Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Hi All!

My wife and I will be in Helsinki on the Ocean Princess this June. I understand the ship docks at the South Harbor/Olympia Terminal Couple ?s:

- Is this as close to the 3T as it appears to be on the map? If so, any recs on how to get to the 3T stop? (Oh, and which way to take it towards Market?)

- Is there a TI spot at South Harbor where we can get maps?

- Is there a spot at South Harbor to get our tram tickets?

Thanks - Sean

Hi Sean,

We are on the same cruise. Our docking has moved from the Olympiad terminal to Katajanokka terminal which is in that same South Harbor basin but on the opposite side...still an easy walk to the Market Square. According to my notes the 3T tram stops near the fountain on the west side of the market. The tram going south stops on the south side of the fountain and the one going north/west toward the rail station stops on the east side of the fountain with the tram pointing toward the white cathedral.

Also in my notes is that there is a mobile "info container" set up in the Market Square. In addition there are Helsinki helpers walking around in green vests.

Rita

Do you know of a computer or electronics store in the city, walking distance from the West Harbor pier LMA or the Hop ON Hop Off bus route that I might find something to bring him?

There is a big computer store, Verkkokauppa, opposite and a bit right from the West Harbor terminal building. Entrance next to the #9 tram stop (that's the first tram stop after the terminal stop), up the escalator second floor.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&gbv=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=verkkokauppa+helsinki&fb=1&hq=verkkokauppa&hnear=0x46920bc796210691:0xcd4ebd843be2f763,Helsingfors,+Finland&cid=0,0,8403036346885936410&sa=X&ei=8eN0UbTDBOWg4gSqhYHwBA&ved=0CCYQtQMwAQ

Edited by Ultima Thule

hi! I would love to know if there are any laundromats within walking distance from the port in Helsinki?? thanks!

Hi there,

unfortunately there aren't. I'm not sure there are any in the whole city... :confused:

You might want to ask from hostels in Helsinki about their laundry facilities if your ship doesn't have one.

Edited by Sinppu

We are going to take the hop-on-hop-off bus in Helsinki. Could you explain how exactly to get from the port to the point where you can take this bus? Is there just one docking area in Helsinki? Thank you in advance for your explanations!

We are in town from 7am to 5 pm Sunday 26 may Eurodam

What would you suggest we do ? We are newly married in our 30's and would like to look round and experience the culture...

I also believe there is a festival on this day ?

Hi! I’m on my first cruise and I travel with my husband and a daughter of 3. We will have a day in Helsinki. Could you suggest any places which would be good for a child of 3. I know that there is a very special museum in Stockholm – Junibacken. I was told that it’s good even for such little kids. Do you have anything like that in Helsinki? Thank you in advance.

Jess.:)

Hi there,

unfortunately there aren't. I'm not sure there are any in the whole city... :confused:

You might want to ask from hostels in Helsinki about their laundry facilities if your ship doesn't have one.

Sure glad I use a cruise line that provides DIY laundry service and irons, too! Took a Celebrity cruise recently and really missed those machines on Oceania! I guess I'm a cheapskate, but I did NOT want to pay to have the cruise line do my laundry!

We are going to take the hop-on-hop-off bus in Helsinki. Could you explain how exactly to get from the port to the point where you can take this bus? Is there just one docking area in Helsinki? Thank you in advance for your explanations!

There are two harbours with several quays.

It depends where you are docking, but here is a route map:

http://www.citytour.fi/articles/441/

We are in town from 7am to 5 pm Sunday 26 may Eurodam

What would you suggest we do ? We are newly married in our 30's and would like to look round and experience the culture...

I also believe there is a festival on this day ?

There is a festival and it might be an excellent way to see locals and experience the culture if the weather is nice.

http://www.festivals.fi/festivaalit/aikajarjestys/11/?/eng/

There are many suggestions on this thread but I'm sure you'll find something that will interest you. The Market Square area is very popular.

Hi! I’m on my first cruise and I travel with my husband and a daughter of 3. We will have a day in Helsinki. Could you suggest any places which would be good for a child of 3. I know that there is a very special museum in Stockholm – Junibacken. I was told that it’s good even for such little kids. Do you have anything like that in Helsinki? Thank you in advance.

Jess.:)

Hi Jess.

