Nail polish remover packaged pads?

sunnydaze

I'm nervous packing my little jar of remover - that has a sponge thing inside of it. I've never had good luck using remover pads that come in packages, but think this would be a better/safer way to take remover with me. Can anyone recommend a brand of packaged nail polish remover, that does not dry up, and is moist enough to actually take the polish off?

Thanks for your help!

I also bought the Walmart brand and had pretty good luck with it. I noticed last time I bought it, there were two different kinds...basically only using regular nail polish occasionally, not sure of the difference.

What's wrong with bringing your jar/sponge thing? I do! Put it in a zip-loc, if it's been opened, or buy a new one and don't open it before you get to the ship!

The pads are fine, too, but take a bit longer than the jar.

I don't care for the Wal-mart brand...I like either Cutex or "pretty nails" (in the jar with the sponge), I think it's called. Either way, bring what works for you...either is acceptable.

Last time we cruised I used a brand called "Quo" from the local drug store. Acetone and gelatin free - worked really well. Very moist. One pad removed the nail polish on both hands quite quickly and easily. I now prefer it to the bottled remover.

Just like baby wipes, they don't have to go in the 3-1-1 bag. The jars with the sponge in it do though.

Yep - this is why I travel with facial cleanser wipes and stain remover wipes - if I can carry it in a wipe format instead of a liquid, I'm happy:p

Yep - this is why I travel with facial cleanser wipes and stain remover wipes - if I can carry it in a wipe format instead of a liquid, I'm happy:p

I had a hard time finding anything about wipes on the TSA site. The TSA brochure I have doesn't mention them. I'm going to see how much liquid stuff I can replace with wipes for my cruise next week. :D

Thank you!

Whatever brand you buy, get them fresh, just before you go. I had some that had been leftover from previous trips (packets unopened), but they somehow had dried out anyway. I guess over a long time the liquid can evaporate through the package.

I use the packaged pads & buy them at RiteAid or Walgreens or CVS. They will dry out after about a year.

I would caution you against carrying a bottle of remover or the spongey things. A couple of years ago, when we were going through security at Port Canaveral, we were suddenly placed on lock-down because some dumb bunny had packed nail polish remover and it had leaked everywhere. The chemical smell was horrible, and it was a big red flag to port security. Better to use the pads than the the target of an issue because your bottle of polish remover leaked!

I use the ones from Wal-mart too and I actually think they take polish off better than liquids I've tried. However, I've never tried an expensive brand.

I always take one or two of the pads with me as they take little space. We usually check our bags, but I don't think they are considered as liquids if you carry-on.

Thanks everyone!

I couldn't find packaged remover at our Walmart stores here, so I bought "QUO" at a reg drug store. I took off my polish tonight and it was a thick, very moist pad, just like "Snowbirds2", (my new Canadian friend) on here described. It did take a bit of rubbing, as my polish was really dark coloured. I used both sides of the pad, but one pad did remove all the polish completely! I think I will pack a couple of packages, altho - touching up just one nail would be a pain. We have a very long flight, and I don't trust an unopened jar fr leaking. I'm not familiar with the term "3-1-1, but I assume it is the carry on bag. I'm going to pack these in a ziplock bag in my checked suitcase.

I'm not familiar with the term "3-1-1, but I assume it is the carry on bag.

Yes, 3-1-1 is a short hand to describe the liquids restrictions for travelling carry-on in the US.

3 (oz or less container - technically, it's 100ml so 3.4 oz - but apparently that's not catchy enough:rolleyes:) You cannot have a 6oz container that only is a quarter full - the container itself must be the proper size

1 quart size ziploc bag that all the containers must fit in

1 bag per person.

If you're putting your liquids in the checked bags, size doesn't matter. There are still some restrictions on what you can pack, and the tsa.gov site lists them all (weapons, chemicals, flammables etc)

Just hadn't heard of the term 3-1-1

Thanks!

It was the cornerstone of TSA's PR campaign, on all their literature etc. Since you live in Canada, I wouldn't expect it to be as familiar :p And I just like to make sure I put all the info out there to make a "complete" post for anyone else who might come across it:D

I use the packaged pads & buy them at RiteAid or Walgreens or CVS. They will dry out after about a year.

I would caution you against carrying a bottle of remover or the spongey things. A couple of years ago, when we were going through security at Port Canaveral, we were suddenly placed on lock-down because some dumb bunny had packed nail polish remover and it had leaked everywhere. The chemical smell was horrible, and it was a big red flag to port security. Better to use the pads than the the target of an issue because your bottle of polish remover leaked!

Combining acetone, peroxide and I think an acid will make a bomb- that's why it's a red flag.

What's wrong with bringing your jar/sponge thing? I do! Put it in a zip-loc, if it's been opened, or buy a new one and don't open it before you get to the ship!

The pads are fine, too, but take a bit longer than the jar.

I don't care for the Wal-mart brand...I like either Cutex or "pretty nails" (in the jar with the sponge), I think it's called. Either way, bring what works for you...either is acceptable.

We don't have a WalMart nearby; but the Cutex ones are great! A couple of packs live in my carry-on at all times - they are thick saturated felt and one lasts through all 10 nails.

Thanks everyone!

I couldn't find packaged remover at our Walmart stores here, so I bought "QUO" at a reg drug store. I took off my polish tonight and it was a thick, very moist pad, just like "Snowbirds2", (my new Canadian friend) on here described. It did take a bit of rubbing, as my polish was really dark coloured. I used both sides of the pad, but one pad did remove all the polish completely! I think I will pack a couple of packages, altho - touching up just one nail would be a pain. We have a very long flight, and I don't trust an unopened jar fr leaking. I'm not familiar with the term "3-1-1, but I assume it is the carry on bag. I'm going to pack these in a ziplock bag in my checked suitcase.

3-1-1 refers to the airline carry-on restrictions for liquids. All liquids must be in containers of 3 ounces or less, all must fit into 1 quart-size ziplock bag, and only 1 bag of liquids per passenger is allowed. (Things like medicines and baby forumla are exempt).

If you are worried about using pads to touch up one or two nails without ruining others, you could take along one disposable glove ( I always have then for home hair coloring :)

Using the glove on the hand you hold the polish remover pad in will protect those nails.

It was the cornerstone of TSA's PR campaign, on all their literature etc. Since you live in Canada, I wouldn't expect it to be as familiar :p

The liquid restrictions for Canada are exactly the same as the US, so I expect OP is very familiar with them. If anything Canada, IME, is even stricter than the US.

Archived