Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

22 hours ago, lissie said:

Oh no - not my design!  Its Spencer Ogg's weekend bag - I picked it because it matches Air Canada's personal item dimensions - but  I've gotta say that the video which comes iwth the cabin taught me an awful lot about bag making (I've made garments for ever but this was only my 2nd bag). Escape-Pod Travel Collection. PDF Sewing Pattern & Video Tutorial – SpencerOgg I like  the gusset too - depending on materials it makes it MUCH easier to see inside as it holds itself up when empty. 

Thank you for the link to the web site. There are lots of great items that 
I want to make, but I really should finish some of the stuff that I have started......

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, redlady62 said:

I want to make, but I really should finish some of the stuff that I have started......

Yes I really like her designs!  I'm trying hard not to buy more LOL 

On 3/4/2023 at 1:06 PM, redlady62 said:

Let's stack up all our unfinished projects and see who's the worst.  At least the last two times I've cruised through the fabric store I haven't bought anything.  But I haven't finished an old project either.  The benefits of having a 'studio' for painting, sewing and other hobbies are great, but being able to leave things FOREVER is not one of the benefits.  It's just shameful.  I think I'll march out there right now and SEW SOMETHING.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Let's stack up all our unfinished projects and see who's the worst.  At least the last two times I've cruised through the fabric store I haven't bought anything.  But I haven't finished an old project either.  The benefits of having a 'studio' for painting, sewing and other hobbies are great, but being able to leave things FOREVER is not one of the benefits.  It's just shameful.  I think I'll march out there right now and SEW SOMETHING.

Well, at the moment no sewing is happening as DH and myself have volunteered for the Tim Hortons Brier in London, ON 🥌🥌🥌 But the uniform required black pants or jeans, dashed to Fabricland and purchase some black denim and more black thread and made the Jalie 3243 Pull on Pants and shorts. Sorry, no pictures at the moment but they went together fairly easily. As most of my height is in my legs I added an inch at the bottom and if I make them again I would also make the pockets a bit wider and deeper (to hold phone better) 

have a great week,

Sue >M<

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ta Dah! I have images of the Jalie 3243.  It is a challenge to photograph dark coloured items 🤣

B3C34E41-7447-4127-AD66-6B82133B2A89.thumb.jpeg.021d0ca00f321b65070c4fdddf3c15cc.jpeg

The other image is from the final round robin game and one of the volunteer's is a photographer and she has been uploading all of the photos she had been taken during the 10 days of the Tim Hortons Brier.  She has requested that her photos not be cropped and the watermark to stay.... I have no problem with that 💕. The young kids with us are Future Stars of curling and they were hosted by the 'home team' on sheet A. That night it was  Wild Card #3  Karsten Sturmay from Alberta.  The 'kids' each received a team shirt as well as other collectable memorabilia from the team. Watching the team practice prior to the start of the game.

Have a great week every one,

Sue >M<

5589C6AC-DAD7-4101-A012-6BF20C2DFBB5.thumb.jpeg.108beb2f160d588dcb8b82b8fa1f47f6.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 1:36 PM, redlady62 said:

Ta Dah! I have images of the Jalie 3243.  It is a challenge to photograph dark coloured items 🤣

B3C34E41-7447-4127-AD66-6B82133B2A89.thumb.jpeg.021d0ca00f321b65070c4fdddf3c15cc.jpeg

The other image is from the final round robin game and one of the volunteer's is a photographer and she has been uploading all of the photos she had been taken during the 10 days of the Tim Hortons Brier.  She has requested that her photos not be cropped and the watermark to stay.... I have no problem with that 💕. The young kids with us are Future Stars of curling and they were hosted by the 'home team' on sheet A. That night it was  Wild Card #3  Karsten Sturmay from Alberta.  The 'kids' each received a team shirt as well as other collectable memorabilia from the team. Watching the team practice prior to the start of the game.

Have a great week every one,

Sue >M<

5589C6AC-DAD7-4101-A012-6BF20C2DFBB5.thumb.jpeg.108beb2f160d588dcb8b82b8fa1f47f6.jpeg

Did you sew the pants?

