No Jacket? - Formal Night - Med Cruise

Samantha781

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be cruising the Mediterranean on the Equinox on July 2nd. We are trying to pack as minimalistic as possible since its a 2 week vacation.

Can my husband wear a dress shirt,tie and dress pants to the Main Dining Room on formal night? Will he be turned away for not wearing a jacket??

thanks!

Samantha

If he does, and assuming they let him in...he will certainly feel out of place. At the very least it is nice to at least have a blazer. One alternative would be to eat dinner in the Lido buffet on formal nights. As a guy who will also be flying to Europe for a couple of cruises in the next few months I do have a question about your logic. We are all wrestling with airline luggage rules....but it is always possible to take a blazer or suit jacket and wear it as a carry-on on the flight.

Hank

Unfortunately Celebrity has been inconsistent in their enforcement of the formal night dress code. A year or two ago it seemed enforcement was very lax, but even then there were some reports of those not in appropriate attire being turned away from the main dining room on formal night. More recently posts here on cruise critic indicate a greater likelihood of being turned away, or being offered an ill fitting used jacket to wear in order to obtain entrance. Of course in the same threads that indicate this experience you'll find some reports of those wearing full formal attire who complain about someone at the next table in a t-shirt.

The bottom line is that your husband may or may not be allowed in without a jacket. You can always take a chance if being refused entry wouldn't bother you. But if you want to be certain of not being turned away then bring one or plan alternative dining on formal nights. There are various alternatives on board, including all of the specialty restaurants, where the formal dress code does not apply those evenings.

Personally, my recommendation would be to follow the dress code. Formal night is a great time to get dressed up and the majority of men will be wearing either a tux or dark suit and he'd feel most comfortable wearing one of those. However, there will be others with just a nice blazer or sport jacket and tie and I've never heard of anyone being turned away if they wear that at a minimum. Why not follow the dress code of the cruise you've chosen?

Edited by Lsimon

Unfortunately Celebrity has been inconsistent in their enforcement of the formal night dress code. A year or two ago it seemed enforcement was very lax, but even then there were some reports of those not in appropriate attire being turned away from the main dining room on formal night. More recently posts here on cruise critic indicate a greater likelihood of being turned away, or being offered an ill fitting used jacket to wear in order to obtain entrance. Of course in the same threads that indicate this experience you'll find some reports of those wearing full formal attire who complain about someone at the next table in a t-shirt.

The bottom line is that your husband may or may not be allowed in without a jacket. You can always take a chance if being refused entry wouldn't bother you. But if you want to be certain of not being turned away then bring one or plan alternative dining on formal nights. There are various alternatives on board, including all of the specialty restaurants, where the formal dress code does not apply those evenings.

Personally, my recommendation would be to follow the dress code. Formal night is a great time to get dressed up and the majority of men will be wearing either a tux or dark suit and he'd feel most comfortable wearing one of those. However, there will be others with just a nice blazer or sport jacket and tie and I've never heard of anyone being turned away if they wear that at a minimum. Why not follow the dress code of the cruise you've chosen?

Ditto:D

My 24 year old son travels around Europe with his blue blazer as an overcoat. He wears it with a t-shirt and shorts for a cool casual look and then at dinner with a shirt and tie. Everyone going to Europe should take a jacket or a heavy sweater for cool nights. So have your husband wear his blazer on the plane. They are great because they have inside pockets for storing his money and credit cards. Then he is set. He also needs something to put on you for your evening strolls around the deck.

I packed my 11 year old a sport coat, shirt and two ties for our upcoming cruise. If he decides that he doesn't want to do formal night that's ok but if he wants Lobster on formal night- he'll need his jacket.

Just bring the dang thing.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be cruising the Mediterranean on the Equinox on July 2nd. We are trying to pack as minimalistic as possible since its a 2 week vacation.

Can my husband wear a dress shirt,tie and dress pants to the Main Dining Room on formal night? Will he be turned away for not wearing a jacket??

thanks!

Samantha

He may or may not be turned away. If he is okay with a jacket that they might give him to wear, then problem solved. Apparently men will take the jacket and hang it on the back of their chair.

Otherwise have him take one, or schedule dinner in a specialty restaurant, where the dress code is always "smart casual".

I think having the waiter arrive with a jacket (as happened at our table and it wasn't even Europe) would be worse than getting turned away at the door. Pack the jacket, or take it as carry on over your arm.

Hi Everyone,

thanks!

