Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

5 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I just brought this pattern.

https://simplicity.com/simplicity/s8955

I want to make it using fleece.  but is not one of the fabrics that they recommend.  what do you think?  The jacket is unlined.  It is not a heavy fleece.

I don't sew, but my mom is quite the seamstress.  She said that she wouldn't hesitate to use the fleece if it's a lightweight version.  Her concern was the same as jsn55 with heavy fleece in terms of the collar looking and feeling too bulky.  But lightweight should be fine.

• Like 2

Good day everyone:  my sewing machine had a slight meltdown and was skipping stitches etc..... hubby helped and cleaned it and oiled a few areas (there was very minimal lint and everything looked well oiled) Don't remember how many times I rethreaded and changed needles but I finally have one item finished ! 

Jalie Multi Sport Skort 2796 with Chitosante Interlock from Discovery Fabrics (located in Campbell River BC) for the skort and Power Mesh for the underpants.  The Chitosante doesn't have the required stretch and I think I sized up (one size?) and could feel/hear a couple of stitches 'pop' when trying the finished garment on.  Other option may be just size up the waistband?  Here are some images of the skort

2E2415D5-49C1-4F89-9A1A-D425D3591071.heic2B75E777-5A84-42ED-B070-0D619B346936.heic30071F37-A7B2-4EAC-8E57-75D728C9F9A5.heicB0FFE77D-993D-421A-BF28-D74DADD25027.heicAB7016D0-4A0C-438C-A24E-CF9E7F105229.heic

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 5:51 PM, PurpleHays said:

I almost got this pattern. How did it go together?

It went well together.  I am not a fast at sewing and there was a pause during September and October with vacation/camping and frustration with the machine.  I noted that the waistband seemed no to stretch as much when trying on the skort once finished. Nothing feels squishy or tight. I like the length.  There is a FB page for Jalie Sewing and if you are a customer of Discovery Fabrics there is a 'group page' for those who are addicted to their fabrics.

• Like 1

Ekk! Umm, did any of the photos show up of the skort? If not, I can try reposting them. I should comment that I have not ‘tested’ the pocket for holding phone. What I would do differently for them is the elastic application - don’t cut the length required but mark it on the elastic, leaving a tab at the start to make it easier and then cut the elastic once it is applied. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 9:12 AM, redlady62 said:

Ekk! Umm, did any of the photos show up of the skort? If not, I can try reposting them. I should comment that I have not ‘tested’ the pocket for holding phone. What I would do differently for them is the elastic application - don’t cut the length required but mark it on the elastic, leaving a tab at the start to make it easier and then cut the elastic once it is applied. 

I don't see them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 7:41 PM, jsn55 said:

Y'all have inspired me ... just hauled out a caftan I made out of an YSL sheet for a cruise never taken 3 years ago.  It will be just the thing for our cruise to Hawaii next month.

It sound like it would be prefect for Hawaii. Making it out of a YSl sheet was a great idea.  It will wash and wear well and feel great on.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Good day/evening all:  Purchased a new sewing machine just before Christmas and of course did a whole pile of repairs and mending etc.... This shirt was long sleeve with a roll up and a tab to make it a short sleeve.... it had an incident a few months ago that required a change to short sleeve 🤪  It turned out ok and was packed for our recent trip to the Galapagos.  I wore it the first day I Quito for our city tour.

travel safe everyone,

Sue 

B9A3B2AA-C2C3-4995-9326-8513EA100D0A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 7:11 PM, redlady62 said:

Good day/evening all:  Purchased a new sewing machine just before Christmas and of course did a whole pile of repairs and mending etc.... This shirt was long sleeve with a roll up and a tab to make it a short sleeve.... it had an incident a few months ago that required a change to short sleeve 🤪  It turned out ok and was packed for our recent trip to the Galapagos.  I wore it the first day I Quito for our city tour.

travel safe everyone,

Sue 

B9A3B2AA-C2C3-4995-9326-8513EA100D0A.jpeg

You did a great job.  the sleeves are just the right lenght.

• Thanks 1

Has this happened to any of you?

