Does HAL still Issue Boarding Numbers?

kc320

It has been almost 10 years since my one & only Hal cruise & at that time they issued boarding number's prior to check in...after check in we then had to wait in a large room for about 1-1/2 hours before boarding began at 1:00...is boarding still done this way? I am used to cruising RCCL where once boarding begins everyone boards as they check in...

Boarding in Vancouver begins at 11:30. No numbers are used and

passengers are boarded in order of their arrival to check-in. The

big plus for HAL is that rooms are ready at embarkation.

JC

Dang! I would be sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale & it sounds like they still issue boarding numbers...oh well...will just take a book along & hope for the best...

My feeling is that boarding numbers, or lack thereof, depends on circumstances.

Last April, boarding the Maasdam in Fort Lauderdale, I arrived at the pier around 12:30. I walked in, filled out the health questions, then walked directly to check in, then onto the ship. No wait at all at any step. No number was given or needed.

December 2010 the Zuiderdam in Fort Lauderdale was late arriving and there was a rather long line waiting for processing to start at around 2pm. Once that line started moving, everything went smoothly. I don't know if those at the front of the line got a number and had to wait to board, but those further back boarded immediately after processing.

December 2009 We arrived early for the Ryndam in Tampa. The room was rather full, but numbers were being called. I went to one check in window while traveling companions went to another. I was given a boarding number and while completing check in an announcement was made that numbers were no longer required, and my companions were not given a number.

Dang! I would be sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale & it sounds like they still issue boarding numbers...oh well...will just take a book along & hope for the best...

Sometimes yes & sometimes no..We usually travel with Friends & leave home about 9 a.m...We arrive at the port around 11:30..Our DH's drop us off with the bags & go to return the rented van..As soon as they get back to the port, we check-in which probably is around 12:15 to 12:30..Last few times we did not have to wait, just boarded immediately as they usually begin boarding around 11:30..

If you do get a number the wait is not very long..

Cheers...Betty

We just cruised out of Seattle on the Amsterdam....we weren't issued any number to board...we just showed up around 11 a.m., made our way to the sign-in desk, waited with everyone else until about 11:30. They opened the doors, boarded folks with disabilities and those in suites and everyone else just got in line...

We arrived at the Port Everglades terminal about 10:30 to 11 for our January cruise and were given numbers. Boarded a short time later.

On the other hand, in May, we arrived at the Manhattan Terminal about 12:30 (on the Homeport Bus) so boarded immediately upon checking in...w/o a number.

Perhaps it depends upon how many are there when you arrive...similar to a restaurant when you can walk right in if there aren't a lot of folks waiting; or you're given a beeper if there are!

Boarding begins in the 11-1130 range. Yes, numbers are still issued in the order you entered the terminal.

Strange I don;t recall ever getting a boarding number for our RSVP charter cruises on HAL. Then again, I have never made it there at 11:30 am but have been there shortly afterwards.

Boarding begins in the 11-1130 range. Yes, numbers are still issued in the order you entered the terminal.

Of course, Suite passengers and PS passengers may board at their leisure.

what I thought was a little strage is Veendam has only has 1 Penthouse and it had its own special line

Archived