RoomService Tip

habita

It's a personal choice of course. And the tip you pay daily is supposed to include all the staff serving you.

We use only morning (coffee and cereal) room service. If it is a server, not our room steward ( we have seen both), we offer a couple dollars. If it is our assigned room steward we include something extra at the end of the cruise to cover the entire stay if they have been excellent.

I do not, it is included in the daily service charge they put on your account. Princess has formulated a daily amount that they deem sufficient so why should I second guess them. I merely leave the daily $24 (DH & Myself) which is plenty.

We always tip $2 per trip- we sometimes have breakfast, lunch, afternoon or late-night snacks, or ordering bottles of alcohol. I know that the service charge is included, but we generally give a little extra to the regular guys or gals at the end, and the room service people are among those you might not have contact with at the end.

I keep a stack of $5 bills in the bedside drawer and use them whenever someone brings me something.If it our cabin steward,I give him an envelope at the end of the cruise.These people work very hard and the truly appreciate a bit extra.

Do you tip for room service ? If so, how much ?

We usually have coffe and orange juice for two in the mornings

from room service. To spruce up our tip, we include $ 2 in a

snack envelope along with 4 Hershey's minitures. We enjoy the

response from the server which usually is a smile and a chuckle.

Hopefully, it helps improve their busy schedule.

:rolleyes:

Nice idea - thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Dee

We don't seem to be big room service users but feel that we tip when service justifies it - $20 at Sabitinis for instance. Our story begins with us finally becoming elite. We order the 'traditional afternoon tea' on our patio, as we cruised past the glaciers around the South American fjords. I should mention that this would be the patio on our first ever full suite via a complemntary upgrade. We were enjoying the view. The commentary. The weather. The company. And the tea when it came and it never occurred to either of us that we should tip. After a while it was time to go in and get ready for dinner. It was only then that we dosicovered that the steard had closed th balcony door AND LATCHED IT from the inside after setting up the tea service.

We spent the next hour trying to get the attention of neighboring balconies to ask them to call security to let us in. After some period of time this worked and security showed up. His question was. "how did this happen"? We told him that apparently we had forgotten to tip the steward and he only chuckled and left.

It is always good policy to tip when the servivce warrants it. We know this from experinece and trully enjoyed learning this lesson.

When we sign the receipt when they deliver breakfast, there is a space for gratuity and we give $2.00

On a recent cruise we added a tip to the receipt at the Bayou Café Steakhouse restaurant & when we learned that the tip would go into the tip pool we instead gave our server a cash tip. I don't know for sure if this is the same thing with room service delivery however I suspect it's the same thing. So if you want to have the delivery person able to keep the tip, I would recommend giving it to them in cash instead.

We also give room service a $1-$2 tip but whether to tip or the amount is a personal decision.

Do you tip for room service ? If so, how much ?

Yes. Two dollars if both my sister and I order a couple of items from room service and he only has to bring in one tray. More if there are more than one tray to carry and bring in.

We tend to only use room service for breakfast and tip $2, you can add the tip on the back of the delivery slip.

On HAL, we are not presented with a delivery slip and we cannot write in a tip on any charge slips on HAL ships except for the spa/salon.

In the specialty restaurants, we tip in cash and we always have cash ready when room service is coming as they enter so quickly, set out our food and turn to leave in a flash. They NEVER hang back waiting to be tipped and if you don't have it out and ready, they are gone before you can get it out of your purse/wallet.

We always tip for room service. Always.

We don't seem to be big room service users but feel that we tip when service justifies it - $20 at Sabitinis for instance. Our story begins with us finally becoming elite. We order the 'traditional afternoon tea' on our patio, as we cruised past the glaciers around the South American fjords. I should mention that this would be the patio on our first ever full suite via a complemntary upgrade. We were enjoying the view. The commentary. The weather. The company. And the tea when it came and it never occurred to either of us that we should tip. After a while it was time to go in and get ready for dinner. It was only then that we dosicovered that the steard had closed th balcony door AND LATCHED IT from the inside after setting up the tea service.

We spent the next hour trying to get the attention of neighboring balconies to ask them to call security to let us in. After some period of time this worked and security showed up. His question was. "how did this happen"? We told him that apparently we had forgotten to tip the steward and he only chuckled and left.

It is always good policy to tip when the servivce warrants it. We know this from experinece and trully enjoyed learning this lesson.

That is a shocking, horrible story.

You could have had a medical emergency out there and then what? For people of high anxiety, that could cause a medical emergency.

That steward should be put on 'warning' at the least, IMO.

You said Sabatini's so I'm guessing that is Princess?

Another good reason we have not returned to Princess. We had chosen to never sail with them again for other reasons and this sure adds to the list.

Happy it worked out safely for you but it's disgraceful. IMO

There are hundreds of staff on ships who make about same wages as those you interact with to get food. From cooks to cleaners to laundry. It is nice to tip and I do but I also know the guy who cleans the pools at 5 am or tends the potted plants does not talk to me and would get none of my cash tips. I am fine with tip pooling so have to trust the company to equitably split it up later. The policy is fully justified.

And yet, I do tip servers sometimes.

Usually $2 cash per tray for room service, more if it is a special order. The cabin steward gets a little extra toward the end of the cruise for his/her efforts and I usually have one server at the pool area that I work with that can earn extra tips if he/she follows intructions well such as don't call me, I'll call you if I need something, etc.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of staff on ships who make about same wages as those you interact with to get food. From cooks to cleaners to laundry. It is nice to tip and I do but I also know the guy who cleans the pools at 5 am or tends the potted plants does not talk to me and would get none of my cash tips......
Many of the crew members start out in those behind-the-scenes entry level positions where they have no direct passenger contact in hopes of working work their way up to the tipped positions where they can make more money.

Since the room service fellows are working extra time and room service isn't actually funded out of the DSC we certainly feel that tipping them a couple of bucks is appropriate since that is what they are expecting.

Sounds like a nice idea -- but not all crew members eat candy.

Archived