Swollen legs/ankles/feet - THIS WORKED!

Ok, I've been giving this a lot of thought.... I'm active, otherwise healthy and have never had a problem with feet/ankles swelling. Until... On our first 2 cruises it was not a problem. However, on our last two, it was a very big problem; my feet swelled so badly, I considered going to the ships doc. I brought compression socks and rx diuretics on our last cruise - used both, but with minimal relief. Then I started thinking that I spent a lot of $$ on bottled water the first two cruises because I assumed the ships water would be yucky to drink. Then I did a little research, found out the water was fine (I drink a lot of water every day), and drank it on my 3rd & 4th cruises - the same ones in which I had the swelling. It may be total coincidence, but I cruise again in a little over a month, and plan to put this costly notion to the test.

The brush was pretty cheap it was the oil that was so expensive. Not only that the bottle of oil was so big I only used a little. All I know is it worked great.

I started this thread. I no longer use the oil. I stick to the brushing, and it's had great results. I bought another brush at Bed Bath and Beyond for $10, and it works just as well as the more expensive one. I brush regularly. I'm so glad I discovered this.

I too get swollen ankles on the flight (always long haul) and cruise so I though I´d start brushing now for our flight/cruise in March

I need a bit of clarification please,

1. I assume you brushed upwards but in long strokes or circular brushing working your way up (how far...mid calf, knees)

2. How long for each leg, 2 or 3 minutes or longer?

3, tops of feet, soles or both?

4 How many times a day, is it better to do this first thing in the morning, last thing at night

Thanks

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

Glad I found this thread. Both me and hubby suffered from swollen ankles on our cruises and we don't fly but drive to Southampton. Seems to start a couple of days in so wonder if associated with food or drink on ship (accumulative effect). I have had to buy a special pair of mules with a bit of sparkle to wear on formal nights as my lovely shoes won't fit me by then. One good thing though, had a great laugh at my husbands expense when he had to wear his slip on white canvas shoes with his tux as only thing that would fit! And very peculiar they looked too. Will be trying the brush technique on our next cruise. Thanks for all the info.

Sandy,

I brush upwards in long strokes starting with the tops of my feet and work all the way up to my head. Yes, I do my butt, back, arms, stomach. Use circular motions on the stomach. You want to do the whole body because you want to encourage circulation. At home I just do it after showering. When traveling, I do it in the am, after showering, before bed. It should take about 3-4 minutes to do your whole body. When on a cruise, I may just do the legs from time to time in between the full vrushings

On a recent cruise, I went to the Spa for a Pedicure and they recommended Elemis Spa At Home Instant Refreshing Gel. It's a cooling gel you just rub on the swollen area/s. It helped somewhat but not completely.

I have a terrible time with swollen legs especially one on the side where I had a hip replacement. I wear support sox whenever I wear long pants. However we mostly cruise to warm climates so that isn't always practical. I guess I'll try the brush next.

I was so relieved to learn I was not the only one to suffer with swollen feet and legs on cruises where my ankles seem to disappear. I am on my feet all day at work, so it isn't like I am unused to being mobile. I dont drink alcohol. On cruises my drinks consist of mainly water, and the occasional glass of watered down lemonade because it is simply too too sweet. That had me wondering...do the cruise lines put flouride or something in the water? Though my sister never has this issue. I cant recall having it on the first two cruises, only the last two however. Next cruise, whenever that may be, I will definitely remember the suggestions learned here. Thanks.

Again, I highly recommend a $8 tube of arnica gel. I very badly jammed my toe into the end of a pedicure tub 4 days ago. I thought I might have broken my toe. It turned bright purple (looked like I had a mini plum stuck on the end of my toe!).

I massaged arnica gel on it several times a day for two days, and it's about 75% gone, plus the swelling is completely gone. I have to note, also, that I am very fair skinned, bruise easily, and bruises used to take FOREVER to fade.

As I posted above it works really well for swollen ankles and vasculitis.

This is the brand I've used for several years:

http://www.amazon.com/Roberts-Research-Labs-Arnica-Gel/dp/B0014B2QTM/ref=sr_1_10?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1390627658&sr=1-10&keywords=arnica+gel

Every time I are the scrambled eggs my ankles swelled severely. Quit eating eggs and no more swelling.

