Dining room attire policy

silkhair1

Just got off the Infinity. We generally cruise NCL because we like the casual dress. I was very confused by what I read on here about Celebrity enforcing the dress code policy, so we made sure we had all the right clothing. The confusing part came when people were wearing t-shirts, jeans , gym shoes, and baseball hats in the dining room for dinner. Why have a dress code at all if it really does not matter. I was frustrated, because I would have liked to slack off on dressing too if I could.

Just got off the Infinity. We generally cruise NCL because we like the casual dress. I was very confused by what I read on here about Celebrity enforcing the dress code policy, so we made sure we had all the right clothing. The confusing part came when people were wearing t-shirts, jeans , gym shoes, and baseball hats in the dining room for dinner. Why have a dress code at all if it really does not matter. I was frustrated, because I would have liked to slack off on dressing too if I could.

i hear ya we are not the dress up kind but only if needed we can almost (lol)

and it will also be our first cruise March 4/2013 our first time at anything like this i am also a picky eater i have 1 dress and got that about 10 yrs ago and 1 pant set we stay in warm weather all yr round so we have shorts and short sleeve shirts so we will see

While Celebrity likes people to follow the dress code at dinner, I have rarely seen them enforce it. Once on a formal night they asked a guest to leave due to what he was wearing. Another time on a HAL cruise, they asked our table mate to wear a jacket one night. But with Celebrity, especially now that they have no informal nights, they don't seem to care much what people wear. I suspect they would reject someone in shorts, T-shirt and flip flops at dinner.

While Celebrity likes people to follow the dress code at dinner, I have rarely seen them enforce it. Once on a formal night they asked a guest to leave due to what he was wearing. Another time on a HAL cruise, they asked our table mate to wear a jacket one night. But with Celebrity, especially now that they have no informal nights, they don't seem to care much what people wear. I suspect they would reject someone in shorts, T-shirt and flip flops at dinner.

Enforcement depends on whose at the door. Varies widely from cruise to cruise. An example of Celebrity's consistent inconsistency. If a rule cannot or will not be universally enforced, drop it!

Enforcement depends on whose at the door. Varies widely from cruise to cruise. An example of Celebrity's consistent inconsistency. If a rule cannot or will not be universally enforced, drop it!

I agree. How else will people know where they stand? At the moment, someone like the OP may see others not following the dress code and do the same thing on their nexy cruise, only to be turned away.

I've followed the threads on attire for the last year. We just got off the Millennium(Alaska). On 'smart casual' night we saw tee shirts (not dressy ones - just plain ones), sneakers, hooded sweat shirts and even pajama pants.

The table for eight next to ours had a family with parents (late 60s or early 70s0) and six of their adult children and mates. The parents generally dressed in slacks, Polos, blouses - even on 'formal night'. Every night, including 'formal' night the adult children (ages 20s - 40s) dressed in tee shirts, white leather jogging shoes and hooded sweat shirts every night - even the women. One night one of the adult males had on pajama pants.

On formal night as we walked through the dining room my friend and I looked for tuxes. I saw three and she saw one. About half the men had on suits. The rest had on shirts and ties (no jacket) and there were many polo shirts and sweaters even on formal night. I only saw a hand full of ladies in long gowns and these were the simple kind - no ball room gowns. Most of the women had on a dressy dress or some sort of dressy top with slacks. There were a few cocktail dresses.

At another table next to us on formal night one of the gentlemen had on a Nerhu jacket of sorts and he was bare chested.

At a third table of six next to us the men wore polo shirts every night including 'formal' night and one man wore a fleece and tennis shoes every night.

We really enjoyed ourselves and abided by the dress suggestions and none of this bothered us at all. However, after reading a years worth of posts on this subject I decided to be observent and post what we saw

Here are two pictures of my dresses and they were the dressiest dresses I saw except for possibly the few long slinky gowns on a few young women.

Brie396.jpg

Alaska2304.jpg

I like to see my family dressed up (there are so few times for this)- and so have asked them to abide by the following rules: no jeans or flip flops in the MDR for dinner, formal night: suits and ties.

I will be on the Summit in July with my 3 sons: 28, 25 & 21 and their significant others. I think it's nice to get dressed on a vacation. Not all the time, but some of the time.

Plus, it is an excellant opportunity to take pictures of all of us!

I have down 4 Alaska cruises. For some reason, at least to me, the dress code violations seem more prevalent. And on a TA cruise, there seems to be the most tuxedo and well dressed ladies.

I like to see my family dressed up (there are so few times for this)- and so have asked them to abide by the following rules: no jeans or flip flops in the MDR for dinner, formal night: suits and ties.

