Pre-existing condition question

karen s

My head hurts from reading everything regarding pre-existing conditions waivers and I'm still confused.

I put a deposit on a cruise on 17 May and final payment isn't due until 30 July 2013. My question is when do you need to purchase trip insurance in order for the pre-existing conditions to be covered - is it at time of initial deposit or at final payment?

Whenever the policy you intend to buy says you need to purchase the insurance. Most policies that offer a pre-ex waiver require policy purchase within 15 days. Others (notably CSA and HTH) allow you purchase the policy any time before final payment. This is clearly disclosed in the policy details. However, please note that not all plans offer a pre-ex waiver, though most of the major 3rd-party providers do.

My head hurts from reading everything regarding pre-existing conditions waivers and I'm still confused.

I put a deposit on a cruise on 17 May and final payment isn't due until 30 July 2013. My question is when do you need to purchase trip insurance in order for the pre-existing conditions to be covered - is it at time of initial deposit or at final payment?

Have you chosen a plan yet?

If you have chosen a plan, the requirements for getting the pre-ex waiver will be spelled out in the plan wording. Still confused? Call the insurer.

If you haven't chosen a plan yet, if you need pre-existing medical condition coverage you have many choices -- basically all of the major third-party insurers can be purchased by the end of the month and give you the pre-ex coverage.

Yes, you can wait until the final payment date and still get pre-ex coverage from a couple of insurers but these plans may otherwise be totally inappropriate for your needs.

So, if you haven't already made your choice, as of today your focus should be on picking the best plan for your needs based on the total of the plan benefits and coverages (ignoring the pre-ex situation). Then if the best choice for you is CSA or HTH you can wait until the final payment date. If not, you need to act sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always used Travel Guard and found that it paid within 15 days of initial payment, like deposit, then pre-existing is waived.

This time, I booked my cruise thru Costco and noticed that they know offer Travel Guard. On Costco website it states the below.

A pre-existing condition exclusion waiver is included with your Travel Guard Trip Protection Plan, when the Plan is purchased before, or within 24 hours of, the date your Costco Travel vacation or cruise is paid in full.

I have always used Travel Guard and found that it paid within 15 days of initial payment, like deposit, then pre-existing is waived.

This time, I booked my cruise thru Costco and noticed that they know offer Travel Guard. On Costco website it states the below.

A pre-existing condition exclusion waiver is included with your Travel Guard Trip Protection Plan, when the Plan is purchased before, or within 24 hours of, the date your Costco Travel vacation or cruise is paid in full.

It's quite common for the insurers to develop special plans for large agencies or a consortium of agencies that have features not normally found in their regular plans (although in some states TG has a plan with this feature). Travelex also has a plan that offers pre-existing medical condition coverage up until final payment but like the Costco plan you have to have booked your travel through that agency.

there are a COUPLE..(I KNOW CSA is one, as i have used it..) that allow you to buy it within 24 hours...(and there might be one that is 7 or 14 days..) of FINAL payment..

go to the websites and read.....the info will be right there....you can use insuremytrip to compare...and choose accordingly.

if one does NOT show up, then go to the individual insurers' sites...for some reason, one of the ones i often select doesn't always show up..

• 4 weeks later...

May I jump in here with a followup question. How does first payment generally work when you put a payment down on an unspecified future cruise? Do they really enforce that deposit as the "first payment" or use the date a specific cruise was booked? Does that vary by insurer?

Thanks

Roy

May I jump in here with a followup question. How does first payment generally work when you put a payment down on an unspecified future cruise? Do they really enforce that deposit as the "first payment" or use the date a specific cruise was booked? Does that vary by insurer?

Thanks

Roy

The insurers I have contacted all consider the first payment to be the date your "future cruise deposit" is transferred to a booking for a specific ship/sail date. But things change so be sure to verify this with any insurer you're considering.

Thanks

Roy

Since there's no way to know the amounts involved, the dates involved, the age(s) of the travelers at the time of the cruise, or the amount you will want to insure, you cannot even complete the initial application to get a quote for the insurance.

It would have to be as of the date you book the trip.

The insurers I have contacted all consider the first payment to be the date your "future cruise deposit" is transferred to a booking for a specific ship/sail date. But things change so be sure to verify this with any insurer you're considering.

This has been our experience as well and as mentioned always important to verify this with the insurance provider.

Keith

My insurer is TravelEx.

The date you move the open booking (future cruise) to an actual booking is the contractual "date of deposit"

I always purchase my travel insurance as soon as possible because DH has pre-existing conditions. In May I booked a cruise for April 2014. That's a long way off.

I called TravelEx and they told me that I can always add to the policy so I could purchase the insurance for the minimum coverage amount now and add to it as we get closer to final payment.

Since it's a long time before I'll have any prices on flights and a long time to be out of pocket for the cost of insurance on an expensive trip (Asia), I thought this information was fabulous!

I did know about adding, as I generally add to my coverage to take care of private excursions on my trips, but had no idea that I could have use of my money all those months.

