Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the chip and pin credit cards lately. We leave in 12 days and I have assumed that most tourist attractions will still accept the old American magnetic strip cards. When we arrive in Helsinki for the day, we will take the ferry to Suomenlinna Fortress and if it's nice, enjoy the beer garden. We will be within walking distance of Market Square so don't need to buy a tram ticket from a machine. I have been assuming there will be a person in the kiosk to buy a ferry ticket and that they will accept our credit card. I had also assumed the Suomenlinna Brewery would accept our card. Would you know if this is correct? Our only other option is to find an ATM to get cash. Is there an ATM in Katajanokka terminal?

There is an ATM at the terminal http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/katajanokka_terminal

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the chip and pin credit cards lately. We leave in 12 days and I have assumed that most tourist attractions will still accept the old American magnetic strip cards. When we arrive in Helsinki for the day, we will take the ferry to Suomenlinna Fortress and if it's nice, enjoy the beer garden. We will be within walking distance of Market Square so don't need to buy a tram ticket from a machine. I have been assuming there will be a person in the kiosk to buy a ferry ticket and that they will accept our credit card. I had also assumed the Suomenlinna Brewery would accept our card. Would you know if this is correct? Our only other option is to find an ATM to get cash. Is there an ATM in Katajanokka terminal?

Automatic ticketing machines of for instance the Helsinki City Transport and the State Railways will only accept chip cards.

The locations of the Finnish "Otto" (="withdrawal") ATMs can be found at:

http://www.otto.fi/missa-otto/

(type "Helsinki", or whatever, into the top box)

On Suomenlinna Brewery matters, I recommend asking them directly:

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/visitors_guide/restaurants_and_cafes/restaurant_suomenlinna_brewery

Edited by Subarctic

We'll be coming from the Emeral Princess and How far is tram 9 from the dock West Harbor?

We plan to go to market square first then to rock church. How far is the walk from from market square to rock church? Or you have take a tram?

How do we get back to the ship?

We do plan to buy the one day pass.

Any must see besides these?

Thanks.

We'll be coming from the Emeral Princess and How far is tram 9 from the dock West Harbor?

Is that Emerald Princess that's at Helsinki on 31 May? In that case you dock at quay LHC on east side of West Harbor (Hernesaari) and cannot use tram 9 but shall use bus 14. See post #428 about details when to get off the bus.

We plan to go to market square first then to rock church. How far is the walk from from market square to rock church? Or you have take a tram?.

About 1.1 miles and you can see most of downtown on the way. Apart from the last section up to the church (it has to be done by foot anyway even if you take a tram) its a very easy walk with no hills.

There is a stop near the rock church for bus 14 that will take you back to the ship. Down to bottom of the hill along Fredrik street, (200 yards) turn right into Arkadia street after having first crossed the corner and then a bit forward (110 yards).

Edited by Ultima Thule

We plan to go to market square first then to rock church. How far is the walk from from market square to rock church? Or you have take a tram?

Thanks.

Here's the journey planner page partly filled in for you. Just fill in the correct date/time and you are good to go.

http://www.matka.fi/en/?keya=kauppatori%2C+helsinki&keyb=lutherinkatu+3&hour=16&min=52&vm=1&day=15&month=05&year=2013&prefer_bus=on&prefer_train=on&prefer_airplane=on&adv=#results

Thanks.

Here's the journey planner page partly filled in for you. Just fill in the correct date/time and you are good to go.

http://www.matka.fi/en/?keya=hietasaarenkuja+5&keyb=kauppatori%2C+helsinki&hour=17&min=06&vm=1&day=15&month=05&year=2013&prefer_bus=on&prefer_train=on&prefer_airplane=on&adv=#results

http://www.matka.fi/en/?keya=kauppatori%2C+helsinki&keyb=lutherinkatu+3&hour=16&min=52&vm=1&day=15&month=05&year=2013&prefer_bus=on&prefer_train=on&prefer_airplane=on&adv=#results

Edited by Subarctic

Thanks! I just got an email back from Suomenlinna Fortress info. They said the brewery hasn't had any problems with American credit cards.. By that I assume it means they accept the magnetic strip cards.

Good to know!

The outdoor market is open. The indoor market has moved for 2013.

Just like Alaskanb already stated, it is not the Market Square. It is the Market Hall close by that is already being renovated.

So no worries :)

Thanks for the reply... I do have a couple questions...

Market Square is where we go to get the ferry to Suomenlinna Island?

and there is an outdoor market on Market Square - correct? What is the indoor market all about - don't have notes on this one.

Finally, we dock at LHC Hernesaari area. We would like to see Rock Church, Uspenski Church, shop a bit - Market Square, and go to Suomenlinna Island.

We have from 10am until about 5pm. Would appreciate suggestions on getting from the pier area to Market Square - public transportation or port shuttle to town I think are my options. Should we do S. Island and then do Market Square and see the churches - would that be walkable? or take public transportation to/from? Thanks for the assistance in planning.

What is the indoor market all about - don't have notes on this one.

Here is the link http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/see-and-experience/shopping-in-helsinki/markets-and-market-halls-in-helsinki

I think it's better described in the Helsinki Tourism brochure that can be downloaded from the same site

Edited by Alaskanb

Market Square is where we go to get the ferry to Suomenlinna Island?F

Yes.

and there is an outdoor market on Market Square - correct? What is the indoor market all about - don't have notes on this one.

