Zuiderdam 22-day Panama transit

startwin

My final "review" of sorts. Enough has already been written about the plumbing and air conditioning problems on this ship - including my own reports - so I won't dwell on that any further, except to say that this would be a fantastic ship if they could only sort those problems out.

Overall, the cruise was a fantastic experience and the itinerary was wonderful. The only port I didn't care for was Corinto, Nicaragua. But maybe we need to see such places to make us realise how lucky we are.

Other than that, from Half Moon Cay all the way back to Vancouver, we enjoyed every port. I've heard rumours that HMC is being dropped next year. I sure hope not, it's a wonderful place to spend a day.

We had great weather all the way, no rain - until we left San Diego where we hit 3 days of rough seas. Oh well.

The canal transit was a dream come true for me, and was the highlight of the trip. What a fantastic day! I spent so much time running around from location to location to get photos, finally I decided to go back to our cabin balcony and stayed put for the rest of the day, and being on deck 4 gave us a great view.

San Diego was a bit of a fiasco, thanks to US border control or whatever they are called. They originally were only going to send two officers to clear the whole ship but fortunately a few more came onboard. But the delays meant that excursions were cancelled, and there wasn't enough time to see much of this beautiful city.

The ship - everyone is already aware of the problems. But I have to say that overall, the crew is constantly cleaning and fixing, and replacing worn carpets, and it is generally is good shape. Some areas needed fixing the whole cruise - for example the table area in the Lido buffet with a bucket on the chair to catch the water leak from above:rolleyes: This was my first time on this class of ship - we usually sail on the smaller ones - and I thought it was well laid out, apart from having the Explorations Cafe and the computers in the Crows Nest. It made for a very busy place, especially during Team Trivia.

Because of our plumbing problems (we fortunately had great air conditioning) I spent a lot of time interacting with the front office. During the first week it was the most aggravating experience ever - they are so robotic and seem to quote from a script every time you ask a question. However, as time went on I actually grew to like most of them. They seemed to loosen up a bit. Just one female was always very unfriendly and unhelpful and with most passengers her attitude was always that whatever was wrong, it was the passengers' fault. I just avoided her and waited for one of the others to be available.

Yes there were a lot of upset passengers onboard. Especially after Grand Turk when the big air conditioning fix seemed to be more of a big screw up. But I can honestly say that just about everyone had a great time. Our roll call - well over 100 people - was a wonderful bunch of people and many friendships were made.

What can I say about the crew - every last one was friendly, helpful and a credit to HAL. Our room stewards were efficient and a pleasure to deal with, and in the MDR our servers were great. They are, however, stretched to the max and the cutbacks really show. Our wine waiter told us there are to be further cuts in that area. The servers are having to do way too much to compensate. And the room stewards now have way too many cabins to clean.

The food was good every night except they really can't seem to cook asparagus properly:( It was always soggy and cold. We ate at the Pinnacle Grill 3 times, with two good experiences and one bad, service-wise. We avoided the Lido buffet as much as possible, but what we did have there was good. We used room service every day for breakfast, it was always on time and warm, if not hot.

I've already mentioned in another thread how the last formal night was turned into "Formal Optional". A disaster as far as many of us were concerned, because so many turned up in jeans and t-shirts, and some wore ball caps. It was a silly thing to do, and I hope they never repeat it. It should be either formal or smart casual. On all other formal nights, there was a mix, but seldom did you see jeans, and never caps! I don't care what anyone else wears but the "optional" formal made for a very strange evening!

Overall, I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat - if they could only put all the crew and staff on a fully-functioning ship! So we will not book the Zuiderdam again, but have one more HAL cruise booked on another ship, and then we shall decide whether to stick with HAL or not.

Sorry to be so long-winded!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your overall impressions. We really enjoyed the Zuiderdam and it is such a shame that these problems have cropped up.

You certainly took the problems in stride and still enjoyed the cruise - Cudos to you:) I totally agree on the Panama canal - I never wanted to go - didn't see what the fuss was about - and then we went.;) A really enjoyable cruise and now i know what all the fuss was about:)

I hear you on 'border' control/customs/whatever. We had the same issues in Fort Lauderdale a couple of years ago - they didn't bring near enough people on and it was a very long disembarkation with long lines waiting to get out of the port.

Thanks again startwin for taking us along and reporting your experiences and others on the ship. welcome home:)

Thanks so much Startwin. Appreciate your final review, and all the interim comments.

I'm another person who's had a serious-problem-not-my-fault (but it was an easy fix). But, boy, do I ever "HEAR YOU" about some of the front office staff.

Thank you for taking the time to do your review.

