Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I've enjoyed reading all these posts.  I've been sewing since high school ... a necessity because I could never find anything that fit.  I have boxes of fabrics and a whole cupboard full of goodies, called notions I think. 

My style of sewing is to start out gleefully, work away on something forever, then throw it away.  I just don't seem to be able to pay attention to the details.  But every once in a while I manage to make something that I can wear.  Great fun and satisfies my creative urges. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 7:30 PM, mef_57 said:

Not knowing your style or the actual fabric content makes a recommendation a little more difficult.  I can't tell whether it s a chiffon, or stretch fabric?  Either way, I would keep lines simple so that the fabric makes the gown.  With a lot of darts and seams, it can get messy looking. I did a quick look and if this has stretch, consider something like this: https://simplicity.com/new-look/n6717 . New Look N6717 | Misses' Knit Dresses

It has some extra style, enhances a nice bust, and skims a long torso (however, there are many videos and sites to help you learn how to length your patterns to fit to the waist.

FYI.   Just left Joanne’s.   This is a discontinued pattern but they had two left.   Grabbed one for $2.71.    👍.   My fabric is not a knit but very soft so may or may not work.   But I liked pattern anyway so grabbed it.   Thanks for suggesting it.

1 hour ago, pedirn said:

FYI.   Just left Joanne’s.   This is a discontinued pattern but they had two left.   Grabbed one for $2.71.    👍.   My fabric is not a knit but very soft so may or may not work.   But I liked pattern anyway so grabbed it.   Thanks for suggesting it.

You are welcome.  Glad you were able to get a pattern..and what a good price!  May I encourage you to make a couple of adjustments to have more success with a non stretch fabric?...moreso for the main body than the bodice crossover, I suggest you measure the pattern to ensure there is some ease.  3 inches would be minimum and maybe 5 at hips for flow.  You may also want to cut 1 inch side, front and back seams for final fitting.  Cut cross bodice pieces last.  I know you are not a fan of zippers, but a simple centred zipper up the back would adapt for no stretch to fabric. 

I hope you will let us see the final product.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 2:09 PM, redlady62 said:

Good day everyone ! Slowly getting back to sewing. Retired 8 weeks ago and I might just have more ‘time’. Question about bottom holes (I hate them, but did a trial run with snaps and they didn’t stay in the fabric of the test shirt) Did some practice button holes, the first section looks beautiful, bar tack and then go back up and this is where  the stitches are not uniform. Can you direct me to more information for troubleshooting the issue?  Machine is a Kenmore 12 Stitch - my college graduation gift all those years ago.  Thank you E7AAA006-4D57-4B4E-8AFC-623441D111FD.thumb.jpeg.715bcdd65357c46e62aedf90ab6de979.jpegD0A2B1B0-9E1B-4D17-874B-7ACC444490BD.thumb.jpeg.3aa6aced7d1f0f64a182a7b6545ef8d4.jpegfront and back of first attempt 

Front and back of second trial 👇🏻

46F3CC56-A273-4361-9EB0-4F70E21A959B.thumb.jpeg.bd81fef5444ac5a3f1130f1ce0c3a407.jpegBFC222C3-E32F-4DBC-94A4-DFD1350D8704.thumb.jpeg.cd0d856c3a185d53664268d6a6245df6.jpeg

02D48144-722A-4017-BDBB-1A15D406AFCD.jpeg

Would using a stabilizer help?

• Thanks 1

Evening everyone. Had not thought about applying stabilization for the button holes as there was three layers of fabric. The shirt survived washing and I was able to have Jon van Zyle sign it.  Should I do anything to preserve the autograph? Signed using a black sharpie  Still have to take a photo of the signed shirt 🙃2C5739CD-E264-4F23-97B4-CEB853C88583.thumb.jpeg.47b80a5d445981209f7cbc953acf0633.jpegE0B565AF-C4F9-4746-AE36-9580DE7840FB.thumb.jpeg.807c464b9730401507bfdf3312a010da.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, redlady62 said:

Evening everyone. Had not thought about applying stabilization for the button holes as there was three layers of fabric. The shirt survived washing and I was able to have Jon van Zyle sign it.  Should I do anything to preserve the autograph? Signed using a black sharpie  Still have to take a photo of the signed shirt 🙃2C5739CD-E264-4F23-97B4-CEB853C88583.thumb.jpeg.47b80a5d445981209f7cbc953acf0633.jpegE0B565AF-C4F9-4746-AE36-9580DE7840FB.thumb.jpeg.807c464b9730401507bfdf3312a010da.jpeg

The shirt looks great.  I don't know about  preserving the autograph.  It you put anything on it would it take away the value of the autograph, if you were to seel it?

