Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Thanks, Sinppu for your prompt response! I was contemplating tram 9 but I heard that it can be quite congested in the morning. Is this the case or no? Greatly appreciate your time!

Dolfans from Miami

The timetable shows that they leave every ten minutes

http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/?from_in=West+Harbour%2C+Helsinki&from=stop*Hietalahdentori%2C+Helsinki*2551765*6672627&via_in=&via=&via_time=0&to_in=Market+Square%2C+Helsinki&to=poi*West+Harbour%2C+Helsinki*2551289*6671749&hour=08&minute=00&timetype=departure&day=17&month=04&year=2013&cmargin=3&wspeed=70&method=1&stz=0&mc1=0&mc2=0&mc3=0&mc4=0&mc5=0&mc6=0&mc0=0&nroutes=3

Sinppu and Ultima Thule - I just found this thread and wanted to say 'Thank You' for all of the great info. As you might guess, I have a couple of questions.

We are arriving at the Olympic Terminal on June 6 at 10:00 a.m. It appears that we can take:

tram 3T to Market Square - stop "Kauppatori;

the ferry to/from Suomenlinna;

walk to Uspenski Cathedral,

tram 4T to Senate Square

tram 3T to Temppeliaukio Church stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut" or "Sammonkatu

tram 3T back to Olympic Terminal

Is the view from the Torni Hotel worth the time? Also, will we be able to purchase the day ticket from the driver at Olympic Terminal? Are the current schedules the same as they will be in June?

Your comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Edited by reynoldswrap

Will we be able to purchase the day ticket from the driver at Olympic Terminal? Are the current schedules the same as they will be in June?

Very well planned!! :) Sadly I cannot guarantee that the tram will have 24 hour tickets. The information at the Helsinki regional transport website is not clear in this case.

In June the trams will go according to the summer time table. Same lines but the intervals will be a bit longer.

Very well planned!! :) Sadly I cannot guarantee that the tram will have 24 hour tickets. The information at the Helsinki regional transport website is not clear in this case.

In June the trams will go according to the summer time table. Same lines but the intervals will be a bit longer.

Thank you so much for your quick response - I used the info that you guys have posted along with the journey planner. I'm hoping the summer time table will be available in May before we leave! We'll just make sure we have coins available for the machine since we do not have 'chipped' credit cards.

One more quick question - I've read that people will get on the correct tram, but it'll be going in the opposite direction that they wanted. It seems that I remember reading that the next stop shows up on the front of the tram/bus??? Also, are the stops clearly marked on the streets?

Edited by reynoldswrap

Can you take tram 3 from the west harbor?

You take tram 9 and change to 3 in Kamppi.

One more quick question - I've read that people will get on the correct tram, but it'll be going in the opposite direction that they wanted. It seems that I remember reading that the next stop shows up on the front of the tram/bus??? Also, are the stops clearly marked on the streets?

The signs are clear. After the number of the tram you can see the direction it is going to. If you want to go to the opposite direction, go over the street to the other stop. You can also see the next stop on a display sign inside the tram.

Can you take tram 3 from the west harbor?

No, from northern side of west harbor, Valtameri or Merkki quays (LV/, LMA) you can take tram 9 (after a bit of walking).

From south side of the west harbor, Munkkisaari quays (LHC, LHB) you can take bus 14.

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise

In both cases there will be several opportunities to change to tram 3B/3T if you want to.

Edited by Ultima Thule

It seems that I remember reading that the next stop shows up on the front of the tram/bus??? Also, are the stops clearly marked on the streets?

No, as Simppu already mentioned, the tram/bus shows the end stop in front of the vehicle while end stop and next stop are alternatingly showed inside.

There should not be any problem finding the stop. It is marked with a yellow sign and white lines on the sidewalk In many cases it also includes a roof and a rised platform for entering the tram. Some of the major stops downtown also has electronic boards showing expected arrival times of next tram/bus.

In most cases there should not be any problem with the direction. The most confusing tram stops might be around the fountain near the market square where stops going north/south are angled 90 degrees to each other one has to take extra care.

Edited by Ultima Thule

No, from northern side of west harbor, Valtameri or Merkki quays (LV/, LMA) you can take tram 9 (after a bit of walking).

From south side of the west harbor, Munkkisaari quays (LHC, LHB) you can take bus 14.