I will be on the Summit in July with my 3 sons: 28, 25 & 21 and their significant others. I think it's nice to get dressed on a vacation. Not all the time, but some of the time.

Plus, it is an excellant opportunity to take pictures of all of us!

I agree with you. There are few times my family and I are all together and all dressed up, and the formal nights are the best opportunity to take some portrait shots, both group and solo. I have, however worn jeans in the MDR on dress casual nights. They're dark indigo wash with no distressing and are a trouser cut, and they look great with a dressy top and shoes. Jeans are allowed in the MDR during dinner as long as they aren't torn, ripped or look too casual in style.

Tenn4ever -- you and your DH look stunning in both photos -- and I just love that little black/silver sparkly number! You have definitely succeeded in one department that I continually struggle with -- finding one pair of dressy shoes that will match everything I take for formal night. :p ;)

On our recent Century cruise to Hawaii, we saw a lot of nice dresses (some Hawaiian style) on the ladies, and mostly sport coats and suits on the men. Some guys (like my DH) have figured out that renting a tux on board saves a good deal of space in our checked airline baggage. But, the most interesting attire that I saw on formal nights was one gentleman in a very elaborate dress kilt. :cool:

I think that those who dress look wonderful. I do not understand why people do not enjoy dressing up and respecting the dressing attire rules. It just takes a little planning- I am sure that those people who do cruise are able and have the resources to dress nicely. I am not suggesting that they shop at a fancy boutique or Saks Fifth Avenue, but nice inexpensive dress clothing is available. You can put together a nice outfit by shopping in Targets, Marshalls and Walmart.

I think that those who dress look wonderful. I do not understand why people do not enjoy dressing up and respecting the dressing attire rules. It just takes a little planning- I am sure that those people who do cruise are able and have the resources to dress nicely. I am not suggesting that they shop at a fancy boutique or Saks Fifth Avenue, but nice inexpensive dress clothing is available. You can put together a nice outfit by shopping in Targets, Marshalls and Walmart.

It doesn't require planning. It's just an extra 5 minutes of dressing for men.

To Tenn4ever, you and your wife looked stunning!

Tenn4ever -- you and your DH look stunning in both photos -- and I just love that little black/silver sparkly number! You have definitely succeeded in one department that I continually struggle with -- finding one pair of dressy shoes that will match everything I take for formal night. :p ;)

On our recent Century cruise to Hawaii, we saw a lot of nice dresses (some Hawaiian style) on the ladies, and mostly sport coats and suits on the men. Some guys (like my DH) have figured out that renting a tux on board saves a good deal of space in our checked airline baggage. But, the most interesting attire that I saw on formal nights was one gentleman in a very elaborate dress kilt. :cool:

Thank you for the kind remarks. That's funny about the shoes. I had them before the dresses and when I went shopping for the dresses the rule was that both dresses had to go with the shoes -:D. When our friend made our pictures I told her to make sure she got the shoes in the pictures :D

I concur, Tenn4ever, you and your husband look wonderful(those dresses are great!), and I also agree that it doesn't take a lot of $$ to look nice on a formal night. Places like Kohls, DSW, Loehmann's Daffy's, Marshall's and TJMaxx make it possible to buy a nice dresses of different kinds for great prices, and Target and Walmart have great resort style (and cocktail appropriate) clothes at extremely reasonable price points. The old school stores like Sears and JC Penney have really stepped up their game and make some nice dinner dresses and cocktail clothes and shoes.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the trend of dressing up formally on a cruise ship is going (and its subsequent enforcement of rules).. We're simply in the transitional stages right now.

Many people just can't see it, because we're in the middle of it.. But if you were to take a picture of what it was 5 years ago, what it is now, and what it will be 5 years from now.... you'd see the distinctive difference.. It's not even a matter of enforcement... years ago people just wouldn't wear backwards baseball caps to dinner in the dining room.. They just wouldn't.. Casual night or otherwise.

With society as it is.... the new generations believing in casual "everything/everywhere", more people taking cruises just because it's cheap - not because they're special, and cruiselines having to cave in to popular demand in order to fill their ships, it's only a matter of time.. Enjoy any semblance of formality while you can.

While I don't go all out on formal nights and wear a tux, I do wear a suit, and have no problem with it. On non-formal nights, I will wear Dockers and a nice long-sleeve, button-down shirt in the MDR.

I wouldn't even think of wearing jeans in there.

I do believe there is a huge shift in attire, and not just on cruise lines. I see it in the workplace as well. I see people wearing things to work that they never would have gotten away with as little as 5 years ago. Flip-flops (women), t-shirts on casual fridays when that used to mean just a polo shirt and jeans, etc...

The world she is a-changin'

Societal expectation of dress change over time. Men don't wear powdered wigs, waistcoats, hose, and tricorn hats anymore. The first tuxedo's were daringingly fashion forward and downright scandalous.

