Thomson Majesty's first cruise

There are two quite good YouTube accounts with some videos of the ship:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CQtaro/videos?query=Majesty

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuego38130/videos?query=majesty

The first link has most of the videos I mentioned earlier, the others look new to me - so going to relax back and have a look. Thank you.

Do you just copy and paste the link in?

The first link has most of the videos I mentioned earlier, the others look new to me - so going to relax back and have a look. Thank you.

Yes, just copy and paste the website address from the top. :)

Now thompson have the ship lets hope they use hand sanitiser gel and not one of the pools :eek: :(

Nice find Jakanne1 :cool::)

Now thompson have the ship lets hope they use hand sanitiser gel and not one of the pools :eek: :(

He could have done the 'big toe test' instead. :D

Nice find Jakanne1 :cool::)

Thank you. Pleased to contribute. Have learned a lot from this site.

I am quite new to this message posting thingy but thank you very much for taking the trouble to let everyone know your thoughts after your holiday on Majesty. It sounds good for a first trip out with Thomson and the pics are good too. Thank you very much.

From everything I've read on here and on Thomson's blog, it seems that there are three main problems people seem to be finding: size of cabins, size of restaurants and entertainment changes - things people on here noticed when the rumours first started circulating that Thomson were leasing Majesty.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do go to introducing fixed dining if the problems continue with the speed of getting a seat at the restaurants. I am not the biggest fan of fixed dining, but if it means that you can definitely get a seat at a certain time maybe it would be better.

Perhaps they'll be able to make some changes to the show lounge to be able to put on the west end-style shows. With the cabins, I suppose that's just something you'd have to put up with. Saying that, Destiny's cabins were also small.

In terms of positives, it seems that there's no serious plumbing and air-con problems onboard like we saw on Thomson Dream, and I think on Celebration's first cruises too. Also, the ports of call (especially Adriatic Explorer) IMO outweigh any problems on the ship. :D

From everything I've read on here and on Thomson's blog, it seems that there are three main problems people seem to be finding: size of cabins, size of restaurants and entertainment changes - things people on here noticed when the rumours first started circulating that Thomson were leasing Majesty.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do go to introducing fixed dining if the problems continue with the speed of getting a seat at the restaurants. I am not the biggest fan of fixed dining, but if it means that you can definitely get a seat at a certain time maybe it would be better.

Perhaps they'll be able to make some changes to the show lounge to be able to put on the west end-style shows. With the cabins, I suppose that's just something you'd have to put up with. Saying that, Destiny's cabins were also small.

In terms of positives, it seems that there's no serious plumbing and air-con problems onboard like we saw on Thomson Dream, and I think on Celebration's first cruises too. Also, the ports of call (especially Adriatic Explorer) IMO outweigh any problems on the ship. :D

I think you have summed it up very well Sailaway - at least on the feedback we've had so far. And there don't seem to be too many surprises either - much as we'd anticipated.

You're right too that the itinerary is likely to be the saving grace - always popular and fantastic! I hope that they will be able to work around some of the things which have been highlighted - in all fairness I guess they have to try it all out and assess how it's going and hopefully some of the things which people have commented on will be able to improved (tho clearly the cabin size is a given!). In the meantime I'm relieved that what I've read isn't causing too many alarm bells to ring!

I think you have summed it up very well Sailaway - at least on the feedback we've had so far. And there don't seem to be too many surprises either - much as we'd anticipated.

You're right too that the itinerary is likely to be the saving grace - always popular and fantastic! I hope that they will be able to work around some of the things which have been highlighted - in all fairness I guess they have to try it all out and assess how it's going and hopefully some of the things which people have commented on will be able to improved (tho clearly the cabin size is a given!). In the meantime I'm relieved that what I've read isn't causing too many alarm bells to ring!

Hopefully the entertainment will be altered slightly after the comments they seems to be receiving this season. In terms of the ship itself, if they are looking at keeping it for the longterm, then perhaps in the end it will also receive the same refurbs that Celebration and Dream are having sometime in the next few years.

Hope you enjoy your cruise on Majesty and will look forward to your feedback. Is it this Friday you're boarding?

Hopefully the entertainment will be altered slightly after the comments they seems to be receiving this season. In terms of the ship itself, if they are looking at keeping it for the longterm, then perhaps in the end it will also receive the same refurbs that Celebration and Dream are having sometime in the next few years.

Hope you enjoy your cruise on Majesty and will look forward to your feedback. Is it this Friday you're boarding?

