Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Hello, we will be on the Constellation July 12, 2013, and we are supposed to be docking in the West Harbour. How far is West Harbour from Market Square? Can you please tell me how to get to Market Square from the port and then to Suomenlinna. Is the Church in the Rock near Market Square?

Thank you!

Read post #373 for instructions.

Hello, we will be on the Constellation July 12, 2013, and we are supposed to be docking in the West Harbour. How far is West Harbour from Market Square? Can you please tell me how to get to Market Square from the port and then to Suomenlinna. Is the Church in the Rock near Market Square?

Its a bit over 2 miles. In your case (West Harbor quay LMA) I really recommend to take a shuttle bus into town rather than rely on the tram. Market Square /Suomenlinna ferry will be 0.4 miles east of where the buses stops. Rock Church will be 0.7 miles (as a bird flies) NW of where the buses stops.

Shuttle bus stops where it says "Main Shopping Area!" on this map. Your quay is marked as #4.

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise

Edited by Ultima Thule

Just to confirm.

I happened to be there yesterday. There were two machines outside the terminal against the wall next to the tram stop , a red one giving single tickets and day tickets for coins and a blue one giving tickets for coins, bank notes and credit cards WITH chip. At least the latter one had instructions available in English. You click on the button next to the English flag on the screen (third button, bottom row).

Ultima Thule,

My thanks as well. This bit of information definitely helps as I now know what to look for! It is nice to know that in the event we don't have any euro coins, we can at least use Euro bills or our credit card (with the chip).

Thanks again!

Melissa

Hi! My first posting here - hope I've got it right! :-)

Visiting in August for the day, as part of a Carnival Baltic cruise. It will be a Sunday and we should dock from 8am to 6pm. I think we will berth at the West Harbour. I think we can walk into the city centre in about 30 mins - is that right? Having read the threads, I'm going to get everyone to try reindeer! Apart from that is there anything in particular we should do with the children - rather than the standard sights. My husband and I would be happy to wander but the children would appreciate a little more structure to their day! Perhaps the zoo although not sure that will give a flavour that is unique to Finland....

Thank you Sinny and Ultima Thule for all the very helpful information.

Our ship will dock on Monday July 8 at LMA 8:00-17:00. Is the following plan doable? Is the Rock Church and Sibelius portion too tight?

8:30 -- walk to West Terminal, get day tickets (8EUR pp), take Tram 9 to Kaisaniemi

9:20 -- walk to Senator Square, see Helsinki Cathedral; walk to Uspenski Church;

10:20 -- take ferry to Suomenlinnasta

12:00 -- take ferry back, walk though Market Square, Esplanade Park, to Main Railway Station

13:00 -- take tram 3T, get off at Sammonkatu, walk to Rock Church

14:00 -- take tram 3T (continue in the same direction), get off at Töölön halli , walk to Sibelius Monument; if there is time, go to Olympic Stadium for city view

15:00 -- take tram back to LMA using one of the following routines (which routine do you recommend?) (a) Tram 3T to Töölöntori, transfer to Tram 8, get off at Saukonpaasi, walk to ship; (b) tram 4, tram 10, or tram 7T to Lasipalatsi; walk to tram station Simonkatu , take tram 9 back to West Terminal.

On the Suomenlinnasta islands, what the place to watch big ships passing the narrow path between islands? will there be some big ships passing around 10:30-12:00?

Edited by sz4

Our ship will dock on Monday July 8 at LMA 8:00-17:00. Is the following plan doable? Is the Rock Church and Sibelius portion too tight?

8:30 -- walk to West Terminal, get day tickets (8EUR pp), take Tram 9 to Kaisaniemi

9:20 -- walk to Senator Square, see Helsinki Cathedral; walk to Uspenski Church;

12:00 -- take ferry back, walk though Market Square, Esplanade Park, to Main Railway Station

14:00 -- take tram 3T (continue in the same direction), get off at Töölön halli , walk to Sibelius Monument; if there is time, go to Olympic Stadium for city view

15:00 -- take tram back to LMA using one of the following routines (which routine do you recommend?) (a) Tram 3T to Töölöntori, transfer to Tram 8, get off at Saukonpaasi, walk to ship; (b) tram 4, tram 10, or tram 7T to Lasipalatsi; walk to tram station Simonkatu , take tram 9 back to West Terminal.

On the Suomenlinnasta islands, what the place to watch big ships passing the narrow path between islands? will there be some big ships passing around 10:30-12:00?

