Barcelona PICKPOCKET alert May 2012

What is the worst that can happen if you listen to all of the alarmists on this thread? You won't be pickpocketed....... not a bad thing:D

No, the worst thing that could happen is that you spend your vacation worrying, always looking over your shoulder, and stressed.....and as a result, you don't have a good time, you don't see the places and things you want to see, and you look suspiciously at everyone instead of enjoying the variety of cultures and personalities.

Yes, it does happen everywhere--but it happens more often in Barcelona.

Thanks OP. You have reinforced my opinion that Barcelona should not be high on my list of potential ports.

I know crime exists everywhere. I'm an experience traveler and do take precautions. That said, my perception of the likelihood of being robbed, mugged, etc. affects my decision of where I'm willing to go.

I may not be reasonable about this, I acknowledge that it is based on perception and not fact, but there are a number of places I will not choose to visit when on vacation. Why should I pick a place like Barcelona, reputed to have a serious pickpocket problem with tourists, when I can pick another equally attractive locale with a less severe reputation?

Thanks OP. You have reinforced my opinion that Barcelona should not be high on my list of potential ports....

Such a shame because it is one of the most magnificent cities we have ever been to. We spent one day pre-cruise and four days post-cruise there. INCREDIBLE.

Barcelona is truly a beautiful port and you certainly do not have to be looking over your shoulder all of the time or be worried. You simply need to protect your belongings and make them inaccessible to people who plan on taking them from you.

Suggest not wearing any jewelry -- have your money in an inside zippered pocket (or safety pin your pocket shut) -- no handbags, especially not over the shoulder, etc. Hold your camera in your hand tightly. A recent idea I had was to put your small camera in a case that is fastened to the loops of your pants -- in front. If you are not an easy target, you'll be left alone and have nothing to worry about.

Believing that this happens everywhere is a sad way of looking at the world. There are so many lovely, safe, cities.......

This comes up every year. Of course everyone needs to be concerned. But there is always good advice available on here to help you be more aware.

Be aware of your surroundings

Be aware of who is around you

I trust no one, only the people I am with and the police.

If anyone approaches you hold out your arm , fingers up, palm facing them. This includes beggers. Let them know you are aware of them and not interested. This is what we were taught many years ago and you will notice this is what the locals do.

More importantly , Enjoy

This comes up every year. Of course everyone needs to be concerned. But there is always good advice available on here to help you be more aware.

If anyone approaches you hold out your arm , fingers up, palm facing them. This includes beggers. Let them know you are aware of them and not interested. This is what we were taught many years ago and you will notice this is what the locals do.

More importantly , Enjoy

Thanks for the tip. I will do this the next time a begger or any one come around.

More importantly , Enjoy

If someone approaches us we just get right out of the way. We avoid eye contact with them and certainly would not hold our arm out because by doing that we now have made it easier for someone else to steal something from us.

As I say, when walking around a city be street smart and that does include the first three items on your list.

Keith

Well, we never saw anyone doing that and I'm not sure why it would help. Curious as to what this would accomplish? I keep a tight grip on my belongings and would not loosen that grip into oncoming pedestrians. Just my thought.

Huh......I wandered around Barcelona for a week and never saw any of the locals doing that. Nor anywhere else in Spain, for that matter.

I find it sad that so many people are so closed off and suspicious.

Huh......I wandered around Barcelona for a week and never saw any of the locals doing that. Nor anywhere else in Spain, for that matter.

I find it sad that so many people are so closed off and suspicious.

Spain is a wonderful country. Barcelona -- specifically Las Ramblas -- does have severe pickpocketing issues. Unfortunately, this is not an opinion but a fact. The issues in Barcelona do not necessarily have anything to do with the rest of the country. We felt safe in other ports in Spain.

this is not an opinion but a fact.

Yup......but what's your point? I was commenting on the arm movements that are (supposedly) used by locals there. I felt safe everywhere I traveled in Spain, including Barcelona......the risk of pickpockets didn't make me feel unsafe at all.

Yup......but what's your point? I was commenting on the arm movements that are (supposedly) used by locals there. I felt safe everywhere I traveled in Spain, including Barcelona......the risk of pickpockets didn't make me feel unsafe at all.

I misread your post -- sorry. My point in even posting on this thread is that there is a real problem with pickpocketing in Barcelona. We have been there twice and were not victimized nor did we feel unsafe. However, this does not negate the fact that the problem exists. Even residents of Barcelona post warnings to visitors. If everyone took the right precautions, the problem could lessen. As long as there are people with purses hanging on their shounder, men with wallets in their back pockets, etc. there is no reason for the pickpockets to stop what they are doing....... it is quite profitable for them.

I misread your post -- sorry. My point in even posting on this thread is that there is a real problem with pickpocketing in Barcelona. We have been there twice and were not victimized nor did we feel unsafe. However, this does not negate the fact that the problem exists. Even residents of Barcelona post warnings to visitors. If everyone took the right precautions, the problem could lessen. As long as there are people with purses hanging on their shounder, men with wallets in their back pockets, etc. there is no reason for the pickpockets to stop what they are doing....... it is quite profitable for them.

While I don't disagree with you it seems to me that a far better solution would be for the authorities to actively detain and prosecute the pickpockets.