Yes! And really looking forward to it - and as you might imagine - I'll let you know all about it when I get back! :D :rolleyes:

The reviews on the blog are not too bad but I find it difficult to believe that the first cruise was terrible.

It wasn't!

But you do get all sorts of people. One passenger I noticed in the dining room treated the waiters like dirt, he really enjoyed ordering them about knowing that they just had to take it and smile. The vast majority of people are fine but you will always get a small minority who delight in nit picking and causing trouble and they tend to make themselves heard far more then the majority who are happy with their experience.

It wasn't!

But you do get all sorts of people. One passenger I noticed in the dining room treated the waiters like dirt, he really enjoyed ordering them about knowing that they just had to take it and smile. The vast majority of people are fine but you will always get a small minority who delight in nit picking and causing trouble and they tend to make themselves heard far more then the majority who are happy with their experience.

Hi Wightryder I am trying to thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a good review and pics on how Majesty's first cruise with Thomson. I am not very good at it and I think I did it wrong, but thanks anyway. On the Thomsom blog it is suggested that if you ask the waiters to reserve a table for you and arrive at the same time every night they are happy to do it - so that may be an option for people of habit. We are going in September and will enjoy it!

Big thanks to all that have reviewed the majesty so quickly after its maiden voyage for Thomson. Reviews don't seem worrying at all which is a huge relief. I'd originally booked the destiny for our honeymoon on 10th August (the only job I was trusted with in terms of wedding planning). Was getting quite nervous after reading about the ship change. Looking forward to it now, thank you!

Thomsom blog it is suggested that if you ask the waiters to reserve a table for you and arrive at the same time every night they are happy to do it

I don't know if that is the case or not, no we shall have to see what others say once the ship has settled down a bit. Certainly if you did queue they admitted you in the order that you arrived and also ensured that you would be able to share a table with your friends etc. Basically what we had last week was a 'first' sitting from 6:30 when the restaurant opened and then effectively 'open' dining from around 8:20 onwards. So, overall, neither one thing or the other really. We were happy enough to go down at 8:20 so it wasn't a problem for us but getting a table between say 7pm and 8:20 would be difficult as the restaurant would already be full.

I don't know if that is the case or not, no we shall have to see what others say once the ship has settled down a bit. Certainly if you did queue they admitted you in the order that you arrived and also ensured that you would be able to share a table with your friends etc. Basically what we had last week was a 'first' sitting from 6:30 when the restaurant opened and then effectively 'open' dining from around 8:20 onwards. So, overall, neither one thing or the other really. We were happy enough to go down at 8:20 so it wasn't a problem for us but getting a table between say 7pm and 8:20 would be difficult as the restaurant would already be full.

when on the thomson celabration last year the waiters were more than happy to save the table for our party of 6 every nite when we turned up around 8.30 ish never had to wait more than 5 mins. most nights the table was made up so expect the same on the majesty its good to have the same waiters they a big part of the cruise i think :)

I have not just back form a cruise but I am going on the Majesty in July. Has any one got any news of how the new ship is? I went on the Dream the first year Thomson used it and I loved it we had no problems and I loved it so much we went again the next year.:)

I have not just back form a cruise but I am going on the Majesty in July. Has any one got any news of how the new ship is? I went on the Dream the first year Thomson used it and I loved it we had no problems and I loved it so much we went again the next year.:)

Have a look at this thread and follow the links. Fairly positive reviews - one pretty bad one on the 'other' site - you'll see the link to that in the thread too but a more recent one which seems quite good.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1630948

Going on this week - will post back with my impressions in due course - long before you go. There should be quite a bit of feedback before then.

Going on this week - will post back with my impressions in due course - long before you go. There should be quite a bit of feedback before then.

Hi Kruzseeka, If I don't have time to post tomorrow, have a lovely time. So jealous ;) - we loved the Adriatic last year and I would like to do that again with the Aegean as well. I'm sure the ship wil be OK. Can't be as bad as the Dream when Thomson first had her :eek: Looking forward to your review. Sorry! I'm sure you don't want to think of coming back:D:D

Have a look at this thread and follow the links. Fairly positive reviews - one pretty bad one on the 'other' site - you'll see the link to that in the thread too but a more recent one which seems quite good.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1630948

When do you return Kruz' ? I hope to read your comments before I go, although it'll be too late then I suspect...what will be will be, always expect the unexpected;) I'm sure you'll have a great time

We were talking to Ray Bauer on the Spirit last week, he was the cruise director on Destiny over Xmas and New year, a good cruise director and a great bloke. I think he will go far (you heard it here first folk). Anyway he seems to be getting involved with the entertainment in general for Thompson. I asked him about the Majesty and pointed out that there seemed to be some consternation regarding the entertainment, he said that Thomson put a lot into their entertainment planning, which I cannot disagree with as I think they are excellent at providing entertainment. That they were monitoring passenger feedback and would make any changes they felt neccessary if people were not happy. A bit woolly but what else could he say, time will tell. I can only applaud Thompson for trying something different even though I do prefer the mixture of stage shows and guest entertainers myself.

