Athens or the Greek Isles?

NalCruiser

NalCruiser - have you thought of getting a guidebook on the Med, such as Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports and seeing what interests you most, so you can choose the ports/areas you are most interested in?

You certainly can post a hundred questions asking what others liked, but in the end, it's your trip. With some information, you can narrow it down to what's most important or interesting to you.

Athens is the classical ruins: the Acropolis, the Plaka, the Ancient Agora, etc. The Islands are beaches, the white buildings that make you think of Greece, tiny Tavernas,etc. Figure out what you want but a lot of trips will do Athens and usually Mykonos and Santorini.

OP, asking a ton of questions here on CC when you haven't done any research on the Med is going to eventually drive you nuts.

There's going to be so many replies and as the saying goes, ask ten different people and you're going to get ten different answers.

Perhaps try to decide what you want to see and where you want to go. Check some itineraries and do some research on cruiselines and then come back with questions.

I agree, research the itineraries that look good to you and then come back and ask opinions on say....three of them...... to ask such a broad question is asking for a lot of broad answers. On another note: there are some itineraries that do Athens and 1 or 2 islands....... perhaps you should stick with those.

There are a few cruise that do extensive Greek stops including both Islandss and Athens. If Greece is your focus than perhaps a land tour is more in order as cruise in general are very brief and can be unsatisfying in their haste.

Athens you find on many Med tours because of its iconic place in western history.

If you were picking an itinerary that stopped at Greek ports, would you pick Athens or the greek isles? I notice many cruises do one or the other but not both.

Would appreciate thoughts on this!

You also see Athens on many itineraries because it offers facilities necessary for the start or end of a cruise.

You can find itineraries that offer both.

Also not all of the Greek ports are equal with some being nicer than others.

Keith

If you were picking an itinerary that stopped at Greek ports, would you pick Athens or the greek isles? I notice many cruises do one or the other but not both.

Would appreciate thoughts on this!

I get the feeling that you would like to do both. Look into the Celebrity itineraries, they have as already mentioned Athens, Santorini (a must see) and Mykonos.

Our Grand Princess Med cruise did Italy & Greece.

Leaving from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Monte Carlo, Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi (Turkey), Mykonos, Athens, Katakalon (Olympia), Corfu and ending in Venice.

It was a nice mix of both countries. I'd check out Princess, I'm sure they have an itinerary to suit you.

Our Grand Princess Med cruise did Italy & Greece.

Leaving from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Monte Carlo, Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi (Turkey), Mykonos, Athens, Katakalon (Olympia), Corfu and ending in Venice.

It was a nice mix of both countries. I'd check out Princess, I'm sure they have an itinerary to suit you.

We wil be on a similar itinerary on the Crown Princess in October.

Archived