Swollen legs/ankles/feet - THIS WORKED!

• 3 weeks later...

OMG, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!

After 20 years it's solved!

I am on the Radiance, and I've tried this after 3 days on my feet. The brush and Arnica gel, both massaging upward, and my red rash disappears, and my ankles look normal! Soooooo happy!

OMG, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!

I am on the Radiance, and I've tried this after 3 days on my feet. The brush and Arnica gel, both massaging upward, and my red rash disappears, and my ankles look normal! Soooooo happy!

OMG that's awesome! I leave for my cruise a week from today and I suffer from swollen feet and it's so painful :( I really want to try this! Where did you but the gel & brush from!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OMG that's awesome! I leave for my cruise a week from today and I suffer from swollen feet and it's so painful :( I really want to try this! Where did you but the gel & brush from!!?

I'd love to know too because my SIL suffers from swollen feet and ankles a lot depending on what she eats and how long she spends walking at any given time. I rarely have this problem at all but would love to pass this info on to my SIL as she's plagued by it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, Just back after 3 week cruise in South America, plus 2 long haul return flights from Spain via UK to Sth america. Before we went I started brushing and using aarnica gel, for the flights I wore thin nylon pressure sox which looked like pop sox. then slept for the first night with my feet propped up on the suitcase on the bed.

It sort of worked. I did have some swelling, but it only lasted about 2 or 3 days. I can tell as my cruise dance shoes I buy a size larger to accomodate the swelling, but the ankle straps soon meeded to be adjusted smaller. Briliant

Sandy in Spain

Hi everyone, Just back after 3 week cruise in South America, plus 2 long haul return flights from Spain via UK to Sth america. Before we went I started brushing and using aarnica gel, for the flights I wore thin nylon pressure sox which looked like pop sox. then slept for the first night with my feet propped up on the suitcase on the bed.

It sort of worked. I did have some swelling, but it only lasted about 2 or 3 days. I can tell as my cruise dance shoes I buy a size larger to accomodate the swelling, but the ankle straps soon meeded to be adjusted smaller. Briliant

Sandy in Spain

Hi Sandy, you slept with your feet propped on top of a suitcase? How

were you able to sleep? My feel always swell on cruises. I have just

accepted it because I can't find a solution but I cannot imagine being

able to sleep that way....so you could not turn on your side at all?

You were able to sleep all night on your back without moving?:eek:

After trying to sleep on the plane, using the hand luggage to prop my feet up on the bed was a doddle. I used the spare pillows as cushioning.

Sandy in Spain

Lois, you must be a side sleeper like me.:) I CANNOT sleep on my back.

As far as the swelling goes, I've taken umpteen cruises....well maybe not umpteen but quite a few,and never had swollen feet/ankles. Then, all of a sudden it hit me a two years ago. First year it was just a little in my left leg which really didn't surprise me since I've always had some there since my surgery.

In Oct. it was really bad. I read the whole thread and I did what people said to do and what they said not to do, except for the brushing. I wore compression socks, I didn't drink the water in the cabin. They would be somewhat better in the morning but then swell right up. When I could take a rest, I would put my feet up which really didn't help much. Some think it has to do with the climate but one cruise was a warm climate, the other Canada/New England and it happened on both.

Did not eat any differently than I ever have on a cruise and rarely drink alcohol. Thought maybe the food might be different, maybe saltier on one line than another, but I've cruised both lines before with no issues.

My doctor had no idea what to suggest other than a diuretic during the cruise. I know some say that is a no, no but I feel if she suggested it, it was ok. When I get home, I'm completely back to normal within a day or so.

Lois, OT but hoping to book the Summit. It's been TOO long since we've been on Celebrity.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I got back on 3/30 from a 7 day cruise on NCL Breakaway. That was my 2nd cruise, out of NYC,it was so cold when departing. Went down to Florida, over to Nassau then back to NYC. I took some diuretics with me, and took one before I left for NYC,...I live in Kansas. I did have some swelling from plane, but figured it would go away. It wasnt too bad. We walked about 7-10 miles the next day through out NYC, before we boarded next day to head towards Florida. I just kept swelling all over. It was soo uncomfortable. I also was constipated for 6 days so I felt so miserable. That was my 2nd cruise,..1st being 13 yrs ago only for 3 days leaving out of California and I did not have an issue at all then. I really do not like cruises as it seems too claustrophobic to me, and everything cost so much to do on board the ship. I purchased a spa membership for $200 for the week and went 4x...but it really did not help at all. I had only taken one diutretic on board the ship and was drinking water also, watching my food intake etc...I felt like a bloated up balloon all over but it was the worst in my legs from the knew down and I had cankles for sure. It all went away within 2 days of returning home. Went to doc they didnt say anything, but did no tests either. I have bradycardia (low heart rate) but doc said that shouldnt be it. I dont know, but that wasnt fun!

