Dining room attire policy

silkhair1

The descriptions of formal nights in the first post make me sad.

I just bought a flormal ball gown for myself and a tux for my son for our upcoming Alaksa cruise.

Oh well, our photos will look amazing and hopefully those who decide to dine in PJs will feel foolish.

Are passengers who abhor the present Formal Dress code hoping that if they complain loud enough, the code will be changed?

It worked for those of us who wanted smoking policies changed.;)

After seeing what people were wearing for dinner the first night on the Equinox Eastern Mediterranean cruise of May 21, we were worried that we would be overdressed for formal night. We were pleasantly surprised though, seeing so many couples dressed in real nice evening attire. We stayed at the martini bar for a long time just enjoying the parade. On the other hand, it seems that a lot of people feel that when going on vacation they must bring the worst clothing they can find in their closets. It is not only that they don't wear shoes or regular pants, it seems everybody is colorblind!:eek: Dark brown and grey were the "colors" seen most. What happened to fresh colorful summer clothing? Is this a reflection of people's mood? Uggh.

This is our first cruise and by many of these posts, may be our last. We are cruising to Alaska to SEE Alaska! Our clothing priorities are for the wonderful excursions on land. We will be "smart casual" without denim every night but no gowns, tuxes, suits etc. We are in Blu so there should be no issues with this. I am increasingly amazed at how passionate people are about the dress code on a cruise. It's positively the last thing I even considered when booking.

After seeing what people were wearing for dinner the first night on the Equinox Eastern Mediterranean cruise of May 21, we were worried that we would be overdressed for formal night. We were pleasantly surprised though, seeing so many couples dressed in real nice evening attire. We stayed at the martini bar for a long time just enjoying the parade. On the other hand, it seems that a lot of people feel that when going on vacation they must bring the worst clothing they can find in their closets. It is not only that they don't wear shoes or regular pants, it seems everybody is colorblind!:eek: Dark brown and grey were the "colors" seen most. What happened to fresh colorful summer clothing? Is this a reflection of people's mood? Uggh.

As said by others you really can't judge based on first night observations. Passengers arrive late, bags arrive late, staff is in a rush. You need to wait for the second night to measure the crowd. I might be a bit guilty of your "worst clothing" comment. I tend to take older clothes on an Eastbound TA and dispose of them prior to packing for my flight home.I also tend to cruise for a month at a time so clothes can look less fresh by the end of the cruise.

This is our first cruise and by many of these posts, may be our last. We are cruising to Alaska to SEE Alaska! Our clothing priorities are for the wonderful excursions on land. We will be "smart casual" without denim every night but no gowns, tuxes, suits etc. We are in Blu so there should be no issues with this. I am increasingly amazed at how passionate people are about the dress code on a cruise. It's positively the last thing I even considered when booking.

What is said here and what you actually experience on the ship are sometimes quite different. If you are in Blu, you never need a sports jacket/blazer...just a nice clean shirt (most wear a long or short sleeved shirt with buttons rather than a golf type shirt) and some non jeans pants.

It is highly unlikely that you will run into the "formal police" that sometimes post here.

We cruise fairly often, almost always in Aqua and I haven't taken a sports jacket/blazer with me in two or three years. It's not needed in the specialty restaurants or Blu. I do take at least one pair of nicer pants and some non golf type shirts with buttons for dinners.

It worked for those of us who wanted smoking policies changed.;)

I don't think the smoking policy was changed just for the heck of it. If everybody is happy the lines would have no motivation to change. On our first cruise the dinning room didn't even have a non smoking section, just non smoking tables. If people didn't complain it would still be that way.

A few years ago you couldn't walk through the Cova Cafe at night on the Mercury, it was full of officers and staff smoking heavily. It ruined it for the non-smokers.

The same is true for the hours of the Elite happy hour. Those that wanted moved from late afternoon to early evening spoke up. I'm not going to use the word complain, requested would be much more accurate.

I think the dress code has changed over the years. We did a Crystal Cruise in December, and we found that the dress code was not as dressy as I had expected. I live outside of Philly and find that even in the city, no one seems to get dressed for dinner anymore.

