Running into people you know on a ship

We were on Pride of America in Hawaii. We sat down to eat breakfast and a few minutes later, someone walked up and sat down beside me...it was our neighbor from 3 doors down...we saw them everywhere that cruise! The night before my daughter swore she heard someone say her name as we walked back to our room...turned out to be the husband!

My BF and I went on the Mariner a few years back. We went to dinner the first night and my very outgoing BF was introducing himself and me to the dinner table, a family with three teenage children...one of which I taught the previous year in his senior math class. Sigh.

Are you sighing because you got stuck with a former student or sighing because you were enveloped by his hotness? :p

We have run into several old friends on different cruise ships......but the best for me, was in Cancun, when we were invited to a cocktail party at a neighboring resort, and a very kindly old lady.......asked me if I was the "Ricky" from Broadmoor that was in her class.....with people that I won't mention here.........but I said yes, and she got up and hugged me.

She was my preschool teacher, and we stayed in touch until she passed away a couple of years ago!

Now.......that is a "small world"!!:D

Rick

Well, never on a cruise but when I was in Junior High School my Mom and I ran into our next door neighbors (Mother and daughter)...on a random street in Paris. We lived in Houston at the time.

That was weird since our Moms were very close friends.

We were on the Inagural Mariner Cruise from LA in Feb 2009.....Had a young Female Filipino Cocktail server that we friended in the CL.....She was one of the best we ever had......2 years later while walking on to the Rising Tide on the Oasis......she saw Bill and I and we saw her....Not only did she remember our names......She remembered the drinks we ordered.....Perhaps we drink a little too much while Cruising!! :eek:

Mike

Yes, on the Allure, I ran into my sister's in-laws on the promenade. You would think that being on a ship with 6000+ people, the chances are slim to see someone you know. Unreal....

I was on the Allure in May and attended Chef's Table the first night. Only 4 of the 7 couples showed up so besides my fiancée and myself, there were only 6 people at the table out of 6,000+ on the ship. One of the women at the table went to high school with me 17 years earlier. I never knew her, but we apparently were in school together for two years. Amazing that out of 310 million Americans, you have 6,000 on one ship, only 8 people in a room having dinner, and two of them have some relevant connection from the past. As they say, "small world."

Once on a ferry I was on to Puget Sound, I saw and greeted an acquaintance I knew from middle school.

Another friend from middle school & I a few decades later (when she lived in NM & I still lived in HI) said she was going to be in DC for a bit in the summer & I said that I & another mutual friend would also be there that summer. Amazingly we ran into her not once but twice when we were in DC for a week!

Last time I was in DC, visiting one of our Congressional offices, I ran into a young woman who went to elementary school with our kids. She's working there while applying for law school.

Not cruise related but a very long time again my husband who was a boat captain was sailing across the Atlantic Ocean and somewhere in the middle there was another boat in distress (don't recall why I believe he needed engine oil)

My husband sails over to him and lo and behold it is someone that he knew when he lived in California. It IS a small world!!!!

I haven't, but my friend was participating in the Quest and was one of the girls that took off their bras (out on the floor in front of everyone I'm assuming), and she worked at a local movie theater. After the cruise, someone came up to her window while she was working and they had recognized her from that!

Also, a man that I work with had been on a cruise and a customer of his recognized him and yelled out, "THAT MAN WORKS AT ______!"

Are you sighing because you got stuck with a former student or sighing because you were enveloped by his hotness? :p

Ha ha!! This student was not always thrilled with my clas. Awkward.

Have you ever been wandering on a ship and run into someone you know from your town?!

I run into people from our town, or metro area on almost every cruise. I like to wear t-shirts that nobody else will be wearing and the frequently are of my home are. Columbus, Ohio area is around 1 million people so its not unusual. I frequently go to the pool or gym in My Columbus Curling Club, or Columbus Marathon shirt, so that will usually get someone to mention they are from Columbus. Frequently we will see someone wearing an OSU shirt which generally results in the greeting exchange, "OH".........and the obligatory, "IO" which can the result in conversations of where you are from.

One time on an Embassy Suites shuttle bus to the Miami port we sat next to a couple who owns the jewelry store 2 blocks from our house. My wife uses that store a lot to get jewelry repaired and recognized the guy. The were going on Carnivore while we board Majesty.