As far as the swelling goes, I've taken umpteen cruises....well maybe not umpteen but quite a few,and never had swollen feet/ankles. Then, all of a sudden it hit me a two years ago. First year it was just a little in my left leg which really didn't surprise me since I've always had some there since my surgery.

In Oct. it was really bad. I read the whole thread and I did what people said to do and what they said not to do, except for the brushing. I wore compression socks, I didn't drink the water in the cabin. They would be somewhat better in the morning but then swell right up. When I could take a rest, I would put my feet up which really didn't help much. Some think it has to do with the climate but one cruise was a warm climate, the other Canada/New England and it happened on both.

Did not eat any differently than I ever have on a cruise and rarely drink alcohol. Thought maybe the food might be different, maybe saltier on one line than another, but I've cruised both lines before with no issues.

My doctor had no idea what to suggest other than a diuretic during the cruise. I know some say that is a no, no but I feel if she suggested it, it was ok. When I get home, I'm completely back to normal within a day or so.

Lois, OT but hoping to book the Summit. It's been TOO long since we've been on Celebrity.

Hello All,

I got back on 3/30 from a 7 day cruise on NCL Breakaway. That was my 2nd cruise, out of NYC,it was so cold when departing. Went down to Florida, over to Nassau then back to NYC. I took some diuretics with me, and took one before I left for NYC,...I live in Kansas. I did have some swelling from plane, but figured it would go away. It wasnt too bad. We walked about 7-10 miles the next day through out NYC, before we boarded next day to head towards Florida. I just kept swelling all over. It was soo uncomfortable. I also was constipated for 6 days so I felt so miserable. That was my 2nd cruise,..1st being 13 yrs ago only for 3 days leaving out of California and I did not have an issue at all then. I really do not like cruises as it seems too claustrophobic to me, and everything cost so much to do on board the ship. I purchased a spa membership for $200 for the week and went 4x...but it really did not help at all. I had only taken one diutretic on board the ship and was drinking water also, watching my food intake etc...I felt like a bloated up balloon all over but it was the worst in my legs from the knew down and I had cankles for sure. It all went away within 2 days of returning home. Went to doc they didnt say anything, but did no tests either. I have bradycardia (low heart rate) but doc said that shouldnt be it. I dont know, but that wasnt fun!

Maybe next time you can try the brush and oil it worked for me and many others on this thread.

I only wished I had heard of this but then I would not have anticipated the swelling, so I guess no way to prepare or know. I will know now in the future though. My husband and I went to Jamaica in 2000 at all inclusive which I absolutely loved...a bazillion times more than a cruise I think. Much more time on land to do things instead of rush rush at any ports....so I might give a cruise another shot someday, but not sure at this point.

I only wished I had heard of this but then I would not have anticipated the swelling, so I guess no way to prepare or know. I will know now in the future though. My husband and I went to Jamaica in 2000 at all inclusive which I absolutely loved...a bazillion times more than a cruise I think. Much more time on land to do things instead of rush rush at any ports....so I might give a cruise another shot someday, but not sure at this point.

I totally get that rush rush stuff many times I'm exhausted after a cruise. I want to try a all inclusive I'm just afraid of being board. I have ADD when on vacation I just can't sit still I think that is why I like cruising yet as I get older I'm starting to feel the pain of that rush rush stuff.

Yvonne

I didn't realize I forgot to answer you:o......yes, I usually turn on my

side (at least to fall asleep;)). And my feet swell and go back to normal

after a couple of days of being back home as well.

As for SUMMIT......I am trying to see if I can do a 2 week New England/

Canada on her next year.......the itinerary is fantastic:)

Hi,:) you love the AI a bizillion times more than a cruise? I went to an

AI way back in the 90s.......I started cruising in 2003 and for me? I

love cruising that same bizillion times more than the AI;).......I have

been on over 40 cruises in the past 11 years....to me, there is no

comparison....so much easier for me on a cruise.

Different strokes for different folks:D

• 3 weeks later...
OMG, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!

I am back from our long trek across the Pacific, and I put this brush and arnica gel treatment to the test! I was cruising for 50 days total, on 3 flights, and spent 2 days traveling in a car in Australia. Any of those would have blown my ankles up like balloons, not to mention extra happy hours!!

My brush is pretty worn down, and I have to get a new one, but it really, really worked. The more you use it, the less swelling you have the next time your ankles are stressed by whatever causes them to swell. My husband even used it a few times in really hot and humid weather after walking.