16 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Did you sew the pants?

Yes, I did. I will make them again as shorts I think. The pattern would be good for scrub pants as well, the initial reason for the pattern purchase but I never got around to it and now that I am retired I have no need for scrubs. 

2 hours ago, gail-s said:

Has anyone ever come across a pattern for something like the Diane Kroe Wear Ever dress?  It's a jersey dress that has snaps along the long side so you can wear it multiple ways.  I'm tempted to buy one to template it.  

https://dianekroe.com/en-us/collections/wear-ever-skirt-dress

I have not seen this one before.  but years ago one of the other pattern companies had a drees that you could wear many different ways.

On 5/2/2023 at 3:24 PM, gail-s said:

Has anyone ever come across a pattern for something like the Diane Kroe Wear Ever dress?  It's a jersey dress that has snaps along the long side so you can wear it multiple ways.  I'm tempted to buy one to template it.  

https://dianekroe.com/en-us/collections/wear-ever-skirt-dress

I don't know if this will match what you are trying to achieve but Mood Fabric has a free pattern for something similar Infinity Dress  I knew there was something out there 😎 I have not found anything on youtube except ways to style/wear these dresses.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redlady62 said:

I don't know if this will match what you are trying to achieve but Mood Fabric has a free pattern for something similar Infinity Dress  I knew there was something out there 😎 I have not found anything on youtube except ways to style/wear these dresses.  

Thanks! I actually had 2 of those dresses that I never wore and eventually got rid of.  It sounds like a great idea in theory, but I could never make it look good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Christine Jonson has a multi-tie dress that gives options, although not exactly like the dress you posted.

Christine Jonson - Multi-Tie Convertible Dress

If you're able to self-draft, you may be able to make your own. One of the more skilled members of Pattern Review made/posted a self-drafted version:

Alpine Queen Self Drafted Wear-Ever Skirt Dress

• Like 1

A bit more sewing done, just some no show briefs from Green Style Patterns along with their Nora nightgown. The nightgown is made in a polartec fabric that I purchased many, many years ago to make some thermal underwear as well as nightgown... (purchased in 2004!!! Ekk!) and the briefs are made from Chitosante Interlock from Discovery Fabrics.  The fabric did not have the required stretch and I found a blog (How to Choose a size with Negative Ease) that helped with determining what size I should cut in that fabric. I also did cut for the Full Tummy adjustment.  These will be coming along for our July cruise.C219F4A3-FA2A-4F34-9FEC-750B95C7578D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0fb6fbee4a0b1b128fac3c76288e91f8.jpeg7EB29C84-2DAA-4321-A34B-B60C417EE974_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.14ef063d48e652177d994b8c0e5c58cc.jpegE571CC6B-CEEC-4EA4-91F6-E9FF0283530C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4258c0b2ccb4c6c7ddb6704aebb15bc4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 3:26 PM, redlady62 said:

A bit more sewing done, just some no show briefs from Green Style Patterns along with their Nora nightgown. The nightgown is made in a polartec fabric that I purchased many, many years ago to make some thermal underwear as well as nightgown... (purchased in 2004!!! Ekk!) and the briefs are made from Chitosante Interlock from Discovery Fabrics.  The fabric did not have the required stretch and I found a blog (How to Choose a size with Negative Ease) that helped with determining what size I should cut in that fabric. I also did cut for the Full Tummy adjustment.  These will be coming along for our July cruise.C219F4A3-FA2A-4F34-9FEC-750B95C7578D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0fb6fbee4a0b1b128fac3c76288e91f8.jpeg7EB29C84-2DAA-4321-A34B-B60C417EE974_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.14ef063d48e652177d994b8c0e5c58cc.jpegE571CC6B-CEEC-4EA4-91F6-E9FF0283530C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4258c0b2ccb4c6c7ddb6704aebb15bc4.jpeg

You did a wonderful job.  Thanks for sharing your work and the web sites.

