Herculaneum

Sea42

• 2 weeks later...
This may be of interest to everyone. Toms guides are absolutely amazing http://www.tomsportguides.com/Naples-01-31-2012.pdf

I'm not a huge fan of his guides. I wouldn't rely on them solely as a way to DIY tour -- too many holes.

Also, he has engaged in some questionable "marketing" practices with CC members. :cool:

Hi Cruisemom,

I just read this entire thread, let me Thank You for all the knowledge you share on these boards. My family and I will be in Naples this September on the Allure of the Seas, and we plan to spend 4 days post cruise in Rome.

If you could please e-mail me your notes for Herculaneum and Rome that would be great. leah-nelson at live dot com

Thank You,

Leah

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading this thread with a smile. Herculaneum is a relatively compact area of ruins in the town of Ercolano which is easily reached by the Circumvesuviania railroad from Naples (or Sorrento) to the Ercolano Scavi station in the town of Ercolano. From the station it is a little walk to the ruins. You purchase an entrance ticket, and audio tour if you please, and just walk around and admire the ruins. And that is that!

Hank

The walk is not quite as short as it used to be, as they changed the location of the entrance.

The entrance used to be here, at the bottom of the road from the station -

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=40.805965,14.349151&ll=40.806062,14.350891&spn=0.003192,0.013218&num=1&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.806062,14.349254&panoid=cM-fEmJiKj-aFW-5C3-vcA&cbp=12,210.77,,0,1.24

It is now here -

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=40.804544,14.347488&ll=40.804549,14.347529&spn=0.007057,0.013218&num=1&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.804549,14.347529&panoid=Cg2iU1uxyouLKbZfFXIfMw&cbp=12,347.71,,0,3.36

So it is now a 1.2Km walk -

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=40.808689,14.354957&daddr=Vico+Sacramento,+34,+80056+Ercolano+NA,+Italy&hl=en&sll=40.808328,14.35448&sspn=0.001764,0.003304&geocode=FfGwbgIdDQrbAA%3BFcCgbgId4OzaACnhRMRC6aY7EzFFn-ZU5vx4Wg&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=17

For at least several years now, the place pictured as the "new" entrance has been the place where you buy the entrance tickets, where bathrooms are located, etc. You would walk past the place pictured as the "old" entrance, down the straight path to the building before entering the site below.

It looks like the Google map has just routed you around rather than down the straight path. Did you actually do this, or is it just a glitch of the mapping?

I suppose they could be routing folks around if there is some restoration/construction work going on. There certainly seemed to be some work ongoing in the Palaestra last time I was there (which the upper road straddles).

I am reading this thread with a smile. Herculaneum is a relatively compact area of ruins in the town of Ercolano which is easily reached by the Circumvesuviania railroad from Naples (or Sorrento) to the Ercolano Scavi station in the town of Ercolano. From the station it is a little walk to the ruins. You purchase an entrance ticket, and audio tour if you please, and just walk around and admire the ruins. And that is that!

Hank

That's one way to roll. But I like more info about what I'm seeing. I guess (since more than 250 folks have requested my notes at last count) I am not the only one! :D

It looks like the Google map has just routed you around rather than down the straight path. Did you actually do this, or is it just a glitch of the mapping?

That was the way I had to walk last year. There was no entrance through the gateway in the first link, and signs directing you as Google has mapped it.

That's one way to roll. But I like more info about what I'm seeing. I guess (since more than 250 folks have requested my notes at last count) I am not the only one! :D

Having visited Herculaneum several times, with guide, audio guide (really lacking in depth IMHO) and cruisemom's excellent notes, I heartily recommend the notes.

Can someone tell me directions out of the port (or the best way) to get to the central train station in Naples (NAPOLI GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S) to Herculaneum (ERCOLANO SCAVI).

Is this walkable or do we need a taxi or bus?

thank you!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but where would you get the taxi from?

Also, does anyone know how much it costs to get in to Herculaneum?

Thanks

A ticket for either Herculaneum or Pompeii is 11 euro.

You can negotiate with a taxi just outside the port. Go armed with information about the official fixed rate.

Can someone tell me directions out of the port (or the best way) to get to the central train station in Naples (NAPOLI GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S) to Herculaneum (ERCOLANO SCAVI).

Is this walkable or do we need a taxi or bus?

thank you!

You do not need to go to the main station to get the train to Ercolano, in fact, it's better not to.

You will be using the Circumvesuviana rail line (actually more like a metro that runs around the base of Vesuvius) which originates at Porta Nolana station. Porta Nolana is not too far from the port, and although the train also runs through the main train station, it's better to catch it at Porta Nolana as there are no assigned seats and you are more likely to snag a seat that way.

There is a tram (#1 I believe, and also bus #151) that you can board just outside the port gates that runs along the main road all the way to Porta Nolana station. At the kiosk near where you board the bus/tram you can purchase a ticket. I believe you will need an NA2 ticket, which is good for the tram + train to Ercolano. (For a total of 120 minutes maximum). Stamp it on the tram and keep hold of it for the train. The NA2 ticket is 2.50 euro and you'll need another one for your return. May as well buy them at the same time; just don't stamp the second one until you begin your homeward trip.

It's not too far to walk, but I estimate it would probably take about 25-30 minutes at a good pace from the port. (And when I am going to be walking around at a site, I'd rather save my energy....:))

Here's a map showing various bus, metro, rail lines in Naples. The port is at the bottom right (Terminal Navi). The main road that follows the water is the one you'll go along, then make a left on the street just past Piazza del Carmine, and the Porta Nolana station is on the right; bus or tram stops in front.

http://www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/zona_centro2014.pdf

Would you also take this same route and just stay on it to get to Pompei? We are doing back to back and I am not sure what we will do the 2nd time through.

thanks

Yes, except for Pompeii, which is farther, you would need a NA3 ticket instead of NA2 and the cost is 3.40 euro.

The Archaeological Museum in Naples itself is also fantastic and contains most of the original mosaics, frescoes, sculptures, furniture etc that were found at Pompeii and Herculaneum as well as other sites in the area.