Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I think I found it.  One chart is the finished size and there is another chart based on body measurements  Does it run true to size?.

It’s really flexible so I would say just follow the body measurements. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good day everyone. Have gotten a bit of sewing done (grammar not so good 🤣) and thought I would share.  I made a Maxi Dress from some fabric that a former client had gifted to me many, many years ago..... Havana Dress - Green Style patterns It is a stable knit type fabric (minimal stretch in either direction) and was not as opaque as I wanted so I purchased some swim lining fabric from my local Fabricland as well as bra/swim strap hardware to make adjustable straps for the dress.IMG_0893.thumb.JPG.d14c73f6aa02ad4779620b3dec5c54b2.JPG

I have a strapless bra that I can wear with this to give a bit of support.  If I make this again will read up about adding a shelf bra to the dress, not crazy about seeing/showing bra straps.

IMG_0891.thumb.JPG.45a02a798e4def4229bd20a80f2ff9b7.JPG

Even played with stitches to use the blind hem for the dress and did a edge stitch for the hem of the lining     IMG_0890.thumb.JPG.c5bd8f2ce26b583c27203427e5850fd1.JPG

I am thinking about bringing it to a wedding we have the end of August and thought to make a matching tie and pocket square for hubby..... not enough fabric to make a tie, but I could make a bow tie? This is a link from Baby Lock for a Bow Tie Tutorial and there are many videos available to learn how to tie one.💕

02D94D9D-F173-4B0D-8288-6FDB3F182476.thumb.jpeg.e2ff1f6673009dd4fa91b01e2287ed97.jpeg

I edgestitched the tie and the pocket square (I stitched two squares of fabric together for the square)

86493A09-6245-4692-BEA4-14ABCBB7F42C.thumb.jpeg.2ce87c9b6c6ce780d0a3a7c0c43dc70e.jpeg 

We will be cruising the Panama Canal this fall and this should squish into the suitcase without any issue 🤣🤣

Have a wonderful weekend,

Sue >M<

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 7:37 PM, redlady62 said:

Good day everyone. Have gotten a bit of sewing done (grammar not so good 🤣) and thought I would share.  I made a Maxi Dress from some fabric that a former client had gifted to me many, many years ago..... Havana Dress - Green Style patterns It is a stable knit type fabric (minimal stretch in either direction) and was not as opaque as I wanted so I purchased some swim lining fabric from my local Fabricland as well as bra/swim strap hardware to make adjustable straps for the dress.IMG_0893.thumb.JPG.d14c73f6aa02ad4779620b3dec5c54b2.JPG

I have a strapless bra that I can wear with this to give a bit of support.  If I make this again will read up about adding a shelf bra to the dress, not crazy about seeing/showing bra straps.

IMG_0891.thumb.JPG.45a02a798e4def4229bd20a80f2ff9b7.JPG

Even played with stitches to use the blind hem for the dress and did a edge stitch for the hem of the lining     IMG_0890.thumb.JPG.c5bd8f2ce26b583c27203427e5850fd1.JPG

I am thinking about bringing it to a wedding we have the end of August and thought to make a matching tie and pocket square for hubby..... not enough fabric to make a tie, but I could make a bow tie? This is a link from Baby Lock for a Bow Tie Tutorial and there are many videos available to learn how to tie one.💕

02D94D9D-F173-4B0D-8288-6FDB3F182476.thumb.jpeg.e2ff1f6673009dd4fa91b01e2287ed97.jpeg

I edgestitched the tie and the pocket square (I stitched two squares of fabric together for the square)

86493A09-6245-4692-BEA4-14ABCBB7F42C.thumb.jpeg.2ce87c9b6c6ce780d0a3a7c0c43dc70e.jpeg 

We will be cruising the Panama Canal this fall and this should squish into the suitcase without any issue 🤣🤣

Have a wonderful weekend,

Sue >M<

It came out really wonderful.  So pretty.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after the lovely wedding, finally convinced hubby to snap a photo of the maxi dress. The lovely lady on the hotel front desk told me that I looked lovely ❤️❤️❤️ I didn’t tell her that it had pockets 🤣

Have a great week everyone one IMG_2067.thumb.jpeg.fd68110ef6d2dd8243bafeb9f5377bc4.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, redlady62 said:

Well, after the lovely wedding, finally convinced hubby to snap a photo of the maxi dress. The lovely lady on the hotel front desk told me that I looked lovely ❤️❤️❤️ I didn’t tell her that it had pockets 🤣

Have a great week everyone one IMG_2067.thumb.jpeg.fd68110ef6d2dd8243bafeb9f5377bc4.jpeg

You look wonderful in your dress.  The pockets are great.  I love the fabric, so easy to pack.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, redlady62 said:

Please share pattern number.

This was the Green Style Patterns Havana Dress , is a PDF pattern.  You can select your currency of choice (in my case CDN) so you don't have to worry about currency exchange with your credit card.  It is packed in the suitcase and ready for departure for our next cruise.  The swimsuit lining made it a bit 'heavy' compared to my other maxi dresses.  

