sounds like this could be fun.

JAB

Just my two cents.

If I lived near a consulate I would use a consulate.

If I didn't I would use a Visa Service.

We don't live near the consulate so I used the visa service in May of this year to get our visa and had it in two weeks. Later in the year it will take a lot longer.

Also, read instructions very carefully. In about five states you even have to provide a copy of a bank statement (you can line through the account number).

Keith

I checked out the website for the Consulate in Houston and nd it seemed pretty straightforward...except: You have to complete the application online before getting an authorization to make an appointment for submission. Ok. can do that. Must show proof of payment of the fee as part of the application process. Wait. How does that work if you have to use a USPS money order?

Although they cautioned it could take up to 12 weeks, the site also indicated that they may issue the visa the same day, at their discretion. Sounds like this could be fun.

JAB

I too live in Houston and will be getting Visas in October and am a bit confused by some of your comments. What I saw was that you might get your Visa the same day or up to 4 days for Tourist Visa and nothing about 12 weeks. In fact they recommend getting your Visa at least 2 weeks before your departure.

Also saw nothing regarding proof of payment as part of application. They do clearly show only way to pay is postal money order and one per Visa requested.

I too live in Houston and will be getting Visas in October and am a bit confused by some of your comments. What I saw was that you might get your Visa the same day or up to 4 days for Tourist Visa and nothing about 12 weeks. In fact they recommend getting your Visa at least 2 weeks before your departure.

Also saw nothing regarding proof of payment as part of application. They do clearly show only way to pay is postal money order and one per Visa requested.

You are right they recommend getting the visa two weeks before departure. For the life of me I don't know why they say that.

Keep in mind that the visa is good for 10 years and the requirement that used to exist where you had to enter Brazil within 90 days of its issuance is no longer in place. So, my recommendation when asked is to apply for the visa for trips later this year before the rush begins in the Fall.

Keith

Yes, there was contradictory information depending on where you were on the site or the links. I interpreted it that typically tourist visas take 0-4 days, but that it could take up to 12 weeks. But the payment question came up on the link to the online application. It is quite specific, down to minute details of the photo required. Very clear instructions until it said you had to submit proof of payment in order to get the authorization to make the appointment. I will call them when we get back to Houston. Right now we are enjoying the sunshine of Madeira Island.

JB

Just read that the Visa section does not accept questions by phone, so will email. Here is the information from the actual application link:

Read information before filling the form

- To reduce the processing time of your request please give very detailed information.

- The form must be completed and signed by the applicant, and the original documentation

required must be presented in person at the consulate under which jurisdiction you are

30(thirty) days following its completion.

STEPS:

1. Fill in the spaces.

2. Click "SEND" to receive your processing number and the form (RER).

3. Print the form.

4. Attach your picture.

5. Sign the form.

6. Pay the fee.

7. Bring or send the duly completed and signed form, the original documentation, passaport and proof of payment to the consulate.

Obs.: in case of application sent by mail, include a self-addressed pre-stamped envelope for

the restitution of your documentation.

Just read that the Visa section does not accept questions by phone, so will email. Here is the information from the actual application link:

Read information before filling the form

- To reduce the processing time of your request please give very detailed information.

- The form must be completed and signed by the applicant, and the original documentation

required must be presented in person at the consulate under which jurisdiction you are

30(thirty) days following its completion.

STEPS:

1. Fill in the spaces.

2. Click "SEND" to receive your processing number and the form (RER).

3. Print the form.

4. Attach your picture.

5. Sign the form.

6. Pay the fee.

7. Bring or send the duly completed and signed form, the original documentation, passaport and proof of payment to the consulate.

Obs.: in case of application sent by mail, include a self-addressed pre-stamped envelope for

the restitution of your documentation.

Thanks for the clarifications JoAnne; found that on the website as well. The website that you quoted above is common to all applications for the Brazil Visa anywhere in the world and not unique to Houston. I am interpreting "Pay the fee" to mean purchase the money order and really not concerned as Houston clearly requires the postal money order and no way to pay the fee in advance. Think bring the proof of payment to the consulate means bring the money order along with the other paperwork since Houston will not accept by mail. Please note, each consulate has their own requirements and the quote mentions mailing in the documents which Houston won't accept.

Am not going in for our visas until late Sept/early Oct so hope you provide confirming info once you get home from beautiful Madeira. Enjoy your visit.

As far as phoning, you are correct they don't accept phone calls and I did twice try to e-mail them questions and never received any response.

Hi:

I just returned from picking up our Brazilan Visas at their consulate in Washington D.C. It was the completion of the pleasant process that I described above. It took less than 5 minutes and I was able to sign and receive both mine and my wife's. TIP: pay attention to your assigned number. When it comes up on one of the electronic displays, you only have a couple of minutes to be at that booth or the next number is called and you must get a new number.

Hi:

I just returned from picking up our Brazilan Visas at their consulate in Washington D.C. It was the completion of the pleasant process that I described above. It took less than 5 minutes and I was able to sign and receive both mine and my wife's. TIP: pay attention to your assigned number. When it comes up on one of the electronic displays, you only have a couple of minutes to be at that booth or the next number is called and you must get a new number.

We did book the Rome to Rio cruise and will need to secure the visa. Do you mind posting your final cost for the visa. We lived in NC and are considering driving to DC versus using a visa service. My husband enjoys the city but me not so much.

Hi: Cost was $160 per person. We both went to the consulate and each had our own complete application. Post Office charged a fee of $1.15 for each PO order and you must pay the PO in cash. Consulate office is only open for VIsas from 9AM to 1 PM, Mon - Fri. I believe there is an extra Visa fee if you bring the application for someone other than you. You can pickup your spouse's Visa if you bring the application receipt when you come back.

Thanks for the info Deep Freeze.

At least here at the Houston Consulate, you can bring in a visa application and money order for your spouse and children without paying the $20 fee. Don't know if that applies to all Consulates but, hope so.

Have heard that some Consulates require a copy of your paid cruise invoice, copy of your bank statement proving you have money, and other info but from reading the Houston Consulate website, we don't require that here. Also in Houston, we are required to make an appointment for bringing in our applications after we complete the on line application.

Only thing that seems common among all the US Consulates is the web application which comes from a single website. Suggest others doing their own application be sure to read the requirement for the consulate that you are going to and it must be the one with the responsibility for your state of residence.

Has anyone gotten their Visa for Brazil through Regent or have you used a visa service? If a visa service, how did you locate one? We do not live near a major with with a consulate

You can go online and Google Visa for Brazil and there are plenty of options available, all will require several items to be sent, including your passport. Brazilian Visa is not cheap, lasttime I paid $100.

You can go online and Google Visa for Brazil and there are plenty of options available, all will require several items to be sent, including your passport. Brazilian Visa is not cheap, lasttime I paid $100.

Wish it was that cheap. Current price at the consulate is $160 + money order fee and return envelope. Believe Visa Services are probably in the $250-$350 range and those figures are per person. You do get 10 years validity but, that won't matter in a year or two as a committee has been formed between the US and Brazil to decide how to eliminate visas between the 2 countries but, should take several years to make that simple change.

Archived