What worked best for me was rubbing the arnica on first, massaging it in with upward strokes. Then I very briskly worked the brush with short upward strokes. I mean I went at those ankles, top of my feet, and lower legs with a vengeance. Pretty amazing results.

By the time I took my 2 hour flight at the end of the trip yesterday, I had practically no swelling at all, and I did not wear my compression socks, either.

I am a constant walker, so my legs and ankles are in good shape normally, but I always had the swelling a bright red rash. I had one episode of rash that went away very quickly in a few days.

This brush and my arnica gel are now a permanent part of my life!

I like SBC arnica gel. Best prices from http://www.qvcuk.com. They also do cooling gels such as aloe Vera. They soak in so well.

I am convinced, that for me, lower extremity edema is caused by drinking the ship's water. We just got back Saturday from a 30 day cruise on Radiance and I drank bottled water only, with the exception of drinking the ship's water one day. That day I found my feet started swelling by evening, but after a day of bottled again, swelling disappeared and I had no problems the rest of the cruise.

Sherri:)

I am back from our long trek across the Pacific, and I put this brush and arnica gel treatment to the test! I was cruising for 50 days total, on 3 flights, and spent 2 days traveling in a car in Australia. Any of those would have blown my ankles up like balloons, not to mention extra happy hours!!

My brush is pretty worn down, and I have to get a new one, but it really, really worked. The more you use it, the less swelling you have the next time your ankles are stressed by whatever causes them to swell. My husband even used it a few times in really hot and humid weather after walking.

What worked best for me was rubbing the arnica on first, massaging it in with upward strokes. Then I very briskly worked the brush with short upward strokes. I mean I went at those ankles, top of my feet, and lower legs with a vengeance. Pretty amazing results.

By the time I took my 2 hour flight at the end of the trip yesterday, I had practically no swelling at all, and I did not wear my compression socks, either.

I am a constant walker, so my legs and ankles are in good shape normally, but I always had the swelling a bright red rash. I had one episode of rash that went away very quickly in a few days.

This brush and my arnica gel are now a permanent part of my life!

Great to hear you had such good results I too had amazing results after using the brush and gel. I also drank only bottled water and focused on a low sodium diet which meant not eating any sauces in the main dining room.

• 3 weeks later...

I have GOT to try the brush thing. I'm tired of having Puffer fish for feet when I'm on a cruise.:mad: I was strongly tempted to cut my skin with razor blades to ease the tightness and swelling on our last trip in May 2014.

I had already figured out it was some kind of circulation problem. We only drink bottled water on board. Using a brush to simulate circulation makes sense. My feet will unswell if I elevate then while I'm sleeping.

Although I'm not cruising until next April, I have already started the dry brushing routine (just over the past few days) as I suffer from fluid retention at the best of times.

I've noticed it has made such a difference already. My ankles and feet have reduced in size, but also I've noticed around my chin/neck and upper torso, as I brush the lymph away from my face and upper body towards the lymph nodes under my arms. I just use a natural bristle shower brush from the supermarket. That brush is prickly on delicate skin, but at the same time energising and rejuvenating. Hopefully I can keep up with the time and motivation required to continue doing this as part of my regular routine.

(I have to say that at the moment I am tending to feel fairly bleah and sluggish - but i think perhaps this is because all that lymph that has just been pooling is being swept out. )

I have GOT to try the brush thing. I'm tired of having Puffer fish for feet when I'm on a cruise.:mad: I was strongly tempted to cut my skin with razor blades to ease the tightness and swelling on our last trip in May 2014.

I had already figured out it was some kind of circulation problem. We only drink bottled water on board. Using a brush to simulate circulation makes sense. My feet will unswell if I elevate then while I'm sleeping.

WOW:confused:...I am so sorry you had such horrible issues:(....my feet

swell too but have never wante to cut my skin with razor blades:eek:

that sounds more painful than the swelling:eek:.....and much more

dangerous too.

• 1 month later...

I am so glad to have found this thread. I've suffered with this problem for my last few cruises and have become so frustrated because I am a shoe aholic and can't wear any of my cute shoes while cruising. :( I am definitely going to buy a brush and Arnica Gel. I'm hoping for positive results like many of you. I'll come back to post after my next cruise. Thanks for the tips.

yj2cute I know exactly what you mean it was very frustrating for me too not to be able to wear cute shoes. I wanted to tell you that what I used as recommened when I first found this thread was Elemis cellutox active body oil. I found it at Macy's in a 3.4oz bottle it was pretty expensive and you use very little. You probably could check out elemis.com too. I got the body brush recommened at Bed Bath and Beyond that was cheap less than $5. You will be so happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk