Tipping in Specialty Restaurants

What exactly is the rule of thumb here? If I pay $20 or $30pp for a specialty restaurant, what should I tip? I've heard so many different ideas. In the past, we have had gratuity already added for alcohol, so we just figure approximately how much this meal would have cost, and gone from there. That might be giving a $30 tip on top of everything else, is this wrong? I've also heard that the surcharge INCLUDES the tip, but that just doesn't sound right? Any help would be great!

On another board I was reading it says the tip was included. However, after eating such a nice meal in Chops, we left $25 just because we felt they went above and beyond. Not sure what others do or if it is really included.

So funny, right after I posted this, I pulled up Facebook and found something from DCL about gratuities and it says that it is INCLUDED in the surcharge for Palo. This just makes no sense - how much of that $20 do they get? And DCL is just "offering" us the finer meal for free? Weird......

On another board I was reading it says the tip was included. However, after eating such a nice meal in Chops, we left $25 just because we felt they went above and beyond. Not sure what others do or if it is really included.

We do that too- the standard tip isn't what we would normally tip in a restaurant like Chops or Portifino, so we make up for it.

that being said, I *thought* that the tip was shown on the bill you sign. Being that we will be dining in Chops in a couple of weeks, I will check. Being that I add to the tip to bring it to what I want, I'm pretty sure the actual tip amount is itemized in the bill- just like it is for all bar service.

*<* Back to*Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage

Print This Page

Q:* Are gratuities included in the dining packages?

A:* Yes, gratuities are included in all specialty restaurant cover charges and dining packages. Beverages ordered while dining will be charged additional gratuities.

My understanding is that there is no expectation (at least on the part of RCCL:)) for a tip in the specialty restaurants. I don't know if the servers share in the general tips or are compensated in part from the additional charge for dining.

All but one time, we have had outstanding service so have typically left a tip on top of the surcharge. But that's a personal choice and I'm sure there are those who do not.

While it pretty much remains unclear as to how much of the surcharge is applied as a tip. It is very clear and stated several places that the tip is provided to the staff from the service charge. The entire service charge is not, as some will state, the tip.

I figured that the staff in the specialty restaurants gets paid a higher wage than other staff plus the part of the service charge. However I gave anywhere from $5-10 extra for two of us at the specialties. I based that off of there being one server and the recommended amount for the main dining room staff per person per day is $3.75 for the head waiter.

We always leave an extra $10 for the 2 of us when we sign our slip for the specialty restaurant. If we eat in the same restaurant (say Portofino's) alot all week, we will give the waiter and asst an envelope at the end of the week. (Our experience has been the maitre'd gives us the same table each time so thats easy to do)

We typically leave $10-20 extra depending on the service. I'm thinking a very small percentage of the upcharge constitutes the tip as most goes to the additional cost of ingredients used.

DH and I actually asked our waiter at Chops about the tips. He explained it like this:

1. Yes, the gratiuity is included in the charge that is paid for the restaurant.

2. However, if you receive service above/beyond any additional tip is very much appreciated by the waiter/waitress.

3. With that being said... if you choose to tip above and beyond if you tip in cash the tip went directly to your personal waiter/waitress. If you tip on your seapass card the tip was split amongst all of the waiters/waitresses.

So if you appreciate your waiter/waitress tip them directly with cash.

The actual FOOD is included in your fare...the surcharge is the tip! So, if your surcharge is $60 (for 2), then the bill for FOOD ONLY would have to be $300 (based on a 20% tip)...remember, any drinks are additional and have the tips added. So, your surcharge is MORE than ample to cover the tips. A similar meal in a landbased restaurant without drinks would never come to $300!!!

Leave more if you wish, but the surcharge covers it admirably!

Now I feel cheap :o. I'm usually a very good tipper and add on to the suggested amount, but I never thought about leaving cash at specialty restaurants because it always says tip is included. I guess I will add a little bit from now on!

Now I feel cheap :o. I'm usually a very good tipper and add on to the suggested amount, but I never thought about leaving cash at specialty restaurants because it always says tip is included. I guess I will add a little bit from now on!

You shouldn't (feel cheap). You aren't "expected" to tip in specialty restaurants. The fact that some do doesn't mean everyone must or even should. Although we usually do, in one case, our service was perfunctory (no issues, but not special in any way) and we didn't tip. And we didn't feel badly about it.

This, BTW, is part of the problem with the idea of adding tips to the cruise fare. Many Americans at least (due to our culture) will still feel the need to tip for good service. And then others will feel guilty about not tipping even though there's a "no tipping policy" and pretty soon, we're paying more for a cruise AND "expected" to tip. But I digress . . . :rolleyes:

The actual FOOD is included in your fare...the surcharge is the tip!

Wrong info...again. Why do you continue to post this? Only part of the surcharge is the tip. The entire surcharge is not the tip. Stop posting bad information.

Wrong info...again. Why do you continue to post this? Only part of the surcharge is the tip. The entire surcharge is not the tip. Stop posting bad information.

I'm starting to think that cb is trying to grind our gears.

However I gave anywhere from $5-10 extra for two of us at the specialties. I based that off of there being one server and the recommended amount for the main dining room staff per person per day is $3.75 for the head waiter.

If someone is looking for an actual amount, I think that is pretty reasonable.

Although head waiter gets .75cents pp per day. I think asst. gets 2.50 and waiter gets 3.50. So tipping anywhere around $5 extra pp in specialty is very generous. I've left around that, and I've left less. I've never left anything like $10pp.

The way it was explained to me by the wait staff is:

If you put the tip on the bill, the tip is shared by all the wait staff. If you want the tip to go to only one or two servers, give them folding money for themselves. That is the only way that they can insure receiving the tip. Same with the bartenders. If you want your favorite bartender to have over and above the 15% gratuity, put the money in their hand.

:)

The way it was explained to me by the wait staff is:

If you put the tip on the bill, the tip is shared by all the wait staff. If you want the tip to go to only one or two servers, give them folding money for themselves. That is the only way that they can insure receiving the tip. Same with the bartenders. If you want your favorite bartender to have over and above the 15% gratuity, put the money in their hand.

:)

How do we make sure the chef gets some of the tip? :D

I'm starting to think that cb is trying to grind our gears.

I think you may be right. No one could be so stupid as to think one could get a Chops steak for $14.99 in the MDR yet have it included in Chops except for a larger gratuity. Duh. Personally, I don't believe she has ever actually eaten in a specialty restaurant.

The actual FOOD is included in your fare...the surcharge is the tip! So, if your surcharge is $60 (for 2), then the bill for FOOD ONLY would have to be $300 (based on a 20% tip)...remember, any drinks are additional and have the tips added. So, your surcharge is MORE than ample to cover the tips. A similar meal in a landbased restaurant without drinks would never come to $300!!!

Leave more if you wish, but the surcharge covers it admirably!

UNBELIEVABLE

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived