Do you stay overnight in ports on long cruises?

fla33023

My husband and I were watching Allure of the Seas leave Port Everglades today and saw the MS Prinsedam. We don't know much about HAL so we looked it up and saw the 30+ day trips. We were amazed and in awe of those that can travel like that! Our question is do the ships stay in the same place for a few days so you can get off & on and really explore each port? TIA

My husband and I were watching Allure of the Seas leave Port Everglades today and saw the MS Prinsedam. We don't know much about HAL so we looked it up and saw the 30+ day trips. We were amazed and in awe of those that can travel like that! Our question is do the ships stay in the same place for a few days so you can get off & on and really explore each port? TIA

On our 31 day T/A and Baltic Collectors cruise next year in May, we are overnighting in Copenhagen, St. Petersburg and Hamburg (2 nights here). I think that's not uncommon but someone will know better. This will be our first cruise on Prinsendam and we can't wait... I too watched her sail, along with Allure, out of FLL today.

On fairly long cruises on both the Prinsendam and the Amsterdam we have had overnight stays in ports like Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, Cape Town and such but never longer than that. The only port where we have stayed two nights was in Cape Town on the Prinsendam.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Even on long cruises -- depending on the itinerary -- you may or may not stay overnight in a port.

I noticed that you asked if the ship stays in a port for a few days. Only the ship World will do that -- you buy your accomonadations on that ship.

Check out the World here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Even on long cruises -- depending on the itinerary -- you may or may not stay overnight in a port.

I noticed that you asked if the ship stays in a port for a few days. Only the ship World will do that -- you buy your accomonadations on that ship.

Check out the World here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136

She was in Wellington, NZ on March 21st when we were there. Not a great shot but all I could get from our tour bus.

DSC05093.jpg

As far as the Prinsendam goes - yes:):) what makes the difference in a cruise is the ship and the itinerary - the longer in port - the more time you have to explore:) If you add to that an incredible ship you are in heaven:D

We are on the same trip as Rich next year - and after last year's trip on the Prinsendam we can't wait. In all honesty if you book this ship, you can have great itineraries with less than 30 days. We had overnights with 20 days last year;)

There are a number of Prinsendam afficiionados on the board - for good reason - :D

The overnight stops are not as common as many of us would like and generally restricted to particular ports, like Venice, Sydney, or Hong Kong. Over the years we've done overnights in Quebec City, Copenhagen, St Petersburg, Venice, Villefranche, Bermuda, New Orleans, and a few that weren't planned but weather caused a change in itinerary.

The overnight stops are not as common as many of us would like and generally restricted to particular ports, like Venice, Sydney, or Hong Kong. Over the years we've done overnights in Quebec City, Copenhagen, St Petersburg, Venice, Villefranche, Bermuda, New Orleans, and a few that weren't planned but weather caused a change in itinerary.

As Rich said earlier - you can add Hamburg to your list for two nights:)

Though not on Holland America we did have overnight stays on our Med cruise. With so many sites to visit, many times not in or close to the port, it gave us a chance to take longer or more distant tours without fear of missing the ship. We overnighted in Barcelona, Livorno, and Istanbul. We had late departures, like 7 PM or later, in a number of ports. For the most part, particularly on our port intensive itinerary, the short distances between ports facilitated a more leisurely pace.

One reason we took the recent Maasdam trans-atlantic is because it had several overnight stops - they are wonderful, and hope they get included more and more because they allow a lot more exploration and relaxation, plus time to get to know a port after all the other day-trippers have left.

This would be fabulous for Valletta, Malta particularly. The overnight stop in Funchal Madeira allowed us to do an in-depth hiking tour without having to get back early.

Archived