Port reviews: Copenhagen, Warnemunde, St.Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm,

We recently traveled with a group of 11 on the Norwegian Sun. This was a terrific itinerary. I found the information on these boards invaluablle during planning and I hope this information is helpful to those who will be visiting the area. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Ports of Call

Disembarkation was easy and quick. We were never asked to wait for ship-sponsored tours to leave first. There were slight delays at immigration in Russia; although we handed over our tour tickets, they never even unfolded the paper to look at them! Some lines moved very slow and some zipped right through.

Copenhagen-

We found this city very tourist-friendly. Language was not a barrier as most residents we encountered spoke or understood English well. The streets were easy to navigate, we walked everywhere; from the Marriott to Nyhavn, Stroget, Rosenborg Slot, Tivoli and more. The Marriott was comfortable and we liked the location. Having air conditioning was a major consideration for us and we did use it. We paid $101 per night through a Priceline bid. The room was front facing, rather than river view, and did not include breakfast. We did have the full breakfast buffet at an additional cost on one morning and the food offerings were ample and varied. Some in our group booked through NCL for under $200 per night and others paid around $400 per night for full priced rooms with river view, free Internet and breakfast included. I would recommend the hotel for pre-cruise accommodations.

Some of the activities we enjoyed during our two day pre-cruise stay:

The canal cruise from Nyhavn - the Netto boats, these run pretty continuously and provided am interesting perspective of the city; Lunch at a delightful sidewalk cafe in Nyhavn, serving Italian food. (If you walk towards Nyhavn along the waterfront, be sure to be on the lookout for the mini-trampolines close to the sidewalk, really neat.); Strolling on Stroget; Enjoying the street performers in the square and another lunch at a sidewalk cafe, Europa; An evening visit to Tivoli and dinner at the restaurant on the lake;The Absolute Ice Bar - just one of those hokey, touristy things that we were glad we experienced; Rosenborg Slot and Gardens - interesting, to see the crown jewels. The very best experience was our two-hour Segway tour with Tours CPH. The segways are easy to learn to ride and you are given time in an an closed courtyard area to get comfortable with the machines. Individual headsets in the helmets allow you to clearly hear tour information and directions. We saw so much of the city we may have otherwise missed, including some hidden gems such as the "garden graveyard". Highly recommended.

We used taxis from the airport to the hotel ($275 DKK for a mini-van for 6 people), and from the hotel to the cruise terminal (130 DKK). We used a credit card for this.

Embarkation was fast and easy. We arrived around 11:30 am and were onboard by 11:50. By the time we finished lunch we walked to the cabin and it was ready. Having read of the availability of soda, water and wine nearby we decided to get off the ship and pick up some beverages. We followed the blue line painted on the sidewalk, towards Nordhavn Station; 10 minutes later, under the bridge and across from the tracks we found both an Aldi store and a 7-Eleven. Neither one would take our credit card as it is a swipe and sign (not a chip and pin). (Of note, our credit card companies told us that all merchants worldwide were obligated to accept our card if they took cards of the same brand with chip and pin.)

Warnemunde -

This is a great town to explore on your own; stroll the old streets and waterfront or shop and dine. If you want to venture further, it is a short walk along the lovely harbor area to public transportation. You can travel to Rostock, and catch a train to Wismar or other nearby destinations. We did the Friends of Dave Complete Hansa Tour and I can't say enough about the memorable day we had. Dave is simply the best tour guide we have ever encountered; friendly, funny and possessing a wealth of knowledge about the region, it's people, history and architecture. Dave limits his groups to 16 and provides headsets so that you can listen to his running commentaries. Although it is a long day, there are opportunities to relax during the train rides and at lunch. Following our tour, we had a great dinner that Dave had arranged at a local pub, Bier Brannwein Kontor. They have menus in English. We followed our meal with their signature after dinner drink (sorry, I can't remember the name). It comes complete with a nail, which you pound into the table after downing the contents.

Tallinn -

It is a moderate walk from the port area to the walled city. Some in our party took a taxi from the port to the top of Toompea and walked down, finding this was less demanding; that plan worked well for them. We followed Lair Bear's walking tour and enjoyed the sights immensely. There is so much to see in this port, seems like there was something interesting no matter where we turned. We had lunch in a place at the base of Town Hall (recommended on the ports board). If you are looking for a unique dining experience, this is the place for you! The sign says "worthy elk stew full of taste". There is no table service, you go to the counter and order your stew and pie (six varieties of freshly baked pastry, from spinach or meat, to apple). Beer and beverages are also offered. The price was right, around 5 euro for lunch, and the food was very good You must sing for your spoon, and be sure to clear your dishes! Very rustic experience, with tables conveniently located for people-watching on theTown Square. The Marzipan Museum and store on Pikk, (16 I think) was interesting. Many of the hand painted figures are still made from molds dating back a few hundred years. I was able to purchase a marzipan bride and groom for an upcoming wedding. We visited the "sweater wall" near the Viru Gate and purchased some of the lovely knitted goods from these stalls. The prices did appear to be much more reasonable than those in the shops.

