New to Holland America, sailing June 24

m-of-connor

I booked this cruise about 5 days ago!!! Price was GREAT. Taking the kids (10 and 12) and my mom. This will be the first cruise to Alaska and first time on H.A.

I think my eyes are going to cross with all the reserch I have been doing.

Just a couple of questions.

When I booked the cruise I did ask the agent if we could get any credit for the Carnival cruises we have taken, she said "no". I saw a thread and I think that I read on H.A. web site that we can start off at "star level" This would get us the welcome lunch. Not that big of a deal but would like to know if this is possible.

Is there anything specfic (tips) that I should know about H.A. that would be diffrent from the Celebrity/Carnival cruises that I have been on?

We allways go to the Teas (even the kids) I see H.A. has a High Tea will they be doing this on the Alaska trip and will it be on one of the at sea days?

What is this I have read about "Pea Soup" is this only severed the day we do the Glacier Bay cruising or is this severed all the time?

Dinning Room - Must haves on this line? Do they offer a cheese plate? (youngest son and I love to share this, except he is becoming a cheese snob)

When (Within the next 8 days:rolleyes:) will they asign the cabins and how will I know this? I just booked guarantee, hope the 2 cabins are close to each other, but not a big deal. We are just excited to go to Alaska. I am calling this our recon cruise/mission for when Dad can come. We will know excatly what we want to do and what kind of excussions to go on as a family or if it will just be hubby and me next time.

Ship - I can not find any Alaska reviews on the Statendam. I know that it has not been in Alaska long but "where oh where" are the reviews. I did not see a roll call for this date either. I know this ship has had some not great reviews but would like to hear something more recent. I hope this will be a nice experience on Holland America.

Thanks to all who post on CC, it is a great tool and could not have accomplish so much in such a short amount of time:D

I booked this cruise about 5 days ago!!! Price was GREAT. Taking the kids (10 and 12) and my mom. This will be the first cruise to Alaska and first time on H.A.

When I booked the cruise I did ask the agent if we could get any credit for the Carnival cruises we have taken, she said "no". I saw a thread and I think that I read on H.A. web site that we can start off at "star level" This would get us the welcome lunch. Not that big of a deal but would like to know if this is possible. It's my understanding that you can attend the Mariners brunch (served the last sea day on our cruise), but I don't know for sure how you would insure that.

Is there anything specfic (tips) that I should know about H.A. that would be diffrent from the Celebrity/Carnival cruises that I have been on?

We allways go to the Teas (even the kids) I see H.A. has a High Tea will they be doing this on the Alaska trip and will it be on one of the at sea days? They had high tea, and indonesian tea and another one I can't remember on our sea days on our Zaandam Alaska cruise a week ago.

What is this I have read about "Pea Soup" is this only severed the day we do the Glacier Bay cruising or is this severed all the time? AFIK, it's only on Glacier Bay day.

Dinning Room - Must haves on this line? Do they offer a cheese plate? (youngest son and I love to share this, except he is becoming a cheese snob)

When (Within the next 8 days:rolleyes:) will they asign the cabins and how will I know this? I just booked guarantee, hope the 2 cabins are close to each other, but not a big deal. We are just excited to go to Alaska. I am calling this our recon cruise/mission for when Dad can come. We will know excatly what we want to do and what kind of excussions to go on as a family or if it will just be hubby and me next time. In theory, GTY can be assigned at any time up to, and including, embarkation day, so you may not know until you check in.

Ship - I can not find any Alaska reviews on the Statendam. I know that it has not been in Alaska long but "where oh where" are the reviews. I did not see a roll call for this date either. I know this ship has had some not great reviews but would like to hear something more recent. I hope this will be a nice experience on Holland America. Not all the cruises have a cruise meet.

Thanks to all who post on CC, it is a great tool and could not have accomplish so much in such a short amount of time:D

My answers in red, HTH.

:)

"To qualify as a member of the Program, you must have taken at least one eligible HAL cruise or have sailed aboard a “World’s Leading Cruise Lines” brand (Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn Cruise Line or Costa Cruises). Program level accrual is based on the number of eligible credits ("Cruise Day credits") earned per individual;"

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action?WT.ac=blubar_KN_MarSoc

We've never cruised HAL before, but noticed that we had a Mariner ID # on brochures that we received in the mail from HAL. We have cruised with Carnival and Princess numerous times. When I booked our Alaska cruise for next year, I input our number (the one on the brochures) and the system knew us immediately and we were recognized as past guests. We do NOT have any cruise days accrued until we cruise on HAL, but we do get the same benefits as a Star Mariner Member.

Why not contact HAL Mariner Society and see if they can give you a Mariner number, then have it added to your cruise info.

Here's what a Star Member gets:

Star Mariner

Every guest that joins us for any Holland America Line cruise returns as a Star Mariner. It’s our way of saying Welcome Back, and you’ll start feeling the special treatment as soon as you come aboard. Star Mariners receive:

TS2006_VS_07_C0038-champagn.jpg

• Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch
  • A special collectible gift presented to you on board
  • A free subscription to the print or digital* version of Mariner magazine
  • Offers to special sailings hosted by a representative of the Mariner Society
  • Special offers on select sailings
  • A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

There is also a Mariner look-up section on the HAL site on the left side of the screen:

For additional questions, please contact the Holland America Line Mariner Society at 1-800-547-9139.

Comment: Welcome to the HAL Boards:) I'll try to be as specific and informative as I can:)

Comment: NO NO!!! We cannot have you going cross eyed now!!! If you do, you will not see the spectacular views properly:D

When I booked the cruise I did ask the agent if we could get any credit for the Carnival cruises we have taken, she said "no". I saw a thread and I think that I read on H.A. web site that we can start off at "star level" This would get us the welcome lunch. Not that big of a deal but would like to know if this is possible.

Answer: Yes you will be allowed into the Lower Level of the Main Dining Room, which will open at noon for only 1 hour for seating) for the Mariner Embarkation Lunch. So as soon as you board the Statendam, take your stuff to your stateroom and high tail it to Deck 7 Promeade Decl Aft for lunch.

The Mariner Brunch will be served later in the cruise, but depending on the amount of Mariners aboard the ship, they may have 1 or 2 seating's. Usually the first seating is at 11 am and the later seating is at 1 pm. I think the 1st seating is for the 1 and 2 star Mariners and the later seating is for the 3 and 4 star Mariners. BUT, if they have 2 seating's you can actually request to change your time stated on the invitation you will receive the night before in your mail box.

There have been reports on other ships, other itineraries, that there were so many 3 and 4 star Mariners aboard that the 1 and 2 star Mariners did not get to go, but I have not personally seen the NO 1 or 2 star Brunch...

Comment: I've not been on anything but HAL so cannot answer the question above.

We allways go to the Teas (even the kids) I see H.A. has a High Tea will they be doing this on the Alaska trip and will it be on one of the at sea days?

Answer: Not only do they have a High Tea offered one afternoon during the cruise, but they also may have an Indonesian tea, and you can order High Tea delivered to your Room free of chargew, you can have the high tea every day if you wish:)

What is this I have read about "Pea Soup" is this only severed the day we do the Glacier Bay cruising or is this severed all the time?

Answer: Pea Soup is only served I believe for one hour on the Bow of the ship. Last report I read (about 3 days ago) said it was at 9 or 10 am)

Answer: There is a Cheese Plate as a desert alternative (or addition to dessert) which is small in portion size, but you can always order more than one!!! I LOVE it!!! I believe it is on the Everyday Menu Offering.

When (Within the next 8 days:rolleyes:) will they asign the cabins and how will I know this? I just booked guarantee, hope the 2 cabins are close to each other, but not a big deal. We are just excited to go to Alaska. I am calling this our recon cruise/mission for when Dad can come. We will know excatly what we want to do and what kind of excussions to go on as a family or if it will just be hubby and me next time.

Answer: You should be getting your stateroom assignment anytime up to the time you arrive at the pier...

Ship - I can not find any Alaska reviews on the Statendam. I know that it has not been in Alaska long but "where oh where" are the reviews. I did not see a roll call for this date either. I know this ship has had some not great reviews but would like to hear something more recent. I hope this will be a nice experience on Holland America.

Answer: Just go with an attitude that nothing is going to get you down!! You are on a well deserved vacation and are going to have a good time.

Have fun and enjoy the cruise to the fullest.

Joanie

You do not need to call HAL about a Mariner #. Just go to the HAL site and pretend to book a cruise. When you get to the point where it asks for names and Mariner #, there is a place to click to look up the number. do that, and you will find you already have a number, thus will be a one star Mariner upon boarding. EM

"Answer: Yes you will be allowed into the Lower Level of the Main Dining Room, which will open at noon for only 1 hour for seating) for the Mariner Embarkation Lunch. So as soon as you board the Statendam, take your stuff to your stateroom and high tail it to Deck 7 Promeade Decl Aft for lunch."

Correction to above: Promenade Deck is on 3, not 7.