This problem happens in many cities in the world. You need to pay attention to your surroundings and your personal items YOU are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy!) I am amazed at how careless people are with their personal items. Don't they have any common sense? If you plan ahead of time and watch your back you will be fine. We always assume ANYONE can be a pickpocket. Even someone who is dressed like a business person with a briefcase, or a little old lady that looks like someone grandmother, or someone who looks like a tourist like you, It is not always the sterotype person you think would be a pickpocket!!! Be proactive!!!!!

While I don't disagree with you it seems to me that a far better solution would be for the authorities to actively detain and prosecute the pickpockets.

Agreed! I work in law enforcement. When I saw the pickpocketing and the street scams ocurring on the La Rambla, I knew exactly what needed to be done. All it would take is a few plain clothes officers targeting the thieves. Make an example out of a few, spread the word, enhance the penalties targeting tourists, and after long, Barcelona will no longer be known as the world leader in pickpockets.

Agreed! I work in law enforcement. When I saw the pickpocketing and the street scams ocurring on the La Rambla, I knew exactly what needed to be done. All it would take is a few plain clothes officers targeting the thieves. Make an example out of a few, spread the word, enhance the penalties targeting tourists, and after long, Barcelona will no longer be known as the world leader in pickpockets.

I have thought the same thing. So why on earth don't they just do it?! I cannot imagine why people in Barcelona would tolerate having this image of themselves out there. Just step up enforcement and deal with the problem.

I have thought the same thing. So why on earth don't they just do it?! I cannot imagine why people in Barcelona would tolerate having this image of themselves out there. Just step up enforcement and deal with the problem.

Probably because just as in our own very country people who are responsible for these decisions do not always make the smartest of decisions.

The good news is that the police have stepped up enforcement in Barcelona. It is not where it needs to be but better than even a couple of years ago.

Keith

Since United States law enforcement have been unable to deal with major problems, why would anyone expect other countries to? It is what it is and with precautions you can have a wonderful time in Barcelona.

Specific problems can and are handled well all over the globe, the US included.

I expect that places wishing to attract tourist dollars would expend some effort to eliminate negatives like excessive pickpocketing. When no effort is made to curb the worst excesses I can only conclude that my visit is not particularly wanted.

Specific problems can and are handled well all over the globe, the US included.

I expect that places wishing to attract tourist dollars would expend some effort to eliminate negatives like excessive pickpocketing. When no effort is made to curb the worst excesses I can only conclude that my visit is not particularly wanted.

Guess we have to agree to disagree on this subject. Perhaps things are different in Canada. The U.S. is still dealing with gangs, drugs....... the list could on and on. After spending most of my life in Los Angeles, we left because nothing could control the problems they have. In fact, it is worse.

Barcelona does not have to do anything to get tourists. They visit by the millions. Some get pickpocketed -- some don't. It doesn't matter there any more than it does in Rome where the theft (not only pickpocketing -- people ride bikes at a high rate of speed and pull handbags off of the arms of women -- many times the woman goes down from the force). We were in Rome 25 years ago...... it is the same today (we were there less than a month ago). We were in Barcelona for the second time in December, 2011..... nothing changed there either. IMO, there is no incentive for these cities to change anything (it would ot be fair to exclude Rio -- the city where necklaces are ripped off of your neck).

Having blasted three cities I must say that we have obviously returned to Barcelona and would do so again. We would not return to Rome or Rio (we were at the airport in Rome -- not the city last month). However, knowing what I know and having seen what I have seen, if we had not already been there, we would visit both Rome and Rio -- but only after removing all jewelry, and having any personal belongings hidden on my person.

guess we have to agree to disagree on this subject. Perhaps things are different in canada. The u.s. Is still dealing with gangs, drugs....... The list could on and on. After spending most of my life in los angeles, we left because nothing could control the problems they have. In fact, it is worse.

Barcelona does not have to do anything to get tourists. They visit by the millions. Some get pickpocketed -- some don't. It doesn't matter there any more than it does in rome where the theft (not only pickpocketing -- people ride bikes at a high rate of speed and pull handbags off of the arms of women -- many times the woman goes down from the force). We were in rome 25 years ago...... It is the same today (we were there less than a month ago). We were in barcelona for the second time in december, 2011..... Nothing changed there either. Imo, there is no incentive for these cities to change anything (it would ot be fair to exclude rio -- the city where necklaces are ripped off of your neck).

Having blasted three cities i must say that we have obviously returned to barcelona and would do so again. We would not return to rome or rio (we were at the airport in rome -- not the city last month). However, knowing what i know and having seen what i have seen, if we had not already been there, we would visit both rome and rio -- but only after removing all jewelry, and having any personal belongings hidden on my person.

wow what a strong statement!

Since United States law enforcement have been unable to deal with major problems, why would anyone expect other countries to? It is what it is and with precautions you can have a wonderful time in Barcelona.

I think you are missing the point here. Pickpocketing is a specific problem and Barcelona is rightfully known as one of the worst for this problem. This is a travel website and people traveling there need to be aware of it. All the beautiful attractions aside, travelers still need to know what specific problems plague the specific place they are visiting. No one is saying don't go to Barcelona. No one is saying the place isn't beautiful. We are just highlighting an issue that can, and very well does, cause a major inconvenience to many tourists there.

Archived