Churches and attire

beachseeker

Less than two months until our first Mediterranean cruise and trying to plan what clothes we will need. I know in Rome we need to wear long pants and shirts with sleeves when visiting churches/cathedrals. Is this the case in other ports? We are going to Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi, Taormina, Siracusa, Santorini, Ephesus, Mykonos, and end in Athens. I'm thinking end of June/early July will be hot and don't want to wear long pants if it is not necessary. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Susan

Less than two months until our first Mediterranean cruise and trying to plan what clothes we will need. I know in Rome we need to wear long pants and shirts with sleeves when visiting churches/cathedrals. Is this the case in other ports? We are going to Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi, Taormina, Siracusa, Santorini, Ephesus, Mykonos, and end in Athens. I'm thinking end of June/early July will be hot and don't want to wear long pants if it is not necessary. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Susan

You don't need to wear long pants, you just have to make sure your knees are covered and no tank tops. As far as other locations, I haven't found them to be quite as strict as Rome and Florence. Our boys couldn't even go into the Baptistry in Florence and they both had on long shorts. I would go with a skirt or capris. I wore capris everywhere and never had a problem.

from my experience, males, boys included need to have long slacks on. FWIW, I would invest in a pair of zip off pants for them.

for women and girls, skirts or capris that cover the knee and shirts that cover the shoulder. If you absolutely must wear a tank top just carry a shawl and tie it around your waist and then put it over your shoulders when in the church.

I found that even in smaller churches in Rome and churches in small towns, that have a caretaker watching your every move, that it is at their whim if or how they want to enforce the dress code.

bottom line, be prepared..or you may/will get turned away at the door.

Dh wears long thin fabic slacks and for me and my dd's we always wear skirts or capris and cover our shoulders.

We saw the same signs in many churches in many different cities all over Italy that indicated no bare knees or shoulders. Whether someone will be there to enforce it is another question. We take no chances and have the pants with zip off legs. On our day in Portofino/Santa Maragarita Ligure, I wasnt thinking and just wore regular shorts. For the two churches we saw, hubby went in and i waited outside and he took some photos and told me about them. I figure that even though here at home it's pretty normal for folks to wear shorts to mass, while in Italy, I respect their requests.

Since you are going to multiple countries, be aware that not all the churches/places of worship will be Catholic. We visited some wonderful Greek monasteries and they were pretty strict too. Also mosques and orthodox can require you to be covered.

We always try to just plan for the full coverup and the scarf works great......

Get a nice scarf and you can keep it in your bag that takes care of the shoulders (and head requirements in some places of worship) the rule for everywhere I have been is "knees and shoulders covered" (and sometimes heads) my son just hiked his shorts down a bit to make certain they were below his knees and we were allowed into the vatican without any problems. I don't think long pants are a requirement just be respectful. I personally wear skirts most of the time or dresses in Italy, find them much cooler anyhow than shorts so that works for me. My days of mini skirts are long gone lol

Get a nice scarf and you can keep it in your bag that takes care of the shoulders (and head requirements in some places of worship) the rule for everywhere I have been is "knees and shoulders covered" (and sometimes heads) my son just hiked his shorts down a bit to make certain they were below his knees and we were allowed into the vatican without any problems. I don't think long pants are a requirement just be respectful. I personally wear skirts most of the time or dresses in Italy, find them much cooler anyhow than shorts so that works for me. My days of mini skirts are long gone lol

Your son might have gotten away with it.....but please do not post things like "I don't think long pants are a requirement just be respectful" since there are LARGE SIGNS posted showing men/boys must be in long pants in multiple locations prior to entering St. Peters. For the museums - no big deal but for the Basilica - it is required. Some do get away with it - but most don't.

My son and Grandson both wore shorts that came below the knee and had no problem getting into St Peters Basilca.This was my 3rd time to visit the Vatican and I wore Capris.This was last June.We also visited the Bone Church and the woman there was very strict with some of the women who had on shorts or tank tops but lets us in with no problem.It must just depend on the person that is at the door and what kind of mood they are in that day. Kinda like TSA..

Your son might have gotten away with it.....but please do not post things like "I don't think long pants are a requirement just be respectful" since there are LARGE SIGNS posted showing men/boys must be in long pants in multiple locations prior to entering St. Peters. For the museums - no big deal but for the Basilica - it is required. Some do get away with it - but most don't.

Relax Tex, No need to yell! Everybodies experiences seem to vary.

I do not think long slacks are necessary at all. There is no way I would wear long slacks all day and neither would my husband. You will see every european man out there with capris on (something my husband is not quite ready to wear, but I keep trying).

I don't think it takes slacks to be respectful. And they certainly are not required to go into the Basilica.

Here is the picture of the sign posted outside of St. Peters at the Vatican.....

click on the link since I can't get the picture to copy here......

http://saintpetersbasilica.org/Pics/SQR/DressCode-JG.jpg

Again, they ARE required to go into the Basilica....... do they stop everyone ? No, but why go all the way to Rome and get turned away ........ it just depends on the guard on duty that day. I really can't understand why this is so hard ..... this is not only a church but the center of the catholic church and they have asked that you dress according to their wishes...... :confused:

So please do not make statements that pants are not required.