"To qualify as a member of the Program, you must have taken at least one eligible HAL cruise or have sailed aboard a “World’s Leading Cruise Lines” brand (Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn Cruise Line or Costa Cruises). Program level accrual is based on the number of eligible credits ("Cruise Day credits") earned per individual;"

Why not contact HAL Mariner Society and see if they can give you a Mariner number, then have it added to your cruise info.

For additional questions, please contact the Holland America Line Mariner Society at 1-800-547-9139.

You will need to email or call the Holland America Mariner Society directly to ask for a VIP number as a past Carnival cruiser. When I originally booked, I was assigned a new Mariner number, but called to confirm my VIP number in order to qualify for the Mariner benefits. They will need to know when you last sailed in order to confirm your status. Any family members that previously sailed with you should each get their own number as well.

I think you have gotten all your questions asked except the comparisons.

The Lido on HAL offers very nice choices for breakfast including many different kinds of eggs benedict and fresh squeezed orange juice (fresh squeezed is also in the dining room).

You can get expresso, capuccino in the MDR at dinner at no charge:)

Hal has 24 hour room service as well room service for breakfast.

The beds on HAL are THE best.

Club HAL is one of HAL's best kept secrets - an excellent program for kids (in case that is of interest).

The staff on HAL are fabulous and will treat you well.

The ship will have fewer announcements than the others you have been on.

Activities are more laid back on HAL

DVD's are available to watch in your room free of charge - a good selection of adult and family films.

Don't forget to try the bread pudding in the Lido:D

And, most importantly - HAVE A GOOD TIME:):)

Welcome to HAL cruising.

Concerning the Pea Soup -- last year on our cruise -- it was also served in the Crow's Nest. Check for the time in your daily Explorer program.

There is a "tea" everyday -- sometimes High Tea, Indonesian Tea, Regular Tea and a sometimes a Cup Cake Tea.

Some ships will also serve hot chocolate on the outer decks (and Crow's Nest) on Glacier days. Warning -- one time there was a gimick -- you had to buy the insulated contained that the hot choclate came in.

Cheese

You can get cheese at breakfast and lunch in the buffet in the Lido. I don't know about Lido dinner.

In the dining room under Desserts -- there is a cheese plate offered at dinner -- Artisian cheeses -- you get 4 tiny pieces -- they give you a list to choose from.

I see that you started a Roll Call for your cruise -- hope you get more than 1 person to talk to.

On our Maasdam cruise in January of '10, there were so many Mariners on board that only 3 and 4 star Mariners could attend. Perhaps because it's such a busy day, they must have to limit the numbers. They check you as you enter the MDR.

Thanks for the answers to my questions everyone.

I just got our cabin assingments today. We are next to each other so we are thrilled. I just can't beleive that they were able to do that.

I am still looking for a recent review of the Statendam. Anyone????

You can also get the cheese/fruit plate served with your dinner. I am a vegetarian and the veggie entree one day had no significant protein. Because of that, I asked my waiter if I could get a few slices of cheese with my dinner. He brought me the full cheese/fruit platter with my dinner. I asked for it on several other occasions when I felt the protein was lacking in the vegetarian option.

TEA: The teas can be very special. The Royal Dutch tea has the best sausage pastries as part of the savories buffet. I could make a meal on those alone.

The Indonesian tea is spectacular with native dress, decor and local treats - the sugary crepes were delicious as well as other unusual items that the crew claims are just like their mothers made.

The cupcake tea is cute with tiny little cupcakes of different flavors. But mainly it is just a very nice, quite and low-key time in the middle of the afternoon to sit back and get taken care of and ..... eat dessert first.

CHEESE I may be getting my ships mixed up here, but one thing I know is the HAL cheese plates have vastly improved from their prior rather inelegant offerings which were just some huge chunks of indeterminate cheese with little else. Now they are really a cheese service with more refined and identifiable choices. What I am not remembering specifically is whether one gets to choose from a list -- which we were able to do on our very last few cruises on two different lines. (MV Discovery and Crystal Symphony)

But for sure, the new HAL cheese plates are very worthy and I order them frequently. The ones on the others ships had great variety, but it catered primarily to British passengers. (MV Discovery) There seemed to be an endless supply of Cotswold Chedder which I fell in love with and couldn't get enough of it. It became my favored dessert when ever it showed up on that ship for lunch and for tea time too.

Crystal started the pretension of having a Cheese "Sommelier" which in fact was the Maitre d' and only he could take the order and serve it which often meant waiting until he could be summoned to your table amid his many other dining room duties. The choices were not as good as what we now find on HAL, and after a while on Crystal it was just not worth the wait. So one more reason to sail twice or three times as much on HAL for the price of a single Crystal cruise with its Cheesy phantom Sommelier.:rolleyes:

Archived