Clarification: When I say north side read west side, when I say south side read east side. I mentally always divide west harbor into a north part and a south part as the harbor entrances from the city are directed that way but the quays themselves are either on the east side or west side of the harbor basin as you can see on the map. Sorry for the confusion. :o

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise

Also ignore everything that the is said on bus 14B on the helsinki Harbor web site. That is old stuff. That site has not been upgraded since bus lines were changed.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thank you again for all of the info Sinny and Ultima Thule!! Unfortunately, it's back to the drawing board for us - just learned that we are docking at West Harbour/Terminal, Hernesaari, LHB. So, it appears that we can take:

Tram 9 to Rautatieasema, change to 3T to Kauppatori (33 min) or

Tram 6T to Erottaja (24 min)

But, tram 6t isn't listed under public transport for the West terminal - it does show up in the journey planner - is this a good route?

Hi! We plan to take the ferry to Suomenlinna, but when we get there can you tell me if the area is well-marked or mapped for wandering in? Is there tourist information upon arrival? How much time would you suggest at minimum to still enjoy it (we don't have a long stay in port)? How often are the ferries in each direction? Thanks so much for any information on this!

I did NOT read this whole thread but did want to mention, in case it helps someone:

We docked at West Harbor/Terminal (Vastra Terminalen/Lansi Terminaalen) last summer on Marina. One of Oceania's smaller ships was docked right at the Market and terminal. For us on Marina, there was a shuttle provided into town. I found the tram about 2 blocks from there and took it a short distance to the market area to find the ferry to Soumenlinna. Marina provided us a map with the location of the shuttle marked. I have more info and a picture of shuttle location if anyone needs it; just ask. I also took a tram or bus back toward the ship at lunch time (shuttle took a two hour break during lunch time) and walked a few blocks to get to the ship. It was a little confusing but I managed.

I enjoyed Soumenlinna, but it took almost a good half day out of the time I was able to spend in Helsinki, so just be aware of that. I never made it to the Rock Church or Sibelius Monument as I had wanted, but did manage to see other places. Of course, going back to the ship for lunch (and to pick up my husband) DID take up some time...If you stayed out all day, you could probably see things that I didn't see - assuming you don't do much more than simply walk at Soumenlinna. I didn't visit any museums there, just walked and took pictures. I tend to hurry through things, which is fine for me, but may not be for everyone. I would stay outside when the ferry leaves Helsinki for the nice view of the city from the water.

My pictures are on http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 if anyone wants to see what I did.

Edited by roothy123

Hi! We plan to take the ferry to Suomenlinna, but when we get there can you tell me if the area is well-marked or mapped for wandering in? Is there tourist information upon arrival? How much time would you suggest at minimum to still enjoy it (we don't have a long stay in port)? How often are the ferries in each direction? Thanks so much for any information on this!

Ok, I'll give some general information as there might be others here interested in these questions.

I should say one and a half hour for walking all three major islands. If you plan to see museums and such it will of course take longer. They add one or two other boats to the ferry during the summer.

Here is the summer time table: http://www.hsl.fi/FI/aikataulutjareitit/Documents/Kes%C3%A4%202013/Lautat_IRTO_HKI_k2013_ved1.pdf

Here is a map of the islands:

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/files/1486/kartta_EN-2011.pdf

If you use the ferry/boat from the east side of the market Square (included in the 8 Euro 24 h bus/tram/metro/train ticket - there are also a 5 Euro 12h ferry ticket option) you'll arrive at the north side of the "Big Eastern Black-Island" (Iso Mustasaari) (red #8 on the map) and you'll have to cross that island to reach the visitor center (modern building, red #1 on the map. Museum on second floor). The routes are perhaps not always that well marked but the majority of the visitors will know the correct way so it is just to follow the stream. The route instructions are: turn left - through the gate in the building - uphill past the church, then after passing the low fortification on your right side (or "crownwork" to use the correct military expression) turn right downhill to the beach.

If you take the water-bus from the west side of the Market Square (private company - Helsinki transport tickets not valid) it will take you straight to the visitor center at Aritllery Bay (Tykistölahti). Note that it might also take you all the way to "King's Gate".

There is a little doll museum on the island (red #3) and the "Manege" military museum (red #4, mostly WW2 stuff). DON'T go south of the line 1-4-17-3 on the map.

Once over the bridge to "Wolf's Island" (Susisaari) there are lots of walking options, the blue line on the map is just the main route. It might be worth visting the dry dock observation deck (blue #3).

Another option is to take left instead of right at #9 through an opening in the fortress wall http://s746.photobucket.com/user/buck100/media/alb1/sb8.jpg.html that will take you uphill between the bastion walls http://s746.photobucket.com/user/buck100/media/alb1/sb9.jpg.html to red #21 and red #14.

I think that sadly the submarine (red #5) is closed for repairs/repainting this year.

Pieper's park with a pond and little coffee shop on the top of the hill is the oldest park in Finland. A wonderful place in sunny weather but sadly there are just a few chairs there so you have to be lucky to find a place to sit.