In San Diego -- that has been a big problem on the repositioning cruises. The last 2 we did on the Westerdam -- there were some foreigners who did not follow instructions and report to immigration as instructed. The last one we did in 2009 they kept calling one couple along with their cabin number. Finally they found them -- after an announcemnt was made that if they didn't show up they could be subject to a fine. The ship was finally cleared at 10:40. For those of staying on to Seattle -- that left very little time for us to get out and about.

Tell us more about the bad experience in the Pinnacle.

Thank you for taking the time to do your review.

In San Diego -- that has been a big problem on the repositioning cruises. The last 2 we did on the Westerdam -- there were some foreigners who did not follow instructions and report to immigration as instructed. The last one we did in 2009 they kept calling one couple along with their cabin number. Finally they found them -- after an announcemnt was made that if they didn't show up they could be subject to a fine. The ship was finally cleared at 10:40. For those of staying on to Seattle -- that left very little time for us to get out and about.

Tell us more about the bad experience in the Pinnacle.

The Pinnacle Grill... our one bad experience involved the service. Our waiter finally came and introduced himself after we had been seated for 10 minutes, and that was the last we ever saw of him. Finally, one of the girls came to take our order and she was very pleasant, but at one point we sat with dirty dishes for 20 minutes before they were cleared. My medium steak was very rare, and our vegetables were luke-warm. About an hour later we spotted our waiter coming back into the restaurant, it looked like he had been on a break:( We wouldn't have gone back if we did not have two more free PG dinners. But I'm glad we did as the other times were much more enjoyable, though the food in the MDR was as good, in my opinion - and the crab cakes were even better:).

The Pinnacle Grill... our one bad experience involved the service. Our waiter finally came and introduced himself after we had been seated for 10 minutes, and that was the last we ever saw of him. Finally, one of the girls came to take our order and she was very pleasant, but at one point we sat with dirty dishes for 20 minutes before they were cleared. My medium steak was very rare, and our vegetables were luke-warm. About an hour later we spotted our waiter coming back into the restaurant, it looked like he had been on a break:( We wouldn't have gone back if we did not have two more free PG dinners. But I'm glad we did as the other times were much more enjoyable, though the food in the MDR was as good, in my opinion - and the crab cakes were even better:).

Hopefully, you didn't leave a 'tip'! ;)

Thank you for expalining about the one bad time at the Pinnacle. Glad the other 2 wonderful.

On the Westerdam a couple of years ago we had a bad experience and the manager could have cared less. So we cancelled our other reservations. We wouldn't even go back for breakfast.

Thanks for your review. I've had a mix of good /bad service & good/not so good food in 2 Pinnacle Grills. Ryndam was the worst. Last year on the OOsterdam the wait staff thought they were all that & a bag of chips. Fist dinner waiter said he couldn't get cart to table for the 6 of us to have Caesar Salad. However another waiter got the cart to our table for Steak Diane. What really blew my mind was the attitude of the Pinnacle staff on disembarkation day. I get wheelchair assist going off the ship at the end of a cruise and the Pinnacle crew are those who had to push the wheelchairs this time. You could easily tell by the look on their faces, they did NOT enjoy having to do this task. Not a nice way to leave a ship after 14 glorious days.:rolleyes:

Thank you for taking the time to write a "final" review, which I enjoyed reading.

Again, I am sorry that you experienced the toilet problems.

Cruising through the Panama Canal is a wonderful experience.

What have you booked for your next cruise?

Thank you for taking the time to write a "final" review, which I enjoyed reading.

Again, I am sorry that you experienced the toilet problems.

Cruising through the Panama Canal is a wonderful experience.

What have you booked for your next cruise?

We booked the circle Hawaii for next April, (Vancouver - Vancouver) but I have a few reservations about it now, so may change it. I would actually love to go back and do the Panama transit again, back to San Diego next time though and avoid the rough seas from SD to Vancouver, and the party crowd that comes on for the 4-day segment.

Thanks for your review. I've had a mix of good /bad service & good/not so good food in 2 Pinnacle Grills. Ryndam was the worst. Last year on the OOsterdam the wait staff thought they were all that & a bag of chips. Fist dinner waiter said he couldn't get cart to table for the 6 of us to have Caesar Salad. However another waiter got the cart to our table for Steak Diane. What really blew my mind was the attitude of the Pinnacle staff on disembarkation day. I get wheelchair assist going off the ship at the end of a cruise and the Pinnacle crew are those who had to push the wheelchairs this time. You could easily tell by the look on their faces, they did NOT enjoy having to do this task. Not a nice way to leave a ship after 14 glorious days.:rolleyes:

Interesting - it was the Pinnacle Grill staff who did the wheelchair disembarkation for us, too! The PG Manager was co-ordinating. No, they definitely were not enjoying it, but can't say I blame them - some of those size zero girls were having to push some pretty hefty passengers.

I would actually love to go back and do the Panama transit again, back to San Diego next time though and avoid the rough seas from SD to Vancouver, and the party crowd that comes on for the 4-day segment.

