Herculaneum

Sea42

Herculaneum Help Needed!

Can anyone please recommend (or point me in the direction of the correct thread) a tour guide (ideally an archaeologist) for Herculaneum. Having previously visited both Pompeii and the Forum in Rome independently I feel we would get much more from the experience with a guide......

Also anyone who's visited Herculaneum using the Circumvesuviana train - is it still plagued with gypsies/beggars as found that quite oppressive on our last trip to Pompeii?

Herculaneum Help Needed!

Can anyone please recommend (or point me in the direction of the correct thread) a tour guide (ideally an archaeologist) for Herculaneum. Having previously visited both Pompeii and the Forum in Rome independently I feel we would get much more from the experience with a guide......

Also anyone who's visited Herculaneum using the Circumvesuviana train - is it still plagued with gypsies/beggars as found that quite oppressive on our last trip to Pompeii?

There are usually licensed guides at the entrance who will be happy to provide a guided tour. (However, the quantity is somewhat limited -- there is no guarantee they will not already be occupied.)

I believe Rick Steves' guides have a recommendation or two for professionals that will guide you at Pompeii or Herculaneum.

I haven't been on Circumvesuviana train this year, but I have no reason to doubt they are still the same. Just secure your valuables and you won't have any problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I should be all caught up with requests again.

I am happy to keep sending these out, but I do have a lot of things going on at the moment (including work, travel and home renovation!) so please understand that I may not respond to your request immediately.

Is a tour guide needed for herculanium or Pompeii. Is it the same experience exploring independently? Are there to us available at the actual sites? Cheers

Your first question is one that's likely to elicit various opinions. Many think a guide is essential in Pompeii (which is huge) and in Herculaneum (which is less huge).

If you don't already know something about the period (history, how people lived) a guide can be useful. Also in Pompeii, a guide who knows the area is helpful if you only want to spend a couple of hours there.

On the other hand, there is a good free mp3 tour by Rick Steves for Pompeii, a good audiotour is available onsite (I think for both sites), or you can bring a guidebook with highlights.

I prefer to do sites like this on my own, but I do a TON of research (hence offering my notes) in advance of a visit and I have a keen interest and some knowledge about ancient Roman history, daily lives, buildings, etc. A good map is essential for Pompeii.

You can hire a professional guide at either site. Sometimes you can get into a group of 10 or so (guides will organize) at Pompeii, which makes the cost very reasonable. At Herculaneum, there are a few guides available usually at the site entrance.

Edited by cruisemom42

• 2 weeks later...

Cruisemom,

I am so embarrassed. You already sent me your notes but I had a major crash and lost all my emails. On your next run and when you have the chance, I would appreciate it so much.

drdaddy at earthlink dot net

We visited Herculeanium mid May this year, agree that it is better preserved that Pompeii and well worthy of your visit. Best advise especially being on a day trip from a cruise ship is avoid public transport and get a taxi to arrive early, definitely no later than 8.30am. Don't bother with the expense of a guide, the audio guide at 10euro/for 2 or 6.50euro for one are excellent value, each of the houses/streets are numbered, just tap in to the guide and the voice explains all.

After 10.00am the place will be overun with coach tours, millions of Japanese and if before July loads and loads of school children - then you will see nothing but people !!!

Edited by mickey89

Mickey,

So glad that we have someone who has just been there. Cruisemom is so overwhelmed I think.

You say you took a cab from Naples to Ercolano? What did that run if you would be so kind? How easy was it to get one back to Naples or did you then take the train back?

If you took the train back, is the information about the walk correct? In other words, is it a straight run or has truly become a bit circuitous?

Thanks!

Mickey,

So glad that we have someone who has just been there. Cruisemom is so overwhelmed I think.

You say you took a cab from Naples to Ercolano? What did that run if you would be so kind? How easy was it to get one back to Naples or did you then take the train back?

If you took the train back, is the information about the walk correct? In other words, is it a straight run or has truly become a bit circuitous?

Thanks!

We visited Herculaneum when aboard the Celebrity Equinox which docked at Salerno. I organised a tour with http://www.aldolimos.com there were 8 of us we visited Herculaneum, Positano and Ravello cost us 440euro split between us.

The point I made was that the Herculaneum site is extremely popular, with many coach tours from all over not just the cruise people. It gets very busy and is no fun at all if you arrive too late in the morning, it opens at 8.30am and highly recommend you arrive at or before that time, then you can enjoy with minimum numbers of people before the swarms arrive. A DIY using public transport will get you there with all the crowds which is best avoided.

If you are after a Taxi price suggest you use this web site http://www.taxi-finder.com enter your requirements and you will receive a number of quotes, sometimes very reasonable and definitely cheaper than at the portside.

Hope that helps.........

The point I made was that the Herculaneum site is extremely popular, with many coach tours from all over not just the cruise people. It gets very busy and is no fun at all if you arrive too late in the morning, it opens at 8.30am and highly recommend you arrive at or before that time, then you can enjoy with minimum numbers of people before the swarms arrive. A DIY using public transport will get you there with all the crowds which is best avoided.

Actually, I'd just like to clarify that while this may perhaps be true coming from Salerno, it is not necessarily true coming from Naples.

Ercolano is only about 20 minutes by train from Naples. It is perfectly possible to arrive there using the public transportation at or before the opening time.

It's amazing -- just 2-3 years ago, Herculaneum was much less crowded!

Hi Cruisemom,

I would love a copy of your notes when you have time. diathoney at yahoo dot com

I'm a planner too. :-) Just starting to read and plan for for our second cruise of Italy next year.

Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...

I see that you were there in 2012. So, I don't know if you check messages still about Herculaneum. I would like your notes as I am planning on going there this fall on the MS Maasdam Atlantic Adventure cruise. I can not decide to go by train, taxi or find a small private tour. I could not find your email to send you my email.

• 2 weeks later...
Your first question is one that's likely to elicit various opinions. Many think a guide is essential in Pompeii (which is huge) and in Herculaneum (which is less huge).

If you don't already know something about the period (history, how people lived) a guide can be useful. Also in Pompeii, a guide who knows the area is helpful if you only want to spend a couple of hours there.

On the other hand, there is a good free mp3 tour by Rick Steves for Pompeii, a good audiotour is available onsite (I think for both sites), or you can bring a guidebook with highlights.

I prefer to do sites like this on my own, but I do a TON of research (hence offering my notes) in advance of a visit and I have a keen interest and some knowledge about ancient Roman history, daily lives, buildings, etc. A good map is essential for Pompeii.

You can hire a professional guide at either site. Sometimes you can get into a group of 10 or so (guides will organize) at Pompeii, which makes the cost very reasonable. At Herculaneum, there are a few guides available usually at the site entrance.

We have gone to Pompeii two times over the past 40 years. I would not think of not having a guide there. There are so many facts about practically every building, you would miss out on so much. I would say a minimum of 2-3 hours to tour around. It is fantastic, to me the best ruins in the World.

• 3 weeks later...
The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

I am planning on going to Herculaneum via train from Naples while on my next cruise in November 2015. I would like the walking guide to Herculaneum. How can I get one from you?