Thomson Majesty's first cruise

I'd like to add my thanks to Wightryder for providing an excellent balanced account and for posting photos. We are on the 1st June trip & having only cruised once before on a Royal Caribbean Florida to the Bahamas itinerary I'm unsure of what to do about excursions. It sounds as though it would be a good idea to get out of Brindisi but can we leave booking until we are on the ship or is there any advantage to booking on line in advance?

Any advice will be much appreciated.:)

Yes you'll get opportunities on board.Excursions seem,to me, the whole point of cruising otherwise you may just as well book into a good hotel with a sea view

For all other nights just shirts and trousers for men is fine but not really jeans. For ladies just dress in something nice - not T shirt and shorts!

Excuse me, but Hubby and I will wear what we like, thankyou very much :mad:

If you don't approve, don't look at us :p

And I don't want to hear "If you don't want to dress smartly, go on a different cruise line!" My money is as good as anyones so why shouldn't I wear what I feel comfortable in?

For all other nights just shirts and trousers for men is fine but not really jeans. For ladies just dress in something nice - not T shirt and shorts!

And I don't want to hear "If you don't want to dress smartly, go on a different cruise line!" My money is as good as anyones so why shouldn't I wear what I feel comfortable in?

Careful ! you'll have the fashion police calling round;)

[/b]

Careful ! you'll have the fashion police calling round;) By the way,where did that quote come from?

The quote came from Wightryder. It's No. 46 on this thread posted May 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM

"Gala night men should at least wear a jacket and tie. I just wore a blazer with shirt & tie and black trousers. For ladies smart trousers and top is acceptable or of course a nice dress. Just be smart really.

If you don't want to do that you can just eat in the Buffet on deck 10.

Gala night means a bit of effort. For all other nights just shirts and trousers for men is fine but not really jeans. For ladies just dress in something nice - not T shirt and shorts! "

It really annoys me that if you don't dress up, some people look at you like dirt under their shoe!

We don't do Gala nights and mostly eat in the Buffet restaurant but, on occasions, when we do eat in the MDR, Hubby sometimes wears jeans and I wear what I feel comfortable in. If that's shorts and T shirt then so be it.

If I was falling down drunk, swearing and causing hastle to anyone, fair enough, but why should what I've chosen to wear be such a problem????

The quote came from Wightryder. It's No. 46 on this thread posted May 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM

"Gala night men should at least wear a jacket and tie. I just wore a blazer with shirt & tie and black trousers. For ladies smart trousers and top is acceptable or of course a nice dress. Just be smart really.

If you don't want to do that you can just eat in the Buffet on deck 10.

Gala night means a bit of effort. For all other nights just shirts and trousers for men is fine but not really jeans. For ladies just dress in something nice - not T shirt and shorts! "

We don't do Gala nights and mostly eat in the Buffet restaurant but on occasions when we do eat in the MDR. Hubby sometimes wears jeans and I wear what I feel comfortable in. If that's shorts and T shirt then so be it.

If I was falling down drunk, swearing and causing hastle to anyone, fair enough, but why should what I've chosen to wear be such a problem????

As a non -conformist and Libertarian myself I do tend to agree with you, having said that I guess there is a sort of historical etiquette thing at work here where there are expectations of certain standard of dress, not compulsory I grant you and I'm sure thats what Wrightryder was referring to. To be fair it is refreshing to go on a holiday where people aren't wearing football shirts , thats all , but the choice is yours...I personally cant stand tatoo's and earrings but wouldn't impose that opinion

My money is as good as anyones so why shouldn't I wear what I feel comfortable in?

Because it's not about you! Many other people like to enjoy the atmosphere of a smart night and lowering the tone spoils it for them which you clearly don't appreciate. And no, I don't particularly like dressing up either, sometimes we have been to the gala night, sometimes we have skipped it but I do respect my fellow passengers which you clearly do not.

If you go to the theatre do you stand up and heckle the performance because 'your admission money is as good as anyone else's and you have a right to say what you think'? Well, maybe you do judging by your comments.

We are talking about peer pressure here. Your dress can comply with the requirements of the cruiseline and people will still say you are not formal enough! They expect you to wear a dinner jacket on formal night and if you don't you will 'stand out like a sore thumb' or something similar.

So be it!

If seeing someone else in the bars and lounges on formal night upsets them that is their problem. They should cruise on a more formal cruise line.

There you go, I have reversed the argument that people who 'don't do formal' should cruise on another line.

The cruise companies are realists. They would rather have you dressed in your smart casual spending money aboard than having that cabin empty.

Is there a cruise line out there that demands and enforces a ship wide compliance with the code for the evening?

My position is that I comply fully with the dress codes as set out by the company. I even wear a dinner jacket if eating in the main dining room on formal nights. If as I do I change into smart casual for the rest of the evening I do so because I feel more comfortable.

