Herculaneum

Sea42

Dear Cruisemom 42,

I just finished exploring this whole thread and want to thank you sincerely for all the help and advice you have given to those of us planning to visit Naples by cruise ship and see Herculaneum that day. If you would be so kind, I would love to have your notes on Herculaneum. I will not be traveling until early next April, but I am already enjoying exploring the possibilities. I too love to take notes in advance. I will be traveling solo, but hopefully I will find another person on my cruise who would like to go together. If not, are there any precautions that I should be aware of for traveling on the train and exploring Herculaneum on my own? I am a senior citizen, but pretty fit and have visited Pompeii twice fairly recently with no problems, but I was with DH then.

Thanks. sodlercn@yahoo.com

Once again caught up. :D

I will be traveling solo, but hopefully I will find another person on my cruise who would like to go together. If not, are there any precautions that I should be aware of for traveling on the train and exploring Herculaneum on my own? I am a senior citizen, but pretty fit and have visited Pompeii twice fairly recently with no problems, but I was with DH then.

Thanks.

The Circumvesuviana train -- the local train that travels around the base of Vesuvius -- is usually pretty crowded and pickpockets are a known hazard, so be sure to bring only what you need and keep cash/cards secured.

Be sure you get off at the correct stop -- Ercolano Scavi. (There are two with Ercolano in the name.)

There is about a six block walk from the train station at Herculaneum to the ruins. It is downhill when you are arriving and uphill back to the station. It's not a difficult walk at all, just keep heading straight down hill and you'll end up at the ruins.

If you have any other questions, just post here and I'd be happy to try to answer them.

It's a good time to be visiting Herculaneum; the site has really been taken care of well in recent years (as compared with Pompeii :().

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Cruise mom,

Our ship is in Naples from 8 a.m. til 2 p.m. Do we have enough time to do a DIY trip to Herculaneum from the port to the train and on to the site and return to ship in time?

It would be a little tight but if you are off right at 8 and watch your time, it is possible. But check what time it opens.

Cruise mom,

Our ship is in Naples from 8 a.m. til 2 p.m. Do we have enough time to do a DIY trip to Herculaneum from the port to the train and on to the site and return to ship in time?

You should be able to manage a reasonable visit as long as you get started early and keep an eye on the time.

The site opens at 8:30 am, so by the time you arrive it will be open.

It can take up to a half hour to get to the train station from the port, depending on how long it takes for a tram to come by. Chances are it will be less...

The current timetable for the Circumvesuviana train (Napoli to Sorrento and return) can be found here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/allegati/Orario%20Napoli%20Sorrento%20con%20Pozzano%20e%20Scraio%20e%20viceversa.pdf

There is an express at 8:11 (very unlikely you'd make it unless your ship docks a half hour or more early....)

After that, the next train is at 8:39 and then regularly every half hour after.

It takes about 20 minutes on the train to arrive at Ercolano Scavi, your stop, and then a further 10- to 15-minute walk down the hill to the site.

Even if you arrive at 9:30 or 10:00, you will still have about two hours at the site -- a decent visit -- before you need to head back.

I would try to get the 11:55 return train; failing that the 12:25 train should still get you back before your likely all aboard time at 1:30.

Edited to add: To save a few minutes, you can purchase tickets online in advance. I've not encountered long lines at Herculaneum, but on a tight schedule every minute counts and you can bypass the ticket line. You can purchase the tickets from either of these:

http://www.ticketone.it

http://www.pompeiisites.org

Edited by cruisemom42

• 4 weeks later...