Bringing Home Liquor

We are sailing on Freedom and last year they had some really cool liquor on board. I wanted to bring some home but we fly. On the last day I saw some people putting bottles in these special sleeves that were filled with air to protect the bottles from breaking.

Do they sell those on ship or do I need to bring them along and if so were do I get them?

We've used them a couple of times and they work great. They sell them on the ship right where you buy the liquor...just ask them. Make sure you have enough room in your checked luggage for them. Friends had to buy another piece for luggage, because there was just too much liquor and souveniers for the luggage they originally traveled with. :eek:

Happy cruising!

I didn't realize that you could put liquor in your checked bags on the plane. Does this cause any problems? We are flying home from our cruise also and love the liquor prices on the ship and were wondering how to get some home.

Hi,

We just returned from a cruise and had two bottles of rum in the special sleeves that the ship gave us with our purchase. We put them in our checked luggage wrapped with a beach towel and surrounded by clothes and they arrived home just fine.

Hope that helps.

I didn't realize that you could put liquor in your checked bags on the plane. Does this cause any problems? We are flying home from our cruise also and love the liquor prices on the ship and were wondering how to get some home.

You can only bring it back in checked bags because of luggage restrictions however ... beyond breakage, you also need to worry about weight. An extra bag or overweight fee will pretty much eat into any duty free savings.

las313,

Sheridans is one of our favorites too! I have bought it on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships because, as you said, you can't buy it in the states. My husband and I buy a case everytime we cruise and now we have friends that want us to bring it back for them too.

This year, we are cruising out of Florida in November and will have to fly home... I doubt we will be able to pack cases of liquor in our baggage before we fly. Does anyone know if there is a place where we can ship it home that is nearby to Port Everglades or the Fort Lauderdale airport???

This is actually a question that I have had for a while, so I am glad to see if I can get any information.

Thanks!

You can bring back as much as you want to...if you drive.

I have found Customs in both Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral to allow most liquor to be brought in duty-free.

Last year I brought 15 bottles in...NO cost...

And don't forget that expensive champagne is STILL only wine.

You could fill a suitcase with liquid as long as you check it....you can't carry it on...they don't want you to have access to liquids and make a bomb on the plane! That's the whole reason for the liquid restriction on planes.

So, put your toiletries into your checked bags and you can avoid those little 3 oz bottles!!!

Just to be clear, you are normally allowed to bring back one liter per adult. Rules are different for a handful of locations such us the USVI. If you bring back more, you must declare and pay duty.

That being said, we have been waived through for a couple bottles over the limit. Duty is cheap, a few bucks. Beats getting caught as a smuggler. YMMV

We are sailing out of Cape Liberty in NJ to Bermuda. Not sure if the rules are different. We will be driving.

Any idea of a cost? Thanks.

Louise

Just off Freedom (Eastern) yesterday, and Sheridan's was $25.99/bottle or two for $46.99. (of course, prices change depending on which ports the ship is competing with for your business):eek:

It has been awhile since our last cruise, but the sleeves were at the liquor store on the ship. If they don't have them I am sure they will tell you where you can pick them up.

Now off the topic ... I had to look up Sheridans and it looks fun. Do they have it in any of the bars on ship to try it out?

It has been awhile since our last cruise, but the sleeves were at the liquor store on the ship. If they don't have them I am sure they will tell you where you can pick them up.

Now off the topic ... I had to look up Sheridans and it looks fun. Do they have it in any of the bars on ship to try it out?

You can usually try it out for free on the first night of the cruise when they usually have samples out. Depending on the ship, it will be on the royal Promenade or outside the liquor store where they set up tables.

The inflatable protective wrap they have onboard some of the ships works awesome and they only charge about a dollar for them. You really can't count on them having them onboard though, sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't...

There are several products available that you can purchase and bring with you if you'd prefer not risking getting your belongings drenched with liquor and glass... if you google "bottle protectors for travel" it brings up a bunch of options.

We just purchased the "wine diapers", which are reusable, for when we cruise. We'll be using them for our trip later this month for the first time, so I can't speak personally for how well they work but they get good reviews.

Just off Freedom (Eastern) yesterday, and Sheridan's was $25.99/bottle or two for $46.99. (of course, prices change depending on which ports the ship is competing with for your business):eek:

Thanks. Hope the price is close when we go in October.

Louise

We tried Sheridans the first time on an NCL ship. Fell in love with it.

Louise

We've brought back 4-5 liters every year from the Caribbean on plane flights for 15 years and never had one break. Always just wrapped them in dirty clothes. Based on that track record I can't see paying for special wrappers now!:D

Love, love, love the Sheridan's, and always bring one or two bottles home with us from a cruise--well wrapped in our dirty laundry....;):D

It seems the pricing on the Sheridan's changes with every cruise.....we've paid as little as $15 a bottle, and as much as $25 (approx.) a bottle. No matter--we pay the going price because we LOVE it!!:D

Love, love, love the Sheridan's

I am convinced! I will try to find the "tasting session" -- that sounds fun. We now live in Florida so no worries bringing the booze home! :p

• 2 months later...

Archived