St. Petersburg -

After much research, we booked the Deluxe Tour with SPb. We were met at the dock by Viktoria and our guide, Elena Ivanova. We traveled in a very comfortable, newer model Mercedes van equipped with an audio system enabling is to hear our guide very clearly, even in the rearmost seats.. Headsets were provided when we ventured out of the van. During our two days we experienced a city tour with stops for photos, early entrance to the Hermitage (along with many other tour groups), Church of Our Savior on the Spilled Blood, Yusupov's Palace, a canal boat tour, the fortress of Peter and Paul, St. Isaac's Cathedral a hydrofoil ride to Peterhof, a walking tour of the lower gardens and fountains. At each stop, Elena served as a gifted guide, providing a wealth of knowledge, background, history and culture. Lunch was provided each day (we preferred the simple meat pie lunch more than the sit down meal). There were convenient stops for restroom breaks and brief shopping opportunities. We could not help but compare the quality and value of our time with SPb to other touring experiences abroad. We have toured in other countries in Europe, and used top-rated tour companies; we found this experience a complete class above the rest. That being said, nothing is perfect and we did have a couple of times when the planning did not make most effective use of time: we had "time to kill" after lunch on day two because our tickets for Catherine's Palace were for 3:00 entry, we wish we had known this and taken more time at Peterhof and a later lunch. We also realized after our tour (tired brains!) that we never had the opportunity to experience the subway. It was never mentioned and we were disappointed as it was listed on our itinerary. I am awaiting a reply from SPb abut this concern.

Helsinki -

Being completely upfront, this was my least favorite port. In hindsight, I would have stayed onboard for some relaxing time or explored other options, such as a trip to Porvoo. I'm sure my opinion was colored by the wondrous sights we had already seen in other ports. There is no need to get up early to disembark. We took the public bus (not the HOHO buses you see from the ship). You need to exit the port and wait at the marked stop for either the 16 or 14 B bus Although we were supposed to be able to purchase an all day ticket for 7 euro, the driver told us the machine on the bus was broken, so we had to purchase a 1 hour ticket for 2.70, the driver was able to make change. When you reach the town center (see park on the left) you can exit and easily walk to the Cathedral, Town Hall Square and the Marketplace. We went to the Information Center on the corner and purchased all day tickets for 7 Euro (they would not credit back the 2.70 we had already paid). We look the 3B/T tram for the entire figure 8 loop. Somehow we missed the stop for the Rock Church (our own fault) and were just too tired to be motivated to go back. We shopped a bit at the market, some nice crafts and prices seemed fair. Although the food offerings looked interesting, we decided to return to the ship for a late lunch.

Stockholm - I encourage you to get up for sail-in through the archipelago. Yes, you'll see the same scenery on your way out in the pm but the views in the early morning light are worth it IMHO, it was so peaceful and lovely, very similar to the coast of Maine and Nova Scotia. The ship passes through such narrow passages that you can see the birds and stones on the shore. I started watching from the balcony a little after 4:00 am (sunrise was around 3:45), DH joined me at 5:00. Some of my favorite photos of the entire trip were taken here.

We utilized the HOHO ferry to travel from the dock to the Vasa, then from the Vasa to Old Town (Gamla Stan and the Palace), then back to the dock. Very easy to use, stops are conveniently located. As you exit the ship, turn left immediately outside the gate, follow the red and yellow lines to the ticket booth at the end of the dock. The two companies basically do the same route. I recall it was 100SEK for a 24 hour pass and they took credit cards. The yellow one runs every 20 minutes so we chose that one. The black boats told us they ran every 20 minutes, but their printed schedule showed half-hour intervals. In the morning, they ran ship passengers directly to the Vasa (not their usual route), so we were at the doors a few minutes before the 8:30 am opening. They provide headphones at each seat onboard, with a recorded harbor tour available in many languages. The Vasa museum was an unexpected highlight of the trip. I strongly recommend it as "not to be missed". We downloaded the narrated tour to our iPods from the museum website prior to our trip and that greatly enhanced our visit. Gamla Stan is a lovely place to wander, shop, eat and enjoy the buildings and narrow passageways. We visited the palace and viewed the changing of the guard around noon. We had such a short stay in port, there was really little time to do much else. We thoroughly enjoyed Stockholm and would visit again.