There is an 11:00 am tour at Suomenlinnasta. If you are interested in that then you would need to take the ferry that runs at about 10:00 am.

Visiting in August for the day, as part of a Carnival Baltic cruise. It will be a Sunday and we should dock from 8am to 6pm. I think we will berth at the West Harbour. I think we can walk into the city centre in about 30 mins - is that right? Having read the threads, I'm going to get everyone to try reindeer! Apart from that is there anything in particular we should do with the children - rather than the standard sights. My husband and I would be happy to wander but the children would appreciate a little more structure to their day! Perhaps the zoo although not sure that will give a flavour that is unique to Finland....

I am not from Finland, but thought I had a thought for you: One thing I considered doing was going to a Finnish spa. I don't know how old your kids are and if your family would find that interesting, but just thought I'd mention it in case it's of interest. You would have to make sure that the spa was open on a Sunday, and that Sunday wasn't a "male only" or "female only" day, however, as some spas have specific days for men and women! If you started your day early, could probably do both some wandering around and a spa trip. Just a thought!

The zoo isn't really unique and it's a bit far away from the city centre. How old are your children?

Your schedule is fine but personally I think you might not have time to see the Sibelius Monument. If you are ahead of your schedule, you might be able to squeeze it in.

The ferry to Suomenlinna takes about 20 minutes, so keep that in mind. There is one ship that you might get to see, it passes Suomenlinna around 11.40 (give or take a few minutes). You'll need to be at the south-eastern tip of the island.

Edited by Sinppu

Is the Rock Church and Sibelius portion too tight?

You give 2 hours from railway station to see Rock church and Sibelius monument. I think that should be time enough. Adding the stadium might be a bit too much. It depends on the time you spend at each place, walking speed and if tram traffic is going smoothly.

Take Tram 9 to Kaisaniemi

Getting off at railway station is an option that might even be a bit faster but as you'll return that way Kaisaniemi - Union Street is not an bad idea, Be prepared that the way is a bit hilly (luckly the worst one is downhill in this case) with a lot of cobblestones.

To be nitpicking, thats an Elative Case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elative_case. Just Suomenlinna is OK. ;)

I cannot guarantee you'll be able to walk from tram 8 stop to the ship. Lots of building work, closed roads, lorries all over the peninsula . Better check out how route looks like from the ship in the morning.

On the Suomenlinna islands, what the place to watch big ships passing the narrow path between islands?

Sinny already answered that. Just a clarifiction . You should go to the south-eastern tip of the southermost island (Kustaanmiekka /Gustafssvärd) near the Kings Gate,, thats the third island counted from the ferry NOT the island the ferry stops at.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thank you for all the information Sinppu. I'm doing a trip to Porvoo first but your info is very handy for what to do with the couple of hours I'll have left in Helsinki afterwards. Knowing what trams to take and where to get them makes planning much easier.

Hi, I saw your posting from last year. I am planning a trip this summer and am considering visiting Porvoo. Would you mind sharing your experience?

The zoo isn't really unique and it's a bit far away from the city centre. How old are your children?

Hi children are 12 and 13. The fort is looking an option but just wondered if there's anything quirky anyone can recommend that will excite them and make them remember Finland!

Hi children are 12 and 13. The fort is looking an option but just wondered if there's anything quirky anyone can recommend that will excite them and make them remember Finland!

The Tiedekeskus Heureka Science Centre this summer has got a human body exhibition that I think should remain in the minds to the young for some time.

http://www.heureka.fi/en

The centre is a short walk away from Tikkurila Railway Station. Both the fast long-distance trains will stop there (excluding only the trains to/from Russia), and the following commuter trains will stop as well:

Z (Helsinki-Kerava-Lahti)

R (Helsinki-Riihimäki)

H (Helsinki–Riihimäki)

K (Helsinki–Kerava)

T (Helsinki–Riihimäki)

N (Helsinki–Kerava)

I (Helsinki–Tikkurila)

There is a pretty good and cheap restaurant in the centre.

Rail connections:

http://www.vr.fi/en/index/aikataulut/jatkoyhteydet_ja_junabussit/tikkurilan_jatkoyhteydet_3.html

Edited by Subarctic

Thank you again Ultima Thule, Sinny, and Alaskanb.

This forum gives us practical information unavailable from official sites, info like construction and up/down hill etc. Very helpful.