• 1 month later...

Because we often book way in advance, we use a TA that provides Travel Guard insurance. The policy amount depends on trip cost only, not age. It allows for the pre-existing condition waiver as long as payment is made within 24 hours of final payment for the cruise.

THE SITUATION: I made final cruise payment to the TA on the day it was due. I hung up and called to buy the policy from Travel Guard. I gave Travel Guard my booking number and my credit card number. I kept checking my credit card statement to make sure both payments had been made to the cruiseline and to Trave lGuard.

Well, after several days I noticed that the Travel Guard payment was still not on my credit card statement, so I called Trave lGuard. They said I hadn't paid. I politely argued the point and gave the name of the rep I had talked with. Apparently there was one digit on my credit card that was incorrect, so the payment could not be processed. I don't know if I gave the number incorrectly or if it was recorded incorrectly.

Travel Guard assured me that since there was a glitch in processing the payment but that I had in fact tried to purchase it as required, they would charge the credit card again, and the pre-existing waiver would be included. So, I watched my credit card billing and the charge appeared.

I was very upset that Travel Guard didn't get in touch with me when they were unable to process my request at the time of the original phone call. However, I have been assured by phone that all is fine, and that pre-existing conditions are covered.

Because of the insurance discussions I've read here, do I need to be concerned that, God forbid, this could become an issue (a loophole) if we should happen to need the pre-existing condition waiver for whatever reason, because the date of final payment to the TA and the purchase date of the policy will not match. I believe Travel Guard to be a reputable company, but this is a definite concern now. Do I need to call Travel Guard to try to get this in writing or can I trust that what was told to me over the phone will suffice?

I've certainly learned from this experience to always check to make sure your insurance payment has in fact been paid. Had I not done so, we could have ended up with no insurance at all!

Any comments from the experts here? Thank you.

I almost always purchase from Travelguard, and I know of no policy that covers per-existing conditions unless the policy is purchased within a set number of days from the initial trip deposit date. But, I have no idea what state you live in, or what coverage you purchased.

I am also confused as you state, "we use a TA that provides Travelguard ins", which makes it sound as if they not only pay for it for you, but set up the policy. Obviously not, as you called and paid directly.

You don't need to call to see what's covered, and you can't rely on this type of information anyway. Print out a copy of your policy and read it. That's the only accurate way to find out.

6rugrats - I'm sorry you didn't understand my situation as I presented it in my Post #15 above. Perhaps the quote below ({Post #7) will provide answers to your comments:

It's quite common for the insurers to develop special plans for large agencies or a consortium of agencies that have features not normally found in their regular plans (although in some states TG has a plan with this feature). Travelex also has a plan that offers pre-existing medical condition coverage up until final payment but like the Costco plan you have to have booked your travel through that agency.

I guess I should have used the word "recommends" instead of "provides" in my Post #15. We live in California.

Because of the insurance discussions I've read here, do I need to be concerned that, God forbid, this could become an issue (a loophole) if we should happen to need the pre-existing condition waiver for whatever reason, because the date of final payment to the TA and the purchase date of the policy will not match. I believe Travel Guard to be a reputable company, but this is a definite concern now. Do I need to call Travel Guard to try to get this in writing or can I trust that what was told to me over the phone will suffice?

I've certainly learned from this experience to always check to make sure your insurance payment has in fact been paid. Had I not done so, we could have ended up with no insurance at all!

Any comments from the experts here? Thank you.

First of all, the date you purchase the insurance has to be within x days of the deposit, not final payment.

Second, you probably do have something to worry about. I'd suggest you get a letter from Travel Guard right now that states that you will have no problems with pre-existing conditions because of the glitch.

I don't care what insurance company one deals with, none of them are in business to pay claims and all of them can find a "weasel clause" to get out of paying.

As for Travel Guard, I wouldn't ever leave my self in their greedy hands again! Talk about weasels! They refused to medivac my DH when we had one-million dollars of coverage. Guess who made the decision to medivac? The "medical expert" at the insurance company, not the doctors. Guess what the credentials of the "medical expert" were? He was a paramedic!

I now purchase a Medjet Assist policy on top of everything else. I will never, ever trust an insurance company to medivac.

First of all, the date you purchase the insurance has to be within x days of the deposit, not final payment.

There are many insurers that allow you to buy the policy at final payment and still get coverage for pre-existing conditions. CSA is one along with HTH, some Travelex plans, and as noted by the OP some Travel Guard plans.

People tend to forget that the plans they see on the insurers' web sites and the major comparison sites like insuremytrip or squaremouth are nowhere near all of the plans that are out there.

For example, Travelex has their Travel Net plans that are only sold through select agencies and the agency can choose to offer their clients a version that provides pre-ex coverage if purchased within 14 days of the initial trip deposit or a version that has pre-ex coverage if purchased up until the final payment date. Travel Guard has several plans that so the same thing.