I'm sorry to hear about your day in Helsinki. When I did my first Baltic cruise, with these same ports, I found Helsinki to be my favorite stop. I think that was the case because I had heard the least about it in advance, and hadn't expected much based on what everyone else had told me. Market Square was fun and I tried reindeer for the first time. Suomenlinna Island was a delight and the Rock Church blew me away. In fact, it is my love of Helsinki that has motivated me to go back for a second cruise in this region.

That is disappointing to hear that the bus driver was unable to sell you the one day ticket and forced you to buy a 1-hour ticket, and that when you purchased your 1 day ticket eventually they wouldn't credit you the cost... hm.... that doesn't really seem fair!

As far as St. Petersburg, would you be so kind as to come back and tell us what SPB says to you abuot you concern about skipping the subway ride? I have also booked through SPB and the subway ride was one of the items I requested. (for me, when I was in St. Petersburg last time, I already did the subway ride when my tour guide was through Alla - but this time around, I had opted to book and organize a tour through SPB). While I've done the subway ride, none of the other members of the group I organized have, and I know they want to see it. I will make sure our tour guide keeps to our itinerary, but I would love to hear how SPB responds to your query.

Thanks again for the review! I had no idea you could download an audio tour of the Vasa from their website. I will have to take advantage of that!

That is disappointing to hear that the bus driver was unable to sell you the one day ticket and forced you to buy a 1-hour ticket, and that when you purchased your 1 day ticket eventually they wouldn't credit you the cost... hm.... that doesn't really seem fair!

I find it really strange that the driver could sell you one ticket but not the other? They use the same machine for both :confused:

And getting the cost back from the one-hour ticket seems a no-brainer to me. Of course you can't get it back :eek:

(Do keep in mind that I'm Finnish. We don't always understand foreign people. At all.) ;)

I find it really strange that the driver could sell you one ticket but not the other? They use the same machine for both :confused:

And getting the cost back from the one-hour ticket seems a no-brainer to me. Of course you can't get it back :eek:

(Do keep in mind that I'm Finnish. We don't always understand foreign people. At all.) ;)

I completely understand what you're saying.

But it just seems to me that in this case, it was the driver's fault for not being able to sell the ticket, so the company should make it right?

I understand that if it was her fault. She only asked to buy a 1-hour ticket, and then decided later to buy an all-day ticket. Then that's her choice to pay twice for the ticket.

I don't know. I used to work at Disneyland. You could buy a 1-day ticket, let's say for $50 (not the real cost anymore). If before the end of the day, you decided you wanted to buy an annual pass - which for this example let's say cost $100, you could go to the guest services desk, tell them you wanted an annual pass, and show them the ticket you purchased to get in, and instead of charging you $100 for the annual pass, they would deduct the cost of the ticket for that day to get in, and then only charge you $50 additional for the annual pass.

In either case, with the bus in Helsinki, it doesn't make too much of a difference. The cost of the 1-hour ticket was only 2,70 Euros, so it's not like you spent $100 and then had to spend $100 more to buy what you originally wanted to buy.

But it just seems to me that in this case, it was the driver's fault for not being able to sell the ticket, so the company should make it right?

This I don't get. How was he able to sell one ticket but not the other? :confused:

And the OP went to the wrong place. The Tourist Office isn't the public transport company, they only sell the 24-hour tickets anyway.

But on with the show :)

Thanks for the port review.

Where did you dock in Stockholm?

Lois

Of course, I should have included that information.

We were docked at the Freeport Terminal

I'm sorry to hear about your day in Helsinki. When I did my first Baltic cruise, with these same ports, I found Helsinki to be my favorite stop. I think that was the case because I had heard the least about it in advance, and hadn't expected much based on what everyone else had told me. Market Square was fun and I tried reindeer for the first time. Suomenlinna Island was a delight and the Rock Church blew me away. In fact, it is my love of Helsinki that has motivated me to go back for a second cruise in this region.

