Dining room attire policy

silkhair1

We are firm believers in following the dress code. That being said, one night DH had a brain fart and wore shorts to the MDR. Smart casual or not, he was politely asked to change. It was all very nicely done and we appreciated the reminder.

We also like to dress up but here's another question for you... This is our first Celebrity cruise and I did check out their dress code. There is a statement, "flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours." I call everything with a leather strip between my toes, flip-flops.

I have had two back surgeries and do not wear heels any longer. I had planned wearing thong sandals, even with my cocktail/formal dresses. These sandals have leather soles. Do you think the staff in the MDR will ask me to change shoes?

Thanks,

Margit

This is a PERFECT example..... that what you read HERE does NOT translate to reality onboard the ship!

As you soon realized, the ship's personnel were NOT acting as "clothes police", and some (not all) passengers chose to dress casually. THAT IS THE ONBOARD REALITY AND THAT WILL NEVER CHANGE. Why this debate continues endlessly is beyond comprehension, and I am sorry that you were (perhaps) misled by the endless dress code discussions here. :( I hope that, despite your frustration, you were able to enjoy your cruise!

I also have a lot of experience on CELEBRITY cruises and seeing a few people who do not adhere to the dress codes is not evidence that they are not being complied with. The onboard reality is that 99% of the people do comply and the discussions pointing out that someone saw a couple of examples of people who did not are certainly the exception...not the rule. Of course I can only speak from my own experience as I suppose you can speak for yours.

We also like to dress up but here's another question for you... This is our first Celebrity cruise and I did check out their dress code. There is a statement, "flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours." I call everything with a leather strip between my toes, flip-flops.

I have had two back surgeries and do not wear heels any longer. I had planned wearing thong sandals, even with my cocktail/formal dresses. These sandals have leather soles. Do you think the staff in the MDR will ask me to change shoes?

Thanks,

Margit

It won't be a problem.

Tenn4ever -- you and your DH look stunning in both photos -- and I just love that little black/silver sparkly number! You have definitely succeeded in one department that I continually struggle with -- finding one pair of dressy shoes that will match everything I take for formal night. :p ;)

On our recent Century cruise to Hawaii, we saw a lot of nice dresses (some Hawaiian style) on the ladies, and mostly sport coats and suits on the men. Some guys (like my DH) have figured out that renting a tux on board saves a good deal of space in our checked airline baggage. But, the most interesting attire that I saw on formal nights was one gentleman in a very elaborate dress kilt. :cool:

I'm wondering if you happen to remember what the charges to rent the tux onboard amounted to! Sure would save more space for me on our upcoming cruise!!

I'm wondering if you happen to remember what the charges to rent the tux onboard amounted to! Sure would save more space for me on our upcoming cruise!!

I usually rent just the jacket and pants and bring my own shirt, shoes, etc, Cost is $65 for the cruise.

And there is a man who truly understands formal attire!

Wonder if it was the fashion conscious Mr. RMSeadog? Been with him on Formal Nights and I think more people want to take a picture with him than with the Captain :)

What some people will wear on Formal Nights I wouldn't even wear to wash my car. I know I can probably "get away" with dressing way down' date=' but wouldn't. What other people wear will not have an effect on my vacation enjoyment, but I wish people would stop trying to justify going against the dress code; either follow it, or don't.[/quote']

We've never been the dressy sort - before we had to do formal nights 2 years ago the most formal gear we'd worn was at our wedding 18 yrs ago.

Now love the formality if the formal nights and the chance to do something different on holiday. As this poster says - I wish people would stop justifying going against the dress code; either follow it or don't --

Sorry to sound grumpy but if I want to see jeans at a formal do I go to MacDonalds --- (and yes I do like a MacDonalds)

:rolleyes:

I know that we get different descriptions of the MDR dress and as the OP said the standards are not up to the written dress code in some cases. Wish that posters would say which nights they saw people dressed in this manner, was it the first night where they purposely allow the standards to be less knowing some have not received their luggage. It does seem however that Celebrity is enforcing the dress code a little more than they have in the past few years.

I also truly believe that the only reason Celebrity has not gone to "smart casual" every night is because so many people are opting for Specialty restaurants on "formal" nights thus making the cruise line more money. If you read these boards, more and more cruisers are avoiding the MDR on formal nights for other options.