Sue >M<

On 9/24/2023 at 4:27 PM, redlady62 said:

This was the Green Style Patterns Havana Dress , is a PDF pattern.  You can select your currency of choice (in my case CDN) so you don't have to worry about currency exchange with your credit card.  It is packed in the suitcase and ready for departure for our next cruise.  The swimsuit lining made it a bit 'heavy' compared to my other maxi dresses.  

Sue >M<

I have never used a PDF pattern.  Is done by printing it off your computer and taping the pieces together?  It is hard to do?

44 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I have never used a PDF pattern.  Is done by printing it off your computer and taping the pieces together?  It is hard to do?

You have a few options with PDF patterns The first is to print at home and tape together all the pages, you get the pattern right away but it can be challenging when there are many pages. The second option is to send the “file” that is for large format printers to a place that can do that ($taples) for a fee per page. I am still trying to find a reasonably priced source for that near me in Canada. The mentioned business gave an estimate of $80 for two patterns that would be 7 pages total. 

IMG_0155.thumb.jpeg.b467d5954bd47949ee04a27e90475bf4.jpeg

This is what the Havana Dress PDF pattern looks like when I was taping it together. Most important is to make sure that your pattern is printing the correct size, the pattern includes one page that has a square or rectangle that has the size noted.    

8 hours ago, redlady62 said:

IMG_0155.thumb.jpeg.b467d5954bd47949ee04a27e90475bf4.jpeg

This is what the Havana Dress PDF pattern looks like when I was taping it together. Most important is to make sure that your pattern is printing the correct size, the pattern includes one page that has a square or rectangle that has the size noted.    

That seems like a lot of work.  $80. way too much money.  I have been buying my patterns at Joann's, when on sale.  I but them and put them away for when I have time to sew.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2023 at 9:40 PM, geocruiser said:

That seems like a lot of work.  $80. way too much money.  I have been buying my patterns at Joann's, when on sale.  I but them and put them away for when I have time to sew.

On 9/26/2023 at 9:40 PM, geocruiser said:

I agree.  Never used a PDF pattern but way too much trouble to put all the pieces together .   Also buy at Joannes especially when a sale is in progress 

14 hours ago, pedirn said:

I agree.  Never used a PDF pattern but way too much trouble to put all the pieces together .   Also buy at Joannes especially when a sale is in progress 

I would just fine it too much work.  But I wonder if it would be better for pattern adjustments?

Edited by geocruiser

On 9/26/2023 at 8:37 AM, redlady62 said:

You have a few options with PDF patterns The first is to print at home and tape together all the pages, you get the pattern right away but it can be challenging when there are many pages. The second option is to send the “file” that is for large format printers to a place that can do that ($taples) for a fee per page. I am still trying to find a reasonably priced source for that near me in Canada. The mentioned business gave an estimate of $80 for two patterns that would be 7 pages total. 

There are at least a few businesses that print pdf patterns in Canada. I use SewYYC here in Calgary. Deb, the owner, is very quick! Sew YYC

The charge for folded b&w printouts is $5 per page including postage in Canada. It's a bit more for colour or rolled prints. 

When I lived in the States I used PDF Plotting. The trick with PDF Plotting is to send a bunch of patterns for printing at one time because there's a flat rate for printing. It's really expensive to print one pattern, and much more affordable if you print 4 or 5 at a time. PDF Plotting

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

There are at least a few businesses that print pdf patterns in Canada. I use SewYYC here in Calgary. Deb, the owner, is very quick! Sew YYC

The charge for folded b&w printouts is $5 per page including postage in Canada. It's a bit more for colour or rolled prints. 

When I lived in the States I used PDF Plotting. The trick with PDF Plotting is to send a bunch of patterns for printing at one time because there's a flat rate for printing. It's really expensive to print one pattern, and much more affordable if you print 4 or 5 at a time. PDF Plotting

Wow! With postage!

• Like 1

Quick question….I have never used a vogue pattern.    Do they run big, small or true to size.   Last project I used Simplicity and measured size 18 which I made.   It is huge and I should have used a size smaller (now another project to take it in).    Anyone who has used Vogue patters before please advise.

2 hours ago, pedirn said:

Quick question….I have never used a vogue pattern.    Do they run big, small or true to size.   Last project I used Simplicity and measured size 18 which I made.   It is huge and I should have used a size smaller (now another project to take it in).    Anyone who has used Vogue patters before please advise.

There's no standard fit. It depends on the designer. 

Last year I went to a fitting class taught by a Vogue designer (for men) and he explained to us that each designer that Vogue works with, whether that's a name designer like Donna Karan or a standard "Vogue" designer, has their own fit block. I always start with the finished garment measurements that are printed on the pattern pieces AND measure the pattern pieces. Remember that you need wearing ease to move - especially if you're working with a woven fabric. 

Have you searched online for reviews for that particular pattern? If not, maybe start with patternreview.com since they have the biggest number of reviews. 

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

There's no standard fit. It depends on the designer. 