• Thanks 1

Help with sergers.  I uses Viking macinies and do have a serger.  But I want one that does a cover stitch and air thread.  The only one that I saw with Viking is Amber air 600.  What do you use for a cover stitch?

On 5/18/2023 at 1:51 PM, geocruiser said:

Help with sergers.  I uses Viking macinies and do have a serger.  But I want one that does a cover stitch and air thread.  The only one that I saw with Viking is Amber air 600.  What do you use for a cover stitch?

I have a Brother CV-3550. It's a coverstitch that also has the option for top coverstitching - like you see on athletic wear. It's a bit finicky and takes some time to master but once you get it, very professional results. The only thing I dislike about the coverstitch is needing so many spools of thread (or winding a bunch of bobbins). 

• 2 weeks later...

I am still looking at machines.  Will wait for a sale to come up.  The viking models, the store does not have them in stock now.  So I can't go look at it..  I will use the surger that I have nw until a good deal comes along.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good day everyone! I was looking/reading something in my emails and came across this link with YouTube video with regards to needle selection for one's sewing project. Thought it may be helpful or give one an 'Ah Ha!' moment.... there are days when sewing the obvious just isn't being obvious 😎

How to choose a sewing machine needle for your project

Have a wonderful week,

Sue >M<

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, redlady62 said:

Good day everyone! I was looking/reading something in my emails and came across this link with YouTube video with regards to needle selection for one's sewing project. Thought it may be helpful or give one an 'Ah Ha!' moment.... there are days when sewing the obvious just isn't being obvious 😎

How to choose a sewing machine needle for your project

Have a wonderful week,

Sue >M<

Needles make such a difference when sewing.  When I first started sewing I did not know the difference.  But once I used the right type of needle with the right fabric, What a difference it made.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

So happy to have found this board. Over half of my clothing I bring on my cruise I've either sewn or knit. I cruise in 2 months to Alaska again and here is my must do list by September 7th:

finish knitting a dress (swim cover up) out of 100% lace weight hemp

finish knitting a hap shawl (very big square shawl) out of 100% tencel laceweight

finish a jumpsuit, Sirocco by Deer and Doe https://shop.deer-and-doe.fr/en/sewing-patterns/122-sirocco-jumpsuit-pdf.html

Finish a linen wrap dress, Elodie by Closet Core https://closetcorepatterns.com/products/elodie-wrap-dress-pattern?variant=39419157512326

Sew another jumpsuit but from a lightweight woven fabric, pattern undecided

Plus fixing my favorite cardigan

• Like 3

On 7/10/2023 at 4:09 PM, SoloAlaska said:

So happy to have found this board. Over half of my clothing I bring on my cruise I've either sewn or knit. I cruise in 2 months to Alaska again and here is my must do list by September 7th:

finish knitting a dress (swim cover up) out of 100% lace weight hemp

finish knitting a hap shawl (very big square shawl) out of 100% tencel laceweight

finish a jumpsuit, Sirocco by Deer and Doe https://shop.deer-and-doe.fr/en/sewing-patterns/122-sirocco-jumpsuit-pdf.html

Finish a linen wrap dress, Elodie by Closet Core https://closetcorepatterns.com/products/elodie-wrap-dress-pattern?variant=39419157512326

Sew another jumpsuit but from a lightweight woven fabric, pattern undecided

Plus fixing my favorite cardigan

WOW, you are doing a lot.  I like the wrap dress.  It seems easy to sew.

10 hours ago, geocruiser said:

WOW, you are doing a lot.  I like the wrap dress.  It seems easy to sew.

It’s my favourite dress, I’m working on my 4th one. It’s such a flexible pattern I’ve done it with the lightest weight silk to a medium weight linen and they are so different one to another.

On 7/14/2023 at 9:11 AM, SoloAlaska said:

It’s my favourite dress, I’m working on my 4th one. It’s such a flexible pattern I’ve done it with the lightest weight silk to a medium weight linen and they are so different one to another.

I want to buy the pattern. But I am confused on the right size to buy.

7 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

7 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I think I found it.  One chart is the finished size and there is another chart based on body measurements  Does it run true to size?.