Pet Peeves

SewMuch

Dear Fashion Industry: Please stop trying to convince me that empire-waist shirts/tunics/dresses look good on short, fat, busty women. They didn't the last time, or the time before that. They won't next time either. I don't want to look pregnant when I am not.

Oh wow, thanks for that post:D....unless it falls in a certain spot

I cannot wear an "Empire Waist" styles either:eek:

Dear Fashion Industry: Please stop trying to convince me that empire-waist shirts/tunics/dresses look good on short, fat, busty women. They didn't the last time, or the time before that. They won't next time either. I don't want to look pregnant when I am not.

Im glad I am not the only person to feel this way too. I have 1 such top a beaded white empire top that was brought for me by a girl friend, she thinks that I look great in it, so does DH. Mostly because its so low V knecked that they get their eyes stuck on my clevage rather than the pregnant effect. I hate it but it gets me served fast at a bar!

I agree. I think it just needs to be deleted from the fashion world period!

I'm pretty slim and it even looks weird on me =\

Who do they flatter?! I'm tall, slimmish and busty and I also get "the pregnant" look. I learned my lesson long ago :D

I'm one of those women who "has to" wear form-fitting or else everyone is staring at my waist and pondering dare they ask if the bun is finally in the oven :rolleyes:

We are DINKs and plan to be for all eternity ;) so no, that is NOT a question I'm willing to answer...

I fully agree!

I will probably get flamed for this, but I hate capris. They don't flatter anybody. They cut off at the widest part of the leg, which shortens and widens. Not a good look.

Although I agree with you, I still wear a few pair of capris for work in the late spring. My day job is one that I'm outside a lot and it can be hot, yet I don't want to wear shorts when typical school is in session, so they are a go-between. Otherwise, if I don't want a full length pant, I wear ankle length.

Once the regular school year ends and we get into extended year...the shorts are out and worn to work. My shorts come to the top of my knee though, I'm still at work ;)

I don't really like the look of capris either. Sometimes they look ok if they are just the right length (shorter) and the width of the leg is not too wide.

But, I do wear them at times for practicality and/or appropriatness. Sometimes shorts just won't cut it, but it's too hot for long pants. Case in point; Rome, late April, so hot that I about died in my long pants. But, we were going to the Vatican and St. Peters and of course needed knees covered. I didn't have a cool skirt along, so I wore capris and was much more comfortable, heat-wise, if kind of dorky looking.

I also can't find empire waists that flatter--it helps if they aren't too poufy and have a wide band under the bust though.

I will probably get flamed for this, but I hate capris. They don't flatter anybody. They cut off at the widest part of the leg, which shortens and widens. Not a good look.

For several years I LOVED capris...especially when they first came out. I had several in every color/pattern.

But, last spring...I don't know, woke up on day & decided I was totally over capris...haven't worn them since. Donated them all to Good Will (except a white linen pair with a very wide leg).

However, I would not consider capris a pet peeve--compared to other things...lol...many of them already listed.

Wow - this is the most active thread we've had in years!

Late to the party, but here goes.

My pet peeve is any item of clothing that shows too much ... too much cleavage, too much butt, too much fat (as in "it's too tight, dear"), and especially too much when someone needs to lose weight - and I'm including myself here!

Too many women delude themselves into thinking that they're a size smaller than they are. And their friends/family won't tell them the truth. I had to do a size intervention on my sister last week. She was mad, but at least the tops she bought that day are more flattering ...

Do you ever see those emails where people have put together dozens of pictures of people shopping (generally at Walmart)? The women who have EVERYTHING hanging out ... I mean really, don't you own a mirror?

I don't care if someone wears cheap clothes or expensive clothes, but take a minute to look in the mirror to see if it is even slightly flattering before you leave the house. That has nothing to do with money or age or class, it's self-respect.

The bra thing ... you don't necessarily need to go to a specialty shop. I went to Nordstroms a couple of weeks ago and was measured and fitted for three bras that have taken about 15 pounds and 10 years off of me. Not super expensive, about $65 each.

wow - this is the most active thread we've had in years!

Late to the party, but here goes.

My pet peeve is any item of clothing that shows too much ... Too much cleavage, too much butt, too much fat (as in "it's too tight, dear"), and especially too much when someone needs to lose weight - and i'm including myself here!

Too many women delude themselves into thinking that they're a size smaller than they are. And their friends/family won't tell them the truth. I had to do a size intervention on my sister last week. She was mad, but at least the tops she bought that day are more flattering ...

Do you ever see those emails where people have put together dozens of pictures of people shopping (generally at walmart)? The women who have everything hanging out ... I mean really, don't you own a mirror?

I don't care if someone wears cheap clothes or expensive clothes, but take a minute to look in the mirror to see if it is even slightly flattering before you leave the house. That has nothing to do with money or age or class, it's self-respect.

the bra thing ... You don't necessarily need to go to a specialty shop. I went to nordstroms a couple of weeks ago and was measured and fitted for three bras that have taken about 15 pounds and 10 years off of me. Not super expensive, about $65 each.

yes!!!

A lot of mine have already been mentioned, bras that don't fit--or worse yet lack of bras. I do disagree with the previous poster, bathing suit or not, it needs to be supportive. Spend the money, it's really not much more, or better yet, buy one at the end of the season for next year. If you can't wear a bra (of some sort) under that gown and are bigger than an "A" cup or over 25, it's not the right gown for you.

