Comfortable shoes on ship?

april47

I will be going on a TA with a lot of sea days. I am only bringing my comfortable black leather tennies for walking on shore days and a pair of dress shoes. I like to travel on the light side. I am considering also a pair of comfortable flats to wear on sea days. I know skechers has a cute pair of flat, rubber sole shoes with a strap. Does anyone know how comfortable these are? I'm older and stick with comfortable and don't like to show my toes too much. Some of you older ladies may understand. Here is a picture.

Don't laugh but do you wear these with or without sox?

12474_BBK.jpg

I will be going on a TA with a lot of sea days. I am only bringing my comfortable black leather tennies for walking on shore days and a pair of dress shoes. I like to travel on the light side. I am considering also a pair of comfortable flats to wear on sea days. I know skechers has a cute pair of flat, rubber sole shoes with a strap. Does anyone know how comfortable these are? I'm older and stick with comfortable and don't like to show my toes too much. Some of you older ladies may understand. Here is a picture.

Don't laugh but do you wear these with or without sox?

12474_BBK.jpg

Hi April47, I have had many pairs of sketchers and always found them comfortable, never had the ones you are thinking of though.

They are cute and if I were wearing them, with trousers or 3/4 pants I would wear them with footsies. Comfort is the key:)

During the day on the ship, I'm in flip-flops! How much more comfortable can you get???

Please...no socks with the shoes you've shown! And, don't be afraid to show your older toes! Feet age much better than arms and faces! Toes are the last thing to go! Show what you've got!

I have those shoes (or a similar style) that I wear for work with pants. They are comfortable and I get lots of compliments. Maybe if you got a color other than black they would look a lighter for wearing around the ship? I personally wear flip flops all summer, so that's what I would pack for a cruise.

I think it's an individual thing, whether shoes are comfortable or not. Sketchers have never fit me well, but I have a wide foot with a high arch. Other brands that work for me may not fit you well at all. You really need to try them on, which is why I never buy shoes online.

I would wear the style of shoe you show for walking, if I found a brand that worked for me. Whether I wore socks with them or not would depend on the pants I had on.

Just wanted to add, perhaps some people aren't reading closely enough that you are going on a TA, sea days can be cooler and flip flops may not be the best choice.

Oops, you're right, I didn't notice the TA part. I would still bring the flip flops because they take up little room. The Sketchers I have don't have much arch support, so they might not be good if you have foot problems.

Try Privos or Merrells Mary Janes. Try a lighter color if you are going to wear them with shorts or capris. I like beige so that it blends in with my skin tone and doesn't look so clunky. http://www.zappos.com/privo-by-clarks-p-meridian-stone?zfcTest=fw:1 I don't like to show my toes either, but as long as I keep up with a pedicure I will. Since I live at the beach, flip flops are my daily foot wear about 9 months of the year!

Have a great cruise!:)

Do you like that type of sole? That might take some getting used to.

I have a several pairs of NaturalSoul flats that I love. They are made by Naturalizer. I got mine at Kohls, Marshalls and Famous Footwear.

The problem I have with Skechers sneakers is the label (on the tongue) is some sort of plastic that sticks and creates a raw point on my foot. Sometimes it's just too hot for socks.

I'm a fan of Privo's myself(their flip flops are great!), not so much Sketchers(I've usually found them to be uncomfortable). As for the style you've shown, those are often sockless, but I've seen socks that are ped style for those times when wearing shoes that are for bare feet. I'm investing in a nice pair of deck shoes this year myself. DSW has some nice styles that aren't too expensive and look comfortable. They also have a nice selection of fashion athletic style sneakers and shoes too.

Comfort is a very personal thing.....I think flip flops are horribly uncomfortable, for instance, and only wear them when I have no choice (in a spa, for instance). My recommendation would not be to take any new shoes with you, so you will already know how comfortable they are. I have a pair of Chaco sandals that are my go-to shoes in any weather above 15 degrees C, and that's what I expect I'll wear most on my transatlantic cruise.

Anything I do end up buying I plan on buying them2-3 months ahead of time and break them in and check them out. No way would I bring a pair of shoes into the middle of the ocean not knowing if they were going to make my feet hurt. I think I will check out Clarks and Merrils in a similar style.

I have a pair of Privo mary janes that I've worn so often, I can't really wear them in public anymore. And I can't find a replacement I like as much:( I did bring them on my Alaska cruise in 2007 as my land tour, ship, and occasional port walk shoe. No socks.

I used to love Merrell. But when they changed the styles to become more fashionable, they changed the last and no longer fit my foot well:( For my personal foot, Softspots fit wonderfully, Privo (if I can find it in a wide - not very many styles) or Dansko. Clarks tend to be too narrow. Try try try.

In general, I think a neutral mary jane is a nice flexible style that can go with a pant, jean, some shorts, skirts or casual dresses - probably a great shoe for your TA!

I have a pair of Privo mary janes that I've worn so often, I can't really wear them in public anymore. And I can't find a replacement I like as much:( I did bring them on my Alaska cruise in 2007 as my land tour, ship, and occasional port walk shoe. No socks.

I used to love Merrell. But when they changed the styles to become more fashionable, they changed the last and no longer fit my foot well:( For my personal foot, Softspots fit wonderfully, Privo (if I can find it in a wide - not very many styles) or Dansko. Clarks tend to be too narrow. Try try try.

In general, I think a neutral mary jane is a nice flexible style that can go with a pant, jean, some shorts, skirts or casual dresses - probably a great shoe for your TA!

BBM

Great suggestion!

HAPPY CRUISING!!

All of my most comfortable walking shoes and sandals are Merrell. They have great support and wear very well. I wear these in the spring, fall and cooler wet summer days.

Womens Encore Breeze 2 Casual Shoes - Official Merrell Online Store

I love Merrells too, though I've only had a certain style of their sandal slides. Unfortunately the pair I love is not made any more.

But, everyone's foot is different; my SIL cannot wear Merrells at all. I think they work best for a high arch. The key is to try them on, of course.

The pair you showed look to me like they might be hard to walk in due to the curved sole. Be sure to try them out first. I wouldn't like to wear socks with that pair, but if they feel more comfortable with anklet styles, then who cares?

I love Merrells too, though I've only had a certain style of their sandal slides. Unfortunately the pair I love is not made any more.

But, everyone's foot is different; my SIL cannot wear Merrells at all. I think they work best for a high arch. The key is to try them on, of course.

The pair you showed look to me like they might be hard to walk in due to the curved sole. Be sure to try them out first. I wouldn't like to wear socks with that pair, but if they feel more comfortable with anklet styles, then who cares?

Skeetchers used to have the flat version of the mary jane as I had it and I could put my custom orthodics in them with the strap to stabalize the shoe.

My go to place for shoes is footsmart.com. I have plantar facitis and lately have found that orthoheel brand is more comfortable than even the custom orthodics BUT not in all styles. Try on and keep trying -- an expensive way of life but necessary.

If the dogs aren't happy Mama ain't happy and you all know what happens when Mama ain't happy!:p

As for socks. Ready to flame! I do wear socks with my mary janes in that the shoe lasts longer (as does the $500 custom orthodics) and my feet just feel cooler, less stressed and happier. If wearing pants -- especially black pants I wear men's formal dress socks (wider leg :p) or jobst light support stockings (especially on the plane) and sometimes really loud obnoxious socks just because I am old enough that no one does anything but laugh and talk about the socks as an interesting icebreaker. Of course I have a whole set of knee highs to go with the walking cast too:eek::D

As for socks. Ready to flame! I do wear socks with my mary janes in that the shoe lasts longer (as does the $500 custom orthodics) and my feet just feel cooler, less stressed and happier. If wearing pants -- especially black pants I wear men's formal dress socks (wider leg :p) or jobst light support stockings (especially on the plane) and sometimes really loud obnoxious socks just because I am old enough that no one does anything but laugh and talk about the socks as an interesting icebreaker. Of course I have a whole set of knee highs to go with the walking cast too:eek::D

I wear socks with my merrells too. I don't give a toss what people think or how they look. If my feet are happy I am happy.

All the shoes i buy i can walk for miles in even my black ones i wear with formal gear ..i can't see the point in buying winkle pickers ,or 3" stilletos i'd break my leg or something :) but i like to wear my big clunky sandles during the day

I agree, your feet need to be comfortable or the whole vacation can be ruined. Most of us 'of a certain age' understand the need sometimes for socks, less than stylish shoes and other compensations.

Just ordered another pair of Merrell slides today; slightly different style, so I hope they are as comfy as the others. I mostly wear them as my around home shoes, but always take them to wear on cruises too.

I never wear flip flops, but I ordered a pair of Teva Mush flops, can't remember why. Well I threw them in my suitcase the last cruise, then my feet swelled and they were the only ones I could get on. They are extremely comfortable and I love them. I've just ordered a couple of other colors, and I'm sure will be wearing them almost every day, if not into the evening. give'em a try, even if only for your emergency pair. They don't weigh anything and take up little room. I got mine from Ebay for less than 17$

All of my most comfortable walking shoes and sandals are Merrell. They have great support and wear very well. I wear these in the spring, fall and cooler wet summer days.

Womens Encore Breeze 2 Casual Shoes - Official Merrell Online Store

I agree, the most comfortable shoe that I have ever worn. Nurses who are on their feet all day swear by them!

Archived