Pet Peeves

SewMuch

Oh I thought of a new pet peeve today... women with no eyebrows. That is just ... strange. :confused:

Not to mention ugly to my eye.

You have to take into consideration that some people may have lost their brows due to medical reasons.

I have a hard time looking at women who shave their natural brows, then pencil in brows that are an inch higher and the width of the pencil line. Actually, if it wasn't so obvious and rude to stare, I'd probably look at them longer, it is a bit fascinating to see something that odd looking. They look so surprised :eek:

Then, there are the ones who pluck too far into the brow, making them too wide apart and end up looking confused, or... pencil in too close together and look angry. Brows are so easy to manage or fake if you have to. The inside line, hold a pencil along your nose, don't pluck beyond that point, the outside, line the pencil up to the bottom of your nose and then to the outside of your eye, the brow should go to that point.

This doesn't include women who have, for medical or any other reason that have to pencil in a brow that's no longer there. If we don't have it, we can fake it, but in a realistic way.

The photo above is too matchy for me but if you love it, that is all that matters. I would also prefer colors that complment each other rather than match. But everyone is different and there is no right or wrong opionion.

You have to take into consideration that some people may have lost their brows due to medical reasons.

I have a hard time looking at women who shave their natural brows, then pencil in brows that are an inch higher and the width of the pencil line. Actually, if it wasn't so obvious and rude to stare, I'd probably look at them longer, it is a bit fascinating to see something that odd looking. They look so surprised :eek:

Then, there are the ones who pluck too far into the brow, making them too wide apart and end up looking confused, or... pencil in too close together and look angry. Brows are so easy to manage or fake if you have to. The inside line, hold a pencil along your nose, don't pluck beyond that point, the outside, line the pencil up to the bottom of your nose and then to the outside of your eye, the brow should go to that point.

This doesn't include women who have, for medical or any other reason that have to pencil in a brow that's no longer there. If we don't have it, we can fake it, but in a realistic way.

Hi Kathy, the first thing I always think of is health.....

As for other brows....I know this might sound really weird (or maybe

not) but I remember when I was little seeing my Grandma Anna

(that was my Mom's mom) and she, for whatever reason....she plucked

ALL her brows off and then just used a pencil:eek:......I am in my mid

50s now and so that was over 40 years ago......when I think about

it now I just shake my head and wonder WHY.......:eek:

Amen to the Bridesmaid dresses..I only have one in my wedding in July but there was no way I was going to put her in some horrible dress..everytime I went into David's Bridal or similar store I about vomited..all that Pepto Bismal pink..LOL..I wanted her to have a dress she could truly love and truly wear again so we ended up with the Cache gown she found in a coture consignment store that she got for $50 after the sale and it was worn once. There is nothing more ugly to see larger woman packed into a dress that does them no justice all because it was what the bride wanted. If she doesn't feel great, it comes out in the pictures.

I don't think that picture of the family posted was too matchy matchy, it's just too dark. I like color. Picture itself is lovely, but just too bleak on the colors for me.

Well, if it were me, I'd put the boys in a different color shirt, maybe one in gray, one in white. But....that's just me, you have a beautiful family.

To describe an example since I don't post pics online, the photo I have above my desk is, husband in a chambray blue shirt, son in a red sweater, I have on a white blouse and our daughter has on a navy blue outfit with a a pattern to it. We coordinate and look like we belong together, yet we're not wearing the same colors. This was for a Christmas card years ago.

Our last formal shot on a ship as a family, I had on a long dark green dress (not sparkly, just more of an evening dress and not a gown), husband had on a dark beige sportscoat, son in a black sportscoat and our daughter was in a short black cocktail dress.

Some of my favorite cruise photos are groups of friends/family where no one matches and there are all sorts of colors going on. I like pictures where people look and feel comfortable even if they don't match..it's more candid to me.

I'm also the type who doesn't think bridesmaids have to look identical. Blend, yes, but unless they all have the same body type, why put young women in unflattering dresses? Perhaps the same color/length, but let them wear a style that looks great on the individual. I watch that say yes to the dress bridesmaids tv show for a chuckle. Mostly butt ugly dresses that no one in their right mind would wear otherwise. We all had those we turned into Halloween costumes the following year, right?

When my (blended family) siblings were in our late teens/early twenties, my dad had a photo taken of us - all in chambray shirts and khakis. I HATE those photos. Hate them. The shirt isn't flattering on me and I hate that we're all in the same thing. If we were 5, maybe it would be cute. So matching outfits (for photos or whatever) is not something I'm a fan of.