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

The shirt looks great.  I don't know about  preserving the autograph.  It you put anything on it would it take away the value of the autograph, if you were to seel it?

I'd think the autograph might last if you hand-wash the shirt in cold water.  Or take a photo of it, hang it up and just deal with the shirt normally.  It's gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 12:36 PM, jsn55 said:

I'd think the autograph might last if you hand-wash the shirt in cold water.  Or take a photo of it, hang it up and just deal with the shirt normally.  It's gorgeous.

I've always heat set autographs- depends on the fabric the temp you cna use.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, geocruiser said:

What is "Heat set"?

If it is a cotton t-shirt, I use the highest temp and iron over the autograph, not as helpful with polyester, but ironing over the autograph at highest setting for the fabric will set it in...that is why if you have a stained piece of clothing you try to get a stain out of- you do not put it in the dryer as the heat might set the stain....air dry and see if stain is gone...if not re-treat....

Bernadette

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 2:03 PM, BratDet said:

If it is a cotton t-shirt, I use the highest temp and iron over the autograph, not as helpful with polyester, but ironing over the autograph at highest setting for the fabric will set it in...that is why if you have a stained piece of clothing you try to get a stain out of- you do not put it in the dryer as the heat might set the stain....air dry and see if stain is gone...if not re-treat....

Bernadette

Thank you.  I did not know that .

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 9:17 PM, aungrl said:

Congratulations!  Some of these local fair competitions can be fierce.  Nice 1st place ribbon.

Fierce is an understatement! Had former clients who had spreadsheet showing what they had entered, how many entires in each 'class' and the prize payout. I am not that dedicated. I had a total of 6 entries, two in sewing/quilting, two in photography  and two in baking.  There is an $8 "membership fee" to register (if you win enough, the fair holds back $8 for next year's entry.... 😎)  My only other placement was 3rd in the spring blooms photo. 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 4:32 PM, redlady62 said:

Well, I entered the shirt in the local fair last week, and did very well with it.  Hubby will be allowed to wear it again 🤣. I better start sewing for the Galapagos cruise that is coming up!

image.thumb.jpeg.6e054ec62145726abc8ba7c150239439.jpeg

image.jpeg

Happy to hear that you won.  It is a great shirt.  What type of clothing are you going to make for the Galapagos cruise?

41 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Happy to hear that you won.  It is a great shirt.  What type of clothing are you going to make for the Galapagos cruise?

I am currently working on a skort (Jalie Multi-Sport Skort 2796) and if it works well, make it in swimming fabric for a swim bottom, a rash guard (or two) for myself and hubby.  Have fabric from a Canadian store in Campbell River BC.  

On 10/10/2022 at 10:23 AM, geocruiser said:

That is a very nice pattern  I like the side panel.  I did not know about the pattern company Jalie.  I was able to Google it. Nice patterns

Jalie makes a lot of skating patterns, so I have quite a few. I like that they are mulitsized on heavy paper.

• Like 1

I made the purple/lavender-ish top over the summer and wore it on our TA last month. I made the "40" shirt for my daughter's birthday next week. We're going to New Orleans. While I was at it, I went ahead and made a "60" for my upcoming April birthday/cruise.

20220704_184711.jpg

20221016_152819.jpg

20221016_152800.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aungrl said:

Love these!  The birthday shirts are so fun, and the purple top is gorgeous.  Any pics of what you wore it with on the cruise?

I just wore it with black leggings. Nothing fancy.

I also wore it in London with a black skort. Sense a trend here? 🙄😆

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I just brought this pattern.

https://simplicity.com/simplicity/s8955

I want to make it using fleece.  but is not one of the fabrics that they recommend.  what do you think?  The jacket is unlined.  It is not a heavy fleece.

Without knowing what the recommended fabrics are, I'd say that fleece might not adapt well to the details, like the shawl collar.  OTOH, it might be a great success.  

37 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Without knowing what the recommended fabrics are, I'd say that fleece might not adapt well to the details, like the shawl collar.  OTOH, it might be a great success.  

Brocade, pinwale corduroy, crepe, lightweight Demin & gabardine, lightweight twill & lightweight wool types.