Baseball caps make me crazy pretty much anywhere except in the sun. I was raised that men take their hat off when entering a building, regardless of the type of hat they are wearing. Exceptions for certain religious headwear of course!

Panty lines under tight clothes. Gross. Too tight clothes over cellulite. Double gross. I don't need so see the cottage cheese because someone thinks they are two sizes smaller than they actually are.

Speedos. I don't care to see some dudes junk. HA!!

Men in sneakers with suits or dress pants or even chinos. Yes, we notice, and yes, we think it's ridiculous even if we are polite enough to not comment. Of course for people with foot problems, it's a different story.

People who don't realize that sometimes "more is less." It's unfortunate that some women don't understand the difference between seductive and slutty. Absolutely right!

If I can smell their cologne five minutes after they've left the room, they are wearing too much. In fact if I can smell it without leaning into them, they are wearing too much.

Love it - very funny observations.

I haven't read all the way through the responses, but I HATE, HATE, HATE shorts with Uggz or any of the ankle boots. I get that teens and young adults (er, no older than 22, please) like that look, but if you're older than 22, please, PLEASE refrain!!!

Also hate the Uggz and/or ANY boot with sweat pants. So ugly and unflattering!!! :eek:

Please no more!

This one will get me into trouble since they are in style right now, but I just keep thinking of it. I see them posted here on CC and they are in the group of dresses I just can't bring myself to comment that I think the dress is pretty. Not when all the other comments are so encouraging. But since this is a pet peeve thread and not a favorites, or opinions on a dress thread here I go.

Uneven hems. Can't stand them. Whether it is a handkerchief hem or the back is long and the front is short, or even one side at an angle. I don't know why, they just seem so trendy and I rarely care for trendy. To me trendy looks cheap. I always think the person will be so sorry they wore that in a photo 10 years from now.

We all have our own sense of style and eye for what pleases us. A dress long in the back and short in the front, reminds me of a mullet haircut. When I was cutting hair, way back in the early 80's when mullets started coming around, we called it "make up your mind" haircut. Actually, it wasn't quite that nice ;)

omg SO funny....!

I got a couple more I saw at work last night:

spanx can be your friend (yep I did a fashion don't):D

If you are going bare legged in shorts,skirt or dress please landscape(shave wax whatever) and moisturize them legs as well.The woman in a beautiful outfit but no one wants to see hairy dried skin legs.

I am sitting here laughing my behind off. This is one of the most enjoyable threads ever!

I haven't read all the way through the responses, but I HATE, HATE, HATE shorts with Uggz or any of the ankle boots. I get that teens and young adults (er, no older than 22, please) like that look, but if you're older than 22, please, PLEASE refrain!!!

Also hate the Uggz and/or ANY boot with sweat pants. So ugly and unflattering!!! :eek:

Please no more!

Boots with shorts period. I don't get that one either.

Please no more!

me too, Uggs and shorts- hate it! . Also hate them crocs

I see that quite a lot around here since we live fairly close to a high school. Kind of funny to see, girls with short shorts/Ugg boots and jackets...what's the point? I can understand a "look" but when it's cold outside, why wear the shorts? But then again, I see it in the summer too, same reaction...why wear Ugg boots to your upper calf when it's in the high 90's - low 100's? Or even the 80's?

I think I'm just being too practical and not "in" with youthful fashion :p But, just like 8-10 years ago when the fashion was low slung jeans, cropped tops with thong underpants hanging out, here we go with the too short shorts. The problem is the same, not many young women have the great body to pull it off and not look cheap. What starts out on the runway gets watered down to what Snooki would wear and then that catches on.

I wasn't impressed with showing too much skin even when I had the body to do that. I didn't want to attract the attention of the wrong kind of person. Just thinking you are looking sexy to a person you want to attract doesn't work, you also look sexy to the creeps.

I am not sure if I agree with white pumps being a no no. I do think white sandals are OK.

This is something I just saw on a LUXURY cruiseline. After dinner, a man removed his dress shoes and sat shoeless and sockless in a lounge!! This goes to show just because you have money, you don't neccesarily have class!! That was just plain gross!

For several years I LOVED capris...especially when they first came out. I had several in every color/pattern.

But, last spring...I don't know, woke up on day & decided I was totally over capris...haven't worn them since. Donated them all to Good Will (except a white linen pair with a very wide leg).

However, I would not consider capris a pet peeve--compared to other things...lol...many of them already listed.

I still wear capris, but am a lot more careful in the shape I wear. No more of the baggy ones that hit mid calf. I have massive, muscular calves and they make me look like I have elephant legs.

The slimmer capris (or pedal pushers as we used to call them) look better. Not that any are super attractive, but if you have to wear them, this is usually a better look.

Saw this on tv the other day ---- one of the trends this year is printed denim.

I'm sorry, but the thought of printed denim capris just is too much for me. Especially since I had about 5 pairs of them ten-years ago ...

http://www.denimblog.com/2012/02/denim-trend-floral-print-denim/

Suspect there will be a LOT of these on cruises this summer. Those cabbage flower prints are sure to make anything wide look a LOT wider!!!

I dont get it either, but I will tell you at several country concerts I attended one summer, all the women wore boots and shorts. It's their fashion statement.

Archived