Hey startwin,

I was on the 4-day segment and if there was a party crowd, I missed it.:D

I have to admit, I am not a party animal, but seriously I thought the ship was pretty quiet in the evenings when I walked around. Maybe I didn't look in the right place.;)

I am sure the dynamics changed when the new passengers boarded.

Do you know if there were any passengers on the 18-day Panama Canal segment that were going to remain on through the Alaska cruise?

That would be two extreme weather changes. I can't imagine how difficult packing for that would be!

bobalink

Just did this very same cruise,as well --loved Golfo Dulce. Yes, some of the places we saw were very poor--does make you feel lucky! Crew,Captain,CD JT and DJ Steve were all terrific

Love HAL and would hope to give Zuiderdam another chance, once she has been refitted

Cheers!

We booked the circle Hawaii for next April, (Vancouver - Vancouver) but I have a few reservations about it now, so may change it. I would actually love to go back and do the Panama transit again, back to San Diego next time though and avoid the rough seas from SD to Vancouver, and the party crowd that comes on for the 4-day segment.

If you go do the Panama again we will be there! But we are going to continue to Vancouver....I loved the rough seas! Some of that party crowd was probably my cousins:eek::)

If you go do the Panama again we will be there! But we are going to continue to Vancouver....I loved the rough seas! Some of that party crowd was probably my cousins:eek::)

Not unless your cousins were running up and down the hallways at 3 am hooting and hollering (deck 4):D And then there was the hen party......

Hey startwin,

I was on the 4-day segment and if there was a party crowd, I missed it.:D

I have to admit, I am not a party animal, but seriously I thought the ship was pretty quiet in the evenings when I walked around. Maybe I didn't look in the right place.;)

I am sure the dynamics changed when the new passengers boarded.

Do you know if there were any passengers on the 18-day Panama Canal segment that were going to remain on through the Alaska cruise?

That would be two extreme weather changes. I can't imagine how difficult packing for that would be!

bobalink

They were partying in the cabins, Bobalink! And how the heck did you miss the hen party... grass skirts, cowboy hats, usually glued to bar stools, LOL:D

There were quite a few pax carrying on to Alaska, mainly Brits, who we got to know very well. They had purchased the whole package so they did the 22-days plus 7 days Alaska. Can you imagine the packing that would involve? And they were restricted to one suitcase each by the airline:eek: We've exchanged email addresses with several of them so can't wait for them to get back and get reports of that segment. I love Alaska, would have happily stayed on but DH says 3 times is enough:(

The Zuiderdam will be going into dry-dock at the end of November for ten days. Hopefully the "freshening up" of the ship will entice you to try her again!

I loved the ship itself, and especially the crew. Not convinced the dry dock is going to solve the problems, as the hotel manager listed what was going to be done - and it didn't involve the plumbing or air conditioning:(

They were partying in the cabins, Bobalink! And how the heck did you miss the hen party... grass skirts, cowboy hats, usually glued to bar stools, LOL:D

There were quite a few pax carrying on to Alaska, mainly Brits, who we got to know very well. They had purchased the whole package so they did the 22-days plus 7 days Alaska. Can you imagine the packing that would involve? And they were restricted to one suitcase each by the airline:eek: We've exchanged email addresses with several of them so can't wait for them to get back and get reports of that segment. I love Alaska, would have happily stayed on but DH says 3 times is enough:(

The hen party :rolleyes:. That must have been the girls who dressed alike. Pretty silly. I thought they may have been celebrating a Bachelorette Party or something.

3 times to Alaska, wow! We are heading there for our second time in August. This time we are taking our whole family, so it will be fun to see it again through their experience.

Oh my, one suitcase each. That would be very difficult.

Take care!

I loved the ship itself, and especially the crew. Not convinced the dry dock is going to solve the problems, as the hotel manager listed what was going to be done - and it didn't involve the plumbing or air conditioning:(

That really scares me :( I hope our first experience on HAL is not a bad one

Hi Start! May I add my thanks for your final review. I felt so bad for you with all of the problems with the toilet. But, I must say, you handled it beautifully, with an amazing ability to focus on the positive.

I was on Deck 4 the cruise right before yours. 4129, and my sister was in 4131. We loved the balcony, particularly after they opened the divider between the two.

I hope that the good memories keep you smiling! Welcome home.

Maureen

Hey everyone I read this thread and we are going on this ship on 9/8/12 I hope they fix or address the problems with not enough crew and plumbing. It will be or first Alaska cruise.:)

Good luck! ;) Hopefully, you will not have any plumbing and/or a/c 'issues' in your stateroom! :D Is there still time to cancel & rebook with another ship doing a similar cruise itinerary? I know that I would! SIZE]

Archived