Barb

The descriptions of formal nights in the first post make me sad.

I just bought a flormal ball gown for myself and a tux for my son for our upcoming Alaksa cruise.

Oh well, our photos will look amazing and hopefully those who decide to dine in PJs will feel foolish.

If you want to dress formal, then do so! If it's formal night, I will be in a tux. My first and thrid cruises I did not wear one. (The first because I brought a suit; the third because we had other plans for formal night.)

On my upcoming Alaskan cruise, I just plan on bringing a jacket and a couple of dress shirts and slacks. For my February cruise, I definitely plan on renting a tux. What others wear on formal nights is their choice. Personally, I like dressing up when I get the opportunity. If I stand out because I am dressed up, I'm fine with that! :)

Since this is your first , you haven't lived the cruise experience. While of course the itinery is very important, a cruise is more then going sightseeing. It is a vacation in every sense of the word. You have wonderful food, entertainment and all of the amenties to pleasure your senses. You can do as little or as much as you want to- but it is somewhat structured.

Cruise do not work for everyone. When my sister and her husband travelled to Alaska, they did not want any structure-they just wanted to enjoy and spend as much time at each location as they could. Didn't care at all about the food, dresscode, shows, etc. So for them, a land only vacation worked best. They did their own thing.

Many people feel that they like the cruise experience, that includes some restrictions and rules- some people feel that dressing up is part of that experience.

Not everyone will agree, but that is what makes the world go round. I am sure that you will enjoy the cruise.

What is said here and what you actually experience on the ship are sometimes quite different. If you are in Blu, you never need a sports jacket/blazer...just a nice clean shirt (most wear a long or short sleeved shirt with buttons rather than a golf type shirt) and some non jeans pants.

It is highly unlikely that you will run into the "formal police" that sometimes post here.

We cruise fairly often, almost always in Aqua and I haven't taken a sports jacket/blazer with me in two or three years. It's not needed in the specialty restaurants or Blu. I do take at least one pair of nicer pants and some non golf type shirts with buttons for dinners.

Jeans were removed from the prohibited list last year, they are perfectly acceptable in Blu, Specialty restaurants and MDR on non formal nights...

Please do not pre-judge the cruise by these boards. You will love it and there will not be clothing police on board (only on these boards). Your smart casual will be fine, and you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

Please enjoy!!

We do not take umbrage at those who lack sufficient class to follow the dress code, we simply ignore them.

I don't disagree with you but I do have one question. How do you ignore them if they are at the same table as you?

We started traveling in AQ so we could go to Blu to avoid the issue and also used My Time Dining with a table for 2 on RCL. Maybe you do the same thing?

I don't disagree with you but I do have one question. How do you ignore them if they are at the same table as you?

We started traveling in AQ so we could go to Blu to avoid the issue and also used My Time Dining with a table for 2 on RCL. Maybe you do the same thing?

I have been on Blu on three occassions- on different ships. Each time I did notice people dressed the same as in all of the dining venues of the ship- except the buffet for dinner- Why do some people think that Blu, which I believe is more formal, is casual? This wasn't my experience on celebrity. Have things changed since January 2012 which was my latest Equinox (blu diningroom )sailing? In addition if you sit at a table for two in Blu, you are only about one foot to 18" away from the couple next to you.

I have been on Blu on three occassions- on different ships. Each time I did notice people dressed the same as in all of the dining venues of the ship- except the buffet for dinner- Why do some people think that Blu, which I believe is more formal, is casual? This wasn't my experience on celebrity. Have things changed since January 2012 which was my latest Equinox (blu diningroom )sailing?

We have found that people in Blu always dress well and that is why we like it. Plus, the tables for 2 gives us the opportunity to only worry about ourselves.

This analogy totally escapes me. The smoking issue impacted passenger's health status.

Do you really think they changed the policy for our health?

