Herculaneum

Sea42

I would really appreciate your notes on Herculaneum and thank you for your kindness in advance. Shirley. ukla67 at gmail.com

Sorry to be a pest but I did not receive your email notes. I did check my "Spam" box too. ukla67 at gmail.com

Sorry to be a pest but I did not receive your email notes. I did check my "Spam" box too. ukla67 at gmail.com

Aaahhh, I misread your email. I sent them to "Shirley . ukla at gmail.com" as that's how it appeared to me.

I will re-send them this evening when I have access to my home computer with the notes.

Notes sent to the latest requesters.

By the way, I was just looking at the Herculaneum site. For the first time since 2012 they seem to have updated the list of houses/buildings that are open and those that are closed (unsafe, under restoration, etc.). The lists are in Italian but can be run through Google translate and compared to the descriptions in my notes.

The Theater, The Villa of the Papyri, and the Suburban Baths have been closed for many years and are unlikely to open anytime soon. The Palaestra is undergoing restoration currently -- parts may be open but likely not all of it. The boat houses also appear to be closed currently.

Otherwise it's a list of mainly houses. Some of the larger and finer ones have been closed in recent years and this list shows them still closed. These include the House of the Gem and the House of the Deer. However, the House of the Relief of Telephus has been reopened, which is great news. :)

Structures that are open (visitable): http://www.pompeiisites.org/allegati/Edifici%20aperti%20Ercolano%202015_150922123618.pdf

Structures that are closed: http://www.pompeiisites.org/allegati/Edifici%20chiusi%20%20Ercolano%202015_150922123545.pdf

Hi Cruisemom. Just saw your various posts in this thread (and other threads around). Thank you so much for your great insights, advises, and willingness to share. Can I also trouble you for a copy of your notes? My email is sink168 at yahoo. com Thanks again.

Edited by sink

• 4 weeks later...
Notes sent to the latest requesters.

By the way, I was just looking at the Herculaneum site. For the first time since 2012 they seem to have updated the list of houses/buildings that are open and those that are closed (unsafe, under restoration, etc.). The lists are in Italian but can be run through Google translate and compared to the descriptions in my notes.

The Theater, The Villa of the Papyri, and the Suburban Baths have been closed for many years and are unlikely to open anytime soon. The Palaestra is undergoing restoration currently -- parts may be open but likely not all of it. The boat houses also appear to be closed currently.

Otherwise it's a list of mainly houses. Some of the larger and finer ones have been closed in recent years and this list shows them still closed. These include the House of the Gem and the House of the Deer. However, the House of the Relief of Telephus has been reopened, which is great news. :)

Structures that are open (visitable): http://www.pompeiisites.org/allegati/Edifici%20aperti%20Ercolano%202015_150922123618.pdf

Structures that are closed: http://www.pompeiisites.org/allegati/Edifici%20chiusi%20%20Ercolano%202015_150922123545.pdf

Thanks for the updated info, Cruisemom42. Could you please also send us your notes to dayspring05 at gmail.com

Thank you!

I am all caught up with requests for notes.

I'm looking forward to another visit to Herculaneum (and all my favorite Roman sites in Campania) in June! :)

Thank you for the notes, much appreciated.

Our port has been changed from Naples to Salerno, but I'm sure its easily accessible from there too

Deb

Thank you for the notes, much appreciated.

Our port has been changed from Naples to Salerno, but I'm sure its easily accessible from there too

Deb

Well, it's not as easy as taking the train from Naples (about 20 minutes), but it's possible. How are you thinking of getting there -- on your own? Private tour?

Well, it's not as easy as taking the train from Naples (about 20 minutes), but it's possible. How are you thinking of getting there -- on your own? Private tour?

Hi Cruisemom

we were thinking about on our own by train or whatever is easiest from Salerno

thanks Deb

A ticket for either Herculaneum or Pompeii is 11 euro.

You can negotiate with a taxi just outside the port. Go armed with information about the official fixed rate.

Will be going to Naples after a TA in May and want to go to Herculaneum and would love to get your notes if you are still doing that. Also, thanks for all the tips on Pompeii. Will go back there without a tour but plenty of time. My email is cathy@bluegemtradingco.com. Thanks in advance.

We are looking forward to visiting Herculeneum on our cruise this fall.

However, the port stop has been changed from Naples to Salerno, so, I would

appreciate any advice and instructions on how to get to the site from Salerno on our own.

Thanks for the help.

We are looking forward to visiting Herculeneum on our cruise this fall.

However, the port stop has been changed from Naples to Salerno, so, I would

appreciate any advice and instructions on how to get to the site from Salerno on our own.

Thanks for the help.

I have never done the trip from Salerno to Herculaneum, but have researched it for others. The information given by me and by euro cruiser in this thread should be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1970795&highlight=salerno+herculaneum

Edited by cruisemom42