Samantha

Here we go again, there are so many threads on this topic.

The short answer is Yes, and maybe. Have a great cruise.:D

You will be ok w/o a jacket. They will give you one to drape on the back of your chair. When done eating just give it back

You must have a jacket to enter just don't have to wear it

The have the spare jackets right by the entrance.

Was great to not have to pack it and still enjoy formal nights

I understand the propblem with aircraft luggage limits, however the easy way around this is to pay for the extra luggage. If you pre-pay for extra luggage it is cheaper and saves the problems of 'shall I take this, shall I take that, or rushing to the bathroom scales to check the luggage weight.

Enjoy your upcoming cruises...

rgds

You will be ok w/o a jacket. They will give you one to drape on the back of your chair. When done eating just give it back

Really bad advice that I would discount.

Larry has it right.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

By the time you pay, at the least, $50 for admission to a Specialty restaurant...you might as well pay for one extra suitcase!

Personally, I don't know how we could have gone on Equinox for 11 nights with just a carryon. We packed more than we needed but you will definitely need lots of shirts and shorts/pants/skirts for your port days. It gets REALLY hot and you will sweat A LOT! And washing things out in the sink works but at some point I'd rather have clean clothes.

And, BTW, my hubby and son took tuxes for formal nights even though we were in Blu. Hubby hates to dress up and told me on the second formal night that he was so glad that I made him bring the tux as he thought it really added to the experience.

Agree with most of what has been posted so far - it's a gamble, depending on the Maître D' at the door. I also find that it could be considered slightly disrespectful to other cruisemates who follow the dress code.

Another suggestion if luggage space is tight would be to rent a tux or jacket. I've rented from Cruiseline Formals a few times and loved it. On embarkation day, your tux is delivered to your room. On the last day of the cruise, simply leave it in the cabin closet. If your husband is already bringing dress pants and shirt, you could simply rent a jacket.

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

Have a great cruise!

Cheers,

Luc

Just wonder, what is the max weight of allowed luggage, travelling from the US, Canada or Australia to Europe?

Travelling from Europe to US we are (almost always) allowed one piece of 23 kg each and one piece handluggage each. For a 14 day vacation that's more than enough (yes, we take a jacket, a tux, 3 cocktaildresses).

So, I just wonder :confused:

Just wonder, what is the max weight of allowed luggage, travelling from the US, Canada or Australia to Europe?

Travelling from Europe to US we are (almost always) allowed one piece of 23 kg each and one piece handluggage each. For a 14 day vacation that's more than enough (yes, we take a jacket, a tux, 3 cocktaildresses).

So, I just wonder :confused:

From the US 50 lbs is the limit. My suitcase weighs around 17 lbs empty. Last week I was in the Dominican Republic, packed summer clothes for 7 days and toiletries and bag weighed 47 lbs. I am very nervous about 13 days in Alaska with fleece, coats, jeans, sweaters, two pairs of tennies for rain etc. I would much rather take this stuff than formal wear.

From the US 50 lbs is the limit. My suitcase weighs around 17 lbs empty. Last week I was in the Dominican Republic, packed summer clothes for 7 days and toiletries and bag weighed 47 lbs. I am very nervous about 13 days in Alaska with fleece, coats, jeans, sweaters, two pairs of tennies for rain etc. I would much rather take this stuff than formal wear.

That is one heavy bag, buy a new bag. I have a bag which is around 3.5kgs empty (8lbs in your weight) and my wife has a lighter one.:D

It's FORMAL night- just wear a jacket. Wear it on the plane. This is always what my husband does, and it works out perfectly. Then you won't be aggravated if you do get turned away. Why tempt fate.

That is one heavy bag, buy a new bag. I have a bag which is around 3.5kgs empty (8lbs in your weight) and my wife has a lighter one.:D

I too have a large heavy suitcase that always is close to the max weight so I bought an lighter one that wasn't built as well and it was ripped the first time we used it.(duc tape to the rescue) The heavy one has been all over the world and is still in very good condition. I suspect the other one won't enjoy such longevity.

Really bad advice that I would discount.

Larry has it right.

Phil

We bring formal wear so I really don’t have a dog in this fight BUT...... why is this bad advice? At first glance I thought it was great idea.

Thanks, M

Again, really bad advice, all it takes is once...

Not bad advice, just the truth. We are Elite on X and we do dress formal on Formal Nights. We are just posting what we experienced on the past 2 X cruises in the Med. This subject has been beaten to death. Why not just let it die?