Hi Kruzseeka, If I don't have time to post tomorrow, have a lovely time. So jealous ;) - we loved the Adriatic last year and I would like to do that again with the Aegean as well. I'm sure the ship wil be OK. Can't be as bad as the Dream when Thomson first had her :eek: Looking forward to your review. Sorry! I'm sure you don't want to think of coming back:D

Thanks Linda for your good wishes - to others who have also sent good wishes too. :)

I'm looking forward to it - we booked with our eyes open after the swap so I don't have any sense of being forced into something I didn't sign up for! (Unlike some who booked for Destiny and may, for a number of reasons, feel a bit rail-roaded). No doubt there will be some moaners, perhaps even in some instances with legitimate cause, but we tend to give them a wide berth - we're going with a very positive mind set and am not going to let others spoil our holiday.

The itinerary is fab - and from more recent reports things are slotting into place. As long as I have a comfy bed, can manage to find somewhere to put all my clothes (!), find the food and service good, I'll be quite happy. Oh and some decent weather wouldn't go amiss!!!!! :rolleyes:

But I will try to be as objective as possible on my return and give as fair a picture as I can - with comparisons between Majesty and our experiences of the other Thomson ships - hopefully to add to everyone's information gathering in order that they can make more informed choices about future cruise plans.

But I am quite excited now! :D

But I will try to be as objective as possible on my return and give as fair a picture as I can - with comparisons between Majesty and our experiences of the other Thomson ships - hopefully to add to everyone's information gathering in order that they can make more informed choices about future cruise plans.

But I am quite excited now! :D

Have a great time! Don't want to wish your holiday away, but looking forward to your review.

Hubby wants to go to Olympia from Kolokolon (sp). Would you look into whether you could do it independently, please? At this stage I think I would prefer to do the Thomson excursion as Olympia is a good distance from the

port but I read it was easy to do yourself.

Have a great time Kruzseeka, I will look forward to your review upon your return as I know it will be written truthfully and as it is!!!

Can't wait for our Baltic Cruise in August - it seems such a long way away.

Hope the weather will be good for you.

Janet

Thank you all! :):)

Will try to check that out Jakanne re Katakolon. I had all the info to do it the first time we went only to find the taxi drivers telling us there was a train strike - my reaction was 'good try' (not that I said that to them!) only to discover they were right! We did do a recce though and the 'station' (more like a garage!) is close to the edge of the 'town' (for town read 'street'). You will spot it as it is literally at the end of the track so once you see the rails you're sure to find the station. We missed it for a while as we were looking for something more obvious. It's about a 10 minute walk at the opposite end of town from where you dock.

Next time we went we thought we'd got it cracked - I'd even got the train times off the internet BUT.............. it was the day they were lighting the Olympic Torch for the Winter Olympics so Olympia was shut for visits until the afternoon. We felt there wouldn't be enough time to risk a DiY on that basis so booked the Thomson pm trip and I must say it was really good - so much better than I had imagined it would be. The guide brought the place to life.

Our friends though did go on the train in the morning thinking they'd just look around the town of Olympia but got swept along with the crowds and into the stadium where they watched the ceremony! Free! They had to leave afterwards though as they were not allowed anywhere else on the site so decided to just get the train back as they didn't dare pay to go back in for fear of not getting a train back in time - they don't run too frequently.

You will have to try to determine that the trains ARE running though - I believe there was a time last year when they weren't but this site seems to have info about times from Katakolon to Olympia and return.

http://www.olympia-greece.org/katakolon-train-bus.html

I notice there is a Contact link - might be worth emailing and just asking the question whether this timetable is current.

There were taxi drivers offering to take you to Olympia but i don't think it was cheap - and may not have included admission.

We won't go this time but I'll keep an ear open if I can find anyone else whose done it by train also try to remember to see what the taxis are and let you know.

Archived