" Because it's not about you! " :rolleyes:

It is about me!!!! It's my holiday just as much as yours, so why should I be made to feel I have to conform to what you want?

As I said, we don't do formal and don't go to the MDR on gala nights, but why should we be made to feel like second class citizens in any of the bars.

Should we stay in our cabin all eveing just because I want to wear shorts and a T shirt?

" Because it's not about you! " :rolleyes:

It is about me!!!! It's my holiday just as much as yours, so why should I be made to feel I have to conform to what you want?

As I said, we don't do formal and don't go to the MDR on gala nights, but why should we be made to feel like second class citizens in any of the bars.

Should we stay in our cabin all eveing just because I want to wear shorts and a T shirt?

Yes!

if that is not the dress code for the evening on that ship

if the code is smart casual with a collared shirt and long trousers or 'smart' jeans that is what you wear.

If the code for that evening is formal and you are allowed to wear smart casual in the bars etc then eat in the buffet that evening, dressed in your smart casual of course.

shorts and a T-shirt are day wear, unless you are aboard a completely casual ship.

Show me a copy of the dress code for Thomson ships at any given time of day or night..........?

I'm not wearing hot pant shorts and a football shirt. I'm generally wearing taylored shorts (just above the knee) and a fancy (vest) T shirt.

What's wrong with that?

I think there is a dress etiquette on cruise ships and one of the reasons we go with Thomson is because it is mainly smart casual and if like us you do not go to the formal night there is no need to take formal wear. I always get pretty dressed up for dinner on holiday, regardless of whether we are on a cruise ship, in a hotel or an apartment. If I were going camping then that would be a different matter. I am old school on this one and don't really want to see shorts in th MDR.

Show me a copy of the dress code for Thomson ships at any given time of day or night..........?

I'm not wearing hot pant shorts and a football shirt. I'm generally wearing taylored shorts (just above the knee) and a fancy (vest) T shirt.

What's wrong with that?

Let me see you in your hot pants and I'll tell you ;) [ done in Grouch Marx fashion ]....I'll get my coat.......

Tailored shorts to the knee and smart top for ladies I would say is no different to a knee length dress or skirt. I was actually referring to women in casual shorts and men showing their legs when I said that (she cringes, waiting for the backlash :eek:). Kilts excepted :)

Tailored shorts to the knee and smart top for ladies I would say is no different to a knee length dress or skirt. I was actually referring to women in casual shorts and men showing their legs when I said that (she cringes, waiting for the backlash :eek:). Kilts excepted :)

The Scot's guards are doing some wonderful things in tartan kilts these days:o

As I said, we don't do formal and don't go to the MDR on gala nights.

Thats fine, as you say its your holiday and if your happy in what you wear ,end of problem if there ever was one.

Like you we tend to use the Lido over the main dining room,its our choice,just like yours or anyone elses for that matter .:) I do not own a dinner jacket and never will but do have a jacket and tie which as other posters have put do not stay on long if I have anything to do with it.

Also I would add I have sat in the Lido and bars dressed up and happily chat to my fellow passengers who do not , I look down on no one , as I say if they are happy thats fine by me . You say you do not use MDR for the gala night .. so no problem:)

why should we be made to feel like second class citizens in any of the bars.

As far as I am aware Thomson do not impose a dress code in the bars again if you feel good in your choice of dress then fine . Other cruise lines do have "no go areas" on dress up nights and based on that I choose not to use and cruise with them, again my choice.:)

No you should not .:cool:

Have a great holiday !:D

Thomsons are pretty informal really. They simply provide the Gala Night as an opportunity for those who do wish to dress up (and there are a lot of people who do) to do so in the company of like minded others. That seems fair enough to me, if I want to attend then I will wear at least a dark jacket, trousers and tie to maintain the atmosphere. If I don't I will eat elsewhere.

Last autumn we went transatlantic on Queen Mary 2 and there it was four formal nights out of six. I didn't enjoy getting dressed up very much so many times but that was part of the deal so I accepted it and I have to confess that it did make for a special atmosphere in really impressive surroundings. Our main reason for going was to experience the classic Atlantic Ferry and travel on a 'proper' liner as opposed to a cruise ship. It was certainly an experience to remember.

This is our first cruise have enjoyed all your comments. My husband only takes shorts on our holiday, but in the evening we always put on smart casual. But are really looking foreward to dressing up, well i am. :)

This is our first cruise have enjoyed all your comments. My husband only takes shorts on our holiday, but in the evening we always put on smart casual. But are really looking foreward to dressing up, well i am. :)

Hope you have a great time. When are you going?

Careful ! you'll have the fashion police calling round;)

And here they are Keith:D

Looking for a snazzy little number for those posh MDR nights then look no futher ! ;)

Wear your shorts and feel great and not forgeting your wooly hat for those chilly evening strolls along deck :cool:

Are you getting one Keith ?? :D (sandals are extra)

fashionpolice-1.jpg

Archived