Alaska - Inside Passage?

Gidget22

If you have the time I would take a cruise that includes a land package.

That is known as either a north or south bound cruise.

As noted, you can get a lot of good information from the Alaska board.

Keith

If you have the time I would take a cruise that includes a land package.

That is known as either a north or south bound cruise.

As noted, you can get a lot of good information from the Alaska board.

Keith

With all due respects Keith, the trip that includes both a cruise and a land tour is called a CruiseTour. There are one-way cruise-only packages that are either North or South Bound, usually from Vancouver to Whittier/Haines.

With all due respects Keith, the trip that includes both a cruise and a land tour is called a CruiseTour. There are one-way cruise-only packages that are either North or South Bound, usually from Vancouver to Whittier/Haines.

Yes, I know that a north or south bound cruise does not have include a land tour.

Often if you want to do a land tour you do either a north bound or south bound cruise and then add on the land tour rather than an inside passage cruise that goes R/T from say Vancouver.

That was what I was trying to say.

I agree. I should have been clearer with they use of my terminology.

Keith

There's a big budget difference is the cruise-tours and just the cruise. So you might want to find out what's covered in the cruise tour you're interested in before you compare.

Excursions in Alaska can be pricey, but for most of us it's a big part of the trip. Sites like tripadvisor.com can give you some idea of the cost of independent excursions and your cruise line's site will give you a general idea of cost of their activities.

You should have a great time either way.

Technically "inside" passage is about going east of vancouver island.

The reality is that there are also one ways I believe west of the island that are equally enjoyable out of Seattle.

It comes down to what you are looking for and how much time you have. I've always wanted to do the land package + cruise but you are almost always looking at more than a week, also more money if you factor in the many excursions you hopefully will take on the cruise.

We are contemplating an Alaskan cruise and are debating on just the cruise or doing the inside passage up to the lodge. Any thoughts?

Technically "inside" passage is about going east of vancouver island.

The reality is that there are also one ways I believe west of the island that are equally enjoyable out of Seattle.

It comes down to what you are looking for and how much time you have. I've always wanted to do the land package + cruise but you are almost always looking at more than a week, also more money if you factor in the many excursions you hopefully will take on the cruise.

You are correct Chipmaster about inside passage vs. the r/t Seattle itineraries. We have done both. The Seattle sailings, IMHO, just not as scenic as the first and last sea days are open ocean sailing, while the Inside Passage sailings are very scenic. In addition, the sailings outside of Vancouver can experience some rougher waters than the Inside Passage sailings, although that's not set in concrete. Both can be smooth, and both can be rough.

We have yet to do the cruisetours because of time contraints. DW is self-employed and has problems being gone more than 1 business week. With travel and all, you almost always have to add an additional day or two.

Not really. No one-way cruises leave or arrive in Seattle. PVSA regulations.

Exception: Alaskan Marine Highway ferries, but I don't think they venture west of Vancouver Island. They mostly stay in the Inside Passage.

Archived