A question or two

lkdrymom

It has been two years since I have cruised. Leaving on the Veendam this Sunday.

Holland uses prepaid tips.....so do I have to do anything or will they automatically be charged to my account?

Does Holland provide beach towels or are they like Royal and make you put a deposit down on them?

Holland uses prepaid tips.....so do I have to do anything or will they automatically be charged to my account? They will be charged to your account.

Does Holland provide beach towels or are they like Royal and make you put a deposit down on them? They provide them at the gangway, usually. But they have been recording room numbers recently, as the towel loss rate is very high.

See above.

Originally Posted by lkdrymom viewpost.gif

Holland uses prepaid tips.....so do I have to do anything or will they automatically be charged to my account? They will be charged to your account.

Does Holland provide beach towels or are they like Royal and make you put a deposit down on them? They provide them at the gangway, usually. But they have been recording room numbers recently, as the towel loss rate is very high.

To add to that:

The Hotel Service Charge is posted daily to your onboard account.

Since 2008 they have always taken our cabin numbers when taking beach towels off the ship.

Since 2008 they have always taken our cabin numbers when taking beach towels off the ship.

But yet several times when we have brought them back there hasn't been anyone there to record their return! :confused:

Holland uses prepaid tips.....so do I have to do anything or will they automatically be charged to my account?

Does Holland provide beach towels or are they like Royal and make you put a deposit down on them?

Yes your prepaid tips will be added to your account automatically. Holland does give you towels for the beach at no cost, but I don't know what happens if you lose them.

Yes, the prepaid gratuities will be added to your onboard account automatically, but as the last post (by LenQuixote66) indicates, some people do choose to supplement that with additional cash tips. There have been many threads on that subject, often with much contentiousness involved:rolleyes:, and I am not here to start another one (so hold off on getting that popcorn, folks!). Suffice it to say that it is totally up to you whether to tip cash at all, and if so, to whom, when, and how much. If you do choose to give extra cash tips, they will be appreciated and welcomed by the recipients, and you will not be the only one giving them. But if you don't, you also won't be the only one, and the crew will still treat you well.

HAL has been recording cabin numbers when we ask for towels on the gangway but I agree that often there is no one recording numbers when we bring the towels back. I do hate when I see people leave the towels behind as surely if too many continue to do that, HAL will soon stop providing them without a fee..... and who could blame them?

On our last cruise the people we were dining with (fixed seating) decided to give a gratuity to the waiter and assistant waiter ,that was given in cash .

If those people requested at the Front Desk that the automatic service charge be removed from their bill, the waiter and assistant will have to throw their tips into the general kitty. If, on the other hand, it is over and above the auto charge, it's all theirs.

The only extra tip I am aware of is for room service.

Many of us tip our cabin stewards extra.

Some of us tip the waiters in the Specialty restaurants extra.

Some people tip bartender/bar server extra.

Also, Butlers, Concierge, and Kids Program attendants are NOT included in the daily charge so need to be tipped for their service.

I am not saying that I would BUT in theory, could one have the daily service charge fee removed entirely and give their servers and room attendants cash? (What they then do with it is up to them)

They would have to hand it in to go into the pool.

I am not saying that I would BUT in theory, could one have the daily service charge fee removed entirely and give their servers and room attendants cash? (What they then do with it is up to them)

Actually that is the worst possible thing to do. If you remove the daily service fee, any monies given to individual employees MUST be turned in. If it isn't, that employee risks immediate dismissal. :(

HAL has been recording cabin numbers when we ask for towels on the gangway but I agree that often there is no one recording numbers when we bring the towels back. I do hate when I see people leave the towels behind as surely if too many continue to do that, HAL will soon stop providing them without a fee..... and who could blame them?

Once again, if HAL stops providing towels, people will have ruined it for themselves and their fellow cruisers.

Besides having to turn that money into the pool, and probably ending up getting less money, even worse for the stewards is being called up by their bosses and having to explain WHY you were so dissatisfied with their service that you refused to pay for it. :eek:

Archived