I do understand matching shirts for large groups in an amusement park - if someone gets lost, just tell security - s/he looks like me:p

Amen to the Bridesmaid dresses..I only have one in my wedding in July but there was no way I was going to put her in some horrible dress..everytime I went into David's Bridal or similar store I about vomited..all that Pepto Bismal pink..LOL..I wanted her to have a dress she could truly love and truly wear again so we ended up with the Cache gown she found in a coture consignment store that she got for $50 after the sale and it was worn once. There is nothing more ugly to see larger woman packed into a dress that does them no justice all because it was what the bride wanted. If she doesn't feel great, it comes out in the pictures.

I don't think that picture of the family posted was too matchy matchy, it's just too dark. I like color. Picture itself is lovely, but just too bleak on the colors for me.

Funny, my sister was my only bridesmaid, I told her to just go buy a dress that she liked. Gave her photos of the flowers and my gown and she found a great dress that she was able to wear many times again. I didn't even see the dress she bought until 10 hours before I walked down the aisle! (she was living 5000 miles away on another continent.)

You said it yourself - even if you lose your brows to illness, you can still pencil them in. The same illness usually makes you lose your hair but these women don't usually go bald -they wear a wig or a scarf to cover up. Why neglect the eyebrows then :confused:

Women like these are an exception however. I'm talking more about women who in a way "forget" their eye brows.

This came to my mind because I saw a young woman who had bright red hair, very dark make up, black clothes and brows so light in colour they were invisible until she was inches away from me.

I agree with a lot of the pet peeves posted, a couple of them not so much (including the braids if it fits the woman). Also, generalizing age since everyone doesn't always look the same at a certain age - some can get away with something much longer while other need to give it up sooner.

I do like my white shoes as all "good southern girls" do ;) though mine are like 3 or 4" heels and certainly not pumps. They were bought because my sorority requires all white for certain functions (yes closed toe), but they were so cute, I rock 'em regularly at church during the summer. I even wore them with a yellow cocktail dress with rocker pearls and gloves (hard to describe but I have a very unique style).

My whole family is big on the whole "no jammies in public" thing but I slightly broke this rule back in college once for breakfast. I felt so weird it was the only time I did it. I also cosplay and a set of "pajama pants" we made for a costume were worn to a midnight premeire once. It was late and I just wanted to be comfortable, plus since they weren't made to be worn to bed could you really call them pjs?

If you ever see me in the airport, you would probably cring at my outfit. Suffice it to say that my primary goal is to be comfortable so I can sleep. I hate to fly so much I have to take a relaxer so I really don't give a rat's toosh what I wear as long as I get through security quickly and don't freeze on the plane.:eek:

Oh I forgot some:

-fabrics out of season, i.e. this new trend for suede shoes in the summer. Hopefully you wouldn't wear a skirt or something during the summer made of suede so why the shoes?

-shoes that are confused as to their season period, someone mentioned the peep-toe boots.

-ankle shoes/boots on tiny ankles so it looks like your leg is a bell (my SIL would hate that I wrote this as she is a huge offender :D)

-not realizing that just as we can't wear every fashion that is out there in clothes, no matter how cute; we can't all wear every style of shoes. If it doesn't look good on, then they aren't cute shoes.

-and yes, socks with sandals (once again, my bro's family offends and tells me thats how its done). For the record do a search for socks with sandals on the internet and get the one from So Random! off Disney Channel. My bff's cousin is in it and it is hilarious!:D

Yes I have a lot of shoe related, but those are the ones I notice the most, they haven't been mentioned here yet.

One thing I've noticed is that not everyone can carry off the very high heels that are so popular now. I was very startled to see a woman at my workplace wearing a blouse and full skirt and sky-high heels that made her look like she was six years old playing in her mom's dress-up shoes. Maybe it was the combination of the outfit and the shoes, but I'm sure it wasn't the look she intended. She may have thought so too, as I never saw her wear those shoes again.

I am loving everyone's honesty. No sheep on this board. Pleanty of boat rockers love it love love it.

1 . Bright red bra straps showing when wearing black tank top. Seriously as if you don't have a black bra. Normally its hard to find coloured ones.

2 . Black bras under white tops, again seriously! Did you forget to wash? Change your shirt if that's the case.

3 . Strapless dresses/ tops require strapless bras. Yes I think they were invented by Satan just like high heels and thongs , if you can't wear one than give up the dream of wearing those outfits.

4. People who purposely were there sneakers with the laces lose and untied. Did you fail shoelace tying 101 in kindy

5. Shorts worn over tights or leggings. New invention people, its called pants.

6. Men thinking that wearing black shirt black pants and tie that matches there partners outfit makes up for the fact they are not wearing a jacket.

Let's not forget saggy pants!!

I don't care what people think..maybe your not supposed to judge people by how they look but in the real world everyone does, some just don't verbalize it.