The cruise lines are corporations and their only goal is to make money, if people want smoking on ships, there will be smoking on ships. Other lines are still wrestling the issue. The best fights on the HAL board are the smoking ones. HAL is very smoking friendly compared to Celebrity, but they are also getting tougher on it. Too tough for smokers and not tight enough for the non-smokers.

If people want less formality on ships, they will get it. When we took our first Celebrity cruise there we just a couple of causal nights, otherwise it was jacket and tie on semi-formal and suit or tux on the formal nights. There were not alot of other options for eating back then either :)

Like all successful companies, they must give the customer what they want.

Since this is your first , you haven't lived the cruise experience. While of course the itinery is very important, a cruise is more then going sightseeing. It is a vacation in every sense of the word. You have wonderful food, entertainment and all of the amenties to pleasure your senses. You can do as little or as much as you want to- but it is somewhat structured.

Cruise do not work for everyone. When my sister and her husband travelled to Alaska, they did not want any structure-they just wanted to enjoy and spend as much time at each location as they could. Didn't care at all about the food, dresscode, shows, etc. So for them, a land only vacation worked best. They did their own thing.

Many people feel that they like the cruise experience, that includes some restrictions and rules- some people feel that dressing up is part of that experience.

Not everyone will agree, but that is what makes the world go round. I am sure that you will enjoy the cruise.

Couldn't agree more with the above post. I'd also like to add that not all cruise lines are the same; some are much more casual (NCL), and others are much more formal (Cunard). There's something for everyone, so in addition to itinerary and price my advice is to research what the general feel on board will be, and pick the cruise line that best suits your lifestyle and what you want to get out of your vacation.

I have been on Blu on three occassions- on different ships. Each time I did notice people dressed the same as in all of the dining venues of the ship- except the buffet for dinner- Why do some people think that Blu, which I believe is more formal, is casual? This wasn't my experience on celebrity. Have things changed since January 2012 which was my latest Equinox (blu diningroom )sailing? In addition if you sit at a table for two in Blu, you are only about one foot to 18" away from the couple next to you.

I think people believe it is more casual because the dress code is more relaxed. The dress code is smart causual every night in Blu. On our last cruise, we saw a couple tuxes in Blu, and them some men in suits, and some in shirts and slacks only. It was a real combo, everyone looked nice, and everyone was following the dress code.

Please do not pre-judge the cruise by these boards. You will love it and there will not be clothing police on board (only on these boards). Your smart casual will be fine, and you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

Please enjoy!!

Actually they are on board, I ran into one on my last cruise. Edited version:

I had select seating, ate early, wore suit on formal night, went to show in suit. After show wife went to bed and I changed into shorts & regular shirt to head up to the aft bar for a night cap. I ran into a very nicely dressed couple on the elevator and the lady says to me;

"I guess you couldn't be convinced to get dressed up tonight?"

I didn't waste my time explaining it to her, I let her believe what she wanted to believe.

So yes, those people do exist on the ship, don't think for a minute they don't.

Actually they are on board, I ran into one on my last cruise. Edited version:

I had select seating, ate early, wore suit on formal night, went to show in suit. After show wife went to bed and I changed into shorts & regular shirt to head up to the aft bar for a night cap. I ran into a very nicely dressed couple on the elevator and the lady says to me;

"I guess you couldn't be convinced to get dressed up tonight?"

I didn't waste my time explaining it to her, I let her believe what she wanted to believe.

So yes, those people do exist on the ship, don't think for a minute they don't.

Wow, usually I think of a quick comeback way to late (so much for quick comebacks!), but after reading your post, I immediately thought of a few real zingers! You showed a great deal of class letting that very classless comment go.

Den

Blu is "smart casual" every night as well as all the specialty restaurants. Many people are dressing that way so as not to bring formal clothes. All you need to do is read these boards when people ask questions..

This is the Specialty restaurants dress code which includes Blu. Therefore whatever you say is your opinion not Celebrity policy.. It has been that way for at least a year.

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass® guests, is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&faqSubjectId=55

Why do people think that Blu is casual? Because it is stated that way on Celebrity's website! One of the main reasons we booked Aqua Class.

Archived