As far as St. Petersburg, would you be so kind as to come back and tell us what SPB says to you abuot you concern about skipping the subway ride? I have also booked through SPB and the subway ride was one of the items I requested. (for me, when I was in St. Petersburg last time, I already did the subway ride when my tour guide was through Alla - but this time around, I had opted to book and organize a tour through SPB). While I've done the subway ride, none of the other members of the group I organized have, and I know they want to see it. I will make sure our tour guide keeps to our itinerary, but I would love to hear how SPB responds to your query.

Thanks again for the review! I had no idea you could download an audio tour of the Vasa from their website. I will have to take advantage of that!

I really think we were so tired and overwhelmed by the previous tours and ports (St. Petersburg the most recent) that we were unable to appreciate the Helsinki. The bus situation soured us a bit too. Sorry we missed the Rock Church.

As far as SPb, the first response (not Viktoria's) was that we must have taken too long at another site (no), been delayed somewhere (no), or expressed that we were not interested in the subway (again, no). It simply was not mentioned. I will be sure to post an update when i hear something.

The driver never used the machine, took our money and handed us a paper ticket.. In fact, some people got off and went to the #14 bus (I think) that had pulled up behind us at the stop so they could purchase the 24 hour ticket.

As far as you thinking paying for something twice is a no-brainer, when it was the transport system's fault, well I only used the system for the day and wanted to purchase the pass, why would I owe more than 7 Euro?

This I don't get. How was he able to sell one ticket but not the other? :confused:

And the OP went to the wrong place. The Tourist Office isn't the public transport company, they only sell the 24-hour tickets anyway.

But on with the show :)

Can't answer that question, but it happened to all of the cruise passangers that boarded with us.

I did not go to the Information Center to purchase the ticket, I went for information. When we found out they sold the 24 hour pass, we bought it. Just asked if they could give us credit for the ticket already purchased. But, your answer does explain why they would not be able to give us a refund.

It seems you took offense at my review of our experiences in your city. Please try to remember, that, on this board, the majority of posters you so generously try to help are of course foriegners.:)

It seems you took offense at my review of our experiences in your city. Please try to remember, that, on this board, the majority of posters you so generously try to help are of course foriegners.:)

Oh that's just the Finnish way of speaking. :D We are terribly blunt to the point where it's interpreted as impoliteness (and that's what it usually is ;))

I'm not at all offended. I truly believe Helsinki is both the ugliest and the least interesting port on a Baltic cruise.

I first thought the driver had conned you for some reason and were sorry that happened. Now I see that is not the point. As for the refund thing... that's just something that we'd brand "American". Asking for a refund on a bus ticket??? Geez you guys are demanding :rolleyes: (I'm kidding here, but that's how Finns would feel about it. And I love "Americans". They are so much more fun than we are :D)

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks for the port review.

Where did you dock in Stockholm?

Lois

We docked at Stadsgarten. It was so close to the city. The HOHO boats were docked practically at our bow.

How far in advance did you book the Marriott . We are going to be there next July and just wondering.

I believe I placed my bid in the early fall.

Just curious - Where did you dock in Helsinki? We are scheduled to dock in at the West Terminal, but I know there are a number of different locations. Thanks.

Helsinki sounds like a great city - my impression is that it is more modern and cosmopolitan than the other cities you visited.

Helsinki sounds like a great city - my impression is that it is more modern and cosmopolitan than the other cities you visited.

This might be a matter of opinion, but Stockholm and Copenhagen are a lot more cosmopolitan. Helsinki is also very small compared to the other cities on this itinerary.

Just curious - Where did you dock in Helsinki? We are scheduled to dock in at the West Terminal, but I know there are a number of different locations.

We docked at Hernesaari, which is in the West Harbor area if I am not mistaken.

Sippican....

In Helsinki, do you think it would be better to take the HoHo, or to buy the 1 day travel ticket. I understand the HoHo is more expensive, but do you think it would make for a less stressful day? We are on a cruise in August, and I am currently undecided. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sippican....

In Helsinki, do you think it would be better to take the HoHo, or to buy the 1 day travel ticket. I understand the HoHo is more expensive, but do you think it would make for a less stressful day? We are on a cruise in August, and I am currently undecided. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Not sure about the HOHO. I guess it would depend on what you want to see or do. The public buses and trams seem to run on a regular and frequent schedule. Other than the Rock Church, we felt no need to venture away from the city center, which was very easy to reach by bus.

Perhaps someone else who has utilized the HOHO can chime in.

Thank you Sippican.

Our plan was to buy a 1 day travel ticket and take bus 16 to market square. If its a nice day, head over to Suomennlina Island, using the ferry. Take ferry back to market square area to see the sites. Take tram 3T to Rock Church and then head back to port (I think using bus 14B). We are in Helsinki for 9 hours. Any suggestions on this plan would be appreciated.