Today I got out my old sewing machine to hem some shorts and pants.  I hadn't used it for years.  But all the threading patterns came back to me automatically.  Is this proof that something we learn and use while still a pre-teen become part of our muscle memory and never leave?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Today I got out my old sewing machine to hem some shorts and pants.  I hadn't used it for years.  But all the threading patterns came back to me automatically.  Is this proof that something we learn and use while still a pre-teen become part of our muscle memory and never leave?

Yup, except now I have a new machine and I have to practice, practice and then it will become muscle memory. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Sewing machine, yes. Serger, no. It is the bane of my sewing existence. It will be serging along and then just quit working properly.  🤬🤬

On 2/3/2023 at 10:27 AM, shipgeeks said:

I didn't sew clothes for a good 25 years and when I started again, I suddenly remembered how to match plaid. 🤣 The only other time I matched plaid was when I was about 21 and my mom helped me to sew a fit and flare dress with a 6 panel skirt. And everything matched! Definitely brain memory!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 12:27 PM, shipgeeks said:

I love to sew but have not gotten behind my machine in about 10 months, other then to do clothing repairs.  Life has been busy now and I am trying to clear  time to sew.  "Sew," I hope it all come back.  When I get a chance I do watch some sewing videos 

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

I love to sew but have not gotten behind my machine in about 10 months, other then to do clothing repairs.  Life has been busy now and I am trying to clear  time to sew.  "Sew," I hope it all come back.  When I get a chance I do watch some sewing videos 

I find that sewing something new for a trip is a great motivator to get me back at it.  Otherwise, life seems to get in the way far to much.  

5 hours ago, lissie said:

Little bit different - but  its for a cruise - this is sized to  be a personal item on N. America airlines First time using vinyl - it was a bit of a learning curve but I am now thinking what other bags do I need!  

IMG_9568.thumb.JPG.ea1c276279070743a7e69ee6d7b13353.JPG

IMG_9570.JPG

What a beautiful bag.  It is sew much nicer to have a bag that you made.  And it is one of a kind.  No one else will be carrying the same bag!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, PurpleHays said:

I have an upcoming cruise. How many new dresses can I make before then? 🙄🤣 I have fabric for three. . .

You can make them all.  Use a pattern that you know how it will fit and something easy.  You can add details to the dress, to dress them up or down by the amount that you use. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 3:36 AM, lissie said:

Little bit different - but  its for a cruise - this is sized to  be a personal item on N. America airlines First time using vinyl - it was a bit of a learning curve but I am now thinking what other bags do I need!  

IMG_9568.thumb.JPG.ea1c276279070743a7e69ee6d7b13353.JPG

IMG_9570.JPG

Great job. I have been  deliberating  making an underseat bag to maximize the allowed measurements. I like the side phlanges to help keep shape and things from slipping out. Did you design it as well?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Great job. I have been  deliberating  making an underseat bag to maximize the allowed measurements. I like the side phlanges to help keep shape and things from slipping out. Did you design it as well?

Oh no - not my design!  Its Spencer Ogg's weekend bag - I picked it because it matches Air Canada's personal item dimensions - but  I've gotta say that the video which comes iwth the cabin taught me an awful lot about bag making (I've made garments for ever but this was only my 2nd bag). Escape-Pod Travel Collection. PDF Sewing Pattern & Video Tutorial – SpencerOgg I like  the gusset too - depending on materials it makes it MUCH easier to see inside as it holds itself up when empty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lissie said:

Oh no - not my design!  Its Spencer Ogg's weekend bag - I picked it because it matches Air Canada's personal item dimensions - but  I've gotta say that the video which comes iwth the cabin taught me an awful lot about bag making (I've made garments for ever but this was only my 2nd bag). Escape-Pod Travel Collection. PDF Sewing Pattern & Video Tutorial – SpencerOgg I like  the gusset too - depending on materials it makes it MUCH easier to see inside as it holds itself up when empty. 

Thanks for the pattern details. I often fly Air Canada, but our new Canadian budget airlines are only cost-saving if you fly with under seat luggage only. I am taking that as a personal challenge to sew something to get the most out of the measurements allowed. I figure I could manage a summer week-long wardrobe in it. I have sewn forever, quilted maybe half the time, and have a few bags under my belt. I now have a semi-industrial Juki sewing machine which makes them a bit easier.