MDR Seating - Which do you prefer and why?

MDR Seating, which do you prefer?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. MDR Seating, which do you prefer?

• Just your family/cruising group
    • Random people you don't know
    • Doesn't matter to me

I think I know where you stand by your use of "random"....sort of "off-putting".

We totally enjoy having tablemates. Hubby and I are "empty nesters"....and we're together most of the time. Even on a ship, we spend most of our time either together or just ourselves...reading, gambling,whatever... etc....

So, we look forward to dinner and having conversations with other people! Talking with others actually gives you, as a couple, more to talk about! And, since dinner is more than just a time to feed your face, (it's a social occassion and takes almost 2 hours), it's nice to be able to spend it chatting with other like-minded folks! You need to remember that EVERYONE is on the ship for the same reason....a fun vacation! Folks are happy! Ask their name...where they're from...what they do! What are they doing at the next stop? Tell them what your plans are. Have they been there before? Really...was it fun?

I mean, if you can't find something to chat about...then it's just too bad...most folks are happy to share stories and experiences.

So far, we haven't had ANY tablemates that were so bad we couldn't eat with them. Sure...some are more fun than others, but all have been nice!

Tablemates..for sure!

I totally agree with your post! We love to meet new people and share experiences as well! I love the social aspect of dinner!

Table for two here

Same here. "The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and I cruise to relax and enjoy each other's company. I wouldn't expect to be seated with strangers in a land based restaurant and we have no desire to be forced to make small talk with strangers on a cruise.

I'm excited to try MTD because we want to try a little of each. My boyfriend is a bit more outgoing than I am. I'm an introvert- and while I think I'm socially capable and I'm not painfully awkward or any of that, it still takes a bit of energy for me to keep a conversation going- even with friends sometimes. So while I'm sure it's interesting to hear about the different things tablemates did all day, I don't necessarily want to have to be "on" each and every night at dinner, if that makes sense. So my guess is that some nights, especially if we're tired and ready to unwind after a busy day in port, we'll choose to dine just the two of us. Other nights, possibly just when we're looking for someone different to talk to, we'll pick a bigger table. I do think I'll prefer either 2 or a big table- I think that it might be a bit high-pressure for just us and one other party. Sort of like a blind date!

Same here. "The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and I cruise to relax and enjoy each other's company. I wouldn't expect to be seated with strangers in a land based restaurant and we have no desire to be forced to make small talk with strangers on a cruise.

Yeah I think your last point is dead on. If I went to the Mexican place down the street and was told I had to sit with 6 other people, I'd go somewhere else. If I don't want to make new friends that live in my immediate area, there's no way I need to make ones who I'll probably never see again.

Isnt that comparing apples to oranges? I know of no land based restaurant that offers traditional dining with large tables of strangers other than maybe Japanese hibachi places whereas on cruise ships it has been going on for many many years. It is my understanding back in the "good ol days" when the MDR was the only choice that tables for two were virtually non existant and dining with "strangers" was your only choice. I could be very wrong about that though. I guess its a great thing for those that dont want to sit with "strangers" that times have changed huh?

I try not to compare my experiences at sea to anything on land and like to do and try things I normally dont do on land. Thats just me though of course. :)

Not looking for a debate at all or wanting to argue. I just dont see the comparison.

If we are cruising with a group (family and/or friends) I chose to be seated with them because it may be the only time all day we are all together and can catch up with each ohter. But if it is just my husband and myself we would want to sit at a large table in the hopes of meeting other fun people.

Isnt that comparing apples to oranges? I know of no land based restaurant that offers traditional dining with large tables of strangers other than maybe Japanese hibachi places whereas on cruise ships it has been going on for many many years. It is my understanding back in the "good ol days" when the MDR was the only choice that tables for two were virtually non existant and dining with "strangers" was your only choice. I could be very wrong about that though. I guess its a great thing for those that dont want to sit with "strangers" that times have changed huh?

And I definitely think that's why this whole poll comes about to begin with - such vastly different opinions of what is ideal and what is not enjoyable. I do agree that the "good ol' days" had all group seating...but the "good ol' days" also had a lot of things that people are thankful are not around anymore. At least in this case, there are choices. To me, it's a great thing that this has changed ;)

I didn't even think about hibachi places, though. That being said, the only thing I really dislike about hibachi places is that you have to sit next to strangers most times. I've never met anyone at a hibachi place that I'd want to see after Benihana gives me my check ;)

And I definitely think that's why this whole poll comes about to begin with - such vastly different opinions of what is ideal and what is not enjoyable. I do agree that the "good ol' days" had all group seating...but the "good ol' days" also had a lot of things that people are thankful are not around anymore. At least in this case, there are choices. To me, it's a great thing that this has changed ;)

I didn't even think about hibachi places, though. That being said, the only thing I really dislike about hibachi places is that you have to sit next to strangers most times. I've never met anyone at a hibachi place that I'd want to see after Benihana gives me my check ;)

I have sat at many hibachi places and never really said a word to my tablemates and them vice versa. Somehow, I have always managed to strike up conversations at a large table on a cruise ship though but never really felt "forced" to do so though. I guess its the fact that we all are there to have a good time and have had an exciting day and the conversations just seem to come normal.