To the OP -- I dealt with Travel Guard for many years and I can assure you that they will treat you fairly in this matter if it ever comes to a claim. That said, I'd get it in writing from my own Mother just on general principles.

6rugrats - I'm sorry you didn't understand my situation as I presented it in my Post #15 above. Perhaps the quote below ({Post #7) will provide answers to your comments:

I guess I should have used the word "recommends" instead of "provides" in my Post #15. We live in California.

I don't know of any "regular" TG policy that will cover you, if you live in CA, for pre-existing conditions, unless you purchase within 15 days of your initial deposit. As stated, read your policy and it will tell you if you have this coverage or not.

I know some very large TAs will have this sort of coverage, so assume if you have it, that's how you have obtained it at this late date.

I have never had any problems getting claims paid with Travelguard.

I don't know of any "regular" TG policy that will cover you, if you live in CA, for pre-existing conditions, unless you purchase within 15 days of your initial deposit. As stated, read your policy and it will tell you if you have this coverage or not.

I know some very large TAs will have this sort of coverage, so assume if you have it, that's how you have obtained it at this late date.

Yes, for example this is the Travel Guard plan sold to clients of Costco Travel only

http://www.travelguard.com/WorkArea/downloadasset.aspx?id=4294975372

And here's the pre-ex waiver info:

"PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $50,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 24 hours of final Trip payment;

2. All Insureds are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

You'll also note that unlike the regular Travel Guard plans this one does not require that you insure 100% of your trip cost in order to get the pre-ex waiver. That and the ability to get the pre-ex coverage up until the final payment date of your cruise make it much more consumer-friendly than their regular plans. The downside is that these types of modifications end up adding a few bucks to the plan premiums. There's no free lunch.

If you're a big enough agency the insurers are willing to make whatever changes in their plans are necessary to get your business. It's situations like these that make me cringe when I see someone post that you should never buy your travel insurance through your TA. Many people that take that advice are losing out on a good deal. Yes shop around but include the TA's plan in the comparison mix.

Also as stated in this thread -- many cruise line policies provide similar pre- existing waivers at time of final payment.

That is one advantage of a cruise line policy. Also if you are older, the price of a cruise line policy may be cheaper because it is governed only by a fixed percentage of the price and not by the price and the age of the traveler.

Also as stated in this thread -- many cruise line policies provide similar pre- existing waivers at time of final payment.

There are no cruise line policies that I'm aware of that have a waiver of their pre-existing condition exclusion no matter when their plan is purchased.

Some that have a "cancel for any reason" benefit will reimburse you in cash if you cancel for a covered reason, but only with a voucher/credit that can range from 75% to 100% of your penalty amount if you cancel for a non-covered reason. In all of these plans a cancellation due to a pre-existing condition is considered a non-covered reason -- the same as if you cancel because your dog gets sick. There is no waiver available that will bump a cancellation due to a pre-existing condition back into the "covered reason" category so you can get reimbursed in cash instead of the future cruise credit.

For example, with Princess here's the plan wording:

"Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver Program -- waives the non-refundable cancellation provision of your Passage Contract and pays you the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation in the event that you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation (for specified reasons). In addition, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise for "any other reason", you may be eligible for Cruise Credits."

Then the question becomes "is a pre-existing condition a covered reason or not?" In the General Plan Exclusions is this:

"We will not pay for any loss or expense caused by or incurred resulting from: a pre-existing condition . . ."

In general, if you have a pre-existing condition and buy a cruise line policy you'd better be happy with at best a partial future cruise credit if the pre-ex condition causes you to cancel.

There are many insurers that allow you to buy the policy at final payment and still get coverage for pre-existing conditions. CSA is one along with HTH, some Travelex plans, and as noted by the OP some Travel Guard plans.

People tend to forget that the plans they see on the insurers' web sites and the major comparison sites like insuremytrip or squaremouth are nowhere near all of the plans that are out there.

For example, Travelex has their Travel Net plans that are only sold through select agencies and the agency can choose to offer their clients a version that provides pre-ex coverage if purchased within 14 days of the initial trip deposit or a version that has pre-ex coverage if purchased up until the final payment date. Travel Guard has several plans that so the same thing.

To the OP -- I dealt with Travel Guard for many years and I can assure you that they will treat you fairly in this matter if it ever comes to a claim. That said, I'd get it in writing from my own Mother just on general principles.

In regard to my post #15, I am not the original poster, but I surely appreciate the input from you in regard to my situation. I came back to say that the "glitch" has been resolved in writing from Travel Guard. We are covered for pre-existing conditions! Just a phone call to Travel Guard on Wednesday brought e-mail confirmation on Friday morning. We are totally satisfied with Travel Guard's handling of our concern.

This thread has been very enlightening and educational! Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts.

There are no cruise line policies that I'm aware of that have a waiver of their pre-existing condition exclusion no matter when their plan is purchased.

Check Holland American;s CPP plan (platinum) -- it has no Pre Existing clause.period.

Archived