Newbie shipboard credit question

AllegraTiger

We are about to book a sailing on the Celebrity Summit in the Southern Caribbean for Dec week 1. After checking around, we discovered by booking through Travelocity we'll receive both a $75 onboard credit from Travelocity, and a $100 onboard credit from Celebrity.

A few questions...

Are they treated differently in any way? I read the fine print on both-- neither says they have exclusions, I believe for one or both I need to fill out a form and return 14 days before my departure.

This may seem obvious but does this mean I cannot book excursions in advance if I want them to go towards my "onboard" credit? We are planners, and like to have things reserved in advance, so we planned on reserving our excursions early. However this would mean the charge wouldn't technically be taking place ON the ship....I'd be booking in advance.

Thanks so much!

I think Celebrity will charge your immediately for anything you book in advance. You really shouldn't have a problem using the $175 once onboard. You can put your tips on your account...that will take a chunk! The odd drink or two, maybe purchasing a photo....that should use it up!

The "credit" goes against any charges (debits) you make...doesn't matter what you charge.

If you pre-book anything on Celebrity's website, such as excursions, drink packages or specialty dining, you have to pay online with your credit card and the OBC obviously can't be used. If you wait to book your excursions when you board the ship, they can use the OBC for that.

Thanks Kitty9 - you answered my question. I just needed to know if something reserved in advance would qualify for "onboard" credit. On a previous cruise we took, we reserved only in advance--we did not pay until the end of the trip, so it would have worked (theoretically) in that scenario.

Obviously, I'll research the finer details from there.

Celebrity has changed in the fact that they now make you pay by credit card when pre-booking anything. It used to be that you could pre-book and they would just add those things to your shipboard bill, but that's no more.

Archived