We're in a period of rapid transition with respect to societal expectations regarding clothing. Twenty years ago, unless one worked in a factory, a man put on a suit to go to work. Now wearing a suit is rare. Country clubs, restaraunts, etc., required a coat and tie to dine for dinner. Restaraunts have changed their policies, country clubs who want to survive are doing the same. As Rick-cruiser noted, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know where this is going.

But (and isn't there always a "but"), some perceive perils in this change. On the one hand, you have the casual cruiser who believes that they should be able to do what they want and wear what they want on vacation. On the other hand, you have folks who, in part, go on cruises for the shared elegance of formal night.

I don't like formal night. For a man, the clothes are hot. You have a t-shirt, a shirt, a tie, and a jacket. And it's made out of wool. (Before anyone says it; I have summer weight suits as I live in Texas). Celebrity's dress CODE (it's not a suggestion or a recommendation, it's a code) does not seem to permit even a blazer or sports coat -- which would be far more convenient. (Again, before anyone says it, I realize that you can get away with a sports coat and tie even if they are enforcing formal night). And really, isn't a sports coat and tie, smart casual anyway?

But the OP here might have hit on an even bigger problem. That problem is that some aren't following smart casual either. T-shirts, shorts, etc., aren't smart casual. To me, at least, Celebrity has to decide whether they're going to enforce their Code or not. My opinion is that they should drop formal night and then enforce the code (unless, for example, a passenger's luggage didn't make the ship).

Others opinions can differ and they're just as valid as mine. This is my Code regarding the Code. I'm going to follow it until its changed. I do not care if you follow it. In some cases, I support those rebels wearing the sportscoats on Formal night even if they're violating the Code. Maybe that will result in a change.

What some people will wear on Formal Nights I wouldn't even wear to wash my car. I know I can probably "get away" with dressing way down, but wouldn't. What other people wear will not have an effect on my vacation enjoyment, but I wish people would stop trying to justify going against the dress code; either follow it, or don't.

While I don't go all out on formal nights and wear a tux, I do wear a suit, and have no problem with it. On non-formal nights, I will wear Dockers and a nice long-sleeve, button-down shirt in the MDR.

I wouldn't even think of wearing jeans in there.

I do believe there is a huge shift in attire, and not just on cruise lines. I see it in the workplace as well. I see people wearing things to work that they never would have gotten away with as little as 5 years ago. Flip-flops (women), t-shirts on casual fridays when that used to mean just a polo shirt and jeans, etc...

The world she is a-changin'

While I sadly agree that the world (s)he is changing-fortunately, many things for the better of course, but some not. I do hope some traditions remain for those of us who enjoy them. I enjoy formal nights as do many of the others who voiced opinions.

Just got off the Infinity. We generally cruise NCL because we like the casual dress. I was very confused by what I read on here about Celebrity enforcing the dress code policy, so we made sure we had all the right clothing. The confusing part came when people were wearing t-shirts, jeans , gym shoes, and baseball hats in the dining room for dinner. Why have a dress code at all if it really does not matter. I was frustrated,because I would have liked to slack off on dressing too if I could.

This is a PERFECT example..... that what you read HERE does NOT translate to reality onboard the ship!

As you soon realized, the ship's personnel were NOT acting as "clothes police", and some (not all) passengers chose to dress casually. THAT IS THE ONBOARD REALITY AND THAT WILL NEVER CHANGE. Why this debate continues endlessly is beyond comprehension, and I am sorry that you were (perhaps) misled by the endless dress code discussions here. :( I hope that, despite your frustration, you were able to enjoy your cruise!

This is a PERFECT example..... that what you read HERE does NOT translate to reality onboard the ship!

As you soon realized, the ship's personnel were NOT acting as "clothes police", and some (not all) passengers chose to dress casually. THAT IS THE ONBOARD REALITY AND THAT WILL NEVER CHANGE. Why this debate continues endlessly is beyond comprehension, and I am sorry that you were (perhaps) misled by the endless dress code discussions here. :( I hope that, despite your frustration, you were able to enjoy your cruise!

I've been pleased to meet so many wonderful people who post on this board and they can attest that I am a very frequent Celebrity cruiser. The fact is that many staff in the MDR do act as "clothes police". They stand at or near the entrance and give a jacket to men who don't have one. I've seen an almost equal number of situations where those in charge close their eyes and don't respond. The same is true to a much lesser extent during the Elite Hour. Most Hosts/Hostesses politely turn away people who fail to conform to the dress code; however, some don't. The "reality" is that there is consistent inconsistency and that causes confusion which creates unnecessary problems for both passengers and staff.

Archived