Adding someone to your room at the port

DavyB

I would think you would have to be in a room designed for more than two passengers (some have built in 3rd and 4th beds) and I think there is some sort of body count where only so many rooms are allowed to have more than two passengers. Oftentimes, the ship shows full when searching for a room with 3 passengers but there are still plenty of cabins for those with only 2 passengers.

Does anyone know if it's possible to add someone to your stateroom on embarkation day at the port?

No, you can't add someone at the port. You can add them up until either 48 or 72 hours prior to you cruise so if you are going to do it, do it soon. There is a chance they might tell you that you can't add them because they have reached the limit of people they can have on the ship. Just call and ask.

I would think you would have to be in a room designed for more than two passengers (some have built in 3rd and 4th beds) and I think there is some sort of body count where only so many rooms are allowed to have more than two passengers. Oftentimes, the ship shows full when searching for a room with 3 passengers but there are still plenty of cabins for those with only 2 passengers.

That is correct. The ship can hold only so many "souls" regardless of the amount of empty berths there may be. It is based on lifeboat capacity. So the fact that you might have a cabin that holds three or four and only two people are booked in it, that does not necessarily mean that you can add a third person. It would be VERY risky to just show up with someone - can't you reserve (or at least try to reserve) a few days in advance?

I'm actually in the royal family suite with only 3 of us in it so having room isn't an issue. I'm just curious as to whether Royal Caribbean would allow it last minute.

Be careful with that thinking.... The limiting factor is how many people are in the same lifeboat your cabin is assigned to.... If enough cabins near you are already booked with 3 or 4 people, the lifeboat could be full. If that happens, then you would not be able to add any one at all; despite having 5 empty slots....

That being said, since people have made new reservations 24 less than 24 hours in advance, you should be able to add some one the day before

Aloha

John

Thanks everyone for the information. The extra person was going to be my DS. He decided he wanted to play in a baseball tournament instead of cruising. But now it looks like the tournament may be rained out but we won't know until the last minute. Guess, it'll just be some daddy/daughter time this time around. :-)

I booked a cruise the day before last year on Summit..so it IS possible, but you can't just show up at the pier...

you would have to know the day before at the very latest...and it does make a difference regardless of cabin capacity..just because a cabin can hold 4 doesn't mean that you can put 4 in there if the total "souls onboard" is over the capacity of the lifeboats.

You might want to go ahead and add him. The 3rd, 4th, etc persons aren't nearly as expensive as the first two. If he doesn't go, you can cancel him and would get the taxes and port charges back. The RFS is awesome. We just returned from Mariner and had a great time.

Just curious..Did you originally book the RFS with just 3 people ?..We have stayed in RFS's a few times and when booking I always thought we had to have a minimum # of occupants when we have booked a year out..Enjoy this amazing suite :)

I don' t think it can be done. Its a homeland security problem. I think they need to be on the manafest 72 hrs before sailing.

You are correct! This is the rule now. They would be turned away since they do not appear on the manifest that was provided.

However, it is possible for someone not to show up on the sail date since RCL would note them as a "no show" at the boarding port.

MARAPRINCE

Be careful with that thinking.... The limiting factor is how many people are in the same lifeboat your cabin is assigned to.... If enough cabins near you are already booked with 3 or 4 people, the lifeboat could be full. If that happens, then you would not be able to add any one at all; despite having 5 empty slots....

That being said, since people have made new reservations 24 less than 24 hours in advance, you should be able to add some one the day before

Aloha

John

Your wrong, sorry and also the question was the day of at the pier.....K.O. outside of Philly

You are correct! This is the rule now. They would be turned away since they do not appear on the manifest that was provided.

However, it is possible for someone not to show up on the sail date since RCL would note them as a "no show" at the boarding port.

MARAPRINCE

There is no such "rule"

Cruiselines allow booking and name changes the day before sailing.

The 72 hour rule is a myth. However, I have heard RCI say they close bookings 72 hours before sailing. If they still do that, it is their policy, not law. I do know some other lines often allow booking the day prior.

The original question was adding someone at the pier on embarkation day. That, you cannot do. You can't even get in to the check-in area with documentation.

Archived