Thank you Sippican.

Our plan was to buy a 1 day travel ticket and take bus 16 to market square. If its a nice day, head over to Suomennlina Island, using the ferry. Take ferry back to market square area to see the sites. Take tram 3T to Rock Church and then head back to port (I think using bus 14B). We are in Helsinki for 9 hours. Any suggestions on this plan would be appreciated.

That is pretty much what we did for the day, with the exception that we took the 3T/3B around the entire loop (it was interesting seeing the city) and then took the 16 bus back to the port. It was a great day and one of the most relaxing of the cruise

That is pretty much what we did for the day, with the exception that we took the 3T/3B around the entire loop (it was interesting seeing the city) and then took the 16 bus back to the port. It was a great day and one of the most relaxing of the cruise

Sounds like good advice. If there is time, that is what we will do.

Thank you.

Update.

Two weeks have passed since I received a reply to my 2nd e-mail to SPb. I was assured that customer service was their top priority and I would receive a response from Viktoria. Sadly, that has yet to come so I have just sent off my 3rd communication. This is so out of character from our pre-tour experience, where we received a reply within 24 hours of each e-mail.

I know that there is nothing to be done about the missed subway tour. However, it was part of our itinerary. (At least we didn't miss the entire port as another recent curser posted :eek:!)

Update.

Two weeks have passed since I received a reply to my 2nd e-mail to SPb. I was assured that customer service was their top priority and I would receive a response from Viktoria. Sadly, that has yet to come so I have just sent off my 3rd communication. This is so out of character from our pre-tour experience, where we received a reply within 24 hours of each e-mail.

I know that there is nothing to be done about the missed subway tour. However, it was part of our itinerary. (At least we didn't miss the entire port as another recent curser posted :eek:!)

Thank you for the update. I actually was just wondering what had happened with your sitaution.

I leave for my cruise in just a few weeks and we are booked with SPB as well. I know everyone on my tour definitely wants to do the subway ride.

I agree that it does seem so out of character that Viktoria hasn't responded to you herself.

I would appreciate it if you let me know if you ever hear from her or if there are any further updates.

Thanks!

Thank you for your very helpful trip report. I was on a Baltic cruise with my husband in 2005, and will return with my daughter in 2013. I especially appreciate hearing about the Friends of Dave tours from Warnemunde. I spent a weekend in Berlin last month, so I won't go there when the ship stops in Germany.

In 2005, we booked a private 2-day tour in St. Petersburg with DenRus and were very pleased. Now I see little mention of DenRus or Red October on CC (the two major tour companies 7 years ago), and read much more about SPb and Alla Tour. I have looked at both web sites, but the 2013 tour info hasn't yet been posted.

For the record - I had low expectations when we were in Helsinki in 2005, but it was a much more interesting city than others' reports led me to believe.

While in Helsinki, did you venture to the Olympic stadium? I ahve heard mixed reviews from this board and tripadvisor. Thanks!

During our cruise visit to Helsinki, we took a tour out to the countryside, seeing the country home/studio outside of Helsinki for famed architect Eliel Saarinen who has American connection through his later work here and his famed son, Eero, who did the St. Louis Gateway Arch, Dulles airport terminal, CBS building in NYC, TWA terminal at JFK airport, etc. Enroute, we drove by Olympic Stadium there with the statue of the "Flying Finn", runner Paavo Nurmi. We did not stop here as the "mixed" ratings are probably or somewhat true. A "drive by" was good enough to see it, say we were there and move on. We did visit the nearby park with the stainless steel monument for composer Jean Sibelius, a patriot whose most famous orchestral piece was appropriately named Finlandia. Interesting setting and sights there.

Helsinki Olympic Stadium is about 1.2 miles from the center of the Helsinki and is best known for being the center for the 1952 Summer Olympics. This stadium was built to host the 1940 Summer Olympics, which were moved from Tokyo to Helsinki before being cancelled due to World War II.

In Helsinki, my view is that the "superstars" are the Church of Rock, or Temppeliaukion Kirkko, carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design; the two large churches downtown (one Lutheran, the other Orthodox), the interesting market area, etc.

Agree with Nancy that it was better than expected. In fairness, Helsinki does not have the centuries of Royal heritage, history and architecture that you will see in Copenhagen, St. Petersburg and Stockholm.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,143 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 77,584 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, or Temppeliaukion Kirkko, is carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design.:

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

Archived