Passports in port?

karajeboo

I have been on 2 cruises, and plan on many more now that we've discovered this.....

That being said, I have a question about taking passports into ports..... yea or nay?

I've heard arguments both ways and they both make sense..... If I take my passport, I run the risk of losing it, or having it stolen, but if I leave it on the ship, what happens if I miss the ship, or get in an accident, injured, etc, and have to get home some other way???

Anyone?

Some cruise lines take, and keep, your passport for the entire time of your cruise. If the cruise line feels you don't need your passport off the ship, then that should be a good enough answer. You will find those who insist on taking their passports off the ship, and some who keep it locked up. I'm of the latter choice. If you miss the ship, and if you keep your passport locked in your safe, they will go into your cabin and get your passport and give it to the local port agent. In all my many cruises, the only time I've taken my passport off the ship was when the country required me to do so---Russia, Vietnam are two. Make color copies of your information page and take that with you off the ship.

Plus, if you look, there are numerous threads already on this board discussing the exact same question you asked.

If you have the option to take the passport in port (eg., cruise line does not hold your passport and it is not a requirement to take the passport with you) then my recommendation is to keep it on the ship. I feel that there is a far greater chance of losing or having your passport stolen then the benefit of carrying it with you.

Take a copy with you. It is not an official copy but should you need to get a new passport it would help to facilitate it.

Keith

When you have heard and understand the arguments pro/con, why create yet another thread soliciting opinions? The same people (including me) have the same opinions and never the two sides shall meet.

Do whatever makes sense to you.

Thank you to those of you who gave real answers..... I was unaware that some cruise lines actually held onto passports and that helps with my decision a lot. I could see the benefits of both sides, but this sealed the deal for me!

Not really necessary to criticize me for asking a question for which I was looking for an answer. I've seen other threads but search is not working so I could not find those threads to research. If you don't like my question, you don't need to reply just to be snarky.

..... I was unaware that some cruise lines actually held onto passports and that helps with my decision a lot.

I was unaware of this as well, but as the only foreign ports I've been to are in Mexico and Canada, I guess I wouldn't have heard of this. Good to know though.

aThe places where I've needed a passport from cruises were:Croatia, Amsterdam, Egypt and the USA. The captain, or cruise paper, generally tells you if the country requires you to show your passport- in fact, in Amsterdam I was just waved through because it was an EU passport, and they were looking for aliens!!!

Having had a passport for a very, very long time, it's something I don't carry around with me ever.....I don't know many Europeans who do.

It's always somewhere safe, away from prying eyes.

I've heard several reports of crew unlocking safes and handing the contents to the port staff- when a ship had to move quickly from Gibraltar last year, the pilot took them ashore.

Jo.

There is no good answer to this question. If you have your passport you can leave at your convenience if you are left behind but on the other hand if you loose or your passport is stolen you can denied entry back on the ship if you report it lost and you will not be able get through customs with out it.

Does anyone know how exactly you will get a replacement passport if there is no US consulate in the country you are at. I say this because if you look at the link below there are plenty of islands in the Caribbean that do not have a US consulate. http://www.usembassy.gov/

Here is what you have to do if your passport is lost or stolen. Hopefully you don't have to call on the weekend. How long it will take to get it is another question. http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/lost_848.html

Shak

I noticed on the excursion listing for my upcoming Princess cruise, some of the excursions say that you have to bring a passport with you, because those excursions happen to cross into Canada. Something to consider if you have an excursion which crosses a border.

You have summed it up pretty well, which you think is more likely to happen in port?

I'm a believer in keeping it in the safe. If I don't show up and the ship leaves, they generally know enough to my cabin and look the safe for the passport and leave it with the port agent. As others noted on many cruises they take them.

I have been on 2 cruises, and plan on many more now that we've discovered this.....

That being said, I have a question about taking passports into ports..... yea or nay?

I've heard arguments both ways and they both make sense..... If I take my passport, I run the risk of losing it, or having it stolen, but if I leave it on the ship, what happens if I miss the ship, or get in an accident, injured, etc, and have to get home some other way???

Anyone?

I've just watched a Border Control programme, where a man from the USA had lost his passport on arrival in Australia....but he had a photocopy. The airport staff were able to contact an Embassy, who confirmed the man's details; he was allowed into the country and arrangements were made for him to see a consul for a replacement the next day.

His holiday would be messed up a little by this, but thanks to his copy, he was allowed in. A copy is nearly as important as the original....I copy my insurance papers, too.

Jo.

When we cruised in Norway on a Norwegian cruise line (Hurtigruten), the ship personnel kept our passports. Otherwise, we take them with us. Yes, they could be lost or stolen. So could our drivers licenses, credit cards, etc. But I feel much more comfortable having them with us than left behind. We do make copies which stay on the ship and one in our luggage.

I've just watched a Border Control programme, where a man from the USA had lost his passport on arrival in Australia....but he had a photocopy. The airport staff were able to contact an Embassy, who confirmed the man's details; he was allowed into the country and arrangements were made for him to see a consul for a replacement the next day.

His holiday would be messed up a little by this, but thanks to his copy, he was allowed in. A copy is nearly as important as the original....I copy my insurance papers, too.

Jo.

This is good to know! I also make copies of front and back of all my credit cards, passports, drivers licence and insurance cards..... I fold up the copies and put in a ziplock so they don't get wet, and shove them in the bottom of my day bag in ports.....

Archived