One thing I've noticed is that not everyone can carry off the very high heels that are so popular now. I was very startled to see a woman at my workplace wearing a blouse and full skirt and sky-high heels that made her look like she was six years old playing in her mom's dress-up shoes. Maybe it was the combination of the outfit and the shoes, but I'm sure it wasn't the look she intended. She may have thought so too, as I never saw her wear those shoes again.

Agreed: Wear them if you can walk in them. NOT wobble in them. I see it at my job in the mall. Some of them shoes are hot but watching me wear them: I'd be a weeble wobble (remember those as a kid) that will fall down:D

People who don't dress age appropriate.

For instance, middle aged woman who wear thongs, hip huggers and mini dresses.

Middle aged women aren't supposed to wear thongs? Are they supposed to have frumpy looking panty lines instead? And how do you know if they are breaching this apparent fashion rule?

And what is it about hip huggers that makes them inappropriate for a middle aged woman? Although high waists are coming back into style, for the last 15 years or so pretty much every pair of pants I have seen in the stores has sat on the hips rather than the waist. Personally, I think low rise pants are much more flattering to the average figure than highwaisted.

Mini dresses, I will give you, depending on your version of "mini" - I'm 51 and I'm a runner and still have nice legs, I do wear some dresses that hit a few inches above the knee, but certainly not as short as some of the dresses my daughters in their 20's would wear!:)

Middle aged women aren't supposed to wear thongs? And how do you know if they are breaching this apparent fashion rule?

I think this IS the pet peeve -we know because they can be SEEN under the hiphuggers :D;)

Well I wear a thong every time I wear slacks or jeans and no, you cannot see them under my clothing. I wear them specifically so I DON'T have the panty line that I get with regular bikini underwear. If you mean having the thong hanging out ABOVE the hip hugger line, that's trashy on anyone, but that is not what the poster said, she didn't say "thongs with hip huggers", she said "thongs, hip huggers and mini dresses" as though they were three separate fashion faux pas.

You're assuming she meant thong underwear, which I've heard some people find quite comfortable. If she's talking about swimsuits, then thats different.

Slightly off topic - I've noticed lately that in the swimsuit department its a lot easier to find a swimsuit bottom with "full" coverage. Seems like they finally figured out that many women do not want their cheeks exposed!

You're assuming she meant thong underwear, which I've heard some people find quite comfortable. If she's talking about swimsuits, then thats different.

I've seen young ones who shouldn't be wearing them either.:eek:

If that poster DID mean thong underwear, I'd like more of an explanation of why it's a faux pas and how she knows.:confused: Same thing with the younger set and hip huggers. Some give a whole new meaning to muffin top.......more like atomic explosion.:p

LOL, for all we know, she meant what I call "flip flops!" And I agree about the muffin tops, it seems to me that I see more young girls with jeans on that are at least one size too small. It's not so much whether you wear hip huggers, but whether you wear the correct size!

The funny thing about panty lines is it really makes no difference what type of panties you wear. If your clothing is too tight and your panties are too tight, you will have panty lines. I've seen them with thong underwear as well as bikini and grandma panties.

It probably doesn't bother me as much as it does other people. If I don't like their panty lines, I just look at something else. It is a bit amusing to see thong panty lines, though, since most people swear they wear them to avoid the lines. If someone notices the underwear line on my butt, that is their problem. I don't set out to have panty lines, but I'm not going to change what I am comfortable doing so another person doesn't have to see the outline of my underpants.

Onto another pet peeve!

Last night we were in a restaurant and the people back to back with us both had dirty, uncombed hair and looked like they had been sleeping in their linty clothing for a few days. Then they started making out, tongues a waggin. I kept placing myself so my husbands head would block the view, but they kept moving. After we left, my husband made the comment he thought I hated my food since I looked so disgusted. I'm not totally against PDA, but not to the point where the crowd wants to throw a bucket of ice water on you.

Well, I am super picky about not having a panty line (on myself), so I make sure to wear underwear that doesn't cut into me. If it shows one single bulge anywhere I'll wear something different. VS has some great thongs with wide lace that lies flat against your skin and works well with a form-fitting dress or slacks.

I don't really have a lot of fashion pet peeves for others, except that when I see a woman dressed really frumpy and out of style I feel bad because I think how much better/younger she could look if she just updated her clothes a bit or wore something slightly more fitted. But then I realize I don't know where she is in her life or what her financial circumstances are and it isn't any of my business to judge her. I love to read stuff by the Fabulous After 40 girls or What Not to Wear, but I don't always agree with EVERYTHING they say - it is, after all just THEIR opinion.

I think this IS the pet peeve -we know because they can be SEEN under the hiphuggers :D;)

Thank you for making the connection. You can see the thong with hip huggers when the wearer bends over.

Not sure why anyone would want to walk around with dental floss for panties anyways. Muffin tops are also more obvious with hip huggers.

Young girls are understandably more insecure with how they look, but you expect more discretion with older woman.

Archived