We were in line waiting for an excursion in one of our Australia ports and chatting with a couple of ladies behind us - who were Australian. Usual questions about where everyone was from and I said we lived in Texas now but were originally from Michigan.

One lady said she had a good friend who lives in Lansing, Michigan (and had been to visit her a couple of times) - Lansing is where I grew up. It is a small world.

Spring Break 2001: Standing in a huge crowd of people waiting for excursions in Nassau. Heard a voice call my name, it was one of the nursing students from the hospital I work for.

Same cruise: Waiting in a huge crowd to get off the ship my husband starts chatting with another man in front of us, he worked in the same building as my husband.

TA November 2011: We are on a bus taking us from Rome to the port & discover the couple sitting in front of us are not only from our city but live about 1 1/2 miles from us.:D

Sherri:)

My BF and I went on the Mariner a few years back. We went to dinner the first night and my very outgoing BF was introducing himself and me to the dinner table, a family with three teenage children...one of which I taught the previous year in his senior math class. Sigh.

When we were on the Caribbean Princess in 2008, we ran into our daughters' AP US history teacher. We thought it would be awkward, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. We hung out with them for a few hours at the pool on a few of the days, and every night in one of the lounges. By the end of the cruise, we had become real friends, and even planned to take the same cruise together, as well as some other social functions, again in the future! He offered to write my daughter's college recommendation letter, because he had lots of great ideas after gaining insight outside of the school environment.

I also teach, and we ran into the family of one of my students at LaGuardia airport. We were on our way to Allure, and they were on their way to a Carnival cruise. The flight was delayed, but fortunately we were both flying down a day early. I was nice to have someone to chat with in the airport for the hours that we were waiting.

DW and I like to sit at larger tables so that we can meet new people. A few years ago we were talking with our tablemates only to find out that we go to the same church! (It's a pretty big Church.) Most Sundays now, we see eachother and say hello.

We were in line waiting for an excursion...........

That reminded me of one I had forgot. I do live in a large area now, but I come from a really small town. We were catching a boat back to the pier in Nassau after the Blackbeard's Cay beach break, an excursion shared among the 5 ships in port that day. A guy on the excursion boat recognized me from my highschool. We didn't know each other that well in school but he recognized me after 20 years.

DW and I like to sit at larger tables so that we can meet new people. A few years ago we were talking with our tablemates only to find out that we go to the same church! (It's a pretty big Church.) Most Sundays now, we see eachother and say hello.

Funny how that happens, huh?

This past Saturday night, Tina and I were enjoying a drink at a bar here in Key West. The bartender asked the couple sitting next to us how they enjoyed their cruise. They said they loved it and started talking about the ports. They looked familiar to us, but I thought it was because they were fellow KW locals. Long story short, they were on the same 12 night Mediterranean cruise with us.

It's happened to me more than once...on the Sovereign in 2006 I ran into a guy I used to date years ago in another state, he was with his new wife.

On the Epic for Thanksgiving 2010 I ran into a co-worker and his family.

I've run into people I've met on other cruise ships a couple of times too...it's always a funny experience.

On our Oasis spring break cruise we met a family from a city close to ours. Turns out my husband has worked with their SIL for 10 years. Two days later we're going for dinner. This guy behind us is staring at my husband and I'm thinking "OK what did you do now?". When they called our names, my dd and I proceeeded to our table while my husband stopped to talk to this guy. 30 years meant that he and my husband had both changed, they were best friends in high school but had lost touch. He had looked familiar to me because he now looks exactly like his dad, who was our principal. Turns out this guy and his family live 5 minutes from us. Small world.:)

Over the years we've run into neighbors, students, colleagues, our minister and his wife, the real estate agent who sold us our house, our insurance broker, and even one guy my wife had just fired for incompetence (that was awkward:eek:). I even ran into the bartender from my favorite NY watering hole while at Mardi Gras in NOLA one year (he bought).

I could tell of my own 'small world' event but it did not involve a cruise.

Once, attending a "veterans" gathering abord a Carnival ship I watched two retired sailors come to the realization that they had attended the same high school in a small town in Pennsylvania [two years apart] even dated the same girl, but had never met until that day.

Archived