Here is the picture of the sign posted outside of St. Peters at the Vatican.....

click on the link since I can't get the picture to copy here......

http://saintpetersbasilica.org/Pics/SQR/DressCode-JG.jpg

Again, they ARE required to go into the Basilica....... do they stop everyone ? No, but why go all the way to Rome and get turned away ........ it just depends on the guard on duty that day. I really can't understand why this is so hard ..... this is not only a church but the center of the catholic church and they have asked that you dress according to their wishes...... :confused:

So please do not make statements that pants are not required.

I completely agree.

The picture clearly shows what the requirements are, and for men, pants are required. Whether this is enforced 100% of the time or not isn't really the question. It is certainly enforced a majority of the time based on what I've seen over the years and many visits to the basilica.

The basilica is a bit different given that there is the manpower to actually have someone look at what you're wearing and decide whether you pass muster. Not all (smaller) churches can afford to do this. Personally, I feel that a church (or any place of worship) belongs to the people who make up its congregation. If they are nice enough to allow me, a complete stranger, into their place of worship just to see some treasure or another (usually at no charge), the very LEAST I can do is show some respect for their requested dress code.

I do not think long slacks are necessary at all. There is no way I would wear long slacks all day and neither would my husband. You will see every european man out there with capris on (something my husband is not quite ready to wear, but I keep trying).

I don't think it takes slacks to be respectful. And they certainly are not required to go into the Basilica.

Just because you don't think they are necessary doesn't mean that they are allowed.

Your post is very misinformed and for you to say that they are not required to go into the Basilica is a blatant lie.

FWIW..I have never seen a European man with capris on in Rome...I have seen lightweight long slacks and lightweight button down shirts on them though.

We saw multiple people getting turned away right in front of St Peter's after a 90 minute wait in 95 degree weather....all because they did not heed the sign. In the case of European Catholic churches, it is the church/cathedral who decides what is respectful and what is not. Americans just find that hard to believe unfortunately....the picture posted in front of St Peters says it all and if you want to risk it that is up to you. We go to Europe nearly every year and I don't see all the European men in capri pants either. We too see them in long pants and lightweight shirts.

You could not be more wrong, but you are more than welcome to stand in line to prove your point. You might hit a guard willing to look the other way, or you may waste much of your precious day for naught.

I fail to understand why Americans find wearing adult clothes (long pants) so difficult, or such a hardship. It's a choice one makes ... if you choose to wear shorts, by doing so you may be choosing not to see certain sites, whether you agree or not. It's their church and they make the rules, they don't really care what you think.

DressCode-JG.jpg

"lightweight long slacks and lightweight button down shirts"

Yes. This is my typical hot-weather clothing for any Mediterranean country. Then I don't worry about dress codes. And this is merely my own opinion, but I believe a man in long pants, a collared shirt, and leather shoes will get a better reception just about anywhere in the world than the same man wearing Nikes, shorts and a t-shirt; or God forbid, Capris.

"I believe a man in long pants, a collared shirt, and leather shoes will get a better reception just about anywhere in the world than the same man wearing Nikes, shorts and a t-shirt; or God forbid, Capris"

I've seen some travel spots on CNN that said that as well.

Wow, that sign makes it pretty clear to me! I don't get why it's so difficult to adhere to a posted dress code. Insisting on wearing short pants or sleeveless tops into a church when it is requested that you simply cover your legs / arms is part of what gives some of us that "Ugly American" moniker, I'm afraid.

I'm taking my first trip to Europe on a cruise and I bought a pair of convertible capri pants at Kohls. They cost me $15 and they look dressy when long but you can roll the up and button them to have a shorter, cooler length. Why not invest in a pair of those? They are cheap, lightweight, and look great. I'm going to pair those with an elbow-length short sleeve top and a scarf that I can also use to wrap around my arms if necessary. Just trying to be prepared.

As for the guys, my husband understands and respects the requested dress code and will be wearing long lightweight pants. If you really *can't* wear long pants all day, why not wear your shorts but carry a pair of long pants to put on before you enter the church?

I was the OP and if you read my first post, I said, "I know in Rome I need to wear long pants and a shirt with sleeves". My question was the other ports. I did gain useful information in that I didn't think capris would be acceptable. At no time was I complaining about the dress code nor trying to find ways to circumvent the dress code. I had not read about dress codes in Sicily, Turkey, and Greece for churches/cathedrals, mosques. We did a two week land tour in Germany and we went into all churches in shorts so I know there is not always a dress code. Simply seeking information so that we will not miss any opportunities to visit the churches and will be dressed appropriately when needed. I am not worried about the cost of whatever clothes I need to purchase to be appropriately dressed. To those who gave me good advice, thank you. I am getting gun shy about starting a thread or posting a reply.:mad:

I don't think anyone was posting anything negative at you as the OP....more rather those that responded that pants were not required to enter St. Peters.

The whole purpose of this website is to share information. Accurate information. When someone posts what they "think" instead of what is "accurate" it could cause someone to miss out on an opportunity that cannot be recouped.......

We have found that the countries with Catholic or Orthodox churches are more stringent in their dress codes..... as well as Muslim of course. These TEND to be the so called "romantic" countries......Italy, Spain, France, Greece... but not always.

Actually it would be so much easier if they were all consistent in their rules..... but that would be too easy :roll eyes:

But the bottom line is - you go all the way over there to see the sites - and to be turned away whether due to inaccurate information or just because someone thinks they can "get away with it" is unfortunate indeed.

Yep, since this is my very first trip to Europe I wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered. I'd hate to travel all that way and be turned away from a church just because I wasn't covered up enough. But that's me, I tend to be OVERprepared. Better safe than sorry!

Archived