Travel from Airports to Southhampton Cruiseport

Would appreciate hearing people's experience and tips on how to best get to/from Southhampton, UK cruise port and which airport(s) is/are recommended for the least difficulty.

We have been to the UK several times but have never driven when there. Also, familiar with the train system but ferrying baggage to/from a cruise onto the train is not a desired option at our age.

Thanks to all who have had this experience and can share.:o

Would appreciate hearing people's experience and tips on how to best get to/from Southhampton, UK cruise port and which airport(s) is/are recommended for the least difficulty.

We have been to the UK several times but have never driven when there. Also, familiar with the train system but ferrying baggage to/from a cruise onto the train is not a desired option at our age.

Thanks to all who have had this experience and can share.:o

From the British Isles board several years ago I learned of a car service that we have used several times. They are called woodford chauffeur cars and below is their web site. From that site you can get their e mail address and they will quote you a price. Very friend, reliable and competitive service.

http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/

London Heathrow is located 75 miles from Southampton and London Gatwick is located 90 miles from Southampton.

I would pick the airport that provides you with the most competitive flights and most options.

Allow a couple of hours for the drive and a couple more hours for check in.

I wouldn't book flight the day before you get off the ship before noon.

Keith

Flying from the States, the obvious airports are London Heathrow (LHR) or London Gatwick (LGW). Heathrow is marginally closer but, as Keith's post, other flight considerations are more important.

Train is remarkably easy from Gatwick, direct hourly trains (except sundays) costing about £10 pp from the airport's south terminal to Southampton central station, then a short £7 taxi hop to your ship.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Train from Heathrow is awkward & involves a shuttle bus - best avoided.

National Express bus from either airport about £16 pp, needs to be pre-booked, check luggage terms. Again, a £7 taxi hop from Southampton coach station (ignore "cruise terminal" option, it doesn't apply to your ship)

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Most often recommended private transfers on Cruise Critic are www.westquaycars.com and www.smithsforairports.com who both provide a good & reliable service at around £100.

Woodford have a good reputation, but I think you'll find their rates quite a lot higher.

JB :)

I have found the National Express coaches (buses) easier to use than the trains as the drivers load the baggage and help those who need a hand up on the coach. On the trains, you are entirely on your own with hefting luggage and self.

I took a train to Southampton once and found it worked for us at that time......

Nearest airport is Southampton -not really an international airport .You can get flights there from reginal airports in UK.

HEATHROW is the airport you want -there is a company called CRUISE link ?which provides a direct coach or just get a transfer from cruise company .

If you dont only option as in earlier thread is coach to Southampton and get taxi to port!

THANK YOU to all who have responded so quickly to my question just posted this morning..............There are several very helpful suggestions and I will likely pursue one of the transatlantic cruises with less concerns about getting to the port with the help you all have offered.

We have traveled in the UK and France on the trains and hauling around baggage on our own was challenging when wife was in need of a hip transplant as it turned out after our travels. Still challenging because of lack of any real storage in the rail cars we found. The coaches or transfers by the cruise line are options I have not looked into since we have not done a cruise departure from a foreign port yet.

Cruise Critics are GREAT people!:)

We used National Express bus service and were pleased with the service. Can get the bus right in Terminal 3 at Heathrow where you will land. Just allow extra time to get through immigration and get luggage and get to the bus terminal outside. It is an easy and scenic trip. We went a day ahead of our cruise and stayed in Southampton overnight just to be safe. Can make same return trip to Heathrow after your cruise if you need to or can go on into greater London if you are staying longer. Enjoy your trip!

Flying from the States, the obvious airports are London Heathrow (LHR) or London Gatwick (LGW). Heathrow is marginally closer but, as Keith's post, other flight considerations are more important.

Train is remarkably easy from Gatwick, direct hourly trains (except sundays) costing about £10 pp from the airport's south terminal to Southampton central station, then a short £7 taxi hop to your ship.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Train from Heathrow is awkward & involves a shuttle bus - best avoided.

National Express bus from either airport about £16 pp, needs to be pre-booked, check luggage terms. Again, a £7 taxi hop from Southampton coach station (ignore "cruise terminal" option, it doesn't apply to your ship)

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Most often recommended private transfers on Cruise Critic are www.westquaycars.com and www.smithsforairports.com who both provide a good & reliable service at around £100.

Woodford have a good reputation, but I think you'll find their rates quite a lot higher.

JB- just calling on your great knowledge of travel here....I see that the OP is from North Carolina....is there any point in flying from there to Manchester, then flying in the Southampton? I see so many posters who only know of London flights, but it should be possible to go to another city first, which has flights to Southampton.

Just a thought- easier to transfer across the airport....:confused:

Jo.

JB- just calling on your great knowledge of travel here....I see that the OP is from North Carolina....is there any point in flying from there to Manchester, then flying in the Southampton? I see so many posters who only know of London flights, but it should be possible to go to another city first, which has flights to Southampton.

Jo.

Don't think one is going to find any flights from North Carolina or most states over here to Manchester. Our flights either go to Gatwick, or Heathrow and sometimes both.

Keith

Jo.

Hi Jo,

I think you've got your answer already. ;)

Inter-continental flights into Southampton are best done to a european hub, such as Paris or Amsterdam, then a flight to Southampton airport. But that rarely works out more economical on either cost or time, esp with a stack of luggage.

http://www.southamptonairport.com/flight-information/destinations-and-airlines

Via Manchester has all the same disadvantages, but without the wide choice of T/A airlines/flights.

Birmingham (BHX) isn't a great deal further than the London airports & has a direct rail link, but again limited T/A flights.

Best bet is nearly always London Heathrow or London Gatwick.

Hi Jo,

I think you've got your answer already. ;)

Inter-continental flights into Southampton are best done to a european hub, such as Paris or Amsterdam, then a flight to Southampton airport. But that rarely works out more economical on either cost or time, esp with a stack of luggage.

http://www.southamptonairport.com/flight-information/destinations-and-airlines

Via Manchester has all the same disadvantages, but without the wide choice of T/A airlines/flights.

Birmingham (BHX) isn't a great deal further than the London airports & has a direct rail link, but again limited T/A flights.

Best bet is nearly always London Heathrow or London Gatwick.

Thanks- just a (not very bright) idea.....:(

Jo.

We arranged a private car service over the internet, Smithstotheairport.com -- great service. Would definitely use it again. Went from the port to Heathrow. Reasonable price and very professional. You can google Smiths to the Airport to find the web site.

We arranged a private car service over the internet, Smithstotheairport.com -- great service. Would definitely use it again. Went from the port to Heathrow. Reasonable price and very professional. You can google Smiths to the Airport to find the web site.

Nice try, but Smithstotheairport.com won't get you anywhere :p

You're thinking of http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html

And yes, frequently recommended on CC

Archived