Here is a link you may find useful:

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/whats-on/families

I don't have children myself so I'm not really sure what your daughter would enjoy. :o:(

Sure glad I use a cruise line that provides DIY laundry service and irons, too! Took a Celebrity cruise recently and really missed those machines on Oceania! I guess I'm a cheapskate, but I did NOT want to pay to have the cruise line do my laundry!

ugh, exactly! we are doing a 4 night, pre-cruise tour and then a 12 night sailing, and I'm going ot have to do laundry. I don't want to spend a small fortune to have RC do it (Brillance) so I'm hoping to find SOMEWHERE mid-cruise to do some laundry :rolleyes:

ugh, exactly! we are doing a 4 night, pre-cruise tour and then a 12 night sailing, and I'm going ot have to do laundry. I don't want to spend a small fortune to have RC do it (Brillance) so I'm hoping to find SOMEWHERE mid-cruise to do some laundry :rolleyes:

I don't know about other countries (although I suspect it's pretty much the same deal all over Scandinavia) but in Finland there are no laundromats because all the houses have laundry rooms in the basement or are built with washing machines.

Hi Jess.

Here is a link you may find useful:

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/whats-on/families

I don't have children myself so I'm not really sure what your daughter would enjoy. :o:(

Hi Sinny,

Thank you for the link. By the way do you have a Zoo? I was not able to find any info about a Zoo in Helsinki. My daughter loves animals; even a small Zoo will be great for us. Thank you for your help.

Jess :)

Hi Sinny,

By the way do you have a Zoo? I was not able to find any info about a Zoo in Helsinki. My daughter loves animals; even a small Zoo will be great for us.

http://www.korkeasaari.fi/en/services/visitorinformation

On an island. The traditional way to go there is by ferry/boat from the Market Square. Its next to the ferry to the fortress. It can also be reached by bus but it will take much longer.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Hi there,

There seem to be quite a few in fact. The key search word is the universal

Itsepalvelupesula

See e.g. http://www.helsinginuutiset.fi/artikkeli/14711-sinkku-pesee-pyykkinsa-nyt-itsepalvelupesulassa

This rather new story includes some actual addresses.

Hi Sinny,

Thank you for the link. By the way do you have a Zoo? I was not able to find any info about a Zoo in Helsinki. My daughter loves animals; even a small Zoo will be great for us. Thank you for your help.

The Helsinki University Natural History museum has recently been refurbished and is easily accessible at the Centre of the city.

http://www.luomus.fi/?link=navi -->

Luonnontieteellinen museo

(mondays closed)

I personally think a trip to the Zoo cold be a bit too tough for a 3-year old as there is quite a bit of walking up and down the rocky Korkeasaari island.

On an island. The traditional way to go there is by ferry/boat from the Market Square. Its next to the ferry to the fortress. It can also be reached by bus but it will take much longer.

Great! Thank you! It looks great for us. I have one more question. Sorry for so many questions…. We will dock in Helsinki at 7 AM and we will leave at 5PM. Will there be enough time to see the very center (at least the Cathedral) and to visit the Zoo? How far away is the island? How often the ferries/boats run? Thank you for your help.

We will dock in Helsinki at 7 AM and we will leave at 5PM. Will there be enough time to see the very center (at least the Cathedral) and to visit the Zoo? How far away is the island? How often the ferries/boats run?

Yes, it should be no problem. First boat starts at 10 am. The island is just a mile east of downtown but the boat has to circle the Katajanokka peninsula first. Trip should take some 15 minutes. Boats seems to go every 40 minutes according to time table but if there are lots of visitors they might change to shorter intervals.

(Nowadays its actually either a paddle wheel vessel or a taxi boat. I just have a bad habit to call it a ferry as ferries were used on that route for over 60 years :o)

http://www.helsinginvesibussit.fi/charter-cruises-in-helsinki/

Also looks as though there is a HSL ticket ??? outside the West Terminal. Does anyone know if the instructions are available in English and can we get the day pass from there? Thanks

Just to confirm.

I happened to be there yesterday. There were two machines outside the terminal against the wall next to the tram stop , a red one giving single tickets and day tickets for coins and a blue one giving tickets for coins, bank notes and credit cards WITH chip. At least the latter one had instructions available in English. You click on the button next to the English flag on the screen (third button, bottom row).

Just to confirm.

I happened to be there yesterday. There were two machines outside the terminal against the wall next to the tram stop , a red one giving single tickets and day tickets for coins and a blue one giving tickets for coins, bank notes and credit cards WITH chip. At least the latter one had instructions available in English. You click on the button next to the English flag on the screen (third button, bottom row).

Thank you so much for checking --really helps. :)

Hello, we will be on the Constellation July 12, 2013, and we are supposed to be docking in the West Harbour. How far is West Harbour from Market Square? Can you please tell me how to get to Market Square from the port and then to Suomenlinna. Is the Church in the Rock near Market Square?

Thank you!