On the beach between the islands (red #27) people use to take a bath in sunny weather.

On the "[King] Gustaf's Sword" ("Kustanmiekka") island the route indicated on the map is a bit boring. If you are in decent condition follow the sand banks with the guns instead (there are some steps to climb). Road goes up and down a bit along the banks. Exit the sand bank between the last gun symbol and the (WC) sign on the map - note there is no road so you'll have to enter the terrain a bit here - be careful - and continue past red #7 to "King's Gate" (blue #5).

Note that there are a water-bus option to a small quay there during the summer. You can then follow the blue route back or continue north along the beach. Or one can enter the fortification (a real labyrinth).

Beware, on some places of the islands there are very old cobblestone roads of the worst kind. Also there ARE some dangerous places here and really bad accidents HAVE happened so keep an eye on your kids.

Also see post 12 on this thread for a lot of pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1357518

Edited by Ultima Thule

Ok, I'll give some general information as there might be others here interested in these questions.

I should say one and a half hour for walking all three major islands. If you plan to see museums and such it will of course take longer. They add one or two other boats to the ferry during the summer.

Here is the summer time table: http://www.hsl.fi/FI/aikataulutjareitit/Documents/Kes%C3%A4%202013/Lautat_IRTO_HKI_k2013_ved1.pdf

Here is a map of the islands:

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/files/1486/kartta_EN-2011.pdf

If you use the ferry/boat from the east side of the market Square (included in the 8 Euro 24 h bus/tram/metro/train ticket - there are also a 5 Euro 12h ferry ticket option) you'll arrive at the north side of the "Big Eastern Black-Island" (Iso Mustasaari) (red #8 on the map) and you'll have to cross that island to reach the visitor center (modern building, red #1 on the map. Museum on second floor). The routes are perhaps not always that well marked but the majority of the visitors will know the correct way so it is just to follow the stream. The route instructions are: turn left - through the gate in the building - uphill past the church, then after passing the low fortification on your right side (or "crownwork" to use the correct military expression) turn right downhill to the beach.

If you take the water-bus from the west side of the Market Square (private company - Helsinki transport tickets not valid) it will take you straight to the visitor center at Aritllery Bay (Tykistölahti). Note that it might also take you all the way to "King's Gate".

Wow! Thank you for all your detailed information. I have a couple more questions for clarification. When you say the ferry boat on the east side of Market Square, are you saying right next to Market Square or is this the Katajanokka Ferry they mention in the timetable that you linked to? We will be docked at the Katajanokka terminal and want to spend most of the day at the Suomenlinna Fortress... for two reasons - 1)we will be exhausted from two days of extensive touring in St Petersburg and 2) my husband loves all things military as well as beer gardens. We really hope the submarine re-opens before the end of June. Also can one go over on one ferry company and back on another? In other words, if we wanted to leave from Market square, can we return to Katajannoka?

Thanks for all the information and assistance that you give. I really appreciate it. It was exactly what I needed for planning. The area there looks very interesting. We'll plan for a couple hours there (weather permitting :)).

Edited by jljcruise

The ferry goes exactly where the market ends. There is a brown ticket hall there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.168001,24.956625&spn=0.00242,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.168011,24.95688&panoid=--1RvAFMz3xpuR_SwIpa2Q&cbp=12,229.77,,1,-2.54

The one going from Katajanokka is a service ferry i.e for lorries etc, not for tourists.

As an option the water buses goes near the harbor basin at the west side of the market. Costs 7 euro.

http://www.jt-line.fi/eng/suomenlinna_lahtolaiturit.htm

Timetable:

Edited by Ultima Thule

The ferry goes exactly where the market ends. There is a brown ticket hall there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.168001,24.956625&spn=0.00242,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.168011,24.95688&panoid=--1RvAFMz3xpuR_SwIpa2Q&cbp=12,229.77,,1,-2.54

The one going from Katajanokka is a service ferry i.e for lorries etc, not for tourists.

As an option the water buses goes near the harbor basin at the west side of the market. Costs 7 euro.

Timetable:

Ultima Thule,

Thank you ever so much! You have saved me so much time trying to figure things out. Also thanks for finding out about the submarine. My DH was so thrilled when I originally told him there was one there that he could tour. He has viewed a WWI cut away version in the Deutsch Museum (Munich) but never toured inside. I would have hated to disappoint him.

Rita

Excellent hi-res aerial photos of Suomenlinna, Helsinki in general, and the major Finnish town and cities

http://www.fonecta.fi/kartat/Suomenlinna%2C+HELSINKI

Choose "Kartta" on the top left -- then "kopterikuvat" ("chopper pictures")

The Helsinki submarine in Suomenlinna is the only surviving example of the three prototype submarines of different sizes that were built in Turku, Finland, in the Crichton-Vulcan yard, clandestinely for Germany during its secret preparation for WWII. All were later used by the Finnish Navy in anger, and the mid-sized one became the model for the German Submarine Type II.