Its a great thing there are so many choices indeed! I find the MDR for the most part is very accomodating to all.

I like to sit with a group of people some nights, other nights prefer a table for 2. With MTD, we have found that most people dont want to share a table, so we end up by ourselves (I'm pretty sure it's not us:p)

At breakfast I'm Garbo - I vant to be alone. Lunch is ok to share, but lots of times we've found that people are talking only with each other.

When we cruise it's almost always just me and my wife, so we prefer a table for just the two of us.

Firstly, we really enjoy each other's company and secondly, the random tablemates thing is such a crapshoot. Sure, sometimes you get some fun, interesting people but you also can get stuck with some people you'd not want to spend 30 seconds talking to in the line at Starbucks and now you're stuck with them for hours.

No thanks; we prefer to eat with our travel group, and if it's only the two of us, so much the better!

When my wife and I cruise, we prefer a large table with new people to meet. We will have a couple of dinners at Chops/Portofino where we have our couples time. If our sons join us, we get a table for four. For breakfast, we always prefer a table for two as we get our day started.

Tried MTD once and did not like it at all. Staff was very confused each night about our seating requirements and kept moving us all around plus we had to wait for seating even though we were on time for our MTD sitting. Service was fine except we never met the Head Waiter (maroon jacket). Gave his tip to the assistant waiter.

Our upcoming cruise will be a change where we expect to sit at a large table but our son and daughter in law will join us.

Large table - 8 person is about right. ;)

For us, meeting and making new friends is a big part of cruising.

In nearly every one of our cruises, we have had fantastic table mates.

Often meeting for dinner and sharing stories is the highlight of the day.

We've been known to miss the shows and stay at the table till past closing because we're having such a good time.

No, thats one of the major reasons we won't do ATD (or MTD).

I try not to compare my experiences at sea to anything on land and like to do and try things I normally dont do on land. Thats just me though of course.

Not looking for a debate at all or wanting to argue. I just dont see the comparison.

Exactly. ;) Two totally different experiences.

I really like tables for 6 with 2 other couples.

I have a bit if a hearing problem that makes it uncomfortable to be sitting at a larger table. I can never follow conversations. Only trouble with a table for 6 is if the others know each other you can feel out of place.

I do like MTD with different people each night, though we have hit it off with others and arranged to dine together again.

if we are cruising with a group (family and/or friends) i chose to be seated with them because it may be the only time all day we are all together and can catch up with each ohter. But if it is just my husband and myself we would want to sit at a large table in the hopes of meeting other fun people.

+1!

When it was just my husband and myself, we enjoyed a large table and meeting new people. Now that we have 3 children- and we usually travel with extended family or friends, we fill a table of 8-12 ourselves!!:D

Taking a cruise is totally about my family and me. I have no desire to share one of the highlights of the day with anyone else. I guess I can understand how someone would want to meet new people if the people/person you are with is boring, but dinner is the BEST time to connect with those you want to be with.

If I want to meet new people I will strike up a conversation at the pool or some other time, but not at dinner.

We usually cruise with a group of 4 (our immediate family) and have had a group as large as 12. We prefer to be just our own group as at this point in our life we are usually sailing with 4 -6 teens from 15- 19 as well as 4-6 adults. Since the teens go their own way most of the time, dinner is our way to re-group and catch up on the day and spend some time together before they disappear for the evening again. We usually also get a fixed time and usually go with early seating...that way everyone knows what time dinner is and they need to get cleaned up and be on time...so far the teens have a better record than some of the adults...If my hubby and I ever cruise alone we will probably do anytime dining and some nights dine alone or other nights possibly dine at a larger table. But right now just our own group works best.

Most people don't go to the same land based restaurant seven or so days in a row. For DW and me, late seating and a large table has always worked out well.

I always find there is so much to talk about just as far as the cruise and what everyone's plans are. We eat breakfast and lunch by ourselves every day but at dinner, it's nice to socialize. I have always had good luck with my table mates and I don't feel like I'm eating with strangers or making small talk.

I'm sure there are many people who have not had such good luck and that is why they opt for a table for two. That is understandable.

Archived