Last year I went to a fitting class taught by a Vogue designer (for men) and he explained to us that each designer that Vogue works with, whether that's a name designer like Donna Karan or a standard "Vogue" designer, has their own fit block. I always start with the finished garment measurements that are printed on the pattern pieces AND measure the pattern pieces. Remember that you need wearing ease to move - especially if you're working with a woven fabric. 

Have you searched online for reviews for that particular pattern? If not, maybe start with patternreview.com since they have the biggest number of reviews. 

Thanks so much.   Will check review site.   I have pinned pattern to fabric but hesitant to cut it out.

• Like 1

Seeking advice on mending a vintage/antique quilt.  (I know, not cruise fashion, but I believe there are some very capable people here!)

I was given a lovely old quilt top, to which I attached a filler and a back.  Just put it on the bed for the season, but in the dark my finger caught at one of the delicate squares and tore it to shreds. Where do I begin to repair or replace it?  Just find a complementary piece of fabric and hand-stitch it on?  Zigzag all over the spot?

I suspect there will be more flaws as winter goes by, but I don't want to stop using it.  I held it in reserve all the years we had cats.

Thank you!

43 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Seeking advice on mending a vintage/antique quilt.  (I know, not cruise fashion, but I believe there are some very capable people here!)

I was given a lovely old quilt top, to which I attached a filler and a back.  Just put it on the bed for the season, but in the dark my finger caught at one of the delicate squares and tore it to shreds. Where do I begin to repair or replace it?  Just find a complementary piece of fabric and hand-stitch it on?  Zigzag all over the spot?

I suspect there will be more flaws as winter goes by, but I don't want to stop using it.  I held it in reserve all the years we had cats.

Thank you!

What you do to repair depends on what you want to do with it in the future. Do you want to maintain it for other generations or use it and love it to death yourself.

Fabric that fragile will continue to fray and shred  in use.

Your choices are as you mentioned, but I prefer the 3 stitch mending stitch to regular zip zag. You may prefer looking for a similar fabric.

I am not a quilt restorer or preservation expert, but have seen some approaches and fixed a 30 year old quilt I made.

I want to mention the importance of quilting on these quilts. My old quilt was made at a time we said quilting 8 inches apart was sufficient. When repairing, I realized that was not close enough. As batting compresses over time, it allows the fabric to shift. That frequent shifting means fibres bend, fray and break. So quilting it 4 inches apart could increase the life of the fabrics.

Another thought is the use of fine wedding veil tulle as an overall cover on the quilt top. It is used in art quilts to keep lots of bits and thread on the surface, and in restoration to stabilize fabrics, but it wouldn't have the same feel on a bed quilt.

There will be YouTube videos to help you prepare new fabric to look a little older. Tea dyes are easy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Thank you!

You might reach out to your local quilt guild for advice. I don't quilt anymore but when I did and belonged to a quilt guild there were always women willing to help with questions like yours.  If you don't have a quilt guild near you, you might try emailing the Austin Area Quilt Guild.  They are large and have a robust guild.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Thank you!

I agree that it depends on how you want to use it. If you want it to look 'perfect' (or as perfect as aged can be) then quilters will be able to help. Another option is to cherish the experience of the quilt and patch it by hand using Sashiko visible mending stitches either with or without a neutral piece of backing underneath. I have some quilting friends in Atlanta who used this process on old family quilts. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Good day all: not your typical sewing for a cruise but you will understand. Leave this weekend for our Northern Lights cruise and hubby suggested that I should bring a tripod (only bring my magic phone as a camera) and we have his dad’s tripod. It’s a bit more compact than my tripod so into the suitcase it goes. But I really should have a bag for it to ease bring with us on excursions. Ta Dah! I literally pulled this idea out of thin air and fabric scraps. Originally planned a draw string closure, but Velcro is what I decided to go with after sewing it up 🤣  I also made a pocket to hold my phone mount for the tripod. IMG_5926.thumb.jpeg.a9790950f96b8f6060d468187cfa5a0f.jpeg

IMG_5925.thumb.jpeg.c38eac2202ad9f99f3f9fac5cdb5258d.jpeg

almost forgot to insert the carrying strap as I was sewing up the side seam IMG_5923.thumb.jpeg.4ba7d8ac09655962a4c2dfc1a93b09f9.jpeg

this fabric is an outdoor fabric that was leftover (1 meter at 150cm wide) from the carrying bag for our portable BBQ for the trailer)

IMG_5928.thumb.jpeg.bcb960116510b4283bea7f5dd7422598.jpeg

sewing in Velcro after everything is done is not the best. Used the 1/4 inch foot as it is the narrowest foot 

• Like 2

That is a nice and very useful carry case.  I made something similar to hold a kite for my husband.  The kite disassembles somewhat but he needed a way to carry it on our last cruise to the Caribbean.  We were going to Puerto Rico, and he had always wanted to fly a kite on the grounds leading to El Moro. So I used some fabric I had lying around and a bit of Velcro, and voila, I had a kite bag.  It worked perfectly and he got to fly his kite at El Moro.

• Like 3