Glad that works for you:)....but for those of us who don't eat scrambled

eggs and the ankles still swell?.....that is not a fixer for us......

I'm a health care worker and have worked with many patients with problems with swelling in their legs. There are many reasons for it.

The swelling in the legs on the flights is called 'dependent edema'. Air pressure causes weird things to happen in your body, like retaining fluid. It happens to even the healthiest of people.

Sometimes, due to the swelling in the legs, the legs will get rashy. Some even complain that they itch, too.

OP, I am thrilled that you have a product that works for you. I may give it a try...thanks for the tip!

pcur, I always have arnica cream on hand, I never thought to try it on my ankles and feet. I will try it in March and try to remember to post back with results.

Cheers, h.

We also sail in March and have long flights from Uk to Sth america, so I´ve started with the brushing and arnica now, also bought some new flight socks. The ones that look more like pop socks and semi sheer as opposed to thick woolly ones whichmade my legs itch and still gave me swollen ankles.

Sandy in Spain

• 2 weeks later...
I'm 35, work out 13 hours a week, eat healthy, am a size 0/2, and every cruise I a cursed with ballooning calves, ankles, and feet. I drink copious amounts of water on board (bottled and ship, doesn't seem to matter), eat low sodium, work out on the ship, etc...I still swell. I purchased the black cherry capsules, very hopeful they would work. An early trial precruise did not show promising results, but I still took them on the cruise. I also tried visiting the sauna on the cruise, as I saw positive results prior to the cruise.

Ugh...by day 4 of my last cruise, my legs were huge compared to normal, and I was getting cankles. Desperate, I went to the spa, wondering if the iontheramie (sp?) treatment would help. They recommended a different treatment, but I was unwilling to pay $250 for something that may not work. So, they sold me the DIY kit...a body brush and cellutox oil. They said it was poor circulation in my legs. They also told me this wouldn't happen if I took better care of myself, which really ticked me off, because I'm anal about my exercise, food, etc. Anyhow, I saw results almost immediately, and had NO swelling when I left the ship. I will definitely be using this for future travels!

Do you use the brush wet or dry? Also do you use the oil after shower or with the brush? Thank so very much!

Do you use the brush wet or dry? Also do you use the oil after shower or with the brush? Thank so very much!

You should brush dry before your shower. You can google dry-brushing and find lots of article and videos with information about how to do it. You use a very stiff brush.

I dry-brush all the time at home but never thought about taking my brush on the cruise. I'm glad I found this post! I will take my brush next time and hopefully avoide some water-retention pounds!

You should brush dry before your shower. You can google dry-brushing and find lots of article and videos with information about how to do it. You use a very stiff brush.

I dry-brush all the time at home but never thought about taking my brush on the cruise. I'm glad I found this post! I will take my brush next time and hopefully avoide some water-retention pounds!

Thanks Kim! I will do a google as I have never heard of dry body brushing! I have the brush and the oil now all I have to do is learn how to do it! lol

I get swollen ankles despite wearing flight socks on the 9 1/2 hour flight from the UK.

The best way to cure mine is to lie flat on the bed on my back with my feet resting on a clean towel against the wall, then massage the area with aloe vera gel.

You do look a bit silly (!) but honestly, it works...

Henryhorn, not half as ridiculous as me sat on the toilet with my feet soaking in the bidet in Istanbul:D

I resorted soaking the hand towels in cold water and wrapping them around my ankles, lying on the bed with my legs propped on the wall.

On cruises I fill a couple of bags with ice and lie upside down on a lounger for a couple of hours.

The remedies on this thread haven't worked as well as this tried and true method. I also drink as much water as reasonable to try and offset the increased salt intake.

Cheers, h.

Henryhorn, not half as ridiculous as me sat on the toilet with my feet soaking in the bidet in Istanbul:D

I resorted soaking the hand towels in cold water and wrapping them around my ankles, lying on the bed with my legs propped on the wall.

On cruises I fill a couple of bags with ice and lie upside down on a lounger for a couple of hours.

The remedies on this thread haven't worked as well as this tried and true method. I also drink as much water as reasonable to try and offset the increased salt intake.

Cheers, h.

You and I are "ice sisters"! :D

It takes the swelling down, but the red rash takes days to go away. That's why I take a bottle of make-up that's several shades lighter than my skin. It works great on board the ship to hid the red for a few days.

Edited by pcur