Edited by Subarctic

What's everyone's plan for Helsinki if you only have one day? I have noted to see the Lutheran cathedral at Market Square, taking a boat tour in the waterfront area, see the Russian Orthodox Uspenski cathedral and the Temppeliaukio church and then of course the Suomenlinna sea fortress.

Are these all must-sees? Would you add/remove anything? Can anyone suggest which of these we should do first so that we can move through Helsinki in an organized and efficient manner?

We'll be in port one day from 7a-5p.

Thank you!

What's everyone's plan for Helsinki if you only have one day? I have noted to see the Lutheran cathedral at Market Square, taking a boat tour in the waterfront area, see the Russian Orthodox Uspenski cathedral and the Temppeliaukio church and then of course the Suomenlinna sea fortress.

Are these all must-sees? Would you add/remove anything? Can anyone suggest which of these we should do first so that we can move through Helsinki in an organized and efficient manner?

We'll be in port one day from 7a-5p.

Thank you!

These are my notes --with many thanks to this thread :)

Helsinki Notes: 7 am to 4 pm. Euro. Berth –West Harbor

One-day transport pass (8 Euro) –can buy from kiosk at West Harbor terminal. Take Tram 9 to Rautatientori (Main train station area). Tram 9 going away from the harbor will be marked "Pasilan asema / Böle Station", the one going to the harbor "Länsiterminaalin / Västra terminalen.

Walk to Market Square. Explore.

3T tram to Rock Church. Opens at 10:00 am

The tram 3T stops are near the fountain on the west side of the market. The tram going south stops on the south side of the fountain with the tram pointing towards the market, the one going north/west (towards the railway station) stops on the east side of the fountain with the tram pointing towards the white cathedral. The route takes about an hour if you stay on the whole time. Stop 8 Sammonkatu – this is the best stop for Temppeliaukion kirkko (Granite Church) (20 mins) Stop 10 Toolontori (Toolo Market Square) – this is the best stop for the Sibelius monument. Just a short walk through the park. (30 mins)

Suomenlinna. If a pretty day pick up lunch and take ferry.

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en

If you use the ferry/boat from the east side of the market Square (included in the 8 Euro 24 h bus/tram/metro/train ticket - there are also a 5 Euro 12h ferry ticket option) you'll arrive at the north side of the "Big Eastern Black-Island" (Iso Mustasaari) and you'll have to cross that island to reach the visitor center --museum on second floor. The routes are perhaps not always that well marked but the majority of the visitors will know the correct way so it is just to follow the stream. The route instructions are: turn left - through the gate in the building - uphill past the church, then after passing the low fortification on your right side (or "crownwork" to use the correct military expression) turn right downhill to the beach.

Guided walking tours are organised daily during the summer, from June 1 to August 31: at 11 am, 12.30 pm and 2.30 pm in English

Walk along the Esplanadii area and visit some of the Finnish design stores like Marimekko https://www.marimekko.com/shops/shop-locator?point=60.1678%2B24.946

Return to ship by Tram 9, the one going to the harbor "Länsiterminaalin / Västra terminalen

We are trying to be very flexible when it comes to Helsinki. Since we visit there the day after our two day marathon visit to St Petersburg, we have decided to take it easy in Helsinki. If it is a nice day weatherwise, we will visit the marketplace and then take the ferry to Suomenlinna Fortress and enjoy are day meandering and find the beer garden. If the weather isn't nice that day, we will go to the marketplace, make a short visit to Suomenlinna Fortress (DH wants to go through the submarine) and then take the 3T tram around the city, debarking at a couple sites.

On any trip, stay flexible!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone!

If you have any questions about Helsinki (and/or Finland), I'll be more than happy to help!

Lived here for 11 years so I consider myself an expert :D

Hi Sinny,

I have an unusual question - My son tells me all the best and most impressive computers programers are from Helsinki. He would like me to bring him a souvenir from Helsinki that would be related to computers if possible. He says Helsinke holds an Assembly Computer Festival every year. Have you heard of this?

Do you know of a computer or electronics store in the city, walking distance from the West Harbor pier LMA or the Hop ON Hop Off bus route that I might find something to bring him?

I suggested a T-shirt but they do fade so a figurine or something like a figure of a computer might work as long as it says "Helsinki".

He hopes to visit your city and attend the Assembly festival someday.

Thank you for all the help and assistance you have give everyone.

Missy