I know that we get different descriptions of the MDR dress and as the OP said the standards are not up to the written dress code in some cases. Wish that posters would say which nights they saw people dressed in this manner, was it the first night where they purposely allow the standards to be less knowing some have not received their luggage. It does seem however that Celebrity is enforcing the dress code a little more than they have in the past few years.

I also truly believe that the only reason Celebrity has not gone to "smart casual" every night is because so many people are opting for Specialty restaurants on "formal" nights thus making the cruise line more money. If you read these boards, more and more cruisers are avoiding the MDR on formal nights for other options.

Don:

How much do you think they make on the rentals and formal portraits? Wonder if they sell more wine on formal nights?

Don:

How much do you think they make on the rentals and formal portraits? Wonder if they sell more wine on formal nights?

Agree, always liked to get nice pictures done especially when we were traveling with the kids. I'm not a wine person so can't help you on that.

Hey Don,

Last I saw your post "you were retiring from the CC boards." Glad to see you are back. Our past two cruises were not on Celebrity, so I have been away from these boards for a bit. However, we are doing the Reflection in December and was interested in this post. On our last few Celebriy cruise, the dress code, even on formal nite, was less dressy then in the past. We found that we stood out being dressed more formally and my DH stopped wearing a tux and has been wearing a suit. In the past, if we did a specialty restaurant on formal nite, we would adhere to the formal dress code. So from what I gather, even though it is only required in the MDR, are more people dressing more casually on formal nights and going to the specialty restaurants? This was the policy on our cruise in December 2010, but I am wondering if people are dressing down more and more.

Thanks

Barb

Don:

Don't know - we take our gear in a suitcase plus lots of other stuff and get the weight right; get other guests to take the photos and generally drink no more than normally.

Don't want to get in to a disagreement with anyone - just drives me nuts when people moan about a dress code or try to get round it when they've booked a cruise with that dress code . (And our first cruise was with the OV2 cruise line so we are not necessarily the dressing up type)

:confused:

Thanks,

Margit

The short answer is that there are flip flops and then there are thong sandals. The flip flops they are speaking of are the casual rubber kind, worn around the pool and in the shower. Just like most other types of shoes, there are fancier versions of the flip flop, both with a heel and the flat kind. The kind the MDR guidelines speak of are the casual "wear with a bathing suit by the pool or at the beach" type

Are passengers who abhor the present Formal Dress code hoping that if they complain loud enough, the code will be changed?

What would satisfy all of you? An "Anything that suits you" dress code?

IMHO, dress codes create structure and decorum.

Hey Don,

Last I saw your post "you were retiring from the CC boards." Glad to see you are back. Our past two cruises were not on Celebrity, so I have been away from these boards for a bit. However, we are doing the Reflection in December and was interested in this post. On our last few Celebriy cruise, the dress code, even on formal nite, was less dressy then in the past. We found that we stood out being dressed more formally and my DH stopped wearing a tux and has been wearing a suit. In the past, if we did a specialty restaurant on formal nite, we would adhere to the formal dress code. So from what I gather, even though it is only required in the MDR, are more people dressing more casually on formal nights and going to the specialty restaurants? This was the policy on our cruise in December 2010, but I am wondering if people are dressing down more and more.

Thanks

Barb

Hi Barb:

People are still dressing up in the Specialty restaurants however many are also opting to dress "smart casual" on the formal nights. It eliminates for them bringing any formal clothes and still staying within the dress code. Same is being done in Blu. Choice of course is up to the individual.

The above is simply to show that some venues/organistaions still have standards that are strictly applied. During the entire Queen's Jubilee Events, guests in designated areas and seating dressed as requested. Not a stitch of denim in sight. Not even at the open air concert.

It's called respect and conforming, as opposed to trying to be clever and different...... just a thought :rolleyes:

The above is simply to show that some venues/organistaions still have standards that are strictly applied. During the entire Queen's Jubilee Events, guests in designated areas and seating dressed as requested. Not a stitch of denim in sight. Not even at the open air concert.

It's called respect and conforming, as opposed to trying to be clever and different...... just a thought :rolleyes:

Respect. What a concept. Too bad there's so little of it in today's world.

I must admit that Brits really know how to do celebrations. I've also noticed that cruises out of Great Britain have a much larger portion of people in very formal attire. Many tuxes were seen. It was a pleasure cruising with such nicely dressed folks!

I have the same problem. I will wear a flat leather sandal, nothing fancy. Flip flops to me are made out of rubber, and float,lol!

Have a great time.

Archived