Tropicario, the Tropical Animal House, has a nice collections of snakes and lizards.

http://www.tropicario.com/eng/index.html

Address: Sturenkatu 27.

Tram 7B from Senate Square. Exit at stop "Hattulantie". Go back to the corner and turn right.

Or Tram 1 or 1A from Market Square (Mon-Fri only). Exit at stop "Roineentie". Then contunue forward a bit. (Note tram 1 will divert a bit from its normal route a bit this summer due to building work.)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=tropikariet&hl=sv&ll=60.193947,24.956024&spn=0.001204,0.003774&gbv=2&hq=tropikariet&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=60.193868,24.955877&panoid=BGF6BG-CxSb6-y3yTB2PzA&cbp=12,144.27,,0,13.5

Hi all,

We have a group of 15 people + 1 child that's 8 months old. We will be porting in Helsinki on NCL Star on Friday May 31st at the Hernesaari Port. The ship arrives at 7am, and leaves at 5pm. I was wondering if the following itinerary is doable:

9am - Travel from Hernessari Port to Market Square, and then take Ferry to Suomenlinna, Helsinki, Finland

12pm to 1pm- Take Ferry back to Suomelinna, and have lunch

1pm to 2pm - Visit Uspenski Cathedral, Senate Square and Helsinki

2pm to 2:30pm - Photo Stop at Parliament House of Finland

2:30pm to 3pm - Photo Stop at Rock Church

3pm - Head back to Hernessari Port to board the ship

So do you think this itinerary doable?

Also, since we will be taking public transiti, will we be able to buy day pass from the bus driver?

Thank you very much!

Jeremy

ugh, exactly! we are doing a 4 night, pre-cruise tour and then a 12 night sailing, and I'm going ot have to do laundry. I don't want to spend a small fortune to have RC do it (Brillance) so I'm hoping to find SOMEWHERE mid-cruise to do some laundry :rolleyes:

I know your stress about laundry but thanks to Rick Steves I have found it a bit easier. Get a large zip lock bag (our Dollar store has storage type about 18 x 24 inches & heavy) put your laundry soap, water & clothes in & zip up. Agitate all for a couple of minutes. Let rest for awhile to let things soak. Agitate some more & drain. Rinse out bag & add clean water to rinse. Wring out clothes and then lay on your bath towel, roll jelly roll fashion and twist to get excess water out. Hang to dry. I have washed pants & shirts this way as well as undies & socks. What I like is being able to do several days personal items for both of us instead of daily washing. We often travel for a month or so & I don't want to lose time in a Laundromat when I can see the sights.

Hi all,

So do you think this itinerary doable?

Also, since we will be taking public transit, will we be able to buy day pass from the bus driver?

Looks ok to me but I hope you know you cannot get straight from Hernessari Port to Market Square with bus anymore. You'll either have walk part of the route or change to a tram. I have posted detailed instructions for that earlier in this thread.

Terrific thread! Thanks to all for the info.

I think Constellation docks at Hernesaari on Aug. 29. We want to go to the Rock Church and Suomenlinna.

From what I can tell, we have to take Tram 1A to get to Market Square. From there, we can take the ferry to Suomenlinna. Is that the best transit route for us to/from the ship?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by YoPhilly

Terrific thread! Thanks to all for the info.

I think Constellation docks at Hernesaari on Aug. 29. We want to go to the Rock Church and Suomenlinna.

From what I can tell, we have to take Tram 1A to get to Market Square. From there, we can take the ferry to Suomenlinna. Is that the best transit route for us to/from the ship?

Thanks for your help.

It is if you don't mind walking a bit from the harbour to the tram stop.

Looks ok to me but I hope you know you cannot get straight from Hernessari Port to Market Square with bus anymore. You'll either have walk part of the route or change to a tram. I have posted detailed instructions for that earlier in this thread.

Thank you very much. I will be sure to look for your info earlier in the thread. From what I could tell, I should be able to take bus 14, and then change to tram 3T.

Which is closer to the Hernesaari - Tram 9 or 1A?

1A is closer. There will most likely be a shuttle bus and bus 14 is probably the closest but then you'll have to change transport in Kamppi.

Note 1A:s timetable. That last 1A in the morning goes at 9.24. A. M. After that its a long interval until 3.01 P.M.

http://aikataulut.reittiopas.fi/linjat/en/h1_1a.html

Yikes!! That's not good, especially since we're scheduled to dock at 10:00. So my options are Bus 14 and a transfer, or Tram 9 and a transfer to 3T. Is that right?