The old indoor market built in 1889 is next to the square, but as said its under repairs in 2013.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Helsingin_Vanha_kauppahalli.JPG

We were just in Helsinki on Monday. I don't remember any shuttle. We took the 14 bus. We bought the day tickets from the driver. Got off the bus at the right place by accident and caught the tram to Market Square. I know a lot of people took the bus to the bus station and caught trams from there. We took the public ferry to Soumenlinna. We went to the brewery but I think we paid cash. I'm not sure if we charged anything in Helsinki. However, I would point out that we never had any problem using American cards anywhere on the cruise. My husband has a Capital One card with just a strip and he used it almost everywhere. If they asked for a PIN he just entered the one he has for cash advances. We found the tram kind of confusing. Had a little trouble finding the right one to get us to the rock church but did find it.

I may have missed it, this is a long board. Sinppu is Helsinki a city that you can tour on your own and see the main sites?

It definitely is. Many members have posted their itineraries. You can Google the tram 3 and see it's route, it covers most of sights.

Hi we are docking at west harbour at 10.00am and were wondering what was the fastest way to get to the ferry terminal for the ferry to Suomenlinna. When we looked at the trip planner it stated it was 45 minutes by public transport- bus and tram but 32 minutes walking. We are moderately fit. Would the shuttle buses be any quicker? Are the shuttle buses run by the cruise ship or the harbour?

After touring Suomenlinna we plan to return to market square and then if time permits do the circuit on the tram.

Hi Sinpplu, hi Ultima Thule,

Your contribution in this great thread is amazing!

We will arrive Helsinki on NCL Star on a Thursday next month, docking at Hernesaari (not 100% sure).

What is the best way by public transport to Seurasaari and back to port?

We have time from 7 am to 3 pm. Can we see a couple of other things on the way back to ship?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sinpplu, hi Ultima Thule,

Your contribution in this great thread is amazing!

We will arrive Helsinki on NCL Star on a Thursday next month, docking at Hernesaari (not 100% sure).

What is the best way by public transport to Seurasaari and back to port?

We have time from 7 am to 3 pm. Can we see a couple of other things on the way back to ship?

Thanks in advance!

I've filled in the journey planner for you. You just need to supply the correct date & time.

http://www.matka.fi/en/?keya=hernesaarenranta+8&a=3197474&an=8&bb=479334%3At106a3382787a6676755%3ASeurasaari%3A101%3A&bn=&keyb=seurasaari&hour=19&min=37&vm=1&day=26&month=05&year=2013&prefer_bus=on&prefer_train=on&prefer_airplane=on&adv=#results

Norweigan star 27 June? Thats quay LHC. This journey planner did not support that date yet so I filled it in with 20 June. Anyway, you'll have to use a combination of bus 14 and bus 24 getting off bus 14 at stop "Kirjailijan puisto" and the go back to the corner, over the street and to the bus 24 stop at Linnankoskenkatu. Better you copy the whole bus stop list from the route details.

With bus 24 you can the get back to downtown without any need to change.

http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/?showsearchformsaved=hide&from_in=Hernesaaren+laituri%2C+Helsinki&from=stop*Hernesaaren+laituri%2C+Helsinki*2551480*6671094&via_in=&via=&via_time=0&to_in=Seurasaari+outdoor+museum%2C+Helsinki&to=poi*Seurasaari+outdoor+museum%2C+Helsinki*2549336*6674931&hour=07&minute=00&timetype=departure&date_cb=tomorrow&day=20&month=6&year=2013&cmargin=3&wspeed=70&method=1&stz=0&mc1=0&mc2=0&mc3=0&mc4=0&mc5=0&mc6=0&mc0=1&nroutes=3&gotoHash=

bus 24 stop:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.185193,24.915056&spn=0.002419,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.185182,24.914883&panoid=6rUteam7mNhc8eDlQuVXew&cbp=12,334.61,,0,8.83

Edited by Ultima Thule

We'll be arriving on Eurodam on June 15, 6am -5pm. I have notices that it's on Helsinki Week, and Taste of Helsinki. Which location would be best for the festivities. Thanks.

We will be in Helsinki from 10:00 to 6:00 and would like to know the best way to get to town - ships shuttle or taxi or bus?

We would like to see Rock Church and Fortress and walk around town. Can you please tell us the best way to do all this?

Thank you very much. Your excellent info here is much appreciated.

Meenu

Norweigan star 27 June? Thats quay LHC. This journey planner did not support that date yet so I filled it in with 20 June. Anyway, you'll have to use a combination of bus 14 and bus 24 getting off bus 14 at stop "Kirjailijan puisto" and the go back to the corner, over the street and to the bus 24 stop at Linnankoskenkatu. Better you copy the whole bus stop list from the route details.

With bus 24 you can the get back to downtown without any need to change.

http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/?showsearchformsaved=hide&from_in=Hernesaaren+laituri%2C+Helsinki&from=stop*Hernesaaren+laituri%2C+Helsinki*2551480*6671094&via_in=&via=&via_time=0&to_in=Seurasaari+outdoor+museum%2C+Helsinki&to=poi*Seurasaari+outdoor+museum%2C+Helsinki*2549336*6674931&hour=07&minute=00&timetype=departure&date_cb=tomorrow&day=20&month=6&year=2013&cmargin=3&wspeed=70&method=1&stz=0&mc1=0&mc2=0&mc3=0&mc4=0&mc5=0&mc6=0&mc0=1&nroutes=3&gotoHash=

bus 24 stop:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.185193,24.915056&spn=0.002419,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.185182,24.914883&panoid=6rUteam7mNhc8eDlQuVXew&cbp=12,334.61,,0,8.83